What are you working on right now?

My jobs are pretty boring compared to most of these posts, but .... my bride is real happy with what I'm doing to her plain red Mustang, ha !  BUT, like Terry Harper, today we rode up and down the coast street on our little motor scooters and enjoyed our world !!  ( my bride loves to splash around in the ocean ) On top of that, I left the Studebaker out all night with the windows down and wasn't worried about it... love this heaven on earth over here.

DSCN0047.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9200.JPG

IMG_9158.JPG

DSCN0045.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

OK folks, one more post about the striping job we did on Karen's Mustang, then I'm getting back to work on something I can get dirty on, ha ha !  We finished it yesterday evening, so I took it out to get highway grime, sand, and salt on it to "break it in" this morning.  Neat car, hope she lets me drive it again, lol..

IMG_9221.JPG

IMG_9215.JPG

IMG_9217.JPG

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9227.JPG

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 5

All done but the packing and shipping. This is a reproduction of an optional teak wheel on 65/6 Corvettes. I have been making these for about 30 years now and all for the same guy. This one is on a 67 center. Even though the teak wheel was not available for 67 cars he puts them on all of his restorations anyway. The first picture has a glossy finish on it because that's what I build the finish up with. The last coat is satin because that's what they were when new.

IMG_4913.JPG

• Like 6

I had some left over 3/8" thick steel plate so I decided to make some hooks for the tractor bucket this past week.  Today I swapped out the marker lights on the trailer to LED and they're nice and bright.  I also cut some air pressure stickers on the vinyl cutter for the trailer rims.  I put some on the tractor rims too.  

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I have been putting this task off for a while but now it is time to take the horse by the tail and face the situation. I need to put a starter in my 1913 Model T to save my shoulder for other uses, or even be able to use it! I had a few episodes of hard starting which I resolved but decided it is time to take action. So I got started this afternoon with this disassembly. As long as I have the motor and transmission out everything will get disassembled and inspected since the last time it was apart was 1959.

24534E14-A4E4-42DD-9BE2-A2E24CC8D385.jpeg

• Like 8

For the last couple of Saturdays, the turn signals in my 55 Studebaker have been "occasionally" acting up, you know, the worst kind of "acting up". These old cars have breakers instead of fuses for nearly everything too, so that tends to make the chase more difficult, as the breaker re-sets almost immediately. The left front has turned out to be the only one that doesn't light up, but to make up for it, BOTH of the little indicator lights on the dash light up and blink when the left signal is turned on. I have started , like any good wanna-be mechanic, chasing and changing and testing one thing at a time, but haven't found the culprit yet.  After looking in my shop manual and seeing all the places and things that the signal harness is connected to or passes close to, I have decided that the Electrical Engineers at Studebaker hooked this system to every single thing they could to un-simplify the diagnostic process.... I think it is even hooked somehow to my house, as the garage light switch mysteriously quit working during one session.  I love my old car, but I am thinking of ordering a large bore weapon or a huge "billy club" and pacing back and forth in front of it making threatening comments. I'll win eventually, but these old, tired, impatient, less flexible bones and muscles are getting their fill of this "hide the problem" game, ha !  As always, comments, teases, and even ridicule is always welcome !

EDIT:   Found a loose wire hanging out of the "6 wire connector" up in the bowels of the dash....problem solved !!!

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

@John Byrd Generally when I am ready to toss a stick of dynamite in my recalcitrant car, I often find the origin of whatever problem I am trying to solve. I used to have a lot of close calls with my 1948 Packard, but so far my 1948 Chrysler has not been threatened at all!

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

This week it’s been all about snow removal equipment. Getting ready for the coming snow season. The one blower got a new belt, friction wheel, oil change, lube drive chains etc. My other smaller blower needs to come out of hibernation still. Then it’ll be the ATV. It’s due a service too. It has a snow blade. I’m fortunate to have good tools to keep the driveway clear. Ya Just gotta keep them well serviced. 

My Wife tells me her car is showing 10% life remaining on its engine oil. My diesel truck is due for its annual oil & filter change. My small commuter car needs a new thermostat and a coolant flush & fill. 2 vehicles here need snow tires installed. 

Lots to keep me busy this coming weekend! This work is all due before I can get back to working on my ‘38 Plymouth engine rebuild.

I chose this life for myself! Lol. I’m a slave to powered vehicles and lawn & garden power products. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Ok I think you are right. Counting all pistons that I care for here on my property, I nurse along. 

36 that I can think of.  Too many. Lol. 

Ha!  I use tires as a measurement of when i have too much going on.  Right now, I have 26 that can go flat at any time 😆

Since I built such a nice hitch for the truck and works very nice I decided that the tractor needs one too. So I went through the steel rack to hunt for some stuff to make a 3 point hitch receiver.  It came out pretty nice.  Now that it's done it's time for prime, paint and clear.  

IMG_6792.JPG

IMG_6793.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finished.  Ready to go to work.  I have one more thing to make to add to my hitch collection.  I acquired a pintle hook head a long time ago and I have an old receiver tube and plate that had a vise on it so I'm going to do a little mod so I can mount the pintle hook to it.  Then I should be covered.

IMG_6797.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

• Like 3

With the help of my honey, Cherrie and her cousin, Greg, we were able to put Pegasus back up on the finished garage wall today. We had to string it up with a pulley system first and then wire it into place....

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Put the New Yorker away for the season yesterday!  Such a nice Fall day for trip to my storage building not too far north of Pittsburgh, very pleasant drive in one of my favorite all around cars. 

Had a bunch of little stuff to do this year to it, starter and solenoid rebuilt mainly due to an intermittent no-start issue earlier this year; the solenoid needed new windings and also rebuilt/polarized the generator - almost done except the hubcaps, which I hope to refinish over the winter.  

Resized_20211104_150403.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

What better way to await the Thanksgiving feast than taking a short ride in the Maine woods! Yesterday, my daughter and I found ourselves anxiously awaiting the feast. Rather than making a pest of ourselves (or to be more truthful not wanting to peel potatoes or squash) we zipped over to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum to check out the sled pavilion and Lombard road project. Needless to say it being a crisp, clear morning we could not resist taking the 10 ton 1934 Lombard tractor out for a maiden run on the new Log Hauler road. Its still a bit rough and needs some final grading and there are few tight spots but otherwise the big green beast made it around in fine style... and we made a little noise.

Below, back on a warmer day, Herb Crosby and I discuss the finer points of driving this beast.

IMG_1264.JPG.487e3a7da7ee76c2afbdac15884c7420.JPG

• Like 8

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Top speed is around 10 miles an hour?

Anything you drive only goes about ten miles per hour.........🤔