Re-production license plates

Ron Aubry

Someone makes them...they had them for each state and year when we were filming Public Enemies (Dillinger film).  I think they had about 20 sets of plates.  Rumor was they cost 40k.  All I know for sure is they locked them up every night.  Most likely it would have been less expensive to buy real plates but not as easy.  They were happy to let me run my original 1933 MN plates.

In Florida, a reproduction plate could not be used for a legal registration and could not be displayed in place of the legally required license plate.  I believe you could, however, display it on the front bumper as with any other decorative plate (college, football team etc.).   Many (if not most) states have programs that allow the use of a real vintage plate on a vintage vehicle.  As I understand it, the plate must be real, it must be submitted to the state for authorization/activation and must be displayed on a vintage automobile of the same year of manufacture as the license plate.    For example,  I found a real 1968 Florida plate at a flea market and submitted it to the State of Florida for authorization to display it on my 1968 Chevelle as my legally registered license plate/number. 

Here's one of the many vendors who popped up on a googol search for "reproduction license plates":

https://www.customlicenseplates.com/websitesamplespage1.html

Cheers,

Grog

I've used https://www.licenseplates.tv to have these made at a cost of about $95 each. They look great but they're a little lighter-duty than a real plate. Nobody can tell by looking at it, though. I'm not sure I like custom plates, but Melanie loves hers. I may go back to my set of 1941 government plates on the limo since I sometimes put stars on the rear doors and tell people it was Chester Nimiz's staff car. Have fun with it.

Plates1.jpg.b099926bfe8a2d84d8f45fbec0d68ee3.jpg LicensePlate1.jpg.413d22d75b6d729fd0c1b51aa94267aa.jpg

Both cars wear them on the road. I carry my dealer tags with me, but I've never been hassled by The Man about the plates on an old car and I've never heard of anyone I know being hassled because of their plates. I guess if you get a cop that's bored enough, but I'm willing to roll those low-risk dice.

• Like 2

Matt,

Better to say your Buick was used by a Colonel or a Brigadier General. Anybody 2 stars and up aquired a Cadillac or a Packard. We owned a 1940 Cadillac V-16 a few years ago that was Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz' west coast car. It came out of Harrah's Collection. Also had a 1941 Cadillac Convertible that was purchased on December 3rd 1941 by an Army Air Corps Major. Who trained B-17 crews in Colorado. Some cars have great stories.

Andy

40cad1.JPG

AP4504010416.jpg

41cad1.jpg

yl5.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 3

In Ky you can use them if you carry the antique plate in the car and the plate number can not be in use. I had this plate made by a company I found on eBay for $35 it’s been ok in KY for the last 2 years but it is identical to a 1938 plate for KY in color and format style. 

D5E0E429-E704-4F1A-96D1-0F48A9A1DFD3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, Brass is Best said:

Matt,

Better to say your Buick was used by a Colonel or a Brigadier General. Anybody 2 stars and up aquired a Cadillac or a Packard. We owned a 1940 Cadillac V-16 a few years ago that was Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz' west coast car. It came out of Harrah's Collection. Also had a 1941 Cadillac Convertible that was purchased on December 3rd 1941 by an Army Air Corps Major. Who trained B-17 crews in Colorado. Some cars have great stories.

Andy

It's awesome when cars have real history--I don't think mine has any of note beyond the headmistress of a girls' school in PA using it for its first few years of life. I just like the name Chester Nimitz. Sounds important and ridiculous all at once.

I'm also reminded of Charles Durning in that movie where the aircraft carrier goes back in time to Pearl Harbor. When he sees the name on the side of the ship he shouts, "They named a boat after  Chester Nimitz? He's not even dead yet!"

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:41 PM, Matt Harwood said:

It's awesome when cars have real history--I don't think mine has any of note beyond the headmistress of a girls' school in PA using it for its first few years of life. I just like the name Chester Nimitz. Sounds important and ridiculous all at once.

I'm also reminded of Charles Durning in that movie where the aircraft carrier goes back in time to Pearl Harbor. When he sees the name on the side of the ship he shouts, "They named a boat after Chester Nimitz? He's not even dead yet!"

Every car has real history. It is a shame they can't talk. 

The "Final Countdown" Splash the zeros!

untitled.png

• Like 2

I have driven thousands of miles with reproduction plates on a car, and have never been questioned. Probably twenty different states, and three countries. I carry the issued plates in the car. I get the most benefit from the reproductions in Mass, as the cops see the plate and don’t bother checking for an inspection sticker, with modern plates and an antique car, they always check. PS as I wright this I’m in a  foreign country driving on reproduction plates,  I don’t speak their language, so it will be interesting if I get stopped! Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I remember back in the Eighties or so at a car show there was a car with a PLASTIC novelty plate fashioned after the purple/blue antique plate.  I assumed he trailer-ed it, but couldn't understand why he used the antique plate theme. 

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

PS as I wright this I’m in a  foreign country driving on reproduction plates,  I don’t speak your language, so it will be interesting if I get stopped! Ed

Three cheers for your arrival in Brighton!  I thought that was in November.

Bernie

Not to create a controversy, but I know of two cars, legally registered with reproduction plates. The thinking is, what is the difference in finding an original plate and having it restored, or purchasing a reproduction plate. 

You wouldn't get too far with your own unautherised design plates where I live in Queensland, Australia.

All the cop cars are fitted with automatic scanning cameras that are connect directly from the computer in the car to the Transport dept. data base and they check every vehicle they see around them looking for unregistered vehicles, fine dodgers, outstanding warrants etc.  If the vehicle cannot be identified by its plates who would they send the fine to if you activated a red light camera or a remote controlled fixed radar camera so the penalty for unregistered plates is pretty savage $ and could even include car confiscation.  Big brother is definately watching.

You can purchase personalised plates for various prices depending what you are after and what they'll let you have.  Another nice little earner for the Government.

https://ppq.com.au/

TOOWOOMBA RUN 2018 026.JPG

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Not to create a controversy, but I know of two cars, legally registered with reproduction plates. The thinking is, what is the difference in finding an original plate and having it restored, or purchasing a reproduction plate. 

Exactly.  In the locales that allow the old plates, it makes no difference.

This thread has been a real education for me.  Judging by the posts in the thread, just about anything goes.  Make your own plate, buy a reproduction etc.  Now I know what to do.

Cheers,

Grog

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

NYS allows the use of old plates - they must be approved. They cannot be restored, repainted, etc. They must be originals - not sure about other states but it is a state by state issue.

3 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Washington State doesn't allow repros.. The plate can be restored, but has to be real.

14 hours ago, vermontboy said:

NYS allows the use of old plates - they must be approved. They cannot be restored, repainted, etc. They must be originals - not sure about other states but it is a state by state issue.

Same in Oregon.

The trick is to get them approved then get them restored.

NO repros though.

16 hours ago, Bloo said:

Washington State doesn't allow repros.. The plate can be restored, but has to be real.

But is there anyone in your local DMV that would have a clue as to what was real and what was a repro?  Of course real is always better, but nobody in my town would know the difference.

But is there anyone in your local DMV that would have a clue as to what was real and what was a repro?

If they didn't they would probably just send you packing. Would a good repro fool them? Maybe. I have yet to see any repro plate for WA offered on the web that would fool me.

• Like 1

But is there anyone in your local DMV that would have a clue as to what was real and what was a repro?  Of course real is always better, but nobody in my town would know the difference.

In Florida, it's the State DMV that must approve the authenticity of the plate.  The local DMV has nothing to do with it. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Judging by the lack of any shiny, rust free year of manufacture plates on old cars around here I would say the answer is yes. Remember - it is illegal to restore or repaint them - can you tell new paint??

There is little point in creating an adversarial relationship with the DMV (or the local police department) because they can make life very  difficult for you.

13 hours ago, vermontboy said:

Judging by the lack of any shiny, rust free year of manufacture plates on old cars around here I would say the answer is yes. Remember - it is illegal to restore or repaint them - can you tell new paint??

There is little point in creating an adversarial relationship with the DMV (or the local police department) because they can make life very  difficult for you.

Authentic plates that are restored can easily be confused with reproduction plates when examined by everyday folks.  Some locales allow real plates that are restored.  In KY reproduction plates are allowed as well. 

It goes without saying following the rules is the way to go.  That’s the best part of this site.  Most all members want to do the right thing.  We love our cars.  

When you have 50 states (and here 120 counties on top of that that employ hundreds of people that do things depending on their mood) there will always be interesting discussion of the local rules and regulations.  I deal with vehicle registrations everyday in my work, and it’s amazing how different people, even in the same state, process paperwork.

Sorry for the tangent—Back to the original topic....I hope we haven’t strayed too far.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've registered cars with restored original, as well as original plates it Washington. The gal that I like to use is very knowledgeable. A quick glance is all that has ever been needed. Several of my cars have their original, unrestored plates plates on them, and registered as original year of manufacture. Some of these original plates  would never be confused for restored, but they were able to pass muster.

Years ago I had a 53 Bentley. I had a 53 YOM plate assigned to it.

I found a place on the net that would make a British themed plate with any number you wanted on it.

I had one made that matched my YOM, had my sign maker do a little upgrading and put it on the Bentley.

No one ever questioned me.

The 'F indicates farm use. What an outlaw !!

The Bentley went to Germany, I kept the plates.

2018-04-30 Bentley Plates 001.JPG

Bentley.JPG

I bought a real 1957 NC tag and restored it for the rear bumper of my 57 Ranchero.

Then I bought a reproduction in the Internet for $16.50.  It's a flat aluminum plate that looks like a 57 NC tag but says RANCHERO instead of a number.  It's just for identification on the front bumper and I think it;s a good identification for the car/truck in a clever format, not for official use.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
addition (see edit history)

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

Did you submit the tag to the State for registration?

Cheers,

Grog

NC does not require submission of a YOM tag for registration. If you use a YOM tag you are required to carry a current tag (with current sticker) in the car and show  it when requested. Also, NC does not require front tags. The AACA regions in NC have had good friends in our state legislators for several years, and we are thankful.

23 hours ago, capngrog said:

Did you submit the tag to the State for registration?

Cheers,

Grog

No, both Florida and North Carolina don't use front tags. (My two home states) It's just decoration!   I always tell new folks to look at the font licence tag to determine the year of the vehicle when starting a conversation with the cars owner.  You'll sound more informed that way and get more out of the discussion with the owner.

here in delaware, you can legally purchase a new, privately manufactured black porcelain license plate. there are however, a few restrictions. the guy won't make you one unless it would have been an issued number from back in the day when the state issued this type of tag. it cannot have any letters in it, and the number must be 5 digits, and below 88,000.