Inflating tires 100 years ago

mrcvs

The year is 1920 give or take a decade.  Your car needs air in its tire; how was a tire inflated in those days?

I do need an air compressor.  Just too cheap to pay full retail and the ones I have seen at auctions tend to be fairly recent (within the last couple of decades) and are either too far gone to even consider or brought more money than I was willing to bid.  My 1917 Maxwell needed air in the rear tires, and, being Christmas, my wife asked what I wanted.  Now, I am really difficult to buy for, as Christmas shopping implies going to retail outlets and paying full retail.  Interestingly, an article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago discussed how Christmas shopping makes no economic sense, and I agree.  My gifts are nice, but I would not pay what they cost; indeed, the basis of the article asked folks what their gifts cost and what they would be willing to actually pay for them, and it was only a fraction of the true economic cost of the gifts.

So, my wife spent too much on everyone else, on folks that don't even really warrant a gift from us (such as her sister's ex-husband's second child, she being the half-sister of her nieces), so I suggested she not buy me the air compressor I need, for two reasons.  First, it cost more than I would be willing to spend on it, and, secondly, because she didn't need to spend much on me having spent too much on everyone else.  (Obviously, the obvious approach would not work:  e.g., give me nothing today and reimburse me for the cost of the 'decent' air compressor I will hopefully find at auction some time in 2016 at a cost well below retail).  So, I suggested she get a bicycle pump for under $10 at Wally World, which she did.  It was rated to 70 psi, and I only need 55 psi for my 30 X 3 1/2 tires.  Well...getting to 55 psi was a bear!  Took me awhile, but I made it.  Separated the pump from its base once and managed to put it back together.

Which leads me to the question.  How were tires inflated a century ago?  It seems like they couldn't have used a bicycle pump, as it takes forever to do so and it ain't exactly easy.  But, then again, I have never been at an auction where a 'vintage' circa 1920 air compressor is offered for sale.

Beautiful weather today.  Okay, a bit overcast, and maybe some drizzle.  But, I got my tires inflated to the proper pressure and took the Maxwell for a spin.  Who would have thought I'd be driving it on Christmas Day in the absence of adverse weather conditions?

Larger cars, including senior Paiges and Pierce-Arrows, had Kellogg air compressors driven off the transmission as standard equipment.

Or you could give a 10-year old boy a shot of espresso and a bicycle pump with the promise of a $10 bill when all tires are at 50 psi....

• Like 1

Bicycle style pumps were reasonably common. The ones intended for early H.P. tires were often double or even triple stage. {large pump cyl. feeding a smaller diameter  cyl. to give a higher pressure at the hose}. Also there were foot pedal pumps, sometimes with a provision to clamp to a running board. And even high volume pumps that once again were mounted to a running board  with a handle that would alternately be pushed and pulled.

Also power drive pumps were a reasonably  common accessory except instead of being driven p.t.o. style off the transmission like most factory installed pumps, were driven off a gear mounted on the Magneto or water pump drive shaft. The pump would be meshed with the gear with the engine turned off , and then the engine would be started to power the pump and produce air.

Greg in Canada

I have attended a lot of auctions over the years and I don't recall any air compressors going for bargain prices (10 cents on the dollar, for example). Once you have one you will wonder how you did without one. They can generally be found new at substantial discounts from "retail" if you watch the ads closely.

• Like 1

Okay, so I am not crazy! I assumed because I never saw a vintage air compressor for sale, I am either attending the wrong auctions or they simply did not exist in 1920 or thereabouts; obviously, the second option was the case.

Yes, the air compressor I was looking at was even for sale at a third off at Wal-Mart. Part of the reason I did not get it, in addition to what I already stated, was because it wasn't even in stock. I guess several others determined that 1/3 off was indeed a good price.

No, I don't intend to get one at 10% of retail at auction. I could just luck into this, but unlikely. A third to half of retail is a realistic expectation.

Grimy, if I was around in 1915, and you were, too, you would be my best friend! Check this out: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com

If you type in the years 1915 and 2015, and use $10 as the value, you just paid me the equivalent of $234.99 to inflate your tire!

If you reverse the years and want to know, if you feel that inflating a tire is worth $10 today, what you would have paid in 1915 to do so, the answer is 43 cents.

Edited by mrcvs (see edit history)

There are brass bicycle type air pumps I have seen with the Ford logo on them which I guess we're used on Model Ts and recently I saw a spark plug type air inflator for sale at an antique shop. We are lucky to live in a time when flat tires are uncommon!

Terry

Hand operated tire pumps came with many old cars at the time. Today though, the tire valves are made differently. The spring pressure on the valve is much greater so today's pumps have a pin in the coupler which depresses the valve when pumping. This keeps the valve open at all times which allows air to escape back into the pump on the intake stroke, making it almost impossible to inflate a tire. Originally, the gut springs were weaker allowing the valve to open on air delivery but close on the pump intake stroke so as to not to allow air to escape when pumping. If you compare a modern tire pump with an original pump you can see the difference. If you just want to inflate tires, small low capacity air-compressors can be had for under $300.00. Then there's always the filling station.

Once you have one you will wonder how you did without one.

MRCVS,  This is very true.  The important thing that you are not considering is the value of your time.  I can usually check all of the pressures in the tires for my cars (including daily drivers & the old vehicles) in a couple of minutes each.  This activity helps with tire wear and better fuel economy.

If I were to do it with an air pump, this is way too much time and tough to get enough air pressure.  No undoable, but time consuming.

I have a larger compressor in my garage with about 75 ft of hose that can reach quite a ways out into the driveway to the cars and a small pancake compressor in the basement workshop.  I bought it with a trim nailer and a stapler.  Great for doing work where portability is needed. 

If you do not need a large air volume compressor I would suggest one of the good pancake compressors that can be bought for about $150.00. 

Good for most everything except work requiring high volume air like sand blasting, body sanders, etc.

Just IMO

Suspect the reason you don't see early pumps is because the seals (often leather) did not last very long and they were considered disposable.

Now for $300 I would expect a stand up unit from Sears or a portable for about half of that (I have both of these from the last millenia and have been reliable).

If on a buget the Harbor Frieght has some small ones for under $50. There is also a 12v that might work at the side of the road.

The difference is mainly in the HP and the SCFM flow. "SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.1" will handle most air tools. "0.6 CFM at 90 PSI;" will inflate passenger car tires.

All of these are for occational use, not 24/7. Those are more expensive.

Can usually get another 20% off on HF products with a coupon but is something where "you get what you pay for".

What about using the air meter at the corner store? I would think the ownership of a Maxwell would warrant this expenditure?? Wayne,

Yes, this is a valid option, and I have used this option before. I was at 42 psi and used the bicycle pump to get to 55 psi before driving the Maxwell. I could have driven 2 miles to the nearest air meter at the local Giant, but it seemed sensible to have the tires properly inflated before driving. It isn't a good idea to drive on underinflated tires, but, in this case, I would probably have been okay.

I suppose because I needed 55 psi, and the cheap bicycle pump states it could pump to 70 psi, it seemed like a great idea at the time.

Guest AlCapone

Yes, this is a valid option, and I have used this option before. I was at 42 psi and used the bicycle pump to get to 55 psi before driving the Maxwell. I could have driven 2 miles to the nearest air meter at the local Giant, but it seemed sensible to have the tires properly inflated before driving. It isn't a good idea to drive on underinflated tires, but, in this case, I would probably have been okay.I suppose because I needed 55 psi, and the cheap bicycle pump states it could pump to 70 psi, it seemed like a great idea at the time.

You got posted on our club bulletin board as the post of the day! Common consensus was a little bit of wife control would go a long way. TThe guys thought it was so preposterous that it must be a joke! Wayne

I appreciate buying cheaper used items, but the notion that something isn't worth what it cost often seems a bit silly. If the ones you see for the price range you want are tore up I think the market is simply demanding their value based on all the economic factors. Consider the cost of a set of tires, and the safety of riding in inflated ones I would think a $100 pancake compressor to be a good investment, even if I could save money by waiting to find a used one. My time is worth a good amount too and rather than feeling bad about keeping the global economy cranking at full retail, I rest easy knowing my tires are full and I don't have a tank that's about to rupture from poor care by the previous owner who likely just let it sit with a full tank for a few years before deciding they didn't need it taking up space.

I come across circa 1920 "shop size" piston compressors now and then. In fact I have one that is at least that old. It has a flat belt drive , and open crankcase with an oiler {hit and miss engine style}. and it sits on a very heavily built, riveted tank {receiver}.

Air compressors have been around for longer than automobiles. Most were used for decades, and eventually plain wore out. Then were simply scrapped as by the time they were worn out spare parts were long unavailable. But they do show up now and then at swap meets, and things like antique tractor and equiptment shows.

Look in a 1920's "auto supply" type catalog. You will see many tire repair and maintenance devices , and lots of different pumps and compressors. Tires were a major expense and source of trouble for motorists pre war.

Greg in Canada

Well, I went to Wal Mart today and the compressor I wanted was in stock and still on sale! Problem solved! I think the issue was that it was just not available for Christmas Day, and not the cost of it, and that it was retail, etc. I like trying to find stuff at auctions below retail, for me it is more a game, than anything. But, in this case, well worth it! Tires can pump up a lot faster now!

A member brought to my attention that this topic was an object of ridicule. I am not offended, but it seemed to make sense at the time. That is, said air compressor not available before Christmas, let's keep things affordable at Christmas time, AND, if I need only 55 psi and a tire pump can do 70 psi, let's do it. I think 42 psi would be just fine to drive on at 25 mph for two miles until I made it to the Giant with the air pump. I just like the idea of being to inflate my tires at home.

Edited by mrcvs (see edit history)

Just now reading this. A couple points I did not see mentioned.

Powered air compressors have been around for a long time. But the idea that the average person would have one is fairly recent. Basically the past half century. In the '10s and early '20s, most gasoline was not even bought at gasoline stations. They didn't become common until the mid or late '20s. Before that, most gasoline was bought at general, hardware, or drug, stores. SOME of them had a curb-side dispenser outside. Some of them had inside dispensers that had to be pumped into gasoline cans, then carried out and poured into the car's tank. The '15 Studebaker I used to have had a gasoline tank mounted in the cowl, and filled from the front seat. This was actually done by many cars at the time, including many very expensive cars. As gasoline tanks moved from under the inconvenient front seat, many cars made them fill-able by sitting in the front seat by carrying the can from inside the store, and resting your elbow on your knee to hold it. I have actually done this, several times. Much easier than standing there holding a can. Anyone with such a car or truck should try it at east once just to see what I mean. 

Many stores that dispensed gasoline also provided air from a compressor, even in the early days.

As for tire pumps. In those days, almost everyone had a hand tire pump, due in part to the bicycle craze that began slightly before automobiles became common. Bicycles also used high pressure tires, and tire pumps were well made, and did not generally fall apart. Mother was sometimes enlisted to help with pumping up the tire, as tire pumps used the same muscles as laundry wash-boards. 

Yes, it did take awhile to pump up automobile tires. They required a lot more volume than bicycles did. Although two and three stage tire pumps did help? They didn't help much. The amount of muscle use required for the higher volume multi-stage pumps was still the same for an automobile tire as the easier to pump smaller single stage pump. (Ever USED one of those multi staged pumps??? Some of  them you have to PULL UP!!!) They are killers!

Many cars sold new including some tools, which sometimes included a tire pump. Some cars did not include a tire pump with the purchase, but dealers sometimes threw them in in order to close the deal. People have always liked thinking they were getting something for free.

Clincher tires like used on model T Fords and '10s Maxwells should NOT be run even a block or two even at lower speed even a few pounds psi low. They REQUIRE almost 50 psi to prevent rolling, acceleration, power, or braking, from trying to rotate the tire on the rim. Even 100 feet could slip a tire enough to damage the valve stem and result in a flat tire. Which could occur immediately, or a year later after you forgot about driving that block. THAT is one of the few things I had to learn the HARD way in my life.

I don't know about many parts of the country. But around a lot of Califunny, you cannot rely on stores or gasoline stations to provide air for your antiques. Many of them have lousy little pumps that cannot exceed about 30 psi. I cannot even top off the tires on my 2001 Expedition about half the places I have tried the past several years.. 

When I was MUCH younger (in high school), I once filled a 20 inch high pressure big truck tire with a bicycle tire pump. 60psi. Now, THAT was a workout!

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Clincher tires like used on model T Fords and '10s Maxwells should NOT be run even a block or two even at lower speed even a few pounds psi low. They REQUIRE almost 50 psi to prevent rolling, acceleration, power, or braking, from trying to rotate the tire on the rim. Even 100 feet could slip a tire enough to damage the valve stem and result in a flat tire. Which could occur immediately, or a year later after you forgot about driving that block. THAT is one of the few things I had to learn the HARD way in my life.

I don't know about many parts of the country. But around a lot of Califunny, you cannot rely on stores or gasoline stations to provide air for your antiques. Many of them have lousy little pumps that cannot exceed about 30 psi. I cannot even top off the tires on my 2001 Expedition about half the places I have tried the past several years.. 

When I was MUCH younger (in high school), I once filled a 20 inch high pressure big truck tire with a bicycle tire pump. 60psi. Now, THAT was a workout!

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Yes, that's exactly what I thought! Clincher tires should never be driven on low pressure, and this is why I wanted to solve the problem at home.

I did take the Maxwell to Giant last summer, and I could not recall what I got the pressure up to, but it wasn't even close to 55 psi. I thought it was something I was doing, but I see now it might just be impossible to get to 55 psi unless you have a compressor at home--or, a real workout with the bicycle pump!

I thought I posted this early on, but it seems to have gotten lost!  Yes, there were definitely tire pumps available in the teens and twenties, although most people just went to their corner service station, unless stranded on the road and having to pump up tire to fix.  Here's a Michelin Man (Bibendum to those who knew him well!) and an early Champion compressor...

post-76888-0-81653700-1451183808_thumb.j

post-76888-0-65397900-1451183815_thumb.j

Trimacar, Nice pumps! The Bibendum is a great piece. I never really got into that sort of automobilia, but that one I can really appreciate.

The other one you show also looks very interesting.

A lot of home use air compressors were made out of refrigeration pumps. The problem with them is that they circulate some amount of oil within the compressed air. Not really good for paint or tires.

I have the air compressor that belonged to my grandfather. It is valuable to me because of the family history. But in spite if the neat tank and and iron wheels, it is not really a valuable antique because it is a little bit like George Washington's axe. Both the motor and the pump were replaced from Sears probably in the 1950s, and clearly much newer than the rest of it. I love it because it was granpa's, and it works great. I dropped the pressure cut-off switch from 120 psi down to 90 psi because the tank is probably 100 years old. Still enough to fill the tires on my '24 coupe and the other model Ts. Besides, if you don't look real close, it still looks like 100 years old.

mrcvs,

How about posting some pictures of your car! I know several people that have Maxwells, from 1906 on up to 1924. I know a couple people that have 1916/'17s. Nice cars.

W2

Guest j.Illeney

I use a hand tire pump to top off the tires on my motorcycles, my model A ford and my 1914 Maxwell - the tires are small so 20 - 30 pumps do it --- until this was posted I did not give it a second thought really not a lot of work -I guess people were in better shape 100 years ago !!

All right, so I understand the concept of taking a spark plug out and using that cylinder on your engine as a compressor, to inflate a tire.  There'd have to be a check valve in the attachment or hose, of course, so air wouldn't bleed back into the cylinder.

Which leads me to my question.

Wouldn't you then be filling the tire with the compression stroke of the engine, which in turn is an explosive gas mixture?  Then you'd be driving a car with an explosive mixture under pressure in the tire?  Not that it WOULD explode, but what about the next guy who's removing the tire right next to a wood stove? 

If you only plan to inflate tires then a small cheapie compressor will do the job.If you think you might want to get a few air tools, etc. then you need to put more thought into it.  Look at the cubic feet per minute it can deliver at what pressure.  Some air tools are real air hogs such as sandblasters or paint guns.  If you do plan to use air tools I would also recommend staying away from those oil-less compressors.. 

Just a comment but in the early daze, fuel pumps were not common. Tanks were mounted above the engine (cowl was common) and gravity provided the flow.

This meant that on a steep hill some cars (believe the Model A was one) had to go up backwards to avoid starving the engine.

Just a comment but in the early daze, fuel pumps were not common. Tanks were mounted above the engine (cowl was common) and gravity provided the flow.

This meant that on a steep hill some cars (believe the Model A was one) had to go up backwards to avoid starving the engine.

Not the Model A because the fuel/gas tank was above the instrument panel with the fuel fill in front of the windshield in the center.

The Model T was the back up a long hill if the fuel was low. 

That was the reason for having a Stewart-Warner vacuum fuel system.

A compressor is one of those tools where, once you have had it, you wonder how you got along without it.  Since I have doubles of most of the tools I need and have for a long time I have not taken advantage of this but if I was on a tight budget and wanting tools for the hobby I would check out my local pawn shop.  There is one less than a mile from my office, and I pass it daily on the way home - in summer they put out a lot of tools and machinery for display; like anything used you take your chances, but I would definately consider that option if I was bargain hunting.I think you see more tools, electronics and maybe jewelry at these places than priceless antiques on TV. 

I pulled out my Shadbolt and Boyd catalog from 1922 (339 pages of automtive accessories and equipment....kind of like a JC Whitney of the day but higher end).  Below are the various air compressors offered.

Scott

post-108790-0-60587500-1451317412_thumb.post-108790-0-64758800-1451317423_thumb.post-108790-0-16140500-1451317434_thumb.post-108790-0-32382500-1451317444_thumb.post-108790-0-58091500-1451317454_thumb.

A bicycle-mounted pump would be easier to use than a hand pump but take up much more space. The old catalogue doesn't show any though.

I would not use an engine spark plug "pump". The oil and fuel in the "air" would shorten the tube's life.

In New Zealand, all benzine (as it was called) came in 4 Imp. gallon tins (tin-plated steel) until the end of 1925. (I remember my grandmother in the '60s and '70s still calling it "benzine".) The tins usually came in a wooden box, two per box. Single-tin boxes were also used. Ships came to the provincial ports loaded with the stuff. Of course, the tins didn't all stay sealed and a few got damaged, so they were highly risky ships to be near. The tins were carried on running boards (and anywhere else they could be tied on) and often discarded on the side of the road when emptied into the car. There were many uses for the tins; my father made a boat out of them and rowed it around Wellington harbour. Houses and sheds were made of the tins and boxes. With the fuel being in tins, it was easy for general stores to stock it, as well as those in the automotive trades.

Any chance you have an originator of that line?

Edit: never mind, I used my google. Ben Franklin.

The comment was made by Ben Franklin about the white horse they bought for George Washington from a low bidder. They borrowed the one in the picture.

Then they went out for low bids on a boat!

Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Eman

That's when Franklin started using @#!&@# in place of common words.

Bernie

• Like 1

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

I have bought several compressors over the years and only the one that I bought when I had to much money still lasts.

I keep a small compressor in my race trailer, the $99 dollar one from Shucks lasted two seasons. When I went looking for a reed valve for it I found that they were not available so I made one. That valve didn't last very long, so back to the sting of the price going away long before the disappointment of the poor quality goes. Get a good quality compressor that has parts available. Nothing worse than having to shut down due to poor quality tools that should have been dealt with in the beginning.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)