buick5563

Tools you really need

4 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

Good thing to have,  but, but, but, I couldn't find one on HOW TO MODIFY A 1941 LIMITED. 

I wonder if there is one on 'HOW TO REMOVE A VISOR'?

Dale in Indy

Got to find those old copies of "car magazines" for those things.

(Modify a 41 Limited for speed, braking, racin', "street rod"????  YIKES!!)

NTX5467

YEP,,,, for SPEED, BRAKING, CRUISING, MPG, EASY WINTER STARTING, and MORE.

I'm kind of thinking, CAR MAGAZINES didn't feature HOW TO MODIFY A BUICK LIMITED, bummer.

Fun is GOOD!

Dale in Indy

Try TeamBuick web site for discussions on modifying your straight eight for speed.

My wife gave me a Metrinch set of tools right after we got married, over 30 years ago.  She saw it on TV.  It was advertised as a set for both SAE and Metric measurements in one tool kit.  But, for me, the biggest use is for rounded off nuts and bolts.  I cannot tell you how many times I've rounded off a bolt head or nut where none of my conventional tools would grip it.  But a Metrinch socket or wrench would.  You may not want to buy a Metrinch set specifically, but you need something designed to grip rounded off bolts and nuts. 

Also, I tend to use nothing but 6-point sockets now, primarily to avoid rounding them off to begin with.

Metrinch Set.jpg

• Like 1

I have on occasion slipped some aluminum foil over a nut/head if I felt the fit was a bit sloppy,.

Oh so many tools, I'm NOT one for the TRICK TOOL OF THE WEEK.  Example: the hand/palm squeezing screw driver, there is no way it provides the pressure needed, IMO.  Might be SOME help on loose wood screws in tight spots, maybe.

I pick my tools carefully, after 55+ years of collecting 'needed' tools, well I don't find many I need. 

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TxBuicks said:

Also, I tend to use nothing but 6-point sockets now, primarily to avoid rounding them off to begin with.

I used to say I keep 12-pt metrics for my newer stuff and 6-pt SAE for the older cars, but people have been calling my '80s GMs "old" and "vintage" lately so I got some 6-pt metrics for them, just in case...:blink:

I also keep 12-pt SAE around for airplanes so I'm covered all around.  I also highly recommend 'flare nut' or b-nut wrenches to keep from rounding plumbing fittings.  I finally had to pick up a metric set of those for my 'newer' newer cars (my '80s GMs tend to me metric everywhere except the plumbing).

Also, here's a handy little device that I use a lot that makes just about any wrench a crow's foot:

http://www.partsgiant.com/p313972-motion-pro-adjustable-torque-wrench-adapter

D1OBUXBOOFKQHEFV-product-primary.jpg

No cutting torches / Air Chisels / pneumatic hammers ?

If you need them, you cant get by without them.

And, And for YOU deep pockets, how about a 3-D PRINTER, and LASER MACHINE, then all YOUR friends would be hanging around. 'OFTEN'. 

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

I'm feeling really lucky. I have a lot of tools, but just walking around with the detailer bottle and a microfiber cloth is what comes to mind first. I just checked and this IS the Buick Forum.

I do have one special tool I might get a picture of later.

Bernie

• Like 1

A reciprocating saw was mentioned earlier.  YIKES!!  BUT . . . a Hackzall is just right for one-handed use (nice balance, too!) and mine has a 20V battery, so it's portable!  Can be used in other places than on cars!!  Found it and a driver-drill on sale for $100.00/pair (PLUS a hd carrying case!) a year or so ago. 

NTX5467

The ONLY tool necessary, is a list of where you have to go to borrow all this stuff!  :D

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

The ONLY tool necessary, is a list of where you have to go to borrow all this stuff!  :D

Fortunately for me, it's a long drive from New York to Kansas!

• Like 2

Speaking of borrowed tools, the tools I lend out the most are my pickle forks.

My first pickle fork was Chinese.  So was my second & third.  Then I got a real set that has changable heads and will load up in a rivet gun (air hammer - but not like a Chinese air hammer).  WOW!  It's amazing how well these simple machines work when the material is the correct hardness!

Digital cameras are also one of the greatest inventions known to mechanics.  I started snapping pictures as I took things apart back in about 1999/2000, and I also take pictures of people holding my tools when they borrow them so I can document date, condition, and identity.

astro.jpg

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Safety devices, eye protection, ear muffs, and a pair of leather gloves. A respirator or face mask if you are painting, sandblasting or using chemicals known by the state of California to cause cancer. Bob H

• Like 1

Not a tool exactly but one of the most often used items from my tool box.  

:huh:

First_Aid_Kit_2.jpg

• Like 4

That looks like ONE dog-gone handy took carrier, Bill!  Hope he doesn't get the urge to "shake it off!"

NTX5467

Oh Matt, 'YOU' are getting some BROWNIE points with your post.  hehe

But, to be FAIR, this site IS a GREAT TOOL to have at hand, Matt, YOU are correct.

Dale in Indy

Somewhere around 1987 or '88 I think I was the only person in my circle of influence who owned a pitman arm puller.

Then, in the early part of this century I used to tease  my cardiologist about making being the last doctor to make house calls....  when he stopped to borrow tools.

Oh, anyone tempted to connect me writing "my cardiologist"  with my disparaging comments about "my mechanic" others make on the forum; Ted, my doctor passed away a few years ago and I do that work myself now, as well. Long walks by the Erie Canal and eating right. I do miss Ted, though.

Bernie