What are you working on right now?

Jeff what was the first year for those?  I have a neighbor who is the original owner of one of those Miatas and he tells me it was the first year of production.  Red also.  He uses it seasonally.

The guy next door to him has an 85 or 86 Corvette roadster he bought new...

@Steve_Mack_CT  Bloo nailed it…..I bought mine in 2010 from the original owner. A “no option” car that the dealer added AC, cruise control and a crap radio. I bought a new Miata in ‘95, sold it to my neighbor in ‘04 (he still has it) to buy  a Corvette. Watching that car drive by my house all the time, I sold the Corvette and bought this Miata. It is the most fun car to drive I have owned!

• Like 1

Next up on the winter agenda is total maintenance on the ‘48 Chrysler. Oil, filter, change trans fluid and clutch fluid, service air filter. I notice a little brake fluid on the inside of the LR tire so need to investigate……sounds like a brake job coming up! Oh,well, we do love to drive these beasts so maintaining them is a priority.

I can’t believe how heavy it is to lift the hood on this car…….it gains weight every year 😂…..

DF03384B-0A8F-49D3-B454-B5CAAA0FFBC5.jpeg

• Like 8

What "we were working on" yesterday was getting my brides Mustang ready for the Kailua-Kona Christmas Parade. Happy girl !!!  Also wiped down the Studebaker, but only drove it to breakfast with the other Paradise Cruisers. (these pics from a different  morning, but, same ole' 55, lol.

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

• Like 7

I'm working on installing all the new window channels and rubber in my '51 Pontiac Chieftain 4 door sedan.I just had all new glass made for the doors,including the 4 vent windows.I bought all this stuff from Steele Rubber.It is super expensive,but I had to have it and I must say it all fits perfect. The worst part is trying to figure out the best order in which to put it all back together.

I would like to post some pics,but for some reason my computer stopped recognizing my camera and I can't get them loaded.I'll get that resolved when my grandchildren come over.

• Haha 2

Playing around with the 3D scanner. We have a new magneto switch for the circa 1919 Lombard tractor at the museum. Unfortunately the knob is typical diecast pot metal of the era which has started to break-up. With that in mind I scanned the original with the Faro Quantum Pro imported the STL file into SolidWorks and developed the solid model and shop drawings. Next will be generating the tool paths and off to the CNC milling machine for fabrication. 

The knob on the right is the original part. It's nickel plated. To cut down on reflection which can mess-up the scan we gave it light coat of flat black. There is a special spray for this but I just haven't ordered it yet. 

The blue knob was a quick 3D print which is an exact match for the original including flaws. The image on the screen is the scan itself. 

IMG_0322.jpg.2352950439fabea4d29646ca64e3e182.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 7

On 12/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, John Byrd said:

What "we were working on" yesterday was getting my brides Mustang ready for the Kailua-Kona Christmas Parade

Ok John great photos the parade is in ? Hawaii?  Just guessing from seeing the trees.

Was getting Jaguar ready for Chistmas parade. Found a flat plus turn signals not working. Drove another car for parade. Flat repair required a tube due to spoked wheel leaking.

Checked flasher for turn signals and found 8 inches of wiring fried. Tearing out dash. Just shoot me for buying the wife a Jag.

20221216_160619.jpg

20221216_160723.jpg

As we await the blizzard and sub zero temps, on deck in my garage is the entire rear being replaced, Wizard control has now been removed, torque ball is being upgraded, transmission is coming out for a check and possible rebuild, clutch is being replaced with the relined plate...

Moment of incredible appreciation - the leaf spring kick shackles and hardware were disassembled without issue.  They were clean and well lubed, and only needed cleanup of the crusty grease on the bolt heads...no rust, no binding, no big hammers...able to remove parts by hand, much better results than I deserved today...

Its one of those moments which can cause a person who has known many mechanical struggles, setbacks and incredible rusty difficulty to sit back and say things like "wow, amazing how well that went today..."

20221220_192256.jpg

20221220_192244.jpg

20221219_190318.jpg

• Like 9

Oof, my back is now pretty sore after lowering the transmission to get to the clutch.

Wish I had a transmission jack!

I think I, and all prior owners got their money's worth out of the clutch....worn down to metal, springs falling out, this winter project was overdue.

Thankfully the pressure plate and flywheel weren't harmed.

20221221_195418.jpg

20221221_195456.jpg

• Like 8

Today was a long awaited museum work day. The day started of at a balmy 25 degrees and dropped to 15 degrees by 2:00 pm. Since our buildings are off-grid (about 1 mile from the nearest paved road) and unheated a winter work day is always interesting. However, when your keeping busy its amazing how the cold isn't noticable and how quickly the day goes by. 

Started off by cleaning out the ash pan and smokebox of the 1907 Steam Lombard Log Hauler. Its a nasty messy job working under the machine with lots of greasy bolts, chains  etc. just waiting to ding you in the head. Fortunately we were able to run the big shop vac on the solar power system.

20221227_124504.jpg.e600fbe2c6620f317588f5c4e3b778c6.jpg

20221227_124519.jpg.07df19732e74968b5a9e77480a17cb32.jpg

20221227_125810.jpg.5be87ae53ac6f89e6843257eddf2fa45.jpg

Next job was putting blocking under the logging sleds so when we go to use then in February they are not frozen to the ground. After that it was a nice lunch sitting out in the sun being serenaded by the un-muffled exhaust of the 1934, 10 ton Lombard tractor warming-up. With good friends, and left over Christmas ham could it get any better?

20210113_114942.jpg.4b4eebf531154353f8997d4a05bbbc70.jpg

One job I have been wanting to do is to remove the starter button switch on the 1934 Lombard tractor and see if I can clean up the contacts and get it working again. Currently we have it disconnected and have a key ignition which isn't correct. Unfortunately the switch is firmly affixed to the dash panel by multiple layers of paint. Come warmer weather we will have to fineness it a bit to get it out and too the bench.

Last job was digging out the horse drawn sleds which haven't been used for ..... ??.... hmmmm..... a long, long time. 

20221227_121615.jpg.dab0f5aee08a63bc3567877115d0531d.jpg

Oh... we did have the 1928 Lombard dump truck out and about. We frequently remind the "Tuesday Crew" that the Lombard tractors always fire right-up no matter how cold and we never have to use a head bolt heater or generator like they always need for their modern John Deere tractor. Anyway, one of the trucks hauling out of the University of Maine experimental forest stopped by - it made for an interesting comparison. We ribbed the driver a bit for hauling a paltry 15 cord when in 1937 a 10 ton diesel powered Lombard tractor hauled 108.5 cords (estimated weight of 298 tons.) loaded on 24 sleds. But I have to admit the dump truck looks a might bit small beside this rig.

IMG_0339.jpg.557aae633f6a72809249bf4079a92c71.jpg

824054104_LewistonJournalFeb211948.jpg.73930d9a8c664dd2f497907c2a291223.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Not antique auto. Once again I have been working on another structure for the museum. This one is a proposed 1920's era logging camp for the Log Hauler road complex. Given the current list of projects in the queue it may be a couple of years before it becomes a reality. Of all the experience I have had in engineering and design, taking an abstract thought or concept and developing it into reality is still an amazing experience.

679249350_MFLMCampNo1.jpg.11e749bac4d0404aa8f03b19d7dc6934.jpg

• Like 7

Terry, this is just so really great to see the activity you are involved with and the machinery etc. In this "new" age of push a tab technology , the "real" hands on activity and material are not often brought to the publics attention. Thank you so much for doing this.  I try to do this with my stories, articles and in person to groups that I speak to not only about the vehicles but local history. The more one can understand what happened 'then' perhaps the more appreciation will be of what we have now. Oh how I wish I lived closer to Maine so I could see what you show in person. Gotta love this.

Walt

PS there is a rumor that that log lodging accommodation is a new place to stay at Hershey, Pa.  for the annual Fall AACA extravaganza. No charge for the splinters you my acquire in your posterior /rumble seat area if you spend the night in it. No volunteers to remove the splinters in the flea market either..............

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2022 at 6:57 PM, Terry Harper said:

Today was a long awaited museum work day. The day started of at a balmy 25 degrees and dropped to 15 degrees by 2:00 pm. Since our buildings are off-grid (about 1 mile from the nearest paved road) and unheated a winter work day is always interesting. However, when your keeping busy its amazing how the cold isn't noticable and how quickly the day goes by. 

Started off by cleaning out the ash pan and smokebox of the 1907 Steam Lombard Log Hauler. Its a nasty messy job working under the machine with lots of greasy bolts, chains  etc. just waiting to ding you in the head. Fortunately we were able to run the big shop vac on the solar power system.

20221227_124504.jpg.e600fbe2c6620f317588f5c4e3b778c6.jpg

20221227_124519.jpg.07df19732e74968b5a9e77480a17cb32.jpg

20221227_125810.jpg.5be87ae53ac6f89e6843257eddf2fa45.jpg

Next job was putting blocking under the logging sleds so when we go to use then in February they are not frozen to the ground. After that it was a nice lunch sitting out in the sun being serenaded by the un-muffled exhaust of the 1934, 10 ton Lombard tractor warming-up. With good friends, and left over Christmas ham could it get any better?

20210113_114942.jpg.4b4eebf531154353f8997d4a05bbbc70.jpg

One job I have been wanting to do is to remove the starter button switch on the 1934 Lombard tractor and see if I can clean up the contacts and get it working again. Currently we have it disconnected and have a key ignition which isn't correct. Unfortunately the switch is firmly affixed to the dash panel by multiple layers of paint. Come warmer weather we will have to fineness it a bit to get it out and too the bench.

Last job was digging out the horse drawn sleds which haven't been used for ..... ??.... hmmmm..... a long, long time. 

20221227_121615.jpg.dab0f5aee08a63bc3567877115d0531d.jpg

Oh... we did have the 1928 Lombard dump truck out and about. We frequently remind the "Tuesday Crew" that the Lombard tractors always fire right-up no matter how cold and we never have to use a head bolt heater or generator like they always need for their modern John Deere tractor. Anyway, one of the trucks hauling out of the University of Maine experimental forest stopped by - it made for an interesting comparison. We ribbed the driver a bit for hauling a paltry 15 cord when in 1937 a 10 ton diesel powered Lombard tractor hauled 108.5 cords (estimated weight of 298 tons.) loaded on 24 sleds. But I have to admit the dump truck looks a might bit small beside this rig.

IMG_0339.jpg.557aae633f6a72809249bf4079a92c71.jpg

824054104_LewistonJournalFeb211948.jpg.73930d9a8c664dd2f497907c2a291223.jpg

I'm from Northern Maine, Dad hauled logs on what was called the Maine-Quebec highway, we called it the Realty Road and I remember seeing these old tractors sitting and abandoned, that was back in the 1950's.  Thanks for keeping them for everybody to see and appreciate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Terry, this is just so really great to see the activity you are involved with and the machinery etc. In this "new" age of push a tab technology , the "real" hands on activity and material are not often brought to the publics attention. Thank you so much for doing this.  I try to do this with my stories, articles and in person to groups that I speak to not only about the vehicles but local history. The more one can understand what happened 'then' perhaps the more appreciation will be of what we have now. Oh how I wish I lived closer to Maine so I could see what you show in person. Gotta love this.

Walt

PS there is a rumor that that log lodging accommodation is a new place to stay at Hershey, Pa.  for the annual Fall AACA extravaganza. No charge for the splinters you my acquire in your posterior /rumble seat area if you spend the night in it. No volunteers to remove the splinters in the flea market either..............

Thank you Walt,

One of the reasons I am involved with the Maine Forest & Logging Museum is because our mission is to provide a "Living History" experience. We have very few static displays. The intent is to provide live demonstrations and hands-on experiences for our visitors  - thus most of our major exhibits and artifacts are used and demonstrated on a regular basis to provide context rather than being stuffed and mounted with curators and docents that have no clue how the technology functioned.

I remember well as a youth a tour of a coal mine near Sidney, Nova Scotia. As we toured the underground workings our guide, who had worked that mine, always phrased his comments and answers as "This is how we did this or that..." as opposed to "This is how they did it..."  That tour has always been a vivid memory. Sadly time marches on and that first hand experience is lost to the ages.

You need to make a trip to Maine and hit some of the museums - Seal Cove, Owls head, Cole Transportation, The Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway to name a few.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, Terry Harper said:

Playing around with the 3D scanner. We have a new magneto switch for the circa 1919 Lombard tractor at the museum. Unfortunately the knob is typical diecast pot metal of the era which has started to break-up. With that in mind I scanned the original with the Faro Quantum Pro imported the STL file into SolidWorks and developed the solid model and shop drawings. Next will be generating the tool paths and off to the CNC milling machine for fabrication. 

The knob on the right is the original part. It's nickel plated. To cut down on reflection which can mess-up the scan we gave it light coat of flat black. There is a special spray for this but I just haven't ordered it yet. 

The blue knob was a quick 3D print which is an exact match for the original including flaws. The image on the screen is the scan itself. 

IMG_0322.jpg.2352950439fabea4d29646ca64e3e182.jpg

While this ^^ is very fascinating, I can’t help but wonder if a simple item like this knob would be more cost effective, not to mention more authentic approach in terms of “restoration”, to replicate by old fashion hand fabrication, instead of using all this expensive(?) modern technology that still requires fair amount of time consuming prep. 
I mean how many hours of scanning, programming, etc, not to mention all the required equipment & technology, vs. a few hours with a block of brass, few good files, some sandpaper and a vise (on a work bench) ?
Or are you perhaps intending to make a large enough production run of them to justify expenses ?

Just curious.

3 hours ago, TTR said:

While this ^^ is very fascinating, I can’t help but wonder if a simple item like this knob would be more cost effective, not to mention more authentic approach in terms of “restoration”, to replicate by old fashion hand fabrication, instead of using all this expensive(?) modern technology that still requires fair amount of time consuming prep. 
I mean how many hours of scanning, programming, etc, not to mention all the required equipment & technology, vs. a few hours with a block of brass, few good files, some sandpaper and a vise (on a work bench) ?
Or are you perhaps intending to make a large enough production run of them to justify expenses ?

Just curious.

TTR you are correct that hand methods certainly have their place. I use to fabricate all my patterns and core boxes for castings by hand - on the lathe, with hand tools etc. Once I started using 3D printing technology I realized I could do that work so much faster and efficiently. However, of more importance - I could correct errors etc. much easier. Also, while this maybe a one-off part for me I always like to think that at some point others may need it too so I like to have a set of shop drawings and archive the 3D files for every part I make and those are so much easier to develop using 3D scanning, 3d modeling etc.

As for this particular part:

15 minutes scanning, cleaning-up the scan, creating the mesh and generating the STL file.

2 hrs (maybe) working in SolidWorks to convert the scan to a solid model and generating the shop drawings.

2 minutes to import into Cura and send to the 3D printer.

..... work on other projects for 5 hours while the 3D printer does its work.....

Send the 3D print to be cast. or skip the 3D print and go to our CNC mill.

We also have to remember that every technique and technology has its limitations and  may not be the best choice for every application. For instance, awhile back I needed to fabricate a knob and bezel for a (faux) magneto switch. (i.e. disguising a modern switch as an American Bosch switch.) While the bezel and knob could be a simple, quick turning job on the lathe the engraved text and logo were not. However, using 3D modeling and our CNC milling machine it was a really simple job to mill the shapes and engrave the logo and text. We only used the lathe for the knurling. Without the technology it would have been difficult indeed to create the finished part. 

IMG_0605.JPG.cd3a8258418e447b054e22d9bd615d23.JPG

I have ready access to the technology and half a lifetime working with it and teaching it so it makes sense that I would take advantage of it. In the end we use the technics and technologies that best suit or particular skill set, experience, situation and time available. Whatever the process, the important thing is to enjoy the work you are doing and take pride in your craftsmanship.

• Like 9

On 12/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, edinmass said:

They are a truck……a very fast truck. 

All else (mechanical condition, etc) being equal, compared to any same era, similar stature/value American cars you’ve driven ?

Like if you had to drive from, let’s say, Pebble Beach to LAX, using secondary (period correct ?) highways/roads and had time limitations to get there ?

Just curious.

TRR

Without being a jerk, (Hard for me not to!) 

I have driven just about every major marque pre war American car you can think of…….especially the big stuff. I have driven the entire PCH in many different cars. Model J, Packard 12, Pierce 12, P1 Rolls, DV32, the list is endless. All cars are unique and have positive and negative aspects to them.  

PM me your phone number if you want to chat and interact for more information. Best, Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

TRR

Without being a jerk, (Hard for me not to!) 

I have driven just about every major marque pre war American car you can think of…….especially the big stuff. I have driven the entire PCH in many different cars. Model J, Packard 12, Pierce 12, P1 Rolls, DV32, the list is endless. All cars are unique and have positive and negative aspects to them.  

PM me your phone number if you want to chat and interact for more information. Best, Ed

Ed,

Firstly, I don't or wouldn't take anything from you as "being a jerk", especially when I believe we're both cut from similar cloth of quite dark and dry sense of humor coupled with longterm hands-on experience with old cars, although your's being more pre-war (high-end) focused than mine, hence my general curiosity for driving impressions based on you experience/knowledge.

As for your offer to chat/interact, I truly appreciate it and one of these days will take you up on it in hopes of learning and perhaps comparing/sharing our experiences over a lunch or dinner + appropriate amount of adult beverages.

• Like 2

60 miles east of LAX……get there several times a year. Especially the week before and after Pebble. Shoot me a PM two weeks before the show……..we can have lunch. Best, Ed.

• Like 1

Back before the holiday we put the finishing touches on some patterns and shop drawings for the Stanley Museum in Kingfield, ME. These are for a faux-Prestolite tank regulator. Its non-functional - the headlamps having been discreetly converted to electric. If you happen to be planning a trip to Maine please include the Stanley Museum in your "to-do" list. Great collection and fantastic people and a wonderful area to tour around - especially in the Fall when the foliage is at peek color.

This was a "live work" project for one of my students who is now working on a Mechanical Engineering degree at the University of Maine. Live work projects are important because they provide our students with practical application of the skills they learn in our programs and real world hands-on experience. Our "fee" is usually material costs and a donation to the program.

IMG_0325.jpg.1ec1c712e8ae5e3bacc4fca8dd63c9f3.jpg

• Like 7

Not sure why but I am reverse engineering the end cap assembly for a North East Model LB 12 volt generator for the big Sterling T-head in the circa 1919 Lombard tractor. 

As been my luck lately its the dreaded 1920's pot metal with the same predicable condition - cracked and broken. I suppose we could find another generator but I am curious about the challenge of fixing this one.

The task today was 3D scanning the part itself which doesn't take long at all. In this case maybe 45 minutes to an hour to scan, clean-up and align and generate the mesh. It took 5 scans to capture the whole part. We have an 8th axis rotary stand to hold the part which makes scanning much easier.

Here are the scans after alignment. You pick four common points and the software does the rest. If I do my part the scanner accuracy should be around .0008

Scan.jpg.11e3b4f347fdb93df775ff9b3981a23e.jpg

Next task is generating the mesh model and repairing any holes in the mesh and smoothing out and fixing any anomalies. You have to be careful here to not alter or remove features. Once complete its saved as an STL file. At this point many people assume we can just send it to the 3D printer etc. and its done. Not so. Some simple parts yes but not for more complex parts such as this. The scanner has a hard time capturing the inside of holes or small recesses of any appreciable depth. Added to that the model at this point will include any defects etc. All this needs to be repaired before its ready for printing. If its a part that is going to be cast than we have to use the scan to develop the pattern. Adding draft, machining allowance, plugging holes or adding core prints and adjusting for shrinkage. All of this will be done in a modeling program such as SolidWorks and can take from a few minutes to quite a few hours - this is where the big bucks are spent! 

I work with SolidWorks so... the STL files is imported and the work begins!

Here is the 3D scan imported into SolidWorks.

preview.JPG.428e37c7e24de268ba4a6e37986ea4a7.JPG

Untitled.JPG.56240ebe6b7248327ea81a3dbf707df1.JPG

So... the plan.... The ideal solution would be 3D metal printing. However, I don’t have that capability (yet) and being a fairly sizeable part it can get expensive. If I were to go that route I would have to add machining allowance to areas that require machined surfaces and fits and tolerance to maintain design intent. Again, any defects would need to be taken care of as well. No big problem if you can do it yourself but if you have to pay to have someone do the work than again expect to spend some cash.

The plan as it stand now… Since its a pretty complex diecast part we will have to simplify the design quite a bit to be able to turn and mill this out. With that in mind the 3D scan will serve more as a template. We will see how that all works out!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished the reverse engineering of the rear housing for the North East generator for the circa 1919 Lombard tractor. Here are some screen captures of the completed Solidworks model.

1795256485_SolidworksModel-1.jpg.5a7b9561e349e9983a34ca76444b4f4e.jpg

1113045090_SolidworksModel-2.jpg.bcfff8b18b7870055a45cb28b351861f.jpg

And a section view

837111142_SolidworksModel-3.jpg.cd2fe503178b043330451a663ab166b1.jpg

And finally the all important shop drawings. At this point we probably have about 10-12 hours into the project including scanning. It a fairly complex part.

IMG_0359.jpg.68333d364d635ac4c2c7052bc2b4fcad.jpg

With the model complete we now have a choice in how we want to proceed from here. Simplest would be modifying the model a bit to add machine allowances and send it out to be 3D metal printed with a little machine work for some of the areas that require precision fit such as the bearing pocket. That's the direction we are leaning. Another option is 3D printing a pattern and using the lost PLA method of casting which is a form of investment casting. The last option would be drastically simplifying the design and CNC milling and turning it out of solid. We shall see!

• Like 13

On 1/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Terry Harper said:

We just finished the reverse engineering of the rear housing for the North East generator for the circa 1919 Lombard tractor. Here are some screen captures of the completed Solidworks model.

And a section view

And finally the all important shop drawings. At this point we probably have about 10-12 hours into the project including scanning. It a fairly complex part.

With the model complete we now have a choice in how we want to proceed from here. Simplest would be modifying the model a bit to add machine allowances and send it out to be 3D metal printed with a little machine work for some of the areas that require precision fit such as the bearing pocket. That's the direction we are leaning. Another option is 3D printing a pattern and using the lost PLA method of casting which is a form of investment casting. The last option would be drastically simplifying the design and CNC milling and turning it out of solid. We shall see!

Ok.... just got a quote to have the piece made using DMP (direct metal printing) in aluminum. I knew it would be expensive and mostly likely out of our budget range but this was an eye watering  $1,999.00. Mind you there is no design work on their end. I have taken care of that - just setup, machine time, materials and post processing. Understand that the cost of an industrial DMP printer is staggering and materials are not cheap. They cannot crank out hundreds of parts per hour to amortize the cost. Add the quote to the value of the time I have in the project to date (if it wasn't pro bono) and we are around $3,500.00 Then we still have machining to do with programming, setup and machine time to consider. 

Now to plan 'B'.... which is lost PLA.... this is nothing more than a type of investment casting similar to lost wax casting. Only we use a 3D printed PLA pattern. Once invested the PLA pattern is burned out leaving a cavity that replicates the pattern exactly. Once cast we breakaway the investment and we have a really nice casting for a very reasonable cost.

So... off we go on that adventure!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:42 AM, Terry Harper said:

And a section view

Thank you for sharing. A lot more complicated than photo shop. So you have a method of making a file of a small part that is not damaged?