I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

When I went to college my roommate had a '55 Special in baby blue.  The key was broken in the lock and the car had an electrical short which would drain the battery so it was disconnected whenever it was parked.  Anyone who knew these idiosyncrasies, and the fact the starter was activated by the gas pedal, could drive this 15 years old car.  Oddly, people kept running into it, by the end of the four years it took to graduate, the Special acquired a yellow fender and green door and the insurance companies paid more than was originally paid for the car.  Good car, Gary

Edited by cxgvd (see edit history)

The switch is not under the accelerator pedal. The accelerator linkage connects to the mechanism on the carburetor. The electrical switch is on the carburetor near the base.

19 hours ago, Elpad said:

Happy Fathers Day 

A54D4EEA-5DAA-4797-8848-38446E30B76A.jpeg

John Lee Hooker (August 22, 1912 or 1917 – June 21, 2001) was an American blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist. The son of a sharecropper, he rose to prominence performing an electric guitar-style adaptation of Delta blues.  (No relation of mine) Had he seen the Buicks in the thread 'I just don't like the picture of this Buick' , he would have certainly sang the blues.

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I've seen that floor before...in Tacoma

IMG_20171029_094414.jpg.f1a1e5d8ff53007ad87e765a60bf489f.jpg

In this building that Brian Laurence (Centurion) took me too.

IMG_20171029_094524.jpg

Yes, Brian DePouli, the Christmas display photo was indeed at the old Mueller Harkins Buick building on Broadway in Tacoma!

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Elpad said:

I know there is a Buick within the bunch and I believe is a two tone 

F765AE1F-1E9B-47FD-85AE-5FF3D722C729.jpeg

In Lane #1 starting with the Ford  wagon as #1 I think I see one 14 cars back.

In  Lane two starting with the Plymouth 4 dr,  Look at car #11.

In Lane 3 starting with the  51 Chevy I did not see any.

But lane four has one at #8 and 11 starting with the Pontiac.  Figures they would be in the fast lane.

As a bonus it looks like two on the hillside in the background.  Smart!  Very  smart!

:D

44 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

In Lane #1 starting with the Ford  wagon as #1 I think I see one 14 cars back.

In  Lane two starting with the Plymouth 4 dr,  Look at car #11.

In Lane 3 starting with the  51 Chevy I did not see any.

But lane four has one at #8 and 11 starting with the Pontiac.  Figures they would be in the fast lane.

As a bonus it looks like two on the hillside in the background.  Smart!  Very  smart!

:D

#8 doesn't look right - maybe an Olds,

Agree with #11 - '55 or '56?

Thanks for your ID, especially the one(s) on the hill

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

That same picture could be taken today and the list would be Opel, Mitsubishi, and Mazda. Then you would get down to the particular badges.

I hear there are plans to market a new US built car, the Eli Whitney. It is a patriotic spin off of the Ebay Parts Compatibility division.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elpad said:

301AD4A3-01CD-4C14-AE84-B2639D21751F.jpeg

9767316C-5D14-43DD-B352-9F19A4F8D9A3.jpeg

WOW, Great pics, how many of us wish we could stroll through those pits taking it all in. interesting things, top pic looks like 2 Century hardtops and a 2 door Special sedan, and they have license plates "driven to the race"  in the lower pic on the 55 its interesting to note the sweep spear molding is still on the car, i guess this was before safety rules.  Curious if anyone knows what track this was, pretty long straightaway a couple of cars including the 55 have NC hometowns but that just goes with stock car racing anywhere in the country I am sure someone was racing from North Carolina in those days!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, billbuickgs said:

55 Century 2 dr hdtp # 54  with  260 H. P. written on the hood. Wonder it had the Export kit .

Bill

Most specs that I've seen for Buick engines that were export engines developed less hp than their domestic counter parts. 

4 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

WOW, Great pics, how many of us wish we could stroll through those pits taking it all in. interesting things, top pic looks like 2 Century hardtops and a 2 door Special sedan, and they have license plates "driven to the race"  in the lower pic on the 55 its interesting to note the sweep spear molding is still on the car, i guess this was before safety rules.  Curious if anyone knows what track this was, pretty long straightaway a couple of cars including the 55 have NC hometowns but that just goes with stock car racing anywhere in the country I am sure someone was racing from North Carolina in those days!

I should have posted these pictures separately since they are in different venues. The buicks actually racing took place in the “Malecon” water front in Havana, Cuba (look at the ?? flags).Former Cuban president Fulgencio Batista brought stock car racing sanctioned by the International Auto Federation (FIA) since 1955 and later the Grand Prix from 57 to 60 (60 was last race already under Castro) If you recall, famous Argentinian driver, Frangio, was kidnapped from his hotel by Fidel’s revolutionary gangs to discredit Batista.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

On 6/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, Elpad said:

Former Cuban president Fulgencio Batista brought stock car racing sanctioned by the International Auto Federation (FIA) since 1955 and later the Grand Prix from 57 to 60 (60 was last race already under Castro)

If you recall, famous Argentinian driver, Frangio, was kidnapped from his hotel by Fidel’s revolutionary gangs to discredit Batista.

Great info -

but Argentine driver was Juan Manuel Fangio

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/fangio_bio.htm

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Don't know why tourists and travel advertisement call theses "Cuban Cars". To me, they are American made Buicks that most of the shells survived for over 60 years. Don't be surprised if you find them with foreign diesel engines and drive train components just to keep them going as well as the home made convertibles that serve as taxis for foreigners. By the way, Cuba is sporting new european type plates, the old particular plates were orange type colors with province letter designation and the blue tag are state owned vehicles or should  I note vehicles that were once private and taken away from their original owners or families that fled the communist island.

IMG_5303.JPEG

IMG_5311.JPEG

IMG_5312.JPEG

IMG_5314.JPEG

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 2