Number 1 challenege of owning a Classic Car

Guest Vinnyagus

Guest Vinnyagus

Hi everyone,

My first post here, so go easy on me :-)  I'm excited to have come across this forum and meet and talk to other enthusiasts.  I have a couple of questions to ask the community and looking for honest feedback.  I wasn't sure what category to put this under but I hope the General Discussions is OK.   If not then I apologies in advance.

I was thinking the other day.  What's the ONE thing you wish you'd known before you went out and bought a classic car?

Also, name you number 1 biggest challenge related to owning and a Classic Cars?

For example I have been told by a few that the price of fuel (here in the UK) can some what restrict the amount of time driving their prized possessions.  i thought this was quite interesting.

Thanks everyone.

Many antique/classic cars are very affordable.

The number one thing is understanding that they need to be maintained, and in order to perform as they should, they really should be driven as much as possible. 

Most modern cars you just get in and drive for tens of thousands of miles with little maintenance at all.  Just change the oil, and occasionally check the brakes and tires, and that's all most people ever do, and they still last a long time.

Guest Vinnyagus
2 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Many antique/classic cars are very affordable.

The number one thing is understanding that they need to be maintained, and in order to perform as they should, they really should be driven as much as possible. 

Most modern cars you just get in and drive for tens of thousands of miles with little maintenance at all.  Just change the oil, and occasionally check the brakes and tires, and that's all most people ever do, and they still last a long time.

Hey thanks for this 39BuickEight.  Some great points here!  It's interesting you say drive them as much as you can.  I like that, whereas some would say keep them in the dry and don't put too many miles on them.  Appreciate your response.

First I have to ask exactly what do you mean when you say "classic car " ? The term is frequently misused , usually by the general public and beginners in the hobby.  On this forum you will find that the majority take it to very definitely mean a car accepted by the Classic car club of America. You can find the list in a wide range of sources . They are typically the large, top end of the market, mid 20's to late 30's luxury cars . Eg. Duesenbrg , Caddilac, Lincolin, Packard ETC. They are not the typical 57 Chev. hard top or convert. that many of the general public will refer to as "classic cars".

If you are already aware of this please excuse my soap box rant.

For a good many of us of the # 1 challenge is the substantial increase in cost of pretty much everything associated with Antique / Classic / Veteran/ Edwardian/ Special interest car ownership. Parts, plating, Paint, shop work and so much more has risen way faster than wages over the last 30 + years. The hobby used to be a pretty middle class activity, excepting the Classic car category which due to the size, complexity, and rarity of these cars have made them the domain of the reasonably wealthy since about the 1950's. These days a fair number of us are on the verge of being priced out of the hobby.

39 BuickEight is correct, there are many reasonably priced antique cars out there. And if you are happy with a decent, original condition  , lower end of the market sedan from the 1940's 50's or 60"s there is a lot to chose from without breaking the bank.  Anything a bit more up market, or in a desirable body style such as a convertible is in often going to be out of reach for many of us. And any restoration ; regardless of how much the owner does themselves , is a big ticket item these days.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Guest Vinnyagus
3 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

First I have to ask exactly what do you mean when you say "classic car " ? The term is frequently misused , usually by the general public and beginners in the hobby.  On this forum you will find that the majority take it to very definitely mean a car accepted by the Classic car club of America. You can find the list in a wide range of sources . They are typically the large, top end of the market, mid 20's to late 30's luxury cars . Eg. Duesenbrg , Caddilac, Lincolin, Packard ETC. They are not the typical 57 Chev. hard top or convert. that many of the general public will refer to as "classic cars".

If you are already aware of this please excuse my soap box rant.

For a good many of us of the # 1 challenge is the substantial increase in cost of pretty much everything associated with Antique / Classic / Veteran/ Edwardian/ Special interest car ownership. Parts, plating, Paint, shop work and so much more has risen way faster than wages over the last 30 + years. The hobby used to be a pretty middle class activity, excepting the Classic car category which due to the size, complexity, and rarity of these cars have made them the domain of the reasonably wealthy since about the 1950's. These days a fair number of us are on the verge of being priced out of the hobby.

Greg in Canada

You are right.  Defining a classic car is different depending on where you are in the World.  I would say for me its a car that has an aesthetic appeal either for its engineering or the design of the car - of it it was a car I loved when I was a kid and no longer produced!.  Also here in the UK our Classic Car insurance comes in for cars 20 years or older, and our Classic Car UK Road Tax exemption is when the car is 25 years or older, so I guess from a "time" or "era" point of view this could help define the "Classic Car".  It's definitely subjective though I agree.

Vinnnyagus,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. First, I would suggest using the term "Collectible Car", "old car", or "Antique Car" rather than "Classic Car". With the CCCA use of the term "Full Classic" or "Classic" many people could get distracted from the original question and will just wish to debate the use of the term itself.

Other than that, the best advice I can give you is find what you like and then join a club for whatever it is. AACA is a great club. While the name includes the word "America", it is an international club. There are other Marque specific clubs, as well as some other multi-make clubs. If there is a local chapter, region, or other group of a club in your area, join it. It is better to do your research before you buy a car rather than after the purchase. You can avoid some expensive mistakes that way. The first antique car that I bought was certainly not the best choice, but we had fun with it for a few years. If I had joined my local AACA Chapter before I bought that car instead of after, I would have been able to get some better local advice and would have bought a better first antique car. 

I have met many friends over the years in this hobby. Some are local, some live in other states, and some live in other countries. Join a club, buy a car that you love, and have fun. 

On the subject of what is the 1 thing I wish I had known. It would have to be that I should have begged, borrowed or stolen enough money to purchase one of the cars I really liked when I first got involved in the hobby {late 1970's}. They were somewhat out of reach at the time, and it seemed that as time went by they would become more affordable as my career progressed {and my income increased}. Time has proven me dead wrong ! The cars have risen in price much faster than my income over the decades. What would have been a tight situation budget wise has over time become a impossibly gaping canyon . And my hobby has become an uncomfortable dilemma of several mid pack cars needing restoration work that in all likelihood exceeds their value. Back in the day it seemed a person could start with a modest "fix it upper" and trade it upward until after several such steps got you where you wanted to be, at a reasonable cost other than time. Someware over the decades that has become a pipe dream. The mid pack and lower cars haven't gone up all that much, and the cars I like are obviously also liked by people with deeper pockets than myself... much deeper.  I would have been much better off to have bitten the bullet years ago and bought 1 really good car and made it my lifetime treasure.

Greg in Canada

Guest Vinnyagus
10 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

On the subject of what is the 1 thing I wish I had known. It would have to be that I should have begged, borrowed or stolen enough money to purchase one of the cars I really liked when I first got involved in the hobby {late 1970's}. They were somewhat out of reach at the time, and it seemed that as time went by they would become more affordable as my career progressed {and my income increased}. Time has proven me dead wrong ! The cars have risen in price much faster than my income over the decades. What would have been a tight situation budget wise has over time become a impossibly gaping canyon . And my hobby has become an uncomfortable dilemma of several mid pack cars needing restoration work that in all likelihood exceeds their value. Back in the day it seemed a person could start with a modest "fix it upper" and trade it upward until after several such steps got you where you wanted to be, at a reasonable cost other than time. Someware over the decades that has become a pipe dream. The mid pack and lower cars haven't gone up all that much, and the cars I like are obviously also liked by people with deeper pockets than myself... much deeper.  I would have been much better off to have bitten the bullet years ago and bought 1 really good car and made it my lifetime treasure.

Greg in Canada

Wow this is a great point!  I guess I fell into the same trap in buying a house.  Looking back I wish I stretched a little more to get the "better" house, but now that "better" house is now out of my price range.  I like what you say here as it is the same with buying a car!  Great point!

Guest Vinnyagus

Great points here!  Appreciate it.

Regarding car shows.  Where do you all go to find out about upcoming "collectible" or "old" car shows.  I seem to be looking around various sites who post or publish their events but I was wondering if their is a "go to place" for this information.  I would like to schedule some time to attend a few.

Thanks.

Have a look at my local house market, Vancouver B.C. Canada. Prices across the board saw a 30% + increase last year alone. And that's on top of a market that has for several years seen 10 - 20 % yearly increases. Today the only way a young person who earns their living locally can buy ANY house is an inheritance or a lottery jackpot. One million and up for what any sane person would call a tear down, 3 to 5 million for a nice but not great place. Sky's the limit for a nice place in one of the better areas.  And all this in a city where $ 80,000.00 a year Cdn. is thought of as a decent middle class income. It makes you wonder where all the money is coming from? If anyone locally has any money left for a hobby car it's a minor miracle.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Classic Shows UK is a helpful site and lists them by regions. I've worked twice in southern England and found there were great shows around Bournemouth. And, of course, you need to go to Beaulieu. We found lots of friendly, informative persons at UK shows.

1 hour ago, Vinnyagus said:

Great points here!  Appreciate it.

Regarding car shows.  Where do you all go to find out about upcoming "collectible" or "old" car shows.  I seem to be looking around various sites who post or publish their events but I was wondering if their is a "go to place" for this information.  I would like to schedule some time to attend a few.

Thanks.

It all depends on where you live and if you are capable of traveling or towing a car. A example would be where I live. There are four major clubs in my area that have cars from all stripes, and then there are the special clubs in the area such as the local VW, Porsche, British, Corvette, etc. The four major clubs get together each year to plan events so they don't overlap and each club has a cruise night once a month so that means we have a cruise every week, and each club has one car show a year. I think the reason we have all of this is the city where I live is a car magnet for retired car guys and gals. We also have a group of guys that go to lunch once a week and bring their cars and the restaurants we go to have been able to accommodate us not only with sitting space , but car parking space. The highest number we have had so far is seventy two at one sitting....and you should see the cars in the parking lot! We also have a Bagel shop we all go to every Saturday morning for coffee and kicking tires, year round snow or blow-makes no odds.

Clubs like AACA or CCCA are non existent in our area. For example AACA had a Grand National last year and we would have had to drive clear across the state to get there. If you did want to do that you have to remember that it's not just the expense of the Antique car, but the truck and trailer to pull it with to add into your expense plus a place to stay when you get there.

Most all of our stuff is on the internet, one of the sites is listings for all of our state and some others. 

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

It's amazing how your daily driver can become a classic before you know it. Thirteen years ago I answered an ad in Paper Shop for an 89 Caprice Classic with only 35K on the odometer. It was black with a black landau top and light blue velour interior. It had the usual amount of door dings but no rust anywhere. It was perfect for me. Fast forward  to today. A new paint job with all of the dings taken out and suddenly you look around and not only don't you see anything like it, you don't see any at all in that condition. Thumbs up everywhere I go!

boowah5.jpg

Actually the number one challenge where you are (I watch Wheeler Dealers often) is rust particularly underbody. I constantly see Edd working around or replacing rusty stuff. Unless you are really good with a welding torch avoid rusty cars at all cost.

58 minutes ago, cutlasguy said:

It's amazing how your daily driver can become a classic before you know it. Thirteen years ago I answered an ad in Paper Shop for an 89 Caprice Classic ...

But...

Your Caprice was a Classic the day it was born - says so right on the fender!  :D

Guest Vinnyagus
1 hour ago, cutlasguy said:

It's amazing how your daily driver can become a classic before you know it. Thirteen years ago I answered an ad in Paper Shop for an 89 Caprice Classic with only 35K on the odometer. It was black with a black landau top and light blue velour interior. It had the usual amount of door dings but no rust anywhere. It was perfect for me. Fast forward  to today. A new paint job with all of the dings taken out and suddenly you look around and not only don't you see anything like it, you don't see any at all in that condition. Thumbs up everywhere I go!

boowah5.jpg

That looks lovely!!

One thing I wish I had known:  In general, open cars (convertibles or dropheads) retain value and appreciate better than closed cars.  You could turn that around, though, and say that closed cars are more reasonably priced; 'bargains'.

Another (call it 1. b.):  It is usually cheaper in the long run to buy a car that is already in good condition, than to restore a rough car. Once you have decided what car you want, buy the best condition example of that car that you can afford.

Biggest challenge: storage space, no question.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the hobby since school days.

My only regret:  that I didn't find the Antique

Automobile Club of America sooner, and 

participate actively in it.  I didn't know about the

AACA, and though I unknowingly ventured close to it

several times, no one was outgoing enough to tell me

about it, nor to invite me to join.

Being ACTIVE with a car club enhances your enjoyment 

of the hobby many times over.  Local shows;  tours of the

countryside;  social events;  nationwide events;  let you know

more car fans near and afar.  Just paying dues and getting a magazine

are useful, but they are far, far less productive than actively participating.

6 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Greg in Canada

That had been my plan as well 15 years ago when I bought my 52 Plymouth. My results have been about like yours except that both my cars, being fairly  modest, are drivable and I have decided that  I don't need anything else anyway.  i would also like to add that the statement about rust is spot on. And don't assume that your cars are completely safe from rust sitting in your garage. My cars challenge me every year when I start driving  them by letting me find some small bit of surface rust to fix. And  my cars stay in a closed dry garage with a good concrete floor.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Interesting question!  And welcome :)

As a woman, my biggest problem is when someone asks about one of my trucks, they always look at my husband and ask questions about "his truck".  He shrugs his shoulders and says, it's not mine!  ask the owner - and he points to me.  Although I don't think you'll have that problem lol ;)

Maintenance on my trucks is basic as they aren't that old - 26 & 27 years - and driven as much as I can lol  Keeping people from leaning and touching them is another problem.

I use the term, collector car. I know all the definitions and they are all tolerable unless they are used on TV with dated rock music and flashing stop frame video in the background.

A car worthy of being collectible will usually be of a quality that will get through its fir 50 years pretty much trouble free. Then they start needing major repairs and all get costly. And everything wears out at the same rate. Today at a common meet most of the cars will be 1960 and newer. The older stuff is home broken or you see a few that had significant money spent on them.

If a poll was taken you would find that 15 year rule to be quite common. Many hobbyists have cars that were purchased from a conservative second owner when the car was about 15 years old. I say conservative because they are generally blue, brown, or green. The red and black cars get used up in ten years for the most part. Those 15 year old cars are in good condition and no matter when the purchase was made you can us a $ inflation calculator to find the hobbyist paid the equivalent of 3,00 to 4,000 USD for then. They gain value because times passes so quickly. The more expensive ones have major work done to them. I bough my '64 Riviera under similar terms when it was 15 years old.

My hobby expenses have come from hobby activities. I may have skimmed off about 5% of my work income, but I would estimate 10 to 15% of my life's income has gone to the hobby. And the majority from buying and selling, servicing, and otherwise leveraging my skills with cars. That includes the garage, too small with too few doors, extra storage, tools, trips, and various necessities.

Be flexible with your commitments. Unload a car that doesn't meet your expectations. I have never suffered a total loss and most often made money selling my mistakes.

And drive 'em like your stole 'em

Dust-4.jpg Bernie

Three things come to mind. Time to do things right. Money to do things right. A wife that understands how much time and money you spend on something you love besides her!   Have fun is another important thing to do.  Dave S 

• Like 2

Agree, the fun is in the driving and the learning/fixing, otherwise you might as well collect something easier (I have one of every Zenith Transoceanic made - interesting hobby for someone who is deaf). Each of my cars has its own garage door and each has a different purpose (haven't really decided about the GTP yet, overlaps several but makes an even split of manuals and automagics. Have almost always had a convertible from Jags and an MGA to a Corvair Corsa autocross car to a 124 FIAT Spyder to a 67 GP GALB, and now the Reatta. Reatta Coupe I have to keep since it is an 88 and the factory put a touchscreen in the dash which combines my principle hobbies (by IRS standards) of cars and computers. Besides have always like 2 seaters.

Key is to keep them all drivable and they do not need to be expensive, latest toy was $2k and I'll put about that back in it. Hard for me to pass up a DOHC 6 with a five speed. Was the last of the proceeds from an RV I sold and replaced with a trailer.

You have a lot of interesting cars in the UK, many we never saw here & quite a few with a Buick V8.

Yes there are a lot of high dollar (pound) cars around but most have a lot of baggage they carry with them but there are a lot of fun cars to start with that are relatively inexpensive, most will be between 15 and 25 years old.

The only key is that unless you have a reason to do otherwise, keep it original. And when you do change something, keep the original parts in a big baggie.

Below is the full picture of my 46 year old car in its natural element: near the top of third gear on an oval.

judgeatnss86.jpg

I am not writing this disrespect anyone here or their opinions, so please nobody take it that way. I feel it is important to note that the challenges of owning and operating a vehicle extremely varies with the age of a vehicle. I own a few cars from the 80's and I hardly consider those cars I own as vintage, even those from the late 60's and up, to me they are just real nice used cars (again no disrespect is meant) They really do not present much of a challenge to either own or operate  

The biggest challenge I find is the other drivers on the roads not respecting or even aware of the limitations of older vehicles.

Lack of braking distance, lack of acceleration, and no knowledge of hand signals.  I only find this with my vehicles that are 60 years and older. I had sold my 31 Chevy a few years ago because I could only drive it on weekend mornings between 6 am and 9 am where I was able to find enough space on the road to enjoy myself. Where I could get in my 85 Caprice buckle up my shoulder /seat belt turn on the A/C, set the cruise control, turn on the FM radio and travel down the road with my radial tires and power disc brakes, if it rains I have variable speed electric wipers  a rear window electric defogger, I stay with the flow of traffic with no problem. I have four way flashers if there is a problem I have turn signals that don't involve my arms or rely on other people to know what it means. 

So in my opinion as a collector who owns a little bit of everything there is really no challenge to owning a 30 or even a 40 year old car, (again no disrespect is intended), to me they are just nice used cars.   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

And there you have why my eldest is 46. Interesting and late enough to have momentary wipers, power steering, disk brakes and AC. Have had cars of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80s, 90s, 00's, and '10s. At one time all of my cars had V8s even the Sunbird,  had several 4s (MGA, MG1100, FIAT 850, FIAT 124 Spyder (only one I would not turn away another), early Fiero) but always preferred 6's so is most of the current herd. Guess I've never had a reason to have a dull car.

That is really my bottom line. I really do not care how old a car is (though I do tend to keep ones I like way past the sell by date, two of the current crop have been here for over 15 years) it is more how much fun it is (and must have AC)

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I agree with John348.  My most recent acquisition, the 1918 Pierce, is right-hand drive so I can't even give hand signals that will actually be seen, never mind understood--it's almost a necessity to have a passenger in the left front seat to be the signaling device.  Turn signals are in this car's future, but it will take some time to find suitable lamps.

All my listed vehicles (other than the 1948 Jeepster) are older than I am, which is a near-requirement for me.  I learned to drive on my great-aunt's 1934 Buick--in a cemetery on Sunday afternoons beginning at age 12.  That's just me--I truly enjoy the experience of driving old iron with all their limitations.  And I respect those limitations. With multiple vehicles, I am constantly amazed by the pace of technological development through the years represented by my cars, and love each for its own capabilities and limitations.

So my advice to the OP and others is to learn both the capabilities and the limitations of whatever vintage car you acquire, and stay within them.

I suspect that if I lived in a hot and humid area as Padgett does, my tastes might change in favor of air conditioning.  I loved my 1964 Cadillac 60S Fleetwood as a daily driver 1970-77.  Almost wore it out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

And there you have why my eldest is 46. Interesting and late enough to have momentary wipers, power steering, disk brakes and AC. Have had cars of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80s, 90s, 00's, and '10s. At one time all of my cars had V8s even the Sunbird,  had several 4s (MGA, MG1100, FIAT 850, FIAT 124 Spyder (only one I would not turn away another), early Fiero) but always preferred 6's so is most of the current herd. Guess I've never had a reason to have a dull car.

That is really my bottom line. I really do not care how old a car is (though I do tend to keep ones I like way past the sell by date, two of the current crop have been here for over 15 years) it is more how much fun it is (and must have AC)

Mr P,
I am sorry but I am just totally confused by your answer and how it apply's to the OP's question/thread "The number 1 Challenge of owning a classic car"
Could you please clarify to me because I don't understand why telling us what you cars you owned, what cars you do own, what engines you had in those cars then and now, and how you equipped your cars helps anyone contribute to this dialog without you giving any specific "challenges."
Could you please clarify, Thanks a lot

Quick question, the photo you posted of the white Pontiac on the race track, I noticed you have posted it a few times, is that done on an "open day" ? Is it part of a package where you pay to drive around the track with your car and the photo is included? 
Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I enjoy having my cars and the restoration projects, but have no burning desire to drive them. Guess the big challenge would be the cost to get one licensed and on the road. That cost for a few weekends use could be invested in one of the projects. Bob

" What's the ONE thing you wish you'd known before you went out and bought a classic car?"

To me, I would say, What do you want to do with it?

I personally like to do complete restorations so I buy a car that needs everything. This keeps me happy and healthy, crawling under, lifting, stretching and having something to do each morning when you get up. Driving them is secondary and do not drive them as much as I should.

If you enjoy driving and don't want to get your hands dirty, buy a good driver and pay for any repairs as necessary.

Everthing else is a compromise in your desires and ability.

Back to the Original Questions. Whats the first thing I wish I'd know.... Not to get a rusty Model A Ford Truck for nothing that needs a ton of work. Would have been better to find one in a barn that was cleaner and rust free and spent some money to get it. Of course this was 40 some odd years ago and I was young and Ambitious.  

Biggest Challenge. The rarer it is, The Harder it is to find parts for. Buy something complete and running, or walk away unless you have the skills to fabricate stuff yourself for that car with only a few copies left in existence in the world. Dandy Dave!  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Finding parts for my 72 Cutlass "S" is a piece of cake. Year One has everything, including trim parts. The challenge is finding trim parts for my 89 Caprice. Nobody has mounted an effort to supply them for cars of the 80's and 90's and they have fallen into the gap between Collectible and NOS. Someone dented a wheel lip molding on my Caprice several years ago. A search revealed only five suppliers in the United States that had one and only four could find the one they had in stock. Naturally the price was over 100 bucks.

I was agreeing with John348. Point was that for some tastes change and the challenge is finding a car you will still want in a decade or two.

Beyond that I have found that every car has a price point. You can either spend it up front for a nice car you can enjoy now. Or less for a project you may take years to get right but will cost about the same in the end (labor hours are valueless unless paying someone else). I would never consider one of the latter unless already had one of the former.