John_Mc

Chicago car guy moving to Central FL?

Guys, my wife are looking to move within about 100 miles of Orlando.  Besides typical agents and Hemming's, anyone have a way to find what we are looking for??  A 3 bedroom ranch with either a greatly enlarged garage or availability for an outbuilding?  Also, we don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.  Seems there a thousands of homes in sub-divisions that all have the same footprint.  I'll need room/shop for about 4-5 toy cars.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Sent you a PM

Beware of communities with a Homeowners' Association (HOA).  Some of the fine-print in their by-laws is very anti-car!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Try CarProperty.com and write to the AACA Regions in the areas you are considering and put a wanted ad

in their newsletters.

We all fight the battle of enough garage space, there are many solutions, but a problem getting Realtors to

agree there is a real demand.  Florida is full of aging car guys thinking of down sizing and they may respond

to your needs.  I sold our Florida  5 car garage home to people who had no idea what to do with it..  I would

have responded to your want ad.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harold said:

Beware of communities with a Homeowners' Association (HOA).  Some of the fine-print in their by-laws is very anti-car!

A lot of stuff can be hidden in those CC&R's. And it can tie into other things going on around the communities in question. If you move just outside the city limits, a copy of the city comp plan might be a good read as well.  

The very first thing to as is to see the CCRs even before seeing the property.

Before I started my build I was shopping for just what you are looking for up here in Oregon.

I found a great place where a farmer had split off some 10 acre lots year ago, they were all built on by now and I struck a deal on a place with a lot of storage and space.

There was no mention of any restrictions, as this was way out in the country.

But when the day came to close the deal the realtor handed me a stack of stuff to review and there it was.

I was limited to three goats, OR four llamas, no pigs, up to four horses but no cattle, cant park a boat or camper outside...…..WHAAAT????

You cant even see any of the neighbors places,

Turns out the farmers realtor that helped him split up his land suggested this to keep guys like me from moving out there.

Talk about a disappointed seller, He had no idea that there was any restrictions, he just liked living out in the country.

All of the neighbors suggested that I could most likely live as I liked out there, just do it, even the farmer said there should be no problems.

So, I told the seller that if all the neighbors and the farmer would agree to lift ALL restrictions. In other words remove all the CCRs from all of the deeds I would move forward.

The farmers son who lived about a mile away and would not agree (blamed it on his wife of coarse).

Done deal gone bad.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

CC&R's do not do you much good when they are just one of the pieces of information you need to make an informed decision, in your due diligence period. Where I used to live a person would need to look at a few sources of information, or hope that other people would share what knowledge was gathered by people who were on committees before them.  

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

In the northeast, they use deed restrictions. When I bought my land, I purchased all my other neighbors deed restrictions for an additional 10k. The person holding them was moving south permanently. It was interesting when the neighbor across the street was starting to install a large solar array without knowing about the restrictions or who owned them. I didn’t want to look at a field of glass across the street from mine, even though my driveway is 1000 feet long. They didn’t care because from their home, the hill made the glass impossible to see. Long story short......they thought they would try and jam me up...........they said sue me. Having been involved in real estate for years, I informed their mortgage lender, I would be the new first lean holder on the property. They immediately told them they were calling the mortgage. Problem solved. Lesson.......you need to understand EVERY property that is an abutting or you can end up with problems. Example.......your property’s restrictions may be recorded on the neighboring deed. Yup, in Massachusetts you can place the restrictions on the deed from where the subdivision took place. The term is called “due diligence”, and  let me assure you, your lawyer isn’t looking as hard as he or she should. Most closings are just fifty pages of sign this, and nothing get read. Think about it, for a 790-1200 dollar closing, you think an attorney is going to read and understand all that BS? Nope. Most people move only one or two times into a home. Learn everything about the town, bi laws, homeowners association, Ext. Trust me, it’s hard and time consuming work. I have been renting in my new city for 18 months to figure out everything.........money I hate to spend, but with house prices in the 500 plus category.......a mistake is very costly. My new area is a historic district...........I do NOT recommend anyone make a similar purchase without a long time local representative. Moving a fifty year old shed ten feet can cost tens of thousands of dollars, or the answer may be.......no, you can’t move it. You also can’t take it down. Strange world we live in.

PS- now that I am selling my home,  I have offered the restrictions (all 12) to each property owner for between three and seven thousand dollars. All have expressed interest in purchasing them. Nice windfall profit after twenty years.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I have a home you might be interested in. It is a 3 bedroom, 2/2 bath with 3 car attached garage, a 4 car garage and a 60 x40 metal workshop in the back sitting on 12 acres in nw Ocala. I am a LZOC long time member with two early continentals and 2 early Zephyrs in residence. The total car capacity is 11 cars...three in attached garage, 4 car detached garage and a four car metal garage/workshop and office . Surrounding homes are primarily 3 and 12 acre homes. This might fit your needs. Available now.  Email if you might be interested 

John Murphy LCOC, LZOC, AACA since 1975

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Florida is full of aging car guys thinking of down sizing and they may respond to your needs. 

I hope so.  However, AACA past president Earl Beauchamp

(Dynaflash8 on our forum) paints a different picture of where

he lives in Florida.  He says there is no AACA region anywhere close to

him, and the shows are full of street rods.  The roads are busy and

aren't the scenic country roads that encourage getting out the old cars.

It sounds as if he very much regrets moving to Florida, at least as far as

enjoying his hobby is concerned.

So check the activity of the AACA region in the area.  Maybe Ocala is

better, because the region near there has hosted national meets

recently, and Jim and Rick Schmidt (active parts suppliers) have 

their big collection there.

From what @edinmass is saying, I am glad we have the system of land title we do. All memorials affecting a property are on the title, including mortgages and other financial interests of other parties, rights of way and covenants. A neighbour's title is not relevant. Town plans and zones are relevant of course. Even designations for future road corridors are searchable. The deed system was ditched in 1870 in favour of the Torrens system.

Restrictions such as those discussed above are registered on the title in covenants. The property over the road has a covenant on the height of the wind break trees. It was placed by the owner of the property above, but to do that, he bought the property, put on the covenant and sold the property again.

• Like 1

Oh Give Me A Home .....

Where The Buffalo Roam .....

And The Neighbors Leave Me Alone .....

Where Seldom Is Heard .....

” Your Old Car Looks Like A Turd “ ......

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Realtor app is pretty good. You can select the geography and other screening criteria like garage size or lot size. 

Sounds dumb,  but I wouldn't rule out Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.  Often people go there when they are kind of interested in selling but haven't quite made the final decision as they aren't in a contract.  We bought our home by word of mouth.  It wasn't listed yet and the owner was just getting around to thinking about selling it.  Also save the realtor fees which means we got it for less because the seller would have stacked them on his asking price so they didn't come out of his pocket. 

I leave no stones unturned when looking for something.  Car, real estate, Equipment , etc. 

I also don't put alot of faith in realtors finding you what you are looking for.  I told a few different realtors,  what my budget was, what I was looking for,  and the must haves,  which were a very short list and somewhat flexible.  They sent me a couple of suggestions which really offered none of the must haves and that was it.  This was in an area where houses we were looking at could need work but I really would like an existing shop structure even if it needed work within a 20 square mile area and a budget of max 375.  Many properties were priced under that and sometimes 100g or more less. I found several on my own that had potential.  None of which were suggested by the realtors but were even in their systems.  

Goes back to if you want something done right,  you need to do it yourself.  Also sold both my houses on my own after the realtors couldn't.  

10 hours ago, John Murphy said:

I have a home you might be interested in. It is a 3 bedroom, 2/2 bath with 3 car attached garage, a 4 car garage and a 60 x40 metal workshop in the back sitting on 12 acres in nw Ocala. I am a LZOC long time member with two early continentals and 2 early Zephyrs in residence. The total car capacity is 11 cars...three in attached garage, 4 car detached garage and a four car metal garage/workshop and office . Surrounding homes are primarily 3 and 12 acre homes. This might fit your needs. Available now.  Email if you might be interested 

I have a place in Ocala as well, very car friendly. I off of airport road

Ocala is a great location. We have been here 13 years and find it very old car friendly.  Even though I do not have an older car at the moment I do go to several good shows in the area. Just a short hop to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville. I live on the east side close to Silver Springs. Check with some of the horse ranch realtors for a good property also.

• Like 1

It might be easier to find a Horse farm if you don't mind a little rehab to get the barn the way you want it,  but most are metal buildings so it's not like rehabbing a 200 year old wood barn. 

18 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I hope so.  However, AACA past president Earl Beauchamp

(Dynaflash8 on our forum) paints a different picture of where

he lives in Florida.  He says there is no AACA region anywhere close to

him, and the shows are full of street rods.  The roads are busy and

aren't the scenic country roads that encourage getting out the old cars.

It sounds as if he very much regrets moving to Florida, at least as far as

enjoying his hobby is concerned.

So check the activity of the AACA region in the area.  Maybe Ocala is

better, because the region near there has hosted national meets

recently, and Jim and Rick Schmidt (active parts suppliers) have 

their big collection there.

Earl moved to Sebring FL where swamps and solitude are the big attractions.   There are big active AACA Regions in Sarasota, Tampa,

Lakeland, Orlando, Dade City and Pinellas County's non- AACA PinMAR, all close enough for Earl to get to functions and closer than Ocala.

Florida's west coast is full of antique car guys from Naples to Tallahassee.  Yes there are plenty of Streetrods, but many if us have both.

I have one Resto-Mod and 5 Antique cars and have belonged to the Pin-MAR Club in St. Pete,/Clearwater for 47 years. .  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harold said:

Thanks and that's exactly what I'm concerned about!

John;

We retired a year and a half ago from Pa. to Palm Bay.  We are a few minutes from rte 95, just off the Atlantic /Coast and the Indian River.  The Grant Valkaria area is probably what you are looking for.  The Cape Canaveral Region (which we joined) is just North of us and the Vero/Indian River Region just south.  A fantastic car culture down here!!.  The big problem is that property here moves fast.  Don't take too much time making up your mind or it will be gone!!  If I can aid you in your search in this area, feel free to contact me.  Happy to help!!

Dave Anspach

22 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Try CarProperty.com and write to the AACA Regions in the areas you are considering and put a wanted ad

in their newsletters.

We all fight the battle of enough garage space, there are many solutions, but a problem getting Realtors to

agree there is a real demand.  Florida is full of aging car guys thinking of down sizing and they may respond

to your needs.  I sold our Florida  5 car garage home to people who had no idea what to do with it..  I would

have responded to your want ad.

That is a GREAT idea and I will do just that, thanks!

19 hours ago, John Murphy said:

John, I just sent you a PM

21 hours ago, JACK M said:

The very first thing to as is to see the CCRs even before seeing the property.

Before I started my build I was shopping for just what you are looking for up here in Oregon.

I found a great place where a farmer had split off some 10 acre lots year ago, they were all built on by now and I struck a deal on a place with a lot of storage and space.

There was no mention of any restrictions, as this was way out in the country.

But when the day came to close the deal the realtor handed me a stack of stuff to review and there it was.

I was limited to three goats, OR four llamas, no pigs, up to four horses but no cattle, cant park a boat or camper outside...…..WHAAAT????

You cant even see any of the neighbors places,

Turns out the farmers realtor that helped him split up his land suggested this to keep guys like me from moving out there.

Talk about a disappointed seller, He had no idea that there was any restrictions, he just liked living out in the country.

All of the neighbors suggested that I could most likely live as I liked out there, just do it, even the farmer said there should be no problems.

So, I told the seller that if all the neighbors and the farmer would agree to lift ALL restrictions. In other words remove all the CCRs from all of the deeds I would move forward.

The farmers son who lived about a mile away and would not agree (blamed it on his wife of coarse).

Done deal gone bad.

What a nightmare!  Thanks, good thoughts and we will do our homework.

15 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Take me with you, I can have the Plymouth packed in a day!

HA, yes isn't living in the Land of Lincoln wonderful????  We can't wait to get the hell out of here.  Cook County has destroyed this state.