I will have to rethink attending some swapmeets and shows

junkyardjeff

Today I drove over to the swapmeet in Indianapolis today my self and even though I knew it was not going to be very big I like to go but the cost of gas got me doing some thinking today,I drove my 65 galaxie over there and filled up the new gas tank I recently installed and put 60 dollars of gas in it and it got me thinking its not worth going to if I can not get anyone to go with me to share the gas cost. A couple years ago I took 3 others with me but now having a hard time getting anyone to go so some are not going to be attended in the future and the one in Indy is on the chopping list,saturday I am attending a show about 35 miles from me and usually there is a regional meet of the CVA there and since the show was moved to a new location I have not read that they were going to have it so if its not happening that show will be cut out too. I hate to stop attending some shows and swapmeets that I have been attending for many years but when gas is over 3 dollars a gallon it puts a hurting on the wallet if I go by myself.

Also, not to mention the fact that some of these "local" car shows charge upwards of $25.00 for giving us, the car owners, the "privilege" to bring our cars out, show them and let people see them. Face it, without us and our cars, along with our willingness to participate, there wouldn't be any "shows".

Most shows that I am aware of have many expenses to cover to put on an event: port-a-potties, food concessions, music, or some kind of entertainment. A lot of things we take for granted and expect to have, need to be paid for. Keep this in mind the next time you visit a show field or a swap meet.

Wayne ( on the show field in Cleveland Tennessee, rainy day down here)

Wayne, I don't think the problem is that we're against paying . The problem is that the cost is borne on the backs of the very people that cause the event to happen. Goodguy shows have the attendees pay, not the vehicle exhibitors. The real reason that car guys are charged is that the show promoters want to guanantee that the cost of Porta potties, security etc. are covered so by charging the registrants they're covered rain or shine. Thats going to be a problem if guys like you did not show up in sufficient numbers during a rainey event. BTW how about a case of oil instead of a dust collector trophy. Something a guy can really use.

I just returned from a full friday at the Indianapolis swap meet. I had not been able to go the last couple of years due to other conflicts. I was pleasantly surprised to see a good amount of legitimate "old iron" including a good amount of prewar parts. I found and bought a lot more than I expected to. It was nice to see that it was not all commercial vendors and that there were a lot of guys just selling off old iron and buying parts for their new projects-like swap meets used to be. It was a really well organized event and I'll certainly be looking forward to attending it next year. By the way, the swap meets is put on and benefits several Indianapolis area car clubs and is certainly worth supporting. Events of this magnitude to happen for free and take 1,000s of volunteer hours plus 1,000s of dollars in expenses.

Our OCA chapter co-hosts an all-GM show with the local BCA club annually in the Washington DC area. We charge admission for the participants because 1) we get few spectators who aren't particpants and 2) the expenses (dash plaques, trophies, show field rental, DJ, etc) are primarily for the benefits of the participants. We have not increased the $15 fee in at least a decade, despite increases in our costs. The last two years attendance has been down and we've lost money. Partly this is due to threatening weather in the morning both years. There's no feasible way we could charge spectators instead of participants and make any money at all, or even come close to covering costs.

If you don't want to pay for a judged show, then attend free cruise nights instead.

Guest ole buick

First, I want to say "to each his own", everyone should do what they enjoy about this hobby. I'm not a car show person, I love the cars that get driven. I like to see them at gas stations and resturants. However, my good friend loves car shows so I go with him. My wife and I enjoy just getting out for the day in the old Chevrolet.

Now. what worries me is the loss of interest in our hobby. It hard to find people under the of 40 that have an interest in the old stuff. I wish we would begin to put our efforts to bring the young people in to the hobby. I have a nephew that is 30 years old and could care less about our old cars (57 Chevy Bel Air and a 41 Buick Roadmaster). I don't have children so he would probably inherit them but he simply does not care about them.

So I don't think it's a matter of of car shows versus cruise in's. It's a matter of the car hobby surviving unless we change our focus.

Thanks

Donnie

Here is my two cents. I also hardly go with one of my cars to a local shows anymore. Main reason is that 90% of the

ones that put the show on have no control or even try to have control of the show. Here are some examples:

1) Dogs running around and "dumping"

2) Kids(with bikes) and strollers going between cars.

3)Having to pay to enter with no benefits of going.

4)Modified cars insisting on parking in the original car spaces.

5)People telling you that your car is not what it should be.

6)On and on it goes.

I would rather pay and spend my time at a AACA show because of the control/org. they have.

Of course this is just my opinion; to each his own.--Larry

I wish gas was only $3 a gallon for me, I regularly pay $4.29 +/- but that's another matter.

The cost of shows should be borne by the participants I feel for several reasons. If attendees have to pay there would be even fewer than at many of today's events, and we already know how many times we have all discussed ways to get more people involved in the hobby. Paying to show your car is much like the equivalent of donating to a charity, in this case, our hobby. We give up a little bit of cash to help ensure the continuation of the hobby. It's a small investment when you consider the alternative.

Seems that concours type events have figured out the formula. Free to the exhibitors, often with breakfast and lunch thrown in, cover their expenses, and still have money left over to donate to a cause. Two local "small" shows that also come to mind are Macungie and Strausstown. Both charge admission to the public, charge a very modest show fee ($10), provide trophies and still make enough money to donate to causes. (Steve, did I spy you at Strausstown on the 8th cruising the flea market?).....................Bob

Sometimes you just need to think out of the box. A number of year ago, another frequent poster here and I started a "Main Street" car show in a local town with numerous antique shops and eating establishments on Main Street. The Visitor and Convention Council was contacted and a grant received for the car show because of the number of out of town visitors we would attract through direct mailings to car clubs in a three state area. The concept was "your car is your trophy". Pre-registration was free and included $10.00 "Downtown Dollars" that could be redeemed at any Main Street merchant. Feature cars were brought in and the event promoted in the news. There was great public turn out for the businesses. It worked great for three years, with about 150 -200 cars per year at the show. The Merchants Association took control of the show because they felt that "these guys love their cars so much, they will be glad to pay the association $25.00 per car" and it can be a fund raiser so we can buy more advertising for our businesses. Sad to say, but it became a paid cruise-in.

So what would be a benefit you would be willing to pay for? I ask this as someone who helps organize and run a show annually.

Joe: Have a few simple trophies to be given out like:

1) Best GM (Original/Modified)

2) Best Ford (Original/Modified)

3) Best Mopar (Original/Modified)

Best if it is judged by someone that knows cars or if nothing else "paritcipate voting"; nothing fancy. IMHO--Larry

Not quite on track, but I wanted to add my two cents here about young people liking the older cars. I just got back last week from the National Durant meet in San Diego, California. Three days of touring around in the old cars. As we drove the old 20's cars around I can't tell you the number of thumbs up, nice and cool car comments and horn beeping in a good way as we drove through the area. Even at one point we happen to pass what appeared to be a middle school at the time they were getting out. I only heard positive comments from the kids. No negative, only "nice car', "I like your car" and "cool car" comments as we drove by. I think everyone has a soft spot for older cars and like to look at them. One of the problems the younger people have is they just don't know how to get into the hobby. They don't have the spendable cash to restore one and we all know how expensive it is to have things done. If they do not have a mentor, like a father, or grandfather who is in to cars to show them the ropes and teach them how to do things, and many don't they just like to look. I know our club seems to take the attitude that you can look, come sit in the car, want a ride? We enjoy our events and getting the people interested in our cars. Our club like every organization now a days is having a real problem with getting the youth involved. Maybe if we were more inviting and friendly to the younger crowd and not stand offish or snobby at shows we would attract more of the younger crowd. Let's face it many of us are old grouches when we come to people around our cars or asking questions, to many it's a bother. We just need to be more open and receptive to the younger people I think.

I attend car shows that promote monetary support of a cause. Cancer, autism, SPCA and the like. The entry fee is divided in support of the show and cause. Sometimes lunch is provided. I have never been to a show that did not support a cause. Supporting the cause make shelling out a few bucks that much easier. Also, this is my hobby. What is the difference in saying your hobby is golf? Green fees are astronomical to play. Say you like to fish. The cost fuel and bait etc are as high as showing a car. Night of bowling will set your wallet back. Being as such I have little issue with the expense my hobby. And, if money does not allow I do not go. But I can still drive the car around the block a few times for some enjoyment for the day. The cost to enter my car, meet with friends with like interest, talk with folks who are interested in my car and supporting a good cause with a few bucks beats a awesome day at the office hands down. :-)

Guest my3buicks

Back to Jeff's original thoughts - I look at traveling to shows/swap meets like this - many spend their money going to concerts, shows, sports events, out drinking on a Saturday night, etc etc - those are all forms of entertainment and enjoyment. Going to shows and swap meets to me is the same as all those - a form of entertainment. You pay for your entertainment regardless what the venue.

I solved my travel problem, if I need to travel far, I leave the 455 engine car and the other V8 car at home and take my 90 Reatta convertible, I pull 29-30 on it and it is actually more comfortable to travel in than any collector car I have ever owned.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I have decided a couple of my old cars are going to get overdrive trans to help on the gas mileage so I can afford to attend the events,since my 65 galaxie has a manual trans I am going to see if I can come up with a 3 speed o/d trans and if I can not it will be converted back to a automatic and use a AOD. My 55 Ford is also a long distance driver and since it has a later motor a AOD is going into it too,the cost of the events is not the problem here but the cost of getting too them is starting to cause some concerns if the events are over a 100 miles from home. 16 miles per gallon does not cut it any more so I will see if I can get them to around 20 and no I am not going to get a mini van,when I go to the show in Daytona I spend about 500 dollars for gas and I know if you want to play you have to pay but I need to cut some costs a little.

If you don't want to pay for a judged show, then attend free cruise nights instead.

Well even some of these are starting to charge. But if it weren't for shows and cruise nights, what else would we do with these cars?? Nobody seems to be complaning about paying high cable bills every month.

Well even some of these are starting to charge. But if it weren't for shows and cruise nights, what else would we do with these cars?? Nobody seems to be complaning about paying high cable bills every month.

Exactly! These cars aren't driven that much, and frankly compared to what I spend on gas in my daily driver, the fuel costs for my collector cars is a nit. I don't smoke, don't drink (much), don't pay cable bills, don't spend $5 a cup on Starbucks, etc, etc. This is my entertainment expense. NOT driving a car is the worst thing you can do to it.

I attend car shows that promote monetary support of a cause. Cancer, autism, SPCA and the like. The entry fee is divided in support of the show and cause. Sometimes lunch is provided. I have never been to a show that did not support a cause. Supporting the cause make shelling out a few bucks that much easier. Also, this is my hobby. What is the difference in saying your hobby is golf? Green fees are astronomical to play. Say you like to fish. The cost fuel and bait etc are as high as showing a car. Night of bowling will set your wallet back. Being as such I have little issue with the expense my hobby. And, if money does not allow I do not go. But I can still drive the car around the block a few times for some enjoyment for the day. The cost to enter my car, meet with friends with like interest, talk with folks who are interested in my car and supporting a good cause with a few bucks beats a awesome day at the office hands down. :-)

LIKE!

Ben

From now on if I travel over a hundred miles its going to be a weekend event where I can get the most bang for the buck spent getting there,next year I think I will enter a car in the Goodguys show that is going on the same weekend so I can hit both events and have a mini vacation. I would like to see if I can get my old cars to get a little better mileage with some tuning and overdrive trans but I was thinking about the cost vs the result factors so the larger shows might be the best for now.

I would gladly pay $25.00 to enter a car show that does NOT have music blaring! Most of the local shows around here have faded away. I used to be able to go to one every week if I wanted. Now there are only 4-5 per season within a reasonable difference. And lets face it, once you've been to Hershey, local shows pale in comparison. I'd rather save my money for Hershey or not enter my car in a show and just go as an attendee.

I want to make it to Hershey one day but driving over a hundred miles just for a small swapmeet or show is over for me unless I have others coming along to share expense,no more Indy unless I am in the area for another event and the same with the swapmeet in Louisville in the spring. I usually find more parts in the swapmeet at the Ducktail run then any all year long.

Guest ole buick

Junkyardjeff,

Boy did you ever push the big red button.

I live in a town of about 150,000 people. Yesterday there was a car show at one end of the mall and a motorcycle toy run at the other end. There were about 80 cars that attended the car show. There were over 1,100 bikes that attended their event and people actually lined the streets to see the bikes. They were in truck beds in lawn chairs there were hundreds of vehicles along the side of the road. Over at the car show, not much going on. One last kick in the teeth, when the modified cars pulled out they left with screaming tires and driving recklessly. The hoodlems on the bikes. did not cause one problem. I was a little embarassed.

So today on this beautiful 76 degree day we did what we like best. We got the Buick out and rode the country roads until we ran out of time.

I dont know how it got pushed when all I was saying I will have to watch where I go due to the cost of gas,I see some were mentioning the cost of the show and thats not the issue here. I just cant afford to go to some events I want to and will have to attend events where I get more bang for the buck to make it worth it to attend if I dont have anyone going with me to help on gas.

Junkyardjeff,

Boy did you ever push the big red button.

I live in a town of about 150,000 people. Yesterday there was a car show at one end of the mall and a motorcycle toy run at the other end. There were about 80 cars that attended the car show. There were over 1,100 bikes that attended their event and people actually lined the streets to see the bikes. They were in truck beds in lawn chairs there were hundreds of vehicles along the side of the road. Over at the car show, not much going on. One last kick in the teeth, when the modified cars pulled out they left with screaming tires and driving recklessly. The hoodlems on the bikes. did not cause one problem. I was a little embarassed.

So today on this beautiful 76 degree day we did what we like best. We got the Buick out and rode the country roads until we ran out of time.

We have a few that light them up. It does shed a bad light on the car show events. But, did we buy our classics to drive, enjoy, tinker and polish or purely for showing at a car show? By and large I purchased mine to drive, admire, polish, tinker, collect memorabilia related to the car/year it was manufactured, a hobby and fulfill a dream as a young man in owning one. The show was secondary when I mulled over making the purchase. However, the shows are fun and part of the hobby as I have found out. Not going to the show does not lessen the enjoyment I have in owning the vehicle. It is my escape for the afternoon driving the country roads. Nothing more.

I would gladly pay $25.00 to enter a car show that does NOT have music blaring! Most of the local shows around here have faded away. I used to be able to go to one every week if I wanted. Now there are only 4-5 per season within a reasonable difference. And lets face it, once you've been to Hershey, local shows pale in comparison. I'd rather save my money for Hershey or not enter my car in a show and just go as an attendee.

X2 on that!

At least as a spectator I can leave and not have to deal with the usual awful dj's and their annoying music.

I dont know how it got pushed when all I was saying I will have to watch where I go due to the cost of gas,I see some were mentioning the cost of the show and thats not the issue here. I just cant afford to go to some events I want to and will have to attend events where I get more bang for the buck to make it worth it to attend if I dont have anyone going with me to help on gas.

You're not alone certainly. Where I live I could attend a show on both weekend days just about all year. That would get very costly without a doubt. I pick and choose. I schedule weekend outing with my family. I regulate a show to one a month. Of those shows I attend the ones with what I consider a great cause. I do, however, attend the cruise-in held every Saturday night. It is $2. This covers the three spot-a-pots. Ya gotta go ya gotta go.....

Wayne, I don't think the problem is that we're against paying . The problem is that the cost is borne on the backs of the very people that cause the event to happen. Goodguy shows have the attendees pay, not the vehicle exhibitors. The real reason that car guys are charged is that the show promoters want to guanantee that the cost of Porta potties, security etc. are covered so by charging the registrants they're covered rain or shine. Thats going to be a problem if guys like you did not show up in sufficient numbers during a rainey event. BTW how about a case of oil instead of a dust collector trophy. Something a guy can really use.

last time I showed a car at a goodguys show I paid.

I agree that all hobbies cost money, and I'm sure they're all getting more expensive. I chose to restore my 1918 DB Touring back to original, even though I know I'll spend more on it than it's valued. I'll do the same with my 1928 Whippet Coach. I have a 1952 Dodge pickup that I modified with 1981 Jeep 4 wheel running gear and the 4.2 liter motor. I have been offered more for that than I would ever get for my DB or Whippet! It's about choice. I do have a 16 year old boy showing much interest in working on my old cars with me, and have decided to pass on my 1918 and all my shop tools to him before I go (he doesn't know it yet!).

Now, about saving money - I have an 18 foot flatbed trailer which I would like to add a temporary enclosure to it, to transport my cars, so I can use one trailer for many uses. Does anybody have any suggestions I could mull over. Naturally, I want it to be strong, dry, light and lockable. Do I want too much? Or, should I just buy a ready - made? I just don't feel like having two vehicle licenses if I can do it in one.

This thread took off in a totally different direction then I planned and glad I do not have to haul them,my 66 f250 powered by a 460 with a 2500 or so pound trailer plus the weight of the car being hauled adds up to not so great gas mileage so I guess 16 or 17 miles to the gallon is not so bad after all. I am just going to stay closer to home for now.

Best shows that I attend in the Detroit area are the "MotorMuster" show at Greenfield Village on Fathers day weekend for vehicles 1932-1976 and the "Old Car Festival" the first weekend after Labor day also at Greenfield Village. They charge $25.00 and it is worth it because there is no blaring DJ and your get to show your vehicle on the village grounds. No chopped and channeled vehicles allowed. Both shows are intended to show vehicles as they were when built. These two shows are my highlight for summer.

Also, don't smoke, don't drink, don't gamble, no girl friends, Just a Great Wife and the trucks where we spend our money.;)

This thread took off in a totally different direction then I planned and glad I do not have to haul them,my 66 f250 powered by a 460 with a 2500 or so pound trailer plus the weight of the car being hauled adds up to not so great gas mileage so I guess 16 or 17 miles to the gallon is not so bad after all. I am just going to stay closer to home for now.

Jeff,

You can always join us on local AACA tours. Southern Ohio Chapter is hosting the Ohio Region Fall Tour in Troy, Ohio October 18-20

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

Gasoline prices, adjusted for inflation, are not that much more than they were in 1939. Three dollar and something gas is not expensive in comparison to a lot of locales. Try buying some $3 gas at Death Valley. I could not imagine forgoing an event that I had been planning on attending because I could not find someone to pitch in for gasoline.