I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

12 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Like splash pans around the underside of the engines?

I meant more along the lines that people would be so zombie like that they'd drive through 2 1/2 ft of raging river rather than turn around.  At least the Packard guy had a good idea. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I meant more along the lines that people would be so zombie like that they'd drive through 2 1/2 ft of raging river rather than turn around.  At least the Packard guy had a good idea. 

And no problem for the Mack!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elpad said:

And no problem for the Mack!

The V8's look okay, but I'd bet the Falcon, and whatever that is along side the Mack, did not make the entire length under their own power.

I had a 79 Ford Granada a long time ago with a 302 and I took it to the do it yourself car wash for an under hood rinse.  I may have sprayed the top of the engine, but I was mainly rinsing the radiator/ and inner fenders for spring time salt removal.  Naturally it would not start when I tried to leave.  Just a few drops of water got in the distributor housing and it was dead.  Felt awful foolish as I pushed the thing out of the stall by hand.

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Just a few drops of water got in the distributor housing and it was dead. 

I did something similar only at home.

Took a gallon can of Dunk Degreaser, splashed it all over under the hood and after the waiting and scrubbing time, hosed everything down. Trouble was, I had parked on the front lawn at Mom & Dad's (too lazy to uncoil the hose to the driveway). The car wouldn't start and wore the battery down so had to leave it there with the charger on overnight.

Got it fired up the next morning OK but the worst part was about a week later the grass outlined exactly where the engine bay was... it had killed the grass!    KIDS! :o:wacko:

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Wonder if the engineers ever considered this possibility in the development phase?

If I'm reading this correctly, you're wondering why the highway engineers didn't put a couple of drains in the low spot.  Except for the military, I don't think automotive engineers think too much about designing their cars for fording purposes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Do family activities like this still exist?  Wondering if this is what grows strong families.

They do here in NC, but fading as younger generations prefer electronic interaction. I won't comment on building strong families as I grew up without computers and cell phones,  but my family....meh

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)