buick5563

Tools you really need

7 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

For prewar cars....

Prewar Tool Roll.jpg

Is that a collection of 'old' tools or something supplied with a car?

High end cars from the teens through the 20s had tool rolls like this.  I have a friend with a 1918 Cadillac that has a tool roll like this with the original owner's name on each tool.  There is also a keyed compartment below the driver's seat for the tool roll.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

High end cars from the teens through the 20s had tool rolls like this.  I have a friend with a 1918 Cadillac that has a tool roll like this with the original owner's name on each tool.  There is also a keyed compartment below the driver's seat for the tool roll.

I understand that some had a tool kit, but were all of the pictured tools in the kit?

Mark, is that pouch/tool set up something YOU did for one of YOUR cars?

Are you saying in dim old days you could order from the factory a kit like that, with the tools you wanted?

I wonder if old-tank was asking, IS THAT PICTURED TOOL POUCH, SOMETHING THAT CAME WITH A CAR, or DID YOU/SOMEONE PUT IT TOGETHER?    

Just wondering,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

One of my dad's favorite tools was his tappet adjuster.  With that and a feeler gauge, he could set 16 tappets on a straight 8 in minimal time.

s-l1600.jpg

OH, yes, I remember a rocker arm too,  Dad was good with it toooooooooooo.

Could you adjust and LOCK with that?  I recall Dad's did both.

Dale in Indy

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

One of my dad's favorite tools was his tappet adjuster.  With that and a feeler gauge, he could set 16 tappets on a straight 8 in minimal time.

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of those. Not a Snap-On. 

Ben

The one that my dad had had a socket the size of the lock nut on the handle, and the screwdriver head in the knurled knob.  Break the lock nut with one hand, and adjust the tappet with the other, then lock the nut down again.  He'd use his had that held the handle for the feeler gauge.  He'd never remove the tool from start to finish.

That's how I remember the tool toooooooo!

I don't recall there was a VISOR removal tool though, do YOU?  Maybe a sledge hammer would work, hehe

Maybe someday Ben will LAUGH, just havin some fun Ben.  

Thanks,

Dale  

Dale,

This one was made by Kim Dawson at http://antiqueautotophardware.com/

I had my 1912 Buick roadster top made by him and he makes up these tool rolls with original tools for various cars and trucks.  Two friends and I visited his shop a couple days ago and he showed us several of these tool rolls.

• Like 1

Had a local farmer back here that said the only tool he needed was a sledge hammer, chain saw, and a crow bar. If that would not fix it then he had to call some one. I guess that make the telephone the most important tool to have. ;) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A CAA/AAA membership can be pretty handy to go along with that phone. 

Young, flexible sons can be good to have around too. 

• Like 1

Probably one of the most 'not knowing that you need it until you really need it' tool in any shop is a gallon jug full of Marvel Mystery Oil.  This is the best penetrating oil that I have ever used.  What more can a person say?

Terry Wiegand

The Kid from Doo Dah

In my short time messing with old cars, I've found an L-shaped box wrench works best for starters and a 90-degree box wrench with a drive end works best for distributors. And a match book for setting dual points. Also kind of silly, but if you're ever doing multiple carbs: take two Pepsi bottles (or Coke if you're that guy) and fill them half way with water. Then cut two holes in the top of each cap and run one piece of surgical tubing from one bottle to the other (all the way to the bottom of both bottles) and the other two pieces of surgical tubing to manifold vacuum ports on each carburetor (in my case, the hot air choke port on a Rochester 4GC). Seal the caps with glue and watch the water levels in each bottle for different atmospheric pressure. You'll know you did it right when the water level is the same in both bottles, successfully equalizing your carbs. 

• Like 1

As of late....a gift my wife got me for Christmas.  Totally awesome as it it magnetized and great for lighting up any spot on the car.  Very bright and no cord to get tangled in.

craftsman-pocket-light-450x348.png     

• Like 1

Well I'll be darned, he has his own brand in LFH,MFH and BFH sizes

tagline_new.png

• Like 2

I walked into Farm & Fleet the other day. And there she was, gorgeous in every way. I was drawn to her and could not take my eyes off of her. I reached out to touch her, and a voice from behind me said No! You do not need another tool box! (It was my wife)

toolbox.PNG

• Like 2

I find a supply of moving pads come in handy for draping over fenders and lying under the car.  Much more comfy then cardboard.

• Like 1