I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Riv nut 

amazing it’s stiill around , sounds like a good outing for all the local classics , pity cars can’t talk wonder how many movies Ruby’s watched back in the 50s and 60s while her occupants were cuddled up?

The new B&B chain of theaters (at least to tbe KC area) has revamped two drive-in theaters, one in Kansas City, not far from tbe Royals ballpark / Chiefs football complex, and one in the suburb of Independence, MO.  So that gives us a total of three in the area.  They're just like the indoor venues in that they all show the same shows.  One of them is a twin; watch one show in front of you and another over your shoulder.

• Like 1

There are a few around this area too, and we did go one night when we had the 95 Riviera.  The soundtrack over FM worked great on the Riv's factory radio.  But the mosquitos were thick as ever, and we had to run the car and the AC for the entire movie.   I worried about carbon monoxide poisoning for the whole movie.

Unfortunately, in this area, I can't see myself taking advantage of this venue again.  It just does not seem too practical. 

About 5 years ago, when all of the non-digital drive-in had to convert or close, Honda sponsored a nationwide competition where votes determined who got the 10+ digital projectors they were giving away.  I think others ended up converting on their own, if they are still around.  There will always be "legends" of what went on in the back rows of the drive-in movie parking lot!  The upper balcony at the walk-in was not as good.

NT5467

• Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, Elpad said:

Concept?

1AAFE35B-0BB8-4592-8FA5-A7A05E8690B5.jpeg

Picture taken at the GM Design Dome patio in Warren Mich.  Yes, concept with the rear windows.

The area on the south of the dome with the arc of cars in the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/warren+mi+gm/@42.509413,-83.0449911,298m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A nice Special i saw this morning at a swap meet and car show in Fitchburg, Ma. Maybe not my choice of wheels and im generally not a fan of body color painted bumpers, but a really nice car overall. My phone started acting up a bit around this point after all of the pictures i was taking so i only got this one.received_1802648546424159.thumb.jpeg.af2fd6139bd5166f90ca660a11573ffb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Bleach said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found it while looking up info on some of his other cars.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/d1/e7/dcd1e7ce596bff983476447ae1fdd5ed.jpg

Was thinking of him when I took the opportunity of buying car reg B9 HUR for my chariot pity not a 59 or60 Electra but a juke! ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

On 8/1/2017 at 9:18 AM, Larry Schramm said:

I wonder if the building is still there?

The building still there. This is a recent picture that I requested from someone that visited my hometown unfortunately no more car dealership

4C7571E6-5238-45C9-92DC-7715AB2DA0AF.jpeg

On 8/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, Elpad said:

1953 photo of Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealership in Santa Clara, Cuba formerly a Buick distributor. There is a Buick in the background. Photo courtesy of Mr. Tom Gibson. Love the Art Deco style building.

IMG_2623.JPG

Then & now... no cars though

2527BCB5-A8C1-4615-98D2-C74F48F1A3DF.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GARY F said:

I miss those old motels where you just pull up in front of your door.

Yes... and no.

Last one I vividly remember was in St Augustine, Florida.

After a long day and coming into the edge of this City my wife and I were tired and drove in late in the night at one of those places to book a room.

Being on the strip so to speak (Old US 1) it was lit up in that late 60's style Xmas lights but looked fine (in the dark). This taller than me guy with glasses on the end of his nose behind the counter looked at us as we came in the door and said in this slow drawl, "Hia, Haw you?"

You know that feeling when you are so tired that anything makes you laugh? Being from the North didn't help either. (Please, No offence meant) 

Got through that and parked in front of our room. As soon as we opened the door you could feel the humidity and smell that somewhat concrete floor musty smell...

This was no Howard Johnson's but after making sure the sheets were clean (and not crawling or worse) we slept till 8 am.

After showering and dressing went out to load the car and...

OMG! A whole other place in the sunlight! :o

I'm 100% positive that place is looong gone by now.

Made sure the rest of the trip to get someplace in the daylight to be sure of things and drove through Florida having a great time! B) 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, GARY F said:

I miss those old motels where you just pull up in front of your door.

Probably one of the last good ones was the Best Western where we stayed at National Meet in Springfield MO.

13 hours ago, dei said:

Yes... and no.

Last one I vividly remember was in St Augustine, Florida.

After a long day and coming into the edge of this City my wife and I were tired and drove in late in the night at one of those places to book a room.

Being on the strip so to speak (Old US 1) it was lit up in that late 60's style Xmas lights but looked fine (in the dark). This taller than me guy with glasses on the end of his nose behind the counter looked at us as we came in the door and said in this slow drawl, "Hia, Haw you?"

You know that feeling when you are so tired that anything makes you laugh? Being from the North didn't help either. (Please, No offence meant) 

Got through that and parked in front of our room. As soon as we opened the door you could feel the humidity and smell that somewhat concrete floor musty smell...

This was no Howard Johnson's but after making sure the sheets were clean (and not crawling or worse) we slept till 8 am.

After showering and dressing went out to load the car and...

OMG! A whole other place in the sunlight! :o

I'm 100% positive that place is looong gone by now.

Made sure the rest of the trip to get someplace in the daylight to be sure of things and drove through Florida having a great time! B) 

I think we checked in at the same place, but left after noting the posted room rates were by the hour!

• Haha 4

On 5/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, JZRIV said:

$(KGrHqR,!l!E64oy61-gBO4pw5yp2g~~60_3.JPG

552af3d1e121912c_landing.jpg

1939BuickHighwaySign.jpg

Interesting Butlin Buick 

Billy Butlin had a company in Uk big in 50s for holiday camps in Uk , think  he was English and didn’t know about US  business ,wonder if same guy owned the above , the sign is same font for Butlin 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Took a bit to see what I am seeing!  A lot of modifications went into beating the length laws of those days.  Give the man[ men ] an A+

Ben

Maybe it was a concept thing?  I don't see any license plates on the front of the truck.  And I don't think radio controls had advanced enough for this to be a practical application.  Must admit,  it was probably a helluv a view!

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Maybe it was a concept thing?  I don't see any license plates on the front of the truck.  And I don't think radio controls had advanced enough for this to be a practical application.  Must admit,  it was probably a helluv a view!

A double decker car hauler was driving down a rural two lane one night when his headlights quit working. He crawled up on top and turned on the lights of the front car and proceeded. Within minutes he meets an oncoming car that quickly swerves off the road, down an embankment, flips a couple times and finally comes to rest against an oak tree. He stops his truck, runs down to the wreck to find the drunken driver stumbling out of the car. He asks “Good lord man what happened, why did you run off the the road. The drunk answered “Well, if it wash as wide as it wash tall, I wash gonna get killed anyways”  

• Haha 1