No Title Antique Vehicle

Tbone8728

I live in Michigan and have an older vehicle on my property, originally from my grandfather from California. Long story short, I've been to Secretary of State (MI DMV), and they cannot find its registry or anything else on the vehicle (i.e. no title). I've only been able to locate the VIN number. I have limited funding but am wanting to get this vehicle in my name. How would I go about this? 

Every state has different rules.   You need to find the Michigan rules but they are probably something like this:

1.  You need to prove ownership.   This is probably some form of sworn affidavit.

2. You need to establish the car was never titled.   Another affidavit.

3.  Then you apply for title with what you got from #1 and #2.

What sort of vehicle are we talking about?

• Like 1

Maybe write a bill of sale from me in Canada ......that you bought it 45 years ago off me .....and DMV .....will say they want a title ......and then I go get you one in 10 minutes here  for $15 .....and send it to you ?.......and it would be before tax and duty importation days 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed a lot of sellers stating sold on bill of sale. Car is no longer in the DMV system. Like because the title is old, it no longer matters. So just go there with this bill of sale, and you will be fine. I have bought cars with out titles, did some investigating before purchase. Every State does have a process to acquire a title. Dealers have a   Path to acquire one. So do private parties. You do have to establish known ownership history. Vin and title search, and other steps your State might require. You maybe issued a State ID tag, and the factory tag removed by an agent of the State. Or a branded title. You can also find yourself in the middle of a daisy chain of past owners who did not have legal right to own or sell the car. Best thing to do is call a small town DMV that is in your State. You will talk to a person who most likely does not have a million things to do. And can spend a few minutes answering your questions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have noticed a lot of sellers stating sold on bill of sale. Car is no longer in the DMV system. Like because the title is old, it no longer matters. So just go there with this bill of sale, and you will be fine. I have bought cars with out titles, did some investigating before purchase. Every State does have a process to acquire a title. Dealers have a   Path to acquire one. So do private parties. You do have to establish known ownership history. Vin and title search, and other steps your State might require. You maybe issued a State ID tag, and the factory tag removed by an agent of the State. Or a branded title. You can also find yourself in the middle of a daisy chain of past owners who did not have legal right to own or sell the car. Best thing to do is call a small town DMV that is in your State. You will talk to a person who most likely does not have a million things to do. And can spend a few minutes answering your questions.

You are correct.  But the path in one state may be a straight line while the path in another travels through hell.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

In my state (NC), there is a "Lost Title" procedure clearly spelled out in the state laws.  Easy to follow, though may cost several hundred dollars for a surety bond.  Check out Michigan Legislature - Compiled Laws 257.217.

• Like 3

Definitely go to a small town DMV.  

I have gotten registrations for pre-title vehicles in NY.   I’ve also probably gotten lucky. 

I was able to register my 1935 Dodge pickup with a rubbing of the block number. I also had a registration from the 40’s from when it was last on the road.    Since then I found the actual VIN and should register it again with that. 

I also registered several 60’s motorcycles by filling out a “lost registration” form. I made up a name and state (NOT my state) for a fictitious previous owner and that worked.   Both of those motorcycles had been off the road for decades. Another time, the DMV person asked how long I have had the motorcycle.  I said two years.  She the said “then it is obviously yours!”

I’m not really recommending anyone do what I did. 

Jim

• Like 2

At the DMV they stand behind their windows making side bets for lunch on which people come in looking for a tax exemption, usually the gift form. I don't even work there and I can pick them out standing in line. Watch the hand motions when you walk up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No local DMV offices in PA.  The registration stuff is AAA or other private business who work with PA DMV.  You pay fees to them in addition to whatever fees PADMV charges.  That’s why the state you are in matters on how things like this get resolved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

That’s why the state you are in matters on how things like this get resolved.

I always marvel at these title threads, full of people telling you how easy it is. Up here in WA, the only difference a title makes when a car changes hands is who pays who. :ph34r:

@Tbone8728, hope you can get this resolved without too much headache. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

There are 50 different answers to this question, depending on ...

And yet, how many here attempt to offer their "opinion" (and I thought most would know about those) every time identical inquiry by another newby pops up ?

Not to mention, those willingly providing advice to an unknown newby who could just as well just be fishing for information about which state would be easiest to obtain a title in for perhaps a stolen vehicle ?

And some wonder why so many people get scammed all the time, especially online ...

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

And yet, how many here attempt to offer their "opinion" (and I thought most would know about those) every time identical inquiry by another newby pops up ?

Not to mention, those willingly providing advice to an unknown newby who could just as well just be fishing for information about which state would be easiest to obtain a title in for perhaps a stolen vehicle ?

And some wonder why so many people get scammed all the time, especially online ...

To my knowledge, every State requires you to be a resident. And have a Vin inspection done by an agent of the State. There are loop holes people use, titles held in other states by using a P.O. Box. And your title is held by some entity that also has land holdings in a tropical destination. And in a few years you can see the CEO of that Corporation on an episode of American Greed. Then you will learn that he sold your car to fund a lavish life style. And some how, he did it all by himself.🤔

I'm in Michigan, and I work with clients dealing with this routinely. You will wind up having your local county sheriff deputy come and examine the vehicle. Call them and get an appointment. They will run the VIN and see if anything comes back as previously stolen. There is a VIN inspection form they will fill out for you to take back to the SOS. In addition to this, the state will require an appraisal. If the vehicle appraises for less than $2500, you can avoid getting a bonded title, anything over $2500 and you'll need a bonded title, obtaining a bond from a bonding company in order for them to issue your title. Red tape for sure, but not impossible. Let me know if I can be of assistance, I handle lost title appraisal work in MI routinely, but you'll need the sheriff out first. Good luck. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tbone8728 said:

I live in Michigan and have an older vehicle on my property, originally from my grandfather from California. 

How exactly did you determine

the vehicle is a 1955 Chevy ?    

Have you tried the deciphering

the vin number on a 1955 Chevy truck forum ?

What condition is it in ?

Before you start down the road

of trying to gather paperwork

you need to positively

identify what is that

you have and what

the actual condition is.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are 50 different answers to this question, depending on which state you are standing in.

I can guarantee you if you were standing in my state, you wouldn’t be thinking it was going to be easy.

True except the second sentence holds true in my state.

I was looking for car parts, met the guy for the first time. He starts telling me about a friend of a friend and several states being involved how he can get a title for anything. Not sure that would be a conversation I would have with someone I just met?  NO I did not use his service, LOL.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Tbone8728 said:

I live in Michigan and have an older vehicle on my property, originally from my grandfather from California. Long story short, I've been to Secretary of State (MI DMV), and they cannot find its registry or anything else on the vehicle (i.e. no title). I've only been able to locate the VIN number. I have limited funding but am wanting to get this vehicle in my name. How would I go about this? 

Hey Tbone8728,

I live in Michigan. I have titled several cars here in Michigan which I bought without title. For those cars, once I paid the sales tax, the Secretary of State merely issued a title.
   It’s relatively easier than most of these posts above indicate, IF you have proof that you actually own the car and IF you have the VIN. I’ve titled several cars with just a handwritten bill-of-sale. I assume that if you have a note or letter saying that you’ve acquired ownership of that car (or estate) you have requisite proof.

Then all you do is apply for a lost title at the Michigan SOS.

Michigan adopted the national title registry in 2017, so the Michigan SOS will run the VIN to see if your car was ever junked or rebuilt or salvaged. If it was, the car will need to be inspected, which is troublesome and pricey. But If not, they will issue a title.

Good Luck. 
    Ron Hausmann P.E.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, Bloo said:

I always marvel at these title threads, full of people telling you how easy it is. Up here in WA, the only difference a title makes when a car changes hands is who pays who. :ph34r:

@Tbone8728, hope you can get this resolved without too much headache. Welcome to the forum!

that is the problem, the difference maker the "tittle" is missing, after it has changed hands and no new title was issued to the new owner. combine that with years of not being in the system. I don't see how this will be a simple task in any state.  

• Like 1

If an estate was involved it might not be too easy without proper paperwork. I purchased a car a few months ago from the estate of my first cousin. It had a clear title in his and his wife's name. It had a current tag and registration as well. His daughter, the executor of the estate, went to the County Court Clerk's office with me to get the car registered and titled in my name. Even with a clear title and current registration, not only did they require a death certificate for my cousin, but they also required a death certificate for his wife who died in 2008. I was lucky that she had access to both at home so all we had to go back the next day to complete the process. Usually the State of Tenn. is easy going on this kind of stuff but not in my case. Maybe the person we dealt with was having a bad day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If an estate was involved it might not be too easy without proper paperwork. I purchased a car a few months ago from the estate of my first cousin. It had a clear title in his and his wife's name. It had a current tag and registration as well. His daughter, the executor of the estate, went to the County Court Clerk's office with me to get the car registered and titled in my name. Even with a clear title and current registration, not only did they require a death certificate for my cousin, but they also required a death certificate for his wife who died in 2008. I was lucky that she had access to both at home so all we had to go back the next day to complete the process. Usually the State of Tenn. is easy going on this kind of stuff but not in my case. Maybe the person we dealt with was having a bad day.

Death certificate is normal here, as is documentation of the appointment of the Personal Rep of the deceased.  That was my experience in buying a car from an estate in MD.  No problem with the right paperwork and clear title in the deceased's name.  

• Like 1

Buying cars out of estates can be quite challenging, especially if you are doing so across state lines. 

I bought a car out of a relative's estate. As part of the paperwork requirements, my state (Texas) requires either the original or a certified copy of the Letter of Appointment (as in the person making the sale being appointed the executor of the estate). The car (and estate of the deceased) was in Iowa. Texas refused to accept the Letter of Appointment that I provided and insisted it was not certified although it had the clerk's seal at the bottom and the file stamp across the top in blue. It was not a crappy photocopy or printed out of my home computer - it came out of the clerk's office in Iowa. All documents in Iowa are now e-filed, so that was all that was available to the estate (and thus to me as the buyer) and was, therefore, as original and official as it gets. No matter, Texas wouldn't accept it. Period. I told the Texas folks that they could call the clerk's office and get that same explanation for themselves, but they refused to do so. All I could do was go back to the executor and tell her that Texas would not accept the documentation that the State of Iowa had provided and there wasn't anything I could do. 

Fortunately for me, the executor of the estate is a paralegal at a law firm in Iowa and was able to speak with the probate clerk in Iowa. The clerk explained to her that they were no longer allowed to certify documents since e-filing, but sometimes would do it anyway because they know it's the only thing that some places will accept. The clerk agreed to do one for the executor on the condition that it be picked up in person and then mailed to me. 

Texas absolutely, positively, 100% wouldn't title it with the only paperwork available from Iowa - and that's all that anybody can get without having a special connection that can call in a favor. 

I had all of my ducks in a row and yet my state called out ONE PIECE of the paperwork as having deal-breaker level issues, which was something that I could have done absolutely nothing about without having a cooperative executor and sympathetic clerk that was willing to skirt the policies. I can't image dealing with an executor that didn't want to be bothered by my paperwork woes or a probate clerk that stuck to the rules - I probably wouldn't own the car today if that were the case. 

Edited by Scooter Guy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Oregon sent me back to the widow for a death certificate and a notarized statement of inheritance. She is in Washington, and I am in Oregon.

What a hassle, the widow wasn't happy at first but saw that I was doing some work on the car. Now she wants a ride.

• Like 1