Overall design concept?

Xander Wildeisen

Sadly it will be on the AACA Show field within 10-15 years. Bob 

Bob, I seriously need to get you some happy pills.  When you are in Hershey come by the garage and you will fell more at home!  Nope, this car won't be on our fields at all but I would like to see the craftsmanship up close..ain't gonna buy it but I do admire the creativity even if I think it is misguided!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Whilst a bit unusual I don’t quite get the bashing someone’s idea/vision. They dared to be different, something that doesn’t happen today (most modern cars all look the same to me. Same as hotrods).

But yeah, that’s a lot of pipes. What’s under the hood? 8 pipes, V8 but all out one side. Different 

Edited by Licespray (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Licespray said:

Whilst a bit unusual I don’t quite get the bashing someone’s idea/vision. They dared to be different, something that doesn’t happen today (most modern cars all look the same to me. Same as hotrods).

But yeah, that’s a lot of pipes. What’s under the hood? 8 pipes, V8 but all out one side. Different 

eight pipes on each side.

Maybe two V8s ?

Not bashing, I just get curious when I see this kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

eight pipes on each side.

Maybe two V8s ?

Not bashing, I just get curious when I see this kind of stuff.

Would explain the long hood. I wonder if all 4 rear wheels drive? Imagine the burnout! :P

Edit: or is this FWD? I forgot America used FWD on some of its big cars (over here it’s almost exclusively small cars)

Edited by Licespray (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

Thats what you do when you are snowed in for 5 months out of the year.

With some good drugs.

Bill H

After 5 months of snow with more to come,  I'm starting to sympathize with the builder even without the drugs. 

Gotta go now,  time to shovel the roof, then plow the driveway.  It's suppose to rain on Friday though,  so that will be more ice.  I can't wait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Licespray said:

Had to look those up - they remind me of the 1930’s Mercedes Benz 500k’s. Really similar.

Yeah but the Mercedes replicas, not the gazelle, actually resemble a Mercedes.  Those other three I have no idea what they were trying to build.   No matter how much you squint,  I still just see a late 70's early 80's Usually GM or Ford coupe with some funky sheetmetal that they never got the curves right on.  

14 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Yeah but the Mercedes replicas, not the gazelle, actually resemble a Mercedes.  Those other three I have no idea what they were trying to build.   No matter how much you squint,  I still just see a late 70's early 80's Usually GM or Ford coupe with some funky sheetmetal that they never got the curves right on.  

Remember that replicas are not created to satisfy an enthusiast market. They're created to satisfy someone who doesn't know anything about cars who just wants something that looks vaguely like something he might have seen once in a magazine. And it's cheaper, that's an important factor. The typical replica buyer wouldn't know a real one from a replica if you parked one of each on each of his legs. Most of the public is the same way--if it has stand-up headlights and curved fenders, it's close enough.

Once you learn anything about cars, you quickly realize that replicas are fool's gold: worthless, easily identified, and disappointing every time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Remember that replicas are not created to satisfy an enthusiast market. They're created to satisfy someone who doesn't know anything about cars who just wants something that looks vaguely like something he might have seen once in a magazine. And it's cheaper, that's an important factor. The typical replica buyer wouldn't know a real one from a replica if you parked one of each on each of his legs. Most of the public is the same way--if it has stand-up headlights and curved fenders, it's close enough.

Once you learn anything about cars, you quickly realize that replicas are fool's gold: worthless, easily identified, and disappointing every time.

Correct!

They were built for those 'Hey, look at me!' types who think they really have something special, when in reality, they don't.  Most were cobbled together from existing contemporary cars at the time which weren't really anything special, including VW convertibles, MG's and motorhome interior fittings.

Craig

• Like 1

Well I will say the fiero lines lend themselves better to being a Ferrari than a 1980 Thunderbird coupe lends itself to being a twin sidemounted 30's Packardish thing. 

I see the guys building retro vettes with a 50's front and rear clip grafted to some 2000's car center.   I just shake my head.  The lines don't blend and never will.   Not much different than the 57 Chevy conv't on ebay that had 300K put into it to make it modernized and axed many of the features that make a 57 Chevy what it is. 

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well I will say the fiero lines lend themselves better to being a Ferrari than a 1980 Thunderbird coupe lends itself to being a twin sidemounted 30's Packardish thing. 

One look at a Zimmer Quicksilver is what Oldsmobile would have offered for its version of the mid-engine P-body, had PMD not had exclusivity of it.

Craig

There is no way to win or loose this debate, art is art, ours just happens to double as transportation.  I have seen so many "not my cup of tea" vehicles it is truly amazing.  The trick is to appreciate the time and creativity and skill (and sometimes not skill) taken to build some of these machines.

Image result for steampunk cars

Image result for steampunk cars      This one is only in the digital world...not sure I could drive any of them without dark sunglasses

• Like 1

I'm sorry to get into this again, but "art" is not always art. It's really only art to the creator. Others may agree, still others may disagree. I know that this sounds harsh to those who see themselves as "artists", but you really aren't entitled to tell others something you create is art. You can only say that it is art to you and hope that they agree. To me this car is "craftwork", and nothing more. 

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I'm going to bid $400 on that cadillac, then, after I win the auction, I'm going to race it at the Bonneville Salt Flats. I'm thinking it will go 400 mph. That's 1 dollar per mph, which I think is a record in it's own right. 

Then I will progress to the Oscar Meyer weiner-mobile. It looks pretty aerodynamic and would also make a great Salt Flats racer. 

Somewhere I have pictures of a '67 Cadillac Sedan deVille that I cut the roof off, welded the rear doors closed, and added an abbreviated '66 Coupe deVille top to. Serious El Camino style, I had a '68 deck lid to level the body line, then hidden by an extended tonneau cover.

I will see if I can find some pictures.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Somewhere I have pictures of a '67 Cadillac Sedan deVille that I cut the roof off, welded the rear doors closed, and added an abbreviated '66 Coupe deVille top to. Serious El Camino style, I had a '68 deck lid to level the body line, then hidden by an extended tonneau cover.

I will see if I can find some pictures.

Didn't Johnny Cash or Glenn Campbell (can't remember who) have one made by Hess & Eisenhardt, or some other coachbuilder that makes hearses and flower cars from Cadillacs?

Craig