JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

7 hours ago, ted sweet said:

too cold here and roads are salt covered

Having had 10 inches of snow here last Monday and with salt dust on the roads it's over for now. 

Going to feel like a long winter...

Last weekend I had to change out 2 of the cars from the home garage to the storage building. I sent the 37 back to storage since we put on over 200 miles on it the previous weekend. The 1925 had not moved for over a month. So I took her for a quick 10 mile drive on a 35 degree day. That was last Saturday. Today it was sunny here in PA.so we took "Beulah" to church and then to lunch. This morning it was 29 degrees as we were on our way to church. Then the skies became cloudy and we had a snow shower. Quite some looks from some people with Joan and I all bundled up with the top still down.. We loved it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dei said:

Having had 10 inches of snow here last Monday and with salt dust on the roads it's over for now. 

Going to feel like a long winter...

You said it, my friend! Sure feels like that here too!

Keith

• Sad 1

Didn't get to drive the '37 Roadmaster this weekend, but instead drove the '88 'Vette-

the one which used to sport the Louisiana Personalized Antique license plate "BUICK"

1988 Corvette - Buick.jpg

The plate has since been transferred to the '37 Roadmaster,

and the 'Vette now wears the personalized Louisiana Antique plate "TOURING"

1988 CORVETTE REAR AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

Lest anyone raise concern as to our American Flag no longer appearing on the 'Vette, it was regrettable damaged as a result of repeated cleanings, and as in the case of a "proper" cotton flag, was "taken out of service" in the proscribed manner appropriate to our national emblem - even though it was simply a plastic stick-on.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The fall colors are as good as they're going to get here in central North Carolina. (this area isn't known for vibrant fall colors). 

I took The Aqua Zephyr out to catch a little of the best colors currently on display

20191124_172218.thumb.jpg.25aaa5637a122403ffebe4d453ddb05a.jpg

20191124160922.thumb.JPG.2ccdcb4ca52bc70520150631ec962405.JPG

20191124160947.thumb.JPG.cb1901c674abe4ef90eefa06d7f18c7e.JPG

20191124143412.thumb.JPG.d994839882ea1d0f61364a26c597cb83.JPG

20191124142342.thumb.JPG.dd8d47d268b96e8215c69623e6a9d1ef.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Today is a fine fall day, the weather forecast is cold and rain for a long stretch.

My wife and I are hosting an AACA Snapper Brass and Gas tour next summer so we are testing routes and destinations this fall.  We used our 1939 Century, perhaps for the last time for a long while, to go to an original Carolinian stand of trees.  Carolinian bush is an area of native to Ontario hardwood trees which has never been cleared for farms.  Sinclair Bush is owned by a conservation group so it will remain beautiful.

I do not winterize this Buick , so if we get dry roads at Christmas or an early thaw the car is set to travel.  Gary

DSC_2373 (3).JPG

• Like 7

I too, moved the Buicks around, and took the Reatta to town and back. With my '41, I do the same thing as Gary, and will take it out for spin in the winter when the roads are clear.

Keith

• Like 3

In TX I am lucky I never have to winterize. We get cold snaps and ice storms but they last maybe a week at most and it is back to mid 50's. Last year zero ice or snow and was a welcome break using the heaters on the 40 degree mornings. But we don't get the beautiful leaf season.

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

In TX I am lucky I never have to winterize. We get cold snaps and ice storms but they last maybe a week at most and it is back to mid 50's. Last year zero ice or snow and was a welcome break using the heaters on the 40 degree mornings. But we don't get the beautiful leaf season.

I'll swap the beautiful (maybe 2 weeks if you are lucky) leaf season for little to no snow or ice.  I just slid my way back and forth to the garage several times on the ice that was snow that's now getting rained on,  while I try to get my new $1300 garage door opener to work that just crapped out with a storm coming in, The door is wide open so I don't dare pull the disconnect to close it (16 foot wide 14 foot tall and two rows of glass) ,  it's dark out and the wife's at work so I have to keep an eye on the kids in the house while working on the opener on the other side of the property.

Ready to swap any day now.  

Yesterday was to be the last warm sunny day for a while. Good day to take "Beulah" for a leisurely drive and put the top up for the winter.

DSCF7935.thumb.JPG.1b73fa26893af0e24f8b4e037db56a8d.JPG 

After the drive Joan helps to set the top free as it had been encased in the boot since May.

DSCF7936.thumb.JPG.8553c38eba69467d42de3ea41a2b0aef.JPG Quite a wrinkled mess.

DSCF7937.thumb.JPG.69b147f036436bd0e00c712edadf5ce1.JPG Now to stretch out in the sun.

• Like 3

I started up the Skylark, and as soon as I backed it out of the garage it started running rough. Popped the hood expecting to find the choke stuck and instead I saw the carburetor vomiting fuel out the bowl vent. Float needle not seating properly or a float full of gas. So, does driving the car out of the garage and right back in count?

• Like 1

For the past couple Thanksgivings I have been able to load up some friends and drive us all in a proper style in the big 4 door to the annual potluck fest we have at their Ale House. Sadly looking like this year is a wash out unless the skies clear and the roads dry in a few hours. So I will be driving her in spirit (and using the gravel road survivor 53 Plymouth instead)  It is sad looking into the lonely winter garage but tomorrow looks dry and 70 so hope is on the horizon.

20191128_091723.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My son and his wife were in for Thanksgiving from Virginia and he wanted to go for a ride so we took the Reatta down to Jones Beach and Ocean parkway to stretch it's legs. Tossed the keys to my son and let him enjoy the drive. Had a real good time and some missed conversation together. Really felt like Thanksgiving, Good Times!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

IMG_20191128_135828436.jpg

IMG_20191128_135729548_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool! Love that beach! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Marty! And Happy Thanksgiving to all the Forum members.

• Like 5

I grew up in Blue Point and if my sister who lives in Holbrook is right, you better get ready to hunker down as winter is coming !  Glad to see you got a day to enjoy the beach before the snow comes calling.  I snuck the 49 out after all today and just hit a mist coming home. That turtle wax ICE wax and rainX sure did it's job !  The tradition continued !

• Like 1

It had all day to warm up and it appears to have hit 30 degrees. Went out for a ride along the Erie Canal. It has been drained and the water replaced by a steady flow of wind from the west.

Here's a stop by one of the wide waters where, some might say, three old barges could be seen.

001.thumb.JPG.c5e0767bfc85ce391fe92942dd51091b.JPG

• Like 4

Sorry, didn't have the camera or cell phone for a current picture, 

but moved the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton from one storage to another-

Bright sunshine and 80 Degrees today here in jazzy New Orleans - Go Saints !

but here are older pics at the National World War II Museum here in New Orleans,

with Katherine Smith as Margaret (Missy) LeHand, Secretary to Franklin Delano Roosevelt :

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-4.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-1.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-5.jpg

• Like 3

I've been driving the limousine every day for a few weeks because the transmission on my Cadillac CTS failed and it's been working pretty well. It doesn't seem to mind the cold and it hasn't really snowed yet so there's no salt on the road yet. The Cadillac should be back early next week so that should work out OK.

I also acquired this lovely little 1941 Super convertible from my friend Doug Seybold. It showed up a few days ago and for the most part it's an original car. Paint, interior, top, most of the chrome, all original. Chenanga Gray with red leather that's in fantastic condition. At the moment, I'm not sure whether it's a keep or a sell--I'm still digging out of the hole created by The Car Which Shall Not Be Named, so it doesn't make any sense to buy another car. But I sure miss my green 56C and driving this one doesn't make that go away.

41Super1.thumb.jpg.0432a0d844f82831f86b4d8942cae8dd.jpg  41Super2.thumb.jpg.5686b30571635b71d12c263bea1d3050.jpg  41Super3.thumb.jpg.525b5dde1ccdf08c7c8ec089d6fb4e7e.jpg

Buicks1.thumb.jpg.d91f8e8f5784469c4cca8ce88bb04eee.jpg

Doug went through it mechanically, including brakes, so it runs and drives pretty well. Today I tweaked the carburetors a bit to make them idle a little better and the shocks were bone dry so it bounced and wandered all over the road. You can see here that the shocks were not doing their job:

I filled the shocks with appropriate ISO 100 hydraulic oil, which really made a difference.If not for the square tires, it would be a wonderful tour car. Still, it drives quite well so I took a little drive to test the shocks:

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Every year I help put on a local car show on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Today we had a total of 107 cars registered for the show. It was a nice day despite being cloudy all day. In addition to my 1937 Century Model 61, there were 2 other 1937 Buicks as well as a 1935 Buick and a 1922 Buick.

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0215.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

This be the same oil for the 1949 Buick shocks?  

This is the right stuff. There are thinner oils but for rear shocks, I have best success with the ISO 100 (which is about equivalent to 30 weight oil). There's also ISO 32 (10 weight) and ISO 46 (about 20 weight). I like the ISO 100.

8-3-19c.thumb.jpg.b7b52fce2501864e22ac9e3461b8b339.jpg

Rear shocks are bolted to the brake backing plate and have a filler on top. it's an 11/32 square bolt. Be gentle unscrewing it, it might be tight.

Shocks1.thumb.jpg.6cca0ca3dab7fa69bf8a9faa84e56432.jpg  Shocks2.thumb.jpg.f33cec0e30a383831a690a1433b83915.jpg

Front shocks have the filler on top, you'll see it when you look down on the shock from inside the engine bay. Bounce the car while you fill it to work out any air bubbles. Don't over-fill, either, it needs a little space to expand. When it starts to firm up, add a little more then stop. And be prepared for them to leak--most shocks that are empty are empty because the seals have failed. I'm surprised that the shocks on the Super are holding oil, but we'll see what the look like in a few days...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I also acquired this lovely little 1941 Super convertible from my friend Doug Seybold. It showed up a few days ago and for the most part it's an original car. Paint, interior, top, most of the chrome, all original. Chenanga Gray with red leather that's in fantastic condition. At the moment, I'm not sure whether it's a keep or a sell--I'm still digging out of the hole created by The Car Which Shall Not Be Named, so it doesn't make any sense to buy another car. But I sure miss my green 56C and driving this one doesn't make that go away.

41Super1.thumb.jpg.0432a0d844f82831f86b4d8942cae8dd.jpg  41Super2.thumb.jpg.5686b30571635b71d12c263bea1d3050.jpg  41Super3.thumb.jpg.525b5dde1ccdf08c7c8ec089d6fb4e7e.jpg

Buicks1.thumb.jpg.d91f8e8f5784469c4cca8ce88bb04eee.jpg

Loved the video of the drive.  But, every time I saw a car approach an intersection to your left or right, I puckered up a little hoping that car would not cut in front of you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've been driving the limousine every day for a few weeks because the transmission on my Cadillac CTS failed and it's been working pretty well.

Just a random though thinking Buick and Cadillac at the same time. Ever compare putting a '41 Buick and a '41 Cadillac into reverse?