Yard Art Displays

I’ve seen a few posts about cars for sale that are so rough they should be yard art. I looked for a yard art thread and saw none. So, I thought I’d start one inspired by my father in-laws little display. 
Please share yours or one you found interesting. 

IMG_0953.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

IMG_0955.jpeg

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 10

That old Chevy was a wrecker my father in-laws neighbor and friend of his father built in the late forties. 
He used it to recover cars until 1972 and the father in-law likes seeing out on the edge of what’s really a field. We mow 7 acres finished. Reminds him of days as a kid. 

• Like 3

I have enough problems now with the county, explaining what they think is "yard art" is really the car I drive to work every day.

I can just imagine if there were an HOA around here!

Edited by 7th Son (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’ve seen a few posts about cars for sale that are so rough they should be yard art. I looked for a yard art thread and saw none. So, I thought I’d start one inspired by my father in-laws little display. 
Please share yours or one you found interesting. 

There already exists a forum section for this type of vehicle:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/218-old-auto-remains/

Lots of "art".

• Like 1

I am not sure where I saw it, maybe on the ford barn years ago, but there was a 1930sh dump truck a guy had set up in his yard. The bed was up and it was strategically placed around a rock pile with some clever planting. The whole thing was turned into a water fountain with the water running down the bed. That was one of the coolest ones I have seen.

I have an old jeep I was going to put in the front yard as a Christmas decoration, even had the wife talked into it. Just never got around to it. I am still thinking of something to do with it and the fountain and rocks idea keeps popping back into my mind.

53798664127_734514ab5f_c.jpg20231024_181205 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53799602136_0460b38d42_c.jpg20231023_195221 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53798664262_a543733089_c.jpg20231024_145443 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

These are a few I saw in Nashville last autumn.

• Like 4

I took this twenty years ago when my daughter was going to college up in the north country. It was a one of the Mace Motors locations.

It has been Photoshopped to a watercolor. There always seemed to be a hint of Norman Rockwell in the scene. Like the young girl in the field.

40chevcpebrush.jpg.22e6b2faa755ff335b186c6b4ee1129c.jpg

• Like 3

This photo was taken on the campus of the University of Tennessee. I like the sign on the gas pump" Contains Lead" The truck definitely shows signs of containing lead.

IMG_2775.JPG.2931b73b27f482b253b9a0f2d7698677.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Bamford said:

Visalia, California...

G96 Ford Woody yard art copy.jpeg

I would do something like that. I haven't rejected ALL the things those old tricksters who influenced my youth would do. But most.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The truck in my profile pic is a ‘30 Diamond T that was on my property when I bought it. I guess its more backyard art and keeps company with a ‘51 Chevy pickup dragged there at some point. I always assumed the farmer that owned the property just left them there when they stopped running. Then I met a guy who worked on the farm in the 60’s who said they weren’t there when he was.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pkhammer said:

@TAKerry can I ask where those photos were taken?

We were staying directly across from Opryland. The first pic was in the big mall right by opryland. It was an outdoorsy kinda store. The second is at a restaurant called 

Caney Fork Fish House. Also across the street from Opryland. Dinner was ok, but I doubt I would go back, LOL. The third was again right in the same area in front of a liquor store I think?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Maui Golf, Ocean City MD.  Been watching this moulder away for 30 years or so.  

Photo of shark

Very similar to mine, only mine is a wee bit better condition.

• Like 2

I “planted” this ‘50 Studebaker in the yard and anticipated that it would become a landmark.  When I first proposed the idea, my wife was enthusiastic because she saw the humor in it.  The maple tree growing up through it is quite a bit taller now. The skeleton was an addition several years ago on Halloween and just seemed right so we left it to wave at passers by.

We have 8 acres, so the Studebaker is really in a side yard and not right in front of the house.

We have never had a negative comment about it and have heard from strangers that it has been used to give directions as in, “When you see the old car with the tree growing up through it, we’re a half mile farther east”

Tom

0F61CB09-0293-4A42-BF0A-ED4DDED89239.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 37S2de said:

I “planted” this ‘50 Studebaker in the yard and anticipated that it would become a landmark.  When I first proposed the idea, my wife was enthusiastic because she saw the humor in it.  The maple tree growing up through it is quite a bit taller now. The skeleton was an addition several years ago on Halloween and just seemed right so we left it to wave at passers by.

We have 8 acres, so the Studebaker is really in a side yard and not right in front of the house.

We have never had a negative comment about it and have heard from strangers that it has been used to give directions as in, “When you see the old car with the tree growing up through it, we’re a half mile farther east”

Tom

0F61CB09-0293-4A42-BF0A-ED4DDED89239.jpeg

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Is that MY '50 Champion I sold back in '76?

You cut the hood in half to let the tree grow, how thoughtful of you.😉

You know now the 50s are quite popular, unlike 50 years ago. 👍

8 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

That Jeep looks too good to be yard art.

I think with a bit of effort I could make a runner out of it. I just need to get my current project finished. Big hurdle is getting a title which can be done but my time is running out! I did a bit of research and its actually a fairy rare jeep as far as jeeps go.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Looks like a CJ3a that has been highly modified with that cab. I can't say I've ever seen one done quite like that.

That is a DJ3A Dispatcher. It should have sliding doors. Hard to tell but maybe 4WD which would be rare for a dispatcher or may be converted.

Sort of yard art. When I found this Pegasus, it was bent up into a ball by a Caterpillar tractor. I brought it home, put on two pairs of safety glasses and tried my best to unbend it. This is the final result....

IMG_0869 (1).JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here’s what the ‘50 Champion looked like on the day I had it delivered and placed in the yard.

I actually had to buy and install front end parts (and pull the engine) to get it to yard art display quality status.

Jerry Kurtz donated the “bullet nose”.  He took it off the front of his modern Chevrolet pickup, where he had had it attached for years.

Tom

D90FB491-18A1-443F-ADC5-C5EF959C61A8.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Alex D. said:

That is a DJ3A Dispatcher. It should have sliding doors. Hard to tell but maybe 4WD which would be rare for a dispatcher or may be converted.

Yes, 1959 DJ3A, dispatch. From what I can tell it is a factory 4wd which is indeed an oddity. The sliding doors are long gone. Another oddity is that it has glass in the back canopy and not a panel. From my  research there are very few known to have glass. Same platform that the Surrey was made from. Indeed rare, but unfortunately not valuable. Not to be confused with a mail truck.

• Like 3

The Ford Pickup grille and the Plymouth wagon seem to fit pretty neatly into the yard art discussion.  Not so sure the Packard mailbox holder belongs here, but it might rate an honorable mention.

53 Ford grille & radiator shelle yard art.jpg

55 Plymouth wagon yard art.jpg

48 Packard mailbox holder.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

About 35 years ago our car club got a "yard art"  Model A donated to the County Historical Park.   We carefully took

the front cross member out of the Model A chassis and placed around a small tree with the tree growing next to

the engine.   With the crossmember replaced, it looked perfect.   It was so attractive that Risk Management had a

fence installed around it to keep the kids off the car.

30 years passed before a volunteer took it upon himself to cut the tree down.   @#@$%*Y!    Obviously not a a Art lover.