Walked around the local old junkyard today.

junkyardjeff

I walked around my "kinda local" old junkyard yesterday, the stuff in there looks just like your pictures! The trip was necessary as I was looking for a replacement grille thanks to a deer encounter, I was lucky and found everything I needed. Nice day for a winter walk too!

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

That looks like the same place we went to when we were looking for a rear end for my '60 Edsel several years ago. I remember you saying that you couldn't even see most of those cars in the summer because of all the vegetation. Thanks for the pics.... :)

Its the same place.

16 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I miss walking around the yards that were here when I was young.  Like most I though they would always be there. Now around here there is nothing older than the 2000's that I can see and not much more of those as city and county pressure to basically get rid of  those "eyesores" is high.

When I was a kid most of the cars were about 20 years old. No pre-1930's cars. Even the 1940's convertibles weren't worth the cost of a new top.

In 1962 you could bring home a 20-ish year old Buick for forty bucks. No demand for parts so they would sell a whole car. I bought one.

"Nuthin' changes but the date"

• Like 1

When I first started buying out of this yard I would look at the plates that were on the cars and suprised that alot were driven less then 10 years before being junked and they were not wrecked,my daily drivers are 30 years old and no way would have junked one less then 10 years old and easy to work on.

The last junk yard I went to was 1977 or 78 while I was at Pease AFB, NH.  As I recall, the junk yard was around 20 miles west of Kittery Maine..

All were 1930s cars and trucks in a similar condition to Jeffs photos.

The only thing I got was a set of original Chevrolet Spark Plug terminals that I still have on my 1933 Chevrolet

They had a lot of early Chevrolets to include a 1933 Chevrolet Master, and  a 1933 or 34 Chevrolet Standard.  They also had a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

6 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

When I first started buying out of this yard I would look at the plates that were on the cars and surprised that alot were driven less then 10 years before being junked and they were not wrecked,my daily drivers are 30 years old and no way would have junked one less then 10 years old and easy to work on.

Whether we like the newer cars and trucks or not no one can deny that they are much better  made and more corrosion resistant than ever.  And when you take into account the average miles accumulated today to past years if is even more amazing.  Give the average driver from the 50's a car made today and he/she would probably never have to buy another one.

We spent last Friday, December,27 2019, picking parts in a local junkyard located in Blaine, Tn. Not much left for Chevrolets older than 1960, but quite a few Fords and Mopars from the '50s and 60s including a few fastbacks from the late 60s early 70s. We also spied a few Buicks from the 50s. We intend to go back soon for more parts. Mine for '52 Buick Special and '55 Pontiac Chieftain, my cohort, '61-'63 Chevy. Fortunately the trees have not been allowed to grow over most of the cars, therefore allowing them to dry out after a rain instead of staying damp under the canopy.Some possible salvageable projects may be had, depending on floor condition. I'll let you know how the next trek goes.

I am from the Dayton, Ohio area, and have spent many decades enjoying treks through local junkyards. But this one is not familiar to me. There are only  a few left in our area, including one with cars clear back into the 1930's...and at least one even older than that. I still go to that one from time to time.