Willy's Jeepster unknown to people?

Guest Eggsnbaconbits

As a past owner of three Willys Overland Jeepsters plus my father bought one new in 1950 I am quite familiar with these cars. We had a huge amount of factory literature including a four inch hard bound Service Manual which stated that production ended in August of 1950. In keeping with Willys policy, at the end of the year letters would be sent out to dealers saying to mark any unsold inventory to the next model year. Strictly speaking there were no 1951's but the unsold cars were licensed as such.

The '48 and '49 models came with a flat head four or six, frequently with overdrive. The fours were the exact same engines that were in the original military Jeeps - very rugged and nearly indestructible. The F-Head four was available in 1950, usually with OD and I think were rated at 72 HP. As a teenager with a new license in 1954 I drove the car thousands of miles - many unmercifully. Although only a three speed column shift, it was possible to get into OD second if you got to 28 MPH and let up on the gas. I have subsequently wondered why the long stroke engine didn't blow up at such high RPM's.  

The "Ellis Island Name Change" story is a myth that has been repeated so many times, much like Henry's building Model "T"s to run on alcohol, that it has become truth. The fact is that few, if any, names were changed at Ellis. Google, "Ellis Island name change". There are a number of articles on the subject

Immigrants arrived on our shores who were illiterate and thus unable to spell. So while few names were changed, some had a manner of spelling assigned to them by officials. The officials tried to be consistent, but time was limited. Thus, names weren't changed but the sound of them was "interpreted'.

Guest Al Brass

The "Willeeees"  vs "Willis" has always vexed me.   Are we 100% sure on that.  Everyone uses the former but I do know that the later is allegedly the right pronunciation.

On the Jeepster,  that is great you have one of your grandfather's cars.  You should keep it forever.

On a jeep forum, years ago, this same name pronunciation was being discussed.  A relation of John North Willys commented that his family name was always and still is pronounced "Willis".  That was the end of the discussion.

Regards

Al 

Edited by Al Brass (see edit history)

Guest joelonzello

We have a secret hoard of old cars from 20's - 50's a short walk from home including several Willys......just rotting away

post-148236-0-55200000-1453945574_thumb.

Guest joelonzello

Here's some more pics of a car hoard near me discovered two years ago. Several Willys visible including this weird tailed car. Covered by a brush so could only get shot of year lol

post-148236-0-75752900-1454034360_thumb.

post-148236-0-23569800-1454034376_thumb.