Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Seeing as last summer was the year of the Lincoln, the '41 Limited didn't get much use. Well, since the Lincoln is laid up for a while with a crummy gas tank, the Buick is back on deck. We always bring it out for the local Memorial Day parade and put the Admiral's stars on it. It's been sitting for eight months but it fired right up like I had just driven it yesterday, idled perfectly, and asked for nothing, just ready to rock. Even tire pressures were still where I left them last fall. I took the long way home from the shop and put about 40 miles on it without incident. I always forget how much I love driving this car and getting behind the wheel is always a bit of a revelation. It just eats pavement.

It's a tight fit in the garage but it doesn't seem to mind bunking with the freshly facelifted TourX. 

2024-05-2616_19_02.jpg.6c9bf9176c07cf0d00785b3d48441436.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Seeing as last summer was the year of the Lincoln, the '41 Limited didn't get much use. Well, since the Lincoln is laid up for a while with a crummy gas tank, the Buick is back on deck. We always bring it out for the local Memorial Day parade and put the Admiral's stars on it. It's been sitting for eight months but it fired right up like I had just driven it yesterday, idled perfectly, and asked for nothing, just ready to rock. Even tire pressures were still where I left them last fall. I took the long way home from the shop and put about 40 miles on it without incident. I always forget how much I love driving this car and getting behind the wheel is always a bit of a revelation. It just eats pavement.

It's a tight fit in the garage but it doesn't seem to mind bunking with the freshly facelifted TourX. 

2024-05-2616_19_02.jpg.6c9bf9176c07cf0d00785b3d48441436.jpg

Tell us about the facelifted Tour X, aht did you do to it??

My wife has a 2018 Regal GS, and really loves hers. Unfortunately the Regal X, along with some other models were never sold new here in Canada, but I'd love to have tried one out at the time.

We attended a small regional meet this past weekend.  The car and the air conditioner performed well even though the temperatures were near 100 in the dew point was near 80°.

I usually conclude my posts by saying I was out killing bugs and killing the planet.  This time it was too hot for any bugs and haze smoke and ash from agricultural fires South of the border had any car driving through it an air scrubber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Took a drive this morning to pick up a pizza for lunch at my “First” pizza place. When I was a kid in the 1970’s you could get a small cheese pizza on Wednesday for $1.00.! I paid $13.50 for a large cheese pizza today. Still great pizza. Worth the trip. The 41 ran flawlessly as always!

IMG_0838.jpeg

• Like 7

I’ve been bad about getting the cars out this spring. Projects around the house and the kid’s activities have been keeping me busy. Took the 71 LeSabre sedan on a drive today to stretch its legs. Such a nice driver. A little shot of the pair of 71s.

IMG_3227.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/24/2024 at 2:37 PM, Paul White said:

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted here. Last weekend my wife and I along with a bunch of friends attended a 10 course Titanic re-enactment dinner at an Edwardian period hotel in the Blue Mountains, located 70 miles west of Sydney and 120 miles from our home on the Central Coast.  The hotel was purchased by its current owner 18 months ago and is undergoing a fabulous and sensitive restoration. Of course there is a Buick angle with me in my '36, my long-term friend Dave recently buying a '37 Buick and Michael and his '41 Sedanette, all Fisher bodies,. A pleasant weekend was had by all with the Buicks out and about around the area over the weekend. Please enjoy the photos. Cheers Paul 

Titanic 1.jpg

Hmmmm, yes, some serious reprobates in that photo!

Dave

My frustration formula with Beulah has struck again. Whatever repair or enhancement in appearance is done causes an immediate reduction in performance. The big job of redoing the ball studs and slight adjustment to the steering box had the intended effect of better tracking, more solid steering and less steering wheel play. Great! Drove to our church on Thursday with no issue "all was right with the world". On the way home the engine seemed to bog down and was stumbling. I thought a bit of carb tweaking would take care of it. Tried to drive out to church Sunday morning and the same thing was happening within a block of home. Turned around and got her back in the garage. Ugghh.....I will get to this later.....  While in the garage last night I was getting something out of the car and tried to turn on the spotlight..... No light......tried the light switches...... no lights...... no horn....... no ignition...... I had put in the new battery several weeks ago! I checked it and it was at 6.45v.  I started checking under dash checking for loose connections.  I pushed on the starter pedal and the starter spun nicely. I turned on the ignition switch and she started up immediately. I tried the light switch, dash, horn and all was now working but the headlights which only came on momentarily on dim and bright.  So, the headlights are still not working. The inline fuse I installed for the headlights was ok. This will be today's project to trouble shoot this. But I did drive her this weekend!

No rest for the wicked!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

On the way home the engine seemed to bog down and was stumbling.

Maybe not carb after all?  Could it be an electrical issue affecting both the headlights and ignition?

At least you're working on your car -- I'm still clearing a list of 'higher priority' household tasks...  I need to replace the blown muffler on the Riviera before Strongsville.

• Like 3

Not the weekend, but I don't need any excuses to take one of my favorite Buick jaunts out to Fort Funston in the southwest corner of San Francisco.  Lovely day for a drive and a walk, and I never have trouble finding my car in the parking lot!

Funston7.jpg.1ae54565c7aa1f4255d2bd61aacbe30c.jpg

Funston6.jpg.ff2d12297d2319b4a5ed901795b923ff.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

We took the '41 Roadmaster to the cruise night in Port Dover, a resort town on the North shore of Lake Erie. It was a lovely evening, and there were a couple of hundred cars, including a few Buicks, other than my own.

Then we took the long way home, via a gas station on a Native reservation. Due to the tax structure the Natives are allowed to see fuel to the rest of us at a lower price as they don't pay as much tax. Nuts, but it works out to typically 40-50 cents per gallon less.

Not just to save a few dollars, but to give the car some extra driving as we are taking it on an extended weekend tour starting Friday and I wanted to make sure it was running good, which it was.

A total of about 65 miles on nice country roads.

Buick41Dover.jpg.71708b29648c7650c51fbe31b69fb0ff.jpgBuick41Gas.jpg.0ec8ec5f4592de536d4973bedb215beb.jpgBuickLarkDover.jpg.e09aacf3e5556347f89baebebff67ac5.jpgBuicksDover.jpg.09c51abb479098a6bc81e4a93f126a92.jpg

• Like 9

I had to use an older picture but I had my 69 GS350 3-speed out a couple days last week.  

Great driving car!  My commute to work is 30 minutes, mostly highway.  I have some speedometer 

maintenence - odometer is woeking but speedo is bouncing at zero til I hit 80, then it flops over and reads 120!

Phone app speedometer helps.  Onward!  

IMG_3244.jpeg

• Like 7

Went to a cruise-in with Sharon to an area where she is employed. She is a teacher and is doing preK kids in her district. She told her class that she would be at the local drive in and thus about 7 of her students met us there. Of course we let them sit in the GS for a look/see/touch. Then Lee let them sit in his 29 Model A too. About 40 s-miles or more and a very nice time!20240603_172126(0).jpg20240603_172336.jpg20240603_172521.jpg20240603_172749.jpg20240603_223104.jpg

20240603_172536.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Another nice driving day in Rogue Island. Took the 41 Special out for errands. It was driving so well I got a little distracted and kept driving. 

IMG_0876.jpeg

• Like 5

Cars and Coffee, Saturday morning at RM Restorations with our 1915 McLaughlin touring car.  I know people at RM and I was directed to park under their canopy in front of their pretend old gas station.  The sun was against me however I got a few photos on my phone.  Another on the gravel road going home.  All is well, Cars and Coffee was full to the rafters so to speak.

Bev and I registered the McLaughlin for this September's Old Car Festival in Dearborn, Mi.

Regards, Gary

20240608_111337[1]l.jpg

20240608_090810[1]g.jpg

20240608_092013[1]j.jpg

• Like 5

We have been on a weekend tour in the Peterborough Ontario region with the Vintage Touring Group, which is for pre WWII cars only. Typically I'm the newest of the bunch, and the fastest too. There always a few Model T's plus this weekend, a '32 Desoto, a '32 Chev, a couple of Pontaics of similar vintage, a '26 Pierce Arrow, a '33 Rolls Royce, a '30 Cadillac. plus others, including a Studebaker as well. This one was limited to about 20 cars, so a modest sized group.

Cool and chilly this morning, and there was more rain in the night. We drove nearly 200 miles the day before and the weather was cloudy, sunny, rainy, then the same all over again, till it just poured heavily for about 3/4 of an hour. We were on a major highway through that part of the trip, but the car did fine, and the wipers worked great even uphill. I thoroughly rebuilt the entire system during the restoration and it is still working at designed. We do ship a wee bit of water from time to time but nothing we can't deal with.

This weekend we were visiting many of the local attractions which includes some fabulous scenery and amazing back roads. This is part of what's called "Cottage Country" as there are myriad of small lakes for fishing, boating, and other recreational activities.

We visited this suspension bridge which looked very safe though it swayed in the wind when further out on it. The bottom was a steel crosshatch which was very see through, so a bit of vertigo when looking down when out on it! Though the view was quite nice, despite the weather.

Some of the roads the tour took us were pretty narrow, one lane in places and a lot were gravel. There was a hill challenge, with an alternate for those who feared their car could not do them. I of course took the hill challenge and did fine except for a car that bogged down in front of us. They had an unsynco transmission and missed the downshift so had to stop and use first! Lots of clutch slipping to get going again, but in the end we all made it through.

Then we visited a micro brewery in an old (mid 19th century) church building. I'm sure some former parishioners would be rolling in the graves if they knew! However at the least this keeps the building alive and repurposed.

You can just see a guitar in one of the pics and a very talented gent was singing and playing guitar out front for most of the time we were there, then took a break to chat and take pics of our cars.

Inside there was an old and rather out of tune piano which I can never resist trying out! As an amateur keyboard performer myself they let me sit and play a few tunes, which was cool.

Keith

TourBuick1.jpg.b9eaef4ab53190beff4aaa192694e62f.jpgTourCars1.jpg.9fc5976dcf695396b888dbcc8520ef40.jpgTourCars2Rolls.jpg.5cccd105fe6ab10b54ce0ac2afaa6cfb.jpgTourStudeLine.jpg.3853902a32704e73a11a894036e9f80c.jpgTourBridge.jpg.fe6c6a62137fe4a108a7137df9ab8c0a.jpgTourChuch3.jpg.eb4cd1cec1acc0283a54489fd1157a9d.jpgTourChuchKey1.jpg.645ba924da75b8bbe955e6b7d1d86628.jpgTourChuchKey2.jpg.5a447be23f2545aa70e2a29f794e5e7a.jpg

TourCarsRoute.jpg

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Looks like fun, Keith. Keep us posted on any future tours, we'd love to come up there again!

Ok, I will. There's one in the Niagara area the weekend after the National, also so many people have commented to us lately on how much they enjoyed the tour we did in 2019 (Is it really 5 years ago? Wow). So we are going to plan to do one next summer.

Keith

Record high temperatures are predicted for the next few days in my part of the country. I had just sent a check to extend my storage until July 1st. But from the 5 PM news Thursday until 10 AM Friday the wheels were literally put in motion.

My '86 Electra Park Avenue convertible started right up and came home from up south of town flawlessly.

The new top cylinder I installed last year smoothly brought the top down for a ride up Main St.

IMG_0646.JPG.da6034d3bd4bf2e2e043bfa63d582e39.JPG

Usually putting the top down in a one time seasonal event. This year I have a little paint touch up to do on a few panels so it will be raised and lowered a few more times than normal. 38 years old.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Drove this one to cars and coffee this AM

PXL_20240615_112845676.jpg.a62ef30afd32986c7331cda964b9c285.jpg

She stood out. Ran great. Coughed a bit on the way home either heat or may have been getting low on gas. I ended up putting 17 gallons of so in her.

Seemingly just as I pulled in the driveway the brake light is hung on all the time so need to sort that. I say "just as" because moments before I took these beauty shots and it was not on. I adjusted the linkage but no luck will sort it out now.

But was a fun morning out.

PXL_20240615_134220998.jpg

PXL_20240615_134252939.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: Dummy when its in reverse the brake light /back up light stays on.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Car show today at Lakeside Ohio in  front of Lakeside Hotel Chautauqua on Lake Erie, about 50+ cars,,,,im only Buick, beautiful weather today about 80 degrees                                                                                                                                      May be an image of 2 people and body of water                                   May be an image of 2 people and text

Edited by Buick Regal GS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yesterday morning, I took my recently acquired 1979 Riviera on about a 50 mile round trip to a nursing home display. Today, I took it up to Burgaw NC, for the NC Blueberry Festival's car show, a round trip of about 80 miles. The Riviera is performing well. 

DSC_3188.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Had the Queen out for a ride today. Just about 60 miles where I was taunted by a Corvette,  squeezed by a Toyota pickup, cut off by a Hyundai, and tailgated in numerous locations.  The Queen stood proud and drove flawlessly!  I am so glad that car was sold to me!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I was taunted by a Corvette,  squeezed by a Toyota pickup, cut off by a Hyundai, and tailgated in numerous locations.

Envy is a terrible thing.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Had the Queen out for a ride today. Just about 60 miles where I was taunted by a Corvette,  squeezed by a Toyota pickup, cut off by a Hyundai, and tailgated in numerous locations.  The Queen stood proud and drove flawlessly!  I am so glad that car was sold to me!

Sometimes intimidation can be a wonderful sport.

This is an older picture I always liked. One was my wife's.

noses.jpg.947fb69bdb0cb6204d6750f8c42e655a.jpg

• Haha 3

This is why I haven’t been able to drive Gypsy lately. It had been a very wet couple of weeks in South Florida with lots of street flooding. Classic Car season is closed until dry weather returns. Not my car…. Picture for attention only

IMG_7320.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1