Really old trucks

1912 Caddy

Am I missing something? I have looked over this forum from top to bottom and I dont find any groups with intrest in old trucks (mostly before 1930).

I am restoring  a 1919 Mack model AB with solid rubber tires. I would like to have discussons with like minded guys and read past posts on these vehicles.

Again (from another thread), this is a bad week to be expecting answers. Too many of our best and brightest members are off visiting families or making preparations for Thanksgiving and the traditional go crazy shopping days after.

There are quite a few regular members here that have restored antique trucks in the past, or are restoring them now. One fellow just began restoring a 1929/'30 Fargo truck! He is quite exited about it! 

A few regulars on here have faithfully restored World War One era trucks. One a Maxwell, another a Kissel.

A couple of very good friends of mine many years ago had (1925 about?) Mack Bulldog trucks. One of them I occasionally mention stories about when he had it. It was a three axle with the rare (for the time) pneumatic tires option (that good friend sadly passed away a few years ago).  The other friend's Mack was a longer chassis but only two axle, and had an incredible wooden rigging on it for well digging! He is still around, and living in the Pacific Northwest. I understand he still has that truck.

• Like 3

1912 Caddy,

Antique truck conversations fit in well here. Especially pre-1930 trucks. The fact however is that there are far far fewer antique trucks that exist from this period than cars. Hence there are fewer discussions. 
     I have interest in such antique trucks, mainly Kissels. They are as rare as hens teeth. But they exist. Here are pictures of my 1917 Kissel US Army Light Delivery Truck, and a Kissel 1918 Flyer and 1922 Freighter which their owners refused to sell me. (They preferred to have the sit outside and rust - a shame).

Ron Hausmann P. E.

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_4699.jpeg

IMG_6310.jpeg

Kissel Trucj Wyoming 3.jpeg

Kissel Truck Wyoming 4.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

kissel269613910_1219437275509205_8554853444264059819_n.jpeg

kissel 269407478_1219437392175860_5091171057294709781_n.jpeg

Edited by ron hausmann (see edit history)
  • Like 9

My 1925 White. Look here for the story. One has to remember that when these old trucks were new they were bought to transport goods at a profit. Most were run hard, put away wet, and used up for every nickel the transport companies could get out of them. Same as today.

• Like 4

I once had a 1923 Auto Car that was driven into the junk yard in about the early 50's.

One of the workers there fell in love with it so he hand cranked it every time he walked by it.

In the mid 70's, i fell in love with it and got it in trade for painting a C cab Mack for the owner of the yard.

I reproduced all the wood and made all new sheet metal panels, Then someone offered me 4500 when I really needed it. It ended up in California.

One of the reason's that I sold it was, upon speaking with a Auto Car owner, he told me that they were a bear to drive and he had to trailer it every where he went.

Edited by R Walling
$ amt. changed (see edit history)

I knew a man who owned a 1926 Chevrolet that he had restored when he was young (he was in his early 80’s when I knew him about 10 years ago).  He had it on display in the Hartford. Wi. Auto museum.  He said it was a difficult vehicle to drive and with a comfortable driving speed for the truck of about 25-30 mph made its use limited. I did see it once. Beautiful truck.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Some really nice postings here by several of our regular members!

And if 1912 Caddy wants to see some really big early truck stuff? Maybe we need to get Terry Harper to post pictures of some of what he plays with? (Hopefully, he is too busy with family this week?)

For whatever it is worth, I restored and drove on tours for a few years a Ford model TT truck a long time ago. There are a lot of good people on this forum that like to play with the big old stuff!

• Like 2

I have a big soft spot for early trucks. Fascinating history and wonderful engineering and technology!

Here are two of the beasts (officially "Auto Type Tractor-Trucks") that I have the privilege to care for:

IMG_0474.jpg.0e738e0c02c42462cc36b557f5d1ac59.jpg

IMG_0631.JPG.593ababf542f8857318d20279c543469.JPG

..... And making a little noise Thanksgiving morning:

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You can't complain that you don't see what you like/ collect here unless you make the initiative to "get the ball rolling" and spend the time to post stuff that you have ( real current trucks and period information and photographs) to get others enthused and then they will do the same!

I am a total enthusiast of period images/photographs. information etc. Have written about it, shared it etc. for decades .

Several years ago I wondered if anyone else liked old period photographs - they tell so much of not only the vehicle but that era.  I posted a few photographs and hoped that others may as well. Asked 2 or 3 friends to do so too . I thought that topic/thread would last about 4 months then fade due to lack of interest. I was wrong..................... it seems quite a few people (many now have become friends) also share the strong interest in the "period" material - look at the vehicles, buildings, street signs, clothes, signs etc  It presents a broader picture of that era , a better appreciation and understanding.

Even here you are seeing results - more so because people are making and taking the time to share what they know or have.

WG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Meant to add and mention : you do know that the Mack Truck archives of glass plate negatives exist in Allentown, Pa. or did? Perhaps inquire there for information ( please be patient)  those archives were to be destroyed when Mack moved from Brooklyn , NY in the early 1950s to Pa. as they didn't at the time feel history was necessary nor important and the archives were saved/rescued from oblivion by Henry Austin Clark Jr. and brought to his home in Glen Cove, NY ( 47 steel 4 drawer filing cabinets full - all glass plate negatives . )Do you have any idea how heavy those filing cases were!  My good friend John B. Montville who wrote the book on Mack truck history years later was instrumental in saving those archives as well.

I love old trucks as well, at one time owned a 1917 VIM 1/2 ton , but now my only old truck is some pieces - a steering wheel for a Pierce Arrow truck, wheel Wrench for a White truck and some sales material.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Meant to add and mention : you do know that the Mack Truck archives of glass plate negatives exist in Allentown, Pa. or did? Perhaps inquire there for information ( please be patient)  those archives were to be destroyed when Mack moved from Brooklyn , NY in the early 1950s to Pa. as they didn't at the time feel history was necessary nor important and the archives were saved/rescued from oblivion by Henry Austin Clark Jr. and brought to his home in Glen Cove, NY ( 47 steel 4 drawer filing cabinets full - all glass plate negatives . )Do you have any idea how heavy those filing cases were!  My good friend John B. Montville who wrote the book on Mack truck history years later was instrumental in saving those archives as well.

I love old trucks as well, at one time owned a 1917 VIM 1/2 ton , but now my only old truck is some pieces - a steering wheel for a Pierce Arrow truck, wheel Wrench for a White truck and some sales material.

Thank you Walt! The more I learn about Henry Austin Clark Jr. the more I wish I could have known him. You are so fortunate to have had him as a mentor and friend and we are thankful for your shared memories and insights of the history and your time spent with him.

• Like 1

Terry

Austin loved old trucks as much as he did old cars perhaps as much as he did the Simplex cars ( that he owned the company of he loved them so much)

If it weren't  for him so many old trucks would not exist, he had the attention, $, and space to go after them and save them. This included two double deck 5th avenue coach buses!!

One he drove from NY City to his museum in Southampton down 2 lane state roads on long island to get it to his property in the early 1950s where it could be stored/saved from being cut up for scrap.

He was so "down to earth" as well; smart  smart man - graduate of Harvard Law school - was a class mate of JFK!! He was one of the nicest most generous people I ever met, ( so was Bill Harrah who I used to spend a week on vacation with every year for decades at a car tour in central NY state and also walk around the Hershey flea market with when there was the Blue field era) I learned so much for Austin just by being in his library and working for him - learned about all the publications, books, catalogs that existed for pre war vehicles ( on both sides of the Atlantic)  which inspired my own collecting of material on coach builders for both cars and trucks.

What I do/contribute and others do is just "playing it forward" , you do the same.

Walt

PS I got my first 100mph ride in a pre 1915 car from Austin and still live to tell about it. That 100 mph ride was not just a guess either we were clocked at that by the state police on a radar gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like early trucks a lot . Two late teens Packard basket cases survived my recent move. { one 2 ton and one 3 ton } Lots of my other pre war stuff did not.

Early trucks are a challenge too high  for 99.5  % of the old vehicle people out there. They are big, the parts are big, tires are very expensive!! Moving them takes much more than a regular pick up and car trailer. Parts back up does not exist. And just what do you do with a 12 M.P.H. machine when it is restored ?

Still , against any grain of common sense I took the time and expense to bring them with me. Some things have no reasonable explanation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I like early trucks a lot . Two late teens Packard basket cases survived my recent move. { one 2 ton and one 3 ton } Lots of my other pre war stuff did not.

Early trucks are a challenge too high  for 99.5  % of the old vehicle people out there. They are big, the parts are big, tires are very expensive!! Moving them takes much more than a regular pick up and car trailer. Parts back up does not exist. And just what do you do with a 12 M.P.H. machine when it is restored ?

Still , against any grain of common sense I took the time and expense to bring them with me. Some things have no reasonable explanation.

The 1922 Kissel freighter in my pictures above has a listed top speed of 17 mph. A real speed demon.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here are my trucks13 International 15 International 16 Commerce 25 Dodge Screenside the one I’m working on now a 29 International Six Speed Special that’s going to be a tow truck & a 31 model A. Oh I forgot the 24 Seagrave & 29 Seagrave fire trucks.                                  Jim

2896.jpeg

2935.jpeg

2024.jpeg

2191.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fargoguy said:

I believe that at least three of Ron Carey's Mack Bulldogs also have sequential serial numbers.

They were part of an early trucking fleet.   

At least one, and maybe the second of the three got restored before his passing.

Craig

I have had lots of fun with this 1924 "cut down" Buick over the years. 

Drove it from Vancouver WA to Seattle for the BCA National . 

Then, on to near the Canadian border for the BCA Prewar After Tour. 

It has been on several local HCCA tours and lots of garage sailing.

Now it is for sale with spare parts and a full set of original tools.  

PM me if interested at $12K.  Canoe is not included, but negotiable.

24 PU Canoe 3.jpg

24 PU w Canoe.jpg

24 Turck Dash.jpg

• Like 4

This is a refreshing chat. Old trucks are truly a big boy toy as they don't tour well but are just fun. We just like them because we do! I have been trying to source parts to assist with the restoration of a 1917 Riker (Locomobile) three ton but have not found much at all that could help to pursue this project so this one will sleep longer. I will post a picture of a virgin 1913 American-LaFrance sold new in the state of Utah and a current picture as it is now after a retrofit in the 1930's.

Al

New:

IMG_20231029_143511114.jpg.d095366dfb41147f0a0d246dac2160db.jpgnow:

IMG_20231129_093750157_HDR.jpg.0a9da17917e0057504478d1b5ad77808.jpg

I have located most of the pieces need to restore this unit back to it's original configuration which will make it much more manageable and easy to enjoy. Currently, I can't even store it inside due to length of the beast.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, 1912 Caddy said:

Who sells and installs solid rubber truck tires? Hopefully in the westen US or Canada.

Overman Cushion tires sells hard rubber tires and can make custom tires for antique trucks.

Update: I think they closed back in February. :(

On another note some collectors are using nylon and some have cast their own.

• Like 1

Al

I agree that old trucks need there own section on the forum. I reached out to Peter Gariepy about starting a forum section but I have not heard  back.

If I dont hear from him soon I will contact him again. If anyone else would like to see a new section please chime in and contact Peter. 

You know the squeeky wheel thing

Mike

• Like 3

On 11/25/2023 at 11:04 PM, Swear57 said:

Here are my trucks13 International 15 International 16 Commerce 25 Dodge Screenside the one I’m working on now a 29 International Six Speed Special that’s going to be a tow truck & a 31 model A. Oh I forgot the 24 Seagrave & 29 Seagrave fire trucks.                                  Jim

2896.jpeg

2935.jpeg

2024.jpeg

2191.jpeg

Is this the same International that is in the current issue of Old Cars?  Beautiful trucks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my big boy toy 1948 Brockway and replaced it with a slightly more road /Garage friendly 1929 A ford Roadster Pickup. Unfortunately winter hit before I could drive it,  so I have no idea how road friendly it is,  but it sure takes up alot less real estate in the garage.

Those straw colored wheels sure need to go.  I'm thinking black would be a good choice.

1555829D-13A0-4808-9895-E52D2B362EF2.jpeg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 11/29/2023 at 10:27 AM, 1912 Caddy said:

Who sells and installs solid rubber truck tires? Hopefully in the westen US or Canada.

Have you seen the retreaded tires on some big hiway trucks that are made by gluing a new tread onto an old carcase? The tread comes already vulcanized and molded with treads. I have thought you could retread a solid rubber tire by gluing on this kind of tread material.