Which is better?

JohnD1956

Whats better? Heat or cold  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better,

• Seeing the snow and know you're not able to drive your cars?
    • Seeing the high heat and humidity and not wanting to drive your cars?

Noticing the talk of heat indexes in excess of 100 degrees and accompanying high humidity, I sometimes wonder what is the better of the two options?  And just for fun, why people may think it's better too.  Please answer the poll question and feel free to include your point of reference. 

To start, let me say that I have come to relish the idea of not driving my cars for a few winter months, as it seems to make them more attractive when I can get them out on the road again. 

I'll take the heat and high humidity over snow.  Weather here in TN is good enough that I can drive comfortably with the windows down about 8-9 months out of the year. When it's really hot and humid in the summer I often drive with the windows down and the AC blowing if I have to go slow.  I try to avoid driving on the interstate but if I have to the windows go up and the AC goes on. We rarely get snow so I can drive in the cold months too but I rarely do.

• Like 2

I'll take heat/humidity over snow every time...absolutely hate snow.  '91 Reatta and '00 Eldorado get stored in igloos around December and reemerge in April each year.

• Like 1

I have to agree with JohnD1956, i would rather be in the winter. must be a NY thing

you can always bundle up but the heat yuk

and i feel the cars are always working near the limit in the high heat and if you have a problem you are in trouble

gimmie some cool weather lol

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We have heat, humidity and snow..... Just not usually on the same day!😉

I find snow a lot more fun than humidity. 

A hint on shoveling snow: Stay inside and enjoy yourself. Where do you need to go? That's what vacation days are for if you are still working. And that's also what a Ford 8N is for, plowing the driveway! Turns work into fun! If it isn't fun, I go back inside....👍

8N 3-4 view small.jpg

If snow's happening, then only the "daily driver"/expendable vehicles should be on the road.  Well-insured, too.  Road conditions plus the chemicals that are used to make the roads somewhat usable don't need to be accumulate on any vehicle that you really care about keeping, to me.  IF you are affluent to afford to have two vehicles!  Snow time is work time, with a suitable vehicle enclosure for such.

As for the heat and such, that's why they make drink coolers and absorbent terry cloth towels to put on the seats.  PLUS, road speed generates ventilation inside the car.  KEEP MOVING!

As Old-Tank mentions, having a working a/c system in the cars helps keep you comfortable (and the oil in the systems moved around) to drive in the hotter weather (regardless of the humidity factor).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

At least in preparing for winter, you know what the next number of months will be like.  I really dislike wanting to get out in the summer, but weather playing havoc with that.  Those days you planned to get out, then the weather turned sour, or the weather prediction was just out to lunch are such a bummer.

It may be even worse to want to get out, but unable because there are too many other things that need doing.

I have to admit that there are times when I really like seeing the snow, and a lot of it. It's like there's no pressure to get a car out and go do something. That's kind of a relief, actually.

In addition, I like having those winter months to plan larger projects without having to miss any driving. I get a lot done in the winter on my cars so they're ready in the spring and having a few months of down time allows me to undertake projects that take more than a weekend to finish. That forced downtime is kind of nice if you have a car that needs stuff fixed. I make a "kill sheet" of tasks. This winter, the Limited will be getting a new radiator, all-new weatherstripping, an electrical bus for powering accessories, a new fuel system, and maybe a new spare tire well. My 1929 Cadillac will be getting its overdrive reworked and the leaf springs and shocks rebuilt. All that stuff takes time, but if I can't drive, it's almost as enjoyable to tinker. Bring on the snow!

26 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I don’t know why people even live north of the Mason-Dixon, much less own and drive old Buicks there. 

Now give me a helmet and get me outa here Percy. 

There is a reason. But we can't tell you.

the Prime Directive (also known as "Mason-Dixon General Order 1", "General Order 1", and the "non-interference directive") is a guiding principle of the North, prohibiting its members from interfering with the internal and natural development of southern civilizations.

• Haha 2

Well, didn’t this thread get a little out of control on the fabulous side?

Thanks for the laughs folks!

Well, @MrEarl, if you don’t think Buicks belong north of Mason-Dixon (let alone 49th), then you need to talk to She Who Must Be Obeyed about your dream of a Gull Gray 69...that is, of course, unless you’ve gone completely over to the PW side of the Buick house 😜

Edited by Thriller
Tag, you’re it! (see edit history)

I went down the mountain once.

It was hot, sticky, and they had bugs.

Don't think I'll do that again !

But we will go ride our ATV's again this year on new years day.

Last year we only did about 60 miles, and barely got the tires wet.

But then we are in "banana valley" at only 8500 ft.

Mike in colorfull Colorado

• Haha 1