I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

Racing has always been in the blood of real car guys.   Not Buick, but....

See this for the Ford 1901 "Sweepstakes" car.  https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/199258/

Be sure to click on "detailed description" for the complete story.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Our Buicks said:

Can somebody add some context to this photo............

In the 1979 Daytona 500, Bobby Allison and Cale Yarbrough got into it when one accursed the other of causing a wreck that let Petty win the race.  

I have heard that the NASCAR General Motors cars used the Buick body because the grill was more aerodynamic than the other brands.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

In the 1979 Daytona 500, Bobby Allison and Cale Yarbrough got into it when one accursed the other of causing a wreck that let Petty win the race.  

I have heard that the NASCAR General Motors cars used the Buick body because the grill was more aerodynamic than the other brands.

Actually Donnie and Cale are the ones who wrecked and Bobby pulled up to give Donnie a ride back and that when this scuffle broke out

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Racing has always been in the blood of real car guys.   Not Buick, but....

See this for the Ford 1901 "Sweepstakes" car.  https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/199258/

Be sure to click on "detailed description" for the complete story.

So was Bobby running Chevy engines in the Buick's ?

4 minutes ago, 91vert said:

So was Bobby running Chevy engines in the Buick's ?

Now I am not a NASCAR expert, but I believe that in the 80's almost everyone ran small block Chevy engines, or at least 350 ci displacement engines before being toyed with by the teams. 

I was living in Alabama at the time and attended the race where Bobby Allison took flight to the safety fence along with the implementation of the restrictor plates in those years.  Fun times!!

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The guy on the ground looks like Bobby Alison from the camera angle.

Actually, it may be the mechanic who tried to reuse felt front wheel bearing seals on Mr. Westley's Buick. Westley was inspired to greatness due to the incident.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

As much as I love the pre war cars in stock form, I've always been a big customs guy! From some pictures from the Chicago world of Wheels, chopped and nailhead powered, although im a little indifferent on what they did with the grille

1.thumb.png.799833aecab0e9609195c51e1a00d2ac.png2.thumb.png.00e7af3bc9e8fb87ffcb22959159efe1.png3.thumb.png.3db61819658bc04d7b78ff03e903f173.png

• Like 2