Willy's Jeepster unknown to people?

Guest Eggsnbaconbits

Guest Eggsnbaconbits

I've noticed that people don't seem to know what the Willy's Jeepster is, at least the 48-50's models. Even most other car enthusiasts I've met have asked me just what my car is. When most people hear Willy's they go to the war time jeep and rightfully so it has earned its place in our history. I know early Jeepsters didn't have a high production number but I'd think more people would know about it. I guess what I'm getting at is, Have you heard of the jeepster or even have one? I have a 1948 custom Willy's Jeepster. All the rights to the work done to it belong to my Grandfather I've only inherited it to keep it running show to show like he loved to do.

post-155963-0-06855400-1453182764_thumb.

post-155963-0-81948900-1453182796_thumb.

post-155963-0-21983400-1453183337_thumb.

post-155963-0-42320600-1453183340_thumb.

post-155963-0-07078200-1453183344_thumb.

Edited by Eggsnbaconbits (see edit history)

His first post and y'all have busted the guy's chops over a minor typographical mistake. I'm sure you'll have the nerve to be surprised if he vanishes and says the hell with AACA. That would be a shame because even with the mods he has a neat vehicle with family history.

And yes E&BB- I know what a Jeepster is. Good friend has one that he stuffed a Pontiac 400/THM into, then painted it pink with a fringed striped top. Personalized license plate? "DEPLANE" Always a hit at cruise nights.

• Like 2

Corrected info is a good thing but we have to be careful as how we present it. I do know about the Jeepsters and a good friend had one. They're neat little cars! Jeep later came out with the Commando versions, we had one at work and it was a lot of fun to drive. Another friend's brother just picked up a '50's Willys pickup truck, another rare car!. I have to admit that I'm not to crazy about "custom" or modified cars, especially when they are rare, but to each his own!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

The "Willeeees"  vs "Willis" has always vexed me.   Are we 100% sure on that.  Everyone uses the former but I do know that the later is allegedly the right pronunciation.

On the Jeepster,  that is great you have one of your grandfather's cars.  You should keep it forever.

EB&B:  I should have mentioned that your modified Jeepster will be very welcome in the Jeepster Club; probably half the cars in the club have been modified to some degree.  The AACA serves purists, of which I am one as regards my own cars, but I have great respect for those who do high-quality modifications such as yours seems to have.

Restorer32:  Willys did call the 1948-50 (those titled as 1951s were left-over 1950s) a 'phaeton' and the Calif registration on my 1949 showed the body style as 'PHA.'  I purchased that car from the original owner in 1981 as it just turned 400,000 miles.  The original engine had been rebuilt twice but was still strong.  I re-did the suspension and steering and had 34 years of fun with it.  Couldn't miss the opportunity to get a two-owner 1948 with only 119K on it, and that's what I've kept.

Well provenance and titles are all about dotting the t and crossing the eyes so getting the name right is more important than the spelling of "Phaeton".

I do remember seeing them the '50s but was immediately into DOHC and disk brakes in my first cars though there was a Facel-Vega HK-500 in the parking lot I always thought about the most beautiful car I ever saw and a 3/4 sized Caddy with dual quads and suicide rear doors was the second.

I understand that Willisss may be the correct pronunciation but Willies is much easier to say and far more appealing to the ear.

Absolutely. It's much harder to say, "How many Willises were at the show than "How may Willeezes" ?!?! Or is it Willeezuses.

Hmmmmm....I'll stick with Willis

I've noticed that people don't seem to know what the Willy's Jeepster is, at least the 48-50's models. Even most other car enthusiasts I've met have asked me just what my car is.

Don't feel all alone E&BB, for decades Pontiacs were one of the top 5 sellers in America and mine are now a rarity in my area, dismissed by the masses who are only interested in cars like 1957 Chevys/1969 Camaros, etc. as seen on TV.  Enjoy having something different, Todd C 

• Like 1

That looks like a fun little trucklet. I do try to say Willis when I mention these machines, but once in a while my mouth and eyes don't cooperate with my brain and I end up saying Willeez. There's never an apostrophe, but I just read an article written by a major news (new's?) outlet that said "XXX indicates the documentation show's that..." Ugh.

Apostrophes get abused. It's a crime akin to jaywalking these days. Have fun with your Willis and honor your grandfather with it.

Guest Eggsnbaconbits

Why no mention of the second generation 1967-'70 Jeepsters?  

Its nothing against them, I've just never seen any of them in person that was newer then the 53 Jeepster to have this experience with them.

Guest Eggsnbaconbits

On the Jeepster,  that is great you have one of your grandfather's cars.  You should keep it forever.

I definitely will be. It's never leaving the family under my watch. I just wish I could have gotten more of his cars. He had a beautiful purple 53 F-100 I really wished I had gotten.

My comment meant that the individual has the right to pronounce his own name anyway they like. It's been reported everywhere that John N. Willys preferred "Willis."

I understand and agree, West. Willys is one of a family of similar Irish and Scottish names -- Billis, Dillis, Gillis, Hillis, Tillis (like Mell Tillis) and others. How his family ended up with a "Y" in place of a second "I" is anyone's guess. It's that "Y" that throws people off. Not all inaccuracies happened at Ellis Island. When the English outlawed the Irish language many Irish made changes to their own names for various reasons. Some of those alterations were unfortunate. (Sorry about the history lesson). I'm reminded of a case that has some similarities. When someone compounded the words "frigid" and "air" together to make the brand name "Frigidaire", I'm sure that they never imagined that the public would forever pronounce the new word "fri-gi-dare". Any way, the correct way to pronounce a name or a word becomes academic when the public makes up it's mind to go it's own way on the matter.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Nick, that`s the jeepster I remember, to me there is a big difference from the red one.. Different year or what??

He posted a 1948 custom Willy's Jeepster. I posted a 51  Willy's Jeepster.. It was the only  pic I had... You never see them at cars show..

I know they are not cheap if you want one...

Not all inaccuracies happened at Ellis Island.

The "Ellis Island Name Change" story is a myth that has been repeated so many times, much like Henry's building Model "T"s to run on alcohol, that it has become truth. The fact is that few, if any, names were changed at Ellis. Google, "Ellis Island name change". There are a number of articles on the subject