1934 Packard Twelve 1107 Club Sedan on BaT Again!

Matt, haven’t you ever seen an antitheft device?  This one works so well, nobody wants to steal the car at any price.!

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

You know I was thinking, I could join the Shriners in their clown unit and buy this car for parades……… hell;  I could even have half of my friends here ride with me in the car without putting on make up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Do you suppose who ever bought it last June got tired of the comments every time he showed it? I certainly would. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Either Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder picked the colors…………….

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

You know I was thinking, I could join the Shriners in their clown unit and buy this car for parades……… hell;  I could even have half of my friends here ride with me in the car without putting on make up! 

Ed,

Having half of your friends from here riding with you wouldn't be a "clown fest" it would be a "SCARE FEST" (present company included)

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

Mr. Nethercutt called this car "Orello". One of his favorite cars. He chose the colors from the original 1934 Packard advertisement. 

orello2.jpg

orello.jpg

orello3.jpg

Yes but straight yellow no matter how fluorescent has only one tenth of the clown value of the dark orange / light orange two tone color selection.  I actually like yellow cars.  It wouldn’t be my choice for my own car but it’s nothing like the orange two tone car.  I’m betting there were very few Packards actually painted yellow from the factory regardless of the brochure.  On the other hand Mr Cord is said to have greatly stimulated ACD sales by pumping out brighter colors; I’m not sure if that just meant colors other than black, gray, navy blue and dark green or actually some eye-popping fluorescent colors for the era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

Ed, you could have ALL your friends in the front seat with you!

With room left over!

• Haha 3

I like the interior!  Maybe by painting the light orange areas a very dark orange/red would tone down the entire car…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Do you suppose who ever bought it last June got tired of the comments every time he showed it?

Naw, he just found something he liked better.  ;)

Oscar Mayer's Wienermobile: Photos of Its Evolution as America's ...

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

34 Packard 12 is the nads.  You need to paint the yellow black along with the wheels and throw the whitewalls and pilot rays in the trash.

I was just looking at this car when you posted this. All the comments are focused on the paint scheme, and rightly so. It does the car a disservice because with the right color scheme, almost no closed car can stand up next to this one for sheer elegance and beauty. This was about as good as it got in a closed classic and I have to believe there is at least one person who has a big bucket of money for a paint job and factors that cost into their offer and grabs this thing.   

The only question my mind is what number does the seller think they need now to move the car. Painting that car in a manner it deserves could be a six figure check, but I don’t think a pristine concours paint job on that frame can be bought for under 200. 

i’m aware that this is not an Apples to Apples comparison but perhaps the buyer could use this as their guide as they change the color.  The Dietrich examples are in another world, but I think this color scheme is what the car is begging for.

IMG_9405.jpeg.c265d4c33e4b3744eff20a44fd08b2bd.jpeg

• Like 7

Person buys the car for $122K, then finds out it will cost approximately $100K to repaint it. 

Back to BringATrailer.

If you buy the car, be prepared to live with the colors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Mr. Nethercutt called this car "Orello". One of his favorite cars. He chose the colors from the original 1934 Packard advertisement. 

orello2.jpg

orello.jpg

orello3.jpg

Close but they didn't get the yellow the right shade.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

34 Packard 12 is the nads.  You need to paint the yellow black along with the wheels and throw the whitewalls and pilot rays in the trash.

Yes, it helps considerably. But now instead of a circus car, you have a halloween car. And after all that effort, one should just as well go the full respray,

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 11.20.01 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 11.20.01 AM.png

• Like 5

Would a repaint add enough value (or close to it) to justify the job?

This car sold for $122,000 last time and I expect something below that this time. Could you paint it and have a $225,000 car? A '34 Packard 12 club sedan is probably the top of the food chain for closed non-custom cars. I might argue yes.

• Thanks 1

In addition to the wheels, I think the top of the hood should be black, too.

Interesting how much darker the orange appears with the black fenders and top. I did not adjust the orange color at all, yet it appears darker.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

In addition to the wheels, I think the top of the hood should be black, too.

Interesting how much darker the orange appears with the black fenders and top. I did not adjust the orange color at all, yet it appears darker.

Great example of "relative color". Your perception is influenced by adjacent colors.  

It's hard to overcome that Orange! 

This is one of my favorite Packards and I think rather than black and going all Halloween on this '34 club sedan, a dark mossy green would work much better.

image.jpeg.1bebc0c5ec68cef19d5b89a0ed3ff3dd.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

This car sold for $122,000 last time and I expect something below that this time. Could you paint it and have a $225,000 car? A '34 Packard 12 club sedan is probably the top of the food chain for closed non-custom cars. I might argue yes.

Matt, that was the point I was trying to make showing that beautiful Dietrich sedan.

I think a sorted, with nice interior and a brand new hundred thousand dollar paint job on a 34 Packard 12 club sedan could certainly pull a 225 sale. Maybe even more. They’re just isn’t much that looks nicer than that in a closed car. There are some half million dollar open classics that would still shrink when that car came to park next to it with a brand new tasteful paint job. Pricey, but I think for the right buyer that wants a 34 Packard 12 club sedan, repainting it, even at 100 grand might be a reasonable option. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm not sure.  I think with good colors it is a 150-175K car.   Maybe a bit more.   Hence, my suggestions to just fix the worst color.

• Like 1

I'd put some blackwalls on it, call it a day, and enjoy it.    Really, on the offensive color scale, this on isn't even in the top 20 for me.    Have seen so many more objectionable paint choices.  

• Like 1

If you want to minimize re-paint...   I think you can tone down the car (from clown to bright - lol) by reducing the amount of yellow (or light orange)...   My photoshop skills are not great, but you get the idea...

PackardPaintMod1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, classiclines said:

If you want to minimize re-paint...   I think you can tone down the car (from clown to bright - lol) by reducing the amount of yellow (or light orange)...   My photoshop skills are not great, but you get the idea...

PackardPaintMod1.jpg

This is basically what I was thinking although using black instead of the existing color.    This car is orange (I believe it is a factory color) and didn't look horrific.

SpeedsterDrive.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I dont think it looks completely horrible. But all of the opinions listed above would have me second guessing my self? All black, yes that would be the cats meow.

I agree.  Doesn't offend me and i quite like it.  I would not have chosen these colors had I commissioned the restoration but I do not dislike them.

• Like 1

Where is Earl Scheib when you need him.

“I’m Earl Scheib, and I’ll paint any car, any color for $29.95. No ups, no extras,” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/27/2024 at 12:17 PM, edinmass said:

Either Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder picked the colors…………….

No! It was Jose Feliciano

• Haha 2