Flea Market

su8pack1

I've been going to Hershey since 1969 and only missed the 2 years Uncle Sam had me. Life Member. Worst flea market I've ever walked. Empty spaces, cars, trailers, campers taking up way too many spaces. Golf carts all over. Some isles only have a few venders, and I feel sorry for them as it's not even worth walking down that isle. You could probably cut down the size of the flea market by half it you just kept it vendors as it used to be in the old days. Just my rant, it's been getting like this for years now, but make it worth walking down an isle again.

Edited by su8pack1
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• su8pack1 changed the title to Flea Market

I hate to be "that guy", but I was really surprised by the large percentage of empty swap meet spaces on Tuesday. We were there all day, and there was a LOT of walking between vendors. We walked in a little after 7 am and left about 5 pm. As a musclecar fan, I'm used to the fact that I find more things that I need at Carlisle than at Hershey, but Tuesday at the swap meet was somewhat disappointing even at that. We covered all of Green and Orange, most of Red, and a small part of Chocolate. My admittedly unscientific survey says that there were maybe 60% of the vendors as compared to prior years.

• Like 2

If you both and others read the comments that I and others put in the “ How is it going at HERSHEY thread “ , 

you will see, we are all with you on that, wholeheartedly….

With 4 beautiful days of weather, why in the world, were there so many empty 

spaces ???

My van and U - Haul are part of my spread, as they are chock full of 100 % automotive 

parts, All  N E W and N.O.S. — and my spread is simply scrumptious… I dare say that it is the most delicious spread in all of HERSHEY !!! ( Joe P. Above knows this… )

Trust me, I wish every batch of spaces were filled like my 3 spaces, but the HERSHEY gang would have to work even harder, to find out whose spaces and why they were empty…. Heck, CARLISLE did just that a few years back, to make sure just the situation that you men address can not happen… It is not fair to the walking patrons…..

Craig ……

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Hey, su8pack1,

We are a “ SWAP MEET “ —- N O T a “ flea market “ ……

Flea Market is for women and fleas…. SWAP MEET is for MEN !!! L O L !!!

Yeah, well I'm a woman who is here all week, as I have been for the past 31 years, selling parts and cars at our stand. I know quite a few women who would disagree with your statement, and all the men I know there call it a FLEA MARKET also. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We stay in the orange field until noon on car show day.  This morning we arrived to judges cars from other fields parked in front of our tent partially blocking the aisle.  Never seen it this bad. No point in trying to sell. We can't see them and they can't see us.  So much for chastising vendors for leaving early.

• Like 2

1932chev,

Glad you are there!!! Love having women and ladies in the car hobby… you sure are way more Special than the women and ladies that knit and watch soap operas all day !!!

I still prefer the term “ SWAP MEET “ to “ Flea Market “ 100 times over !!! LOL !!!

Craig…. (Come visit me next year, I like you ! )

• Like 1

Believe me I'm aware of all the hard work that goes into putting on this event.  Thank you all for your hard work.  Now for the flea market.  Someone should take "inventory" of members pledging spots and not showing up, members using their spots for motorhome parking and selling next to nothing and sometimes selling things not even remotely automotive in nature.  Then a consolidation should be undertaken with only true automotive type vendors allowed to participate who have a track record of showing up.  Yes, the flea market would shrink considerably but what remains would be easier and more rewarding to negotiate for the walking types (like me).  Oh, and the motorized golf carts, scooters and etc.  It is apparent many non-handicap individuals are riding around who do not require motorized assistance.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Spent Tuesday and Wednesday walking the swap meet. According to my friend's Google watch we did 16 miles total and covered about 3/4 of the swap meet. I too wished it could be  condensed somewhat but I also know a lot of the folks going to vend look forward to seeing their neighbors each year. Don't know the answer. Jokingly, sort of, told my wife I will need to start training for the swap meet in July. Will be back next year.

• Like 5

The Hershey swap meet is a riddle wrapped inside an enigma. We had a slow sales week and observed a sharp drop in foot traffic. That’s in the green field near “Hyman Village”. Some folks within easy walking distance reported brisk sales and good foot traffic. Go figure.

Asking the HR to “engineer” the swap field; or police the non-compliant sellers is probably unfair. Their folks are stretched thin keeping up with all the other duties.

This is “our” event and it is what we make of it. We should try our part to follow the rules and, as sellers, bring nice parts other members might want. 
It’s like the weather- after a time complaining does little good. Start planning for 2024 now.

• Like 4

Some of this thread sounds like grumpy old men yelling at the kids " Keep off my grass".

Yes, Hershey is changing, but I saw some posoitive signs---I saw more younger people than previous years-(maybe that is becasue I am older and more people ARE younger than me), or maybe there % of people in the 20s and 30s is increasing.  That is good!.  But it is also a change--those people won;t be as interested in pre 1920 cars, or even pre WW2.  They want to recapture the cars of their youth---just like we all did.

The weather was extraordinary, except for Friday---have we ever complained of a Hersehy being "too hot" before?

As an idea toward towards a solution of too many spaces filled with parked cars and trucks---maybe a line on the application asking how many of the spaces will be used for parking ONLY--and cluster them all together-away from vendor spaces. I don't know if people would honestly answer that, nor do i know if that imposes an extra burden on the volunteer staff who do all that prep work---My THANKS to all the volunteers.

• Like 4

According to my watch I walked 22.4 miles (pulling a wagon) and I'm pretty sure I covered the entire area (other than the corral).  I think 60% full would be a nice estimation, some of the outside areas were 20% full at best.  I found a few items that I haven't been able to find on eBay or anywhere else so I guess it was "worth it".   That said... over 20 hours of driving, 3 nights of inflated hotel rates and 16 hours of walking for a few parts is pushing it a bit.   

I think it is very, very important that we have the campers, tents etc there at the meet but I think it could be arranged such that the party parking is more in one area and the vending is in another.  If the swap meet was condensed I think it would be much better buyers and sellers.   I saw multiple vendors that had campers the size of hotels but *still* managed to have their area packed with valuable parts and not take up too much space.  Other areas could've functioned as an airstrip... ;) 

Mobility scooters for those that need them are great.  Zip bikes, Onewheel skateboards, bicycles, golf carts, ATV etc are not devices for mobility challenged and as such, they have no place in the meet area.  For that matter I had to dodge multiple cars and trucks!  One person almost scraped the entire side of their SUV as they drove too close to my wagon. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure what the answer is for the lack of vendors and the open spaces. I’m guessing that the various Internet forums, vendors and sales sites have contributed to the decrease in on site vendors. That said, I immensely enjoyed perusing items and talking to fellow enthusiasts.  I also enjoyed meeting people in person who I’ve only interacted with on various forums. The proliferation of golf carts, etc is an issue that is particularly thorny. I want people who have a genuine need for a mobility device to have access to our hobby. Maybe the organizers could investigate running a tram car, such as on the Jersey boardwalks in each field to assist folks who need a breather from walking. As always, I was blown away by the quality and variety of the vehicles on the show field. Thank you to the vendors, car show participants and especially the volunteers who made it possible. 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with campers adjacent to one's swap area. From my Carlisle vending experience I can tell you that it's VERY convenient to have the camper at your swap space, especially when the camper has a bathroom. It also allows you to go inside out of the sun while still keeping an eye on your vending items. The Hershey problem was the combination of empty spaces and vendors selling primarily non-automotive items with one or two token auto-related things under the table.

• Like 4

The weather was wonderful for the Flea Market my wife and I helped with the Graham Owners Club booth setup on Monday then walked the flea market with a T-shirt on with the caption Wanted Graham or Graham Paige parts with good response from the vendors . This year with less foot traffic and less vendors I still had great luck finding parts for some of my cars but also jotted down names and numbers of vendors that had parts that I didnt need and will pass on the information to other people within or outside the club that are restoring Graham or Graham Paige automobiles . I too was wondering where are some of the vendors but I also realize that the crowd that have been frequenting the Hershey meet are aging . That said I applaud the group that hosted the meet and job well done I am sure within their means THANK YOU 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, joe_padavano said:

I don't have a problem with campers adjacent to one's swap area. From my Carlisle vending experience I can tell you that it's VERY convenient to have the camper at your swap space, especially when the camper has a bathroom. It also allows you to go inside out of the sun while still keeping an eye on your vending items. The Hershey problem was the combination of empty spaces and vendors selling primarily non-automotive items with one or two token auto-related things under the table.

A guy next to me has 16 spaces that he shares with several guys.  A week before Hershey most of them backed out.  I'm thinking it was the gas prices.  

I didn't see Hemmings, Grundy or Hagerty set up either.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:15 AM, Littlestown Mike said:

As an idea toward towards a solution of too many spaces filled with parked cars and trucks---maybe a line on the application asking how many of the spaces will be used for parking ONLY--and cluster them all together-away from vendor spaces. I don't know if people would honestly answer that, nor do i know if that imposes an extra burden on the volunteer staff who do all that prep work---My THANKS to all the volunteers.

If you think you're going to charge me almost $900 between the tent and my 5 spaces and tell me I have to park my truck and trailer somewhere else other than my space, you're crazy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ex98thdrill said:

If you think you're going to charge me almost $900 between the tent and my 5 spaces and tell me I have to park my truck and trailer somewhere else other than my space, you're crazy.

The problem is not you parking your truck there, it is the people only parking their there. They vend nothing, just use it to park. I skipped this year because last year was the same. Could have easily condensed the flea market. When I vended years ago, not parts for sale, you were out. 

I had a great time at Hershey like I do every year.  20 years ago I complained about everything but I matured and realized that I should enjoy it while it lasts so I'm Mr. Glass Half Full now.

Since I'm not doing the work my opinion is only that of a humble attendee.

1.  Move the swap to Thursday through Saturday.  This allows regular non retired non rich folk to attend on Friday and Saturday.

2.  Move the show to Sunday.  If you move it to Saturday nobody will vend.

3.  Condense the area.   My rough calculation is that about 50% of the space is used for vending. I think it needs to be closer to 75%.

I understand that #1 requires a move of venue which is a very big deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

1.  Move the swap to Thursday through Saturday.  This allows regular non retired non rich folk to attend on Friday and Saturday.

2.  Move the show to Sunday.  If you move it to Saturday nobody will vend.

3.  Condense the area.   My rough calculation is that about 50% of the space is used for vending. I think it needs to be closer to 75%.

1. I agree, I think the move away from the Saturday show, although beyond Hershey Region control, has hurt the attendance during the week.  The Friday show means the vending area is a ghost town.   I heard some talk of moving the meet to a local farm, but wow, what a huge deal that would be, and look at all the facilities which would be "lost".

2. Yes

3. I would like to know how many of the vacant spaces were purchased and people didn't attend, versus not purchased at all.  I wish the Hershey region would share such information, so we could more fully understand what's going on.  I heard a rumor, but a rumor only, that there were so many unsold spaces that the vendors in the Red field and many in the Orange field could be moved to Green and Chocolate fields.  That would help the customers tremendously.  AND, let's say the Red field is "empty", get people who just want to park and buy one space to move there.  This would probably mean one year of scoping out the one space/park people in the other fields and forcibly moving them to the "empty" field, as there might not be volunteers the first year.

• Like 2

I saw more toys than I saw parts for my car. I was able to buy a service manual I could use.

It was obvious to me I just couldn’ t find the section I wanted. I was in the toy, ball cap, and T shirt section most everyday.

There was an innocent appearing lady collecting $20 at the entrance For handicap parking. Can anyone chime in and confirm the lady was working for the park or AACA? Initially I was jealous I had not thought of her creativity.

Turbinator

• Haha 1

In defense, for the first time in over 50 years I had no parts in my space, my dad took me there the first time in 1956. I think I have a pretty good reason,

77 years old, open heart not long ago, was employed to get two pre 15 cars running for the auction, all my parts are pre 15 as well. I spent some time visiting in

the flea market. And no I did not have a devise to ride on, I walked. Put simply I didn't have the energy to load my truck with parts that 99% of the people

posting here and attending would even know what they were. Sorry to sound like a butt hole.

• Like 1

I really do not understand how/why people think riding in a golf cart is a good way to see anything. For years, I have had access to a golf cart so that I can get from one end of the flea market to the other relatively quickly using the alleys and larger avenues (usually official business), but it is a full-time job to watch where you're going when in the main flea market area so you don't hit anyone or anything. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

West, I agree totally with you. What really tick's me off is the golf cart's that ride 6" from the flea market tables and then expect you to get out of their way so they don't have to get off the golf cart to look at the parts on the tables. I saw every type of motorized carts, bicycles and even two motorcycles. The AACA warnings are a joke, they should just tell everyone do as you please if they aren't going to enforce the rule.

The last two times I went the four door dually trucks and 30 foot campers dominated the fields. If there was such a thing as body language with a truck I got a sound impression of territorialism. They were wedged so tight I wondered how the generators got cooling air. Very few parts.

I have walked over from a hotel on Chocolate Ave the back way past the sewage plant. Finding a break in the plastic fence is quite a feat but it is doable. I like the meet and have no problem walking the distances. It is just the truck and camper barriers that have kept me away.

Oh I agree totally West, but the AACA should enforce the rules somehow. I saw two guy's on a golf cart with orange vests on and the guy with the motorcycle went right past them with out them saying anything.

Trust me, the region does care.  It is a major liability for them and national too.  Put yourself in the place of a senior citizen approaching a younger person to ask them to get off their bike or other device.  While I have no issue in doing so many of the volunteers just do not want to get into fights.  It is a tough deal but discussions will take place soon about this issue and many others.

I have stopped folks only to get an apology and then see them up on their bikes after they leave me.  Golf carts are a whole other issue which is much more difficult to control.  This year a new vendor for scooters showed up which did not help things.  He will not be allowed back.  Snuck in.

• Like 4

Many voices have been heard here, I am sure they have been noted by the host region as well as our AACA CEO. They will not be ignored and there is now a year to find a solution , a way to enforce or discourage people from being disrespectful of others. Let the  powers that be have some time to talk it over and find a solution . As Steve mentioned 

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I have stopped folks only to get an apology and then see them up on their bikes after they leave me. 

It is a "me first, my way " world and arrogance and disrespect rules. Very sad indeed. But this is the modern way it seems, I left a car club within the past few years due to disrespect and insolence - belonged for 45+ years and contributed for 30+ years to their publications.  I am at a stage in life where I treat people the way they treat me.

• Like 6

On 10/11/2023 at 2:54 PM, West Peterson said:

but it is a full-time job to watch where you're going when in the main flea market area so you don't hit anyone or anything. 

Yes Sir, you are 100% correct.

The driver of the adult 3 or 4 wheel scooter is responsible for how they operate the scooter. I can hardly walk but I do. I do not ride a scooter. In all cases the scooter should yield to the walker. Safety for all first. We didn't get this far in age by being stupid. Lets not start now.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 9:55 AM, Walt G said:

am at a stage in life where I treat people the way they treat me.

Treat folks to suite yourself. You are old enough to know right from wrong. 
When Im insulted by a disrespectful person I get mad and hopefully stay quiet. Then I give the offender a wide berth. I dont want any trouble. I can’t defend myself like I once did. I can hardly walk muchless run.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Trust me, the region does care.  It is a major liability for them and national too.  Put yourself in the place of a senior citizen approaching a younger person to ask them to get off their bike or other device.  While I have no issue in doing so many of the volunteers just do not want to get into fights.  It is a tough deal but discussions will take place soon about this issue and many others.

I have stopped folks only to get an apology and then see them up on their bikes after they leave me.  Golf carts are a whole other issue which is much more difficult to control.  This year a new vendor for scooters showed up which did not help things.  He will not be allowed back.  Snuck in.

Unfortunately a lot of people fail to understand that the event is run entirely by volunteers, by an organization that is been doing this for almost 70 years.  AACA has been around for 88 years, while Hershey has been taking place for 68 years.  The event is as much as an institution as the club itself.

Ironically my first trip to Hershey was in 1973.  It's hard to believe 50 years.  I was 5 years old the first time my dad brought me down there.  For many many years we walked through many miles of mud searching for parts to restore a car so we could show it at Hershey.  

It took us almost 30 years to be able to do that, but we did.  There are people who have spent their entire lives chasing parts to restore a car that have never got those cars done so they could be shown at Hershey.

My dad is gone, and times have changed, but I'm thankful that the Hershey Region is still willing to do it.  It might not be as good as it once was, but it's still Hershey. 

We joined AACA so that we could show at Hershey.  Every year I register more than one vehicle for Hershey so if something breaks, I still have a backup vehicle that I can bring to Hershey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, 46 woodie said:

Oh I agree totally West, but the AACA should enforce the rules somehow. I saw two guy's on a golf cart with orange vests on and the guy with the motorcycle went right past them with out them saying anything.

Im with you Sir. I dont like a lot of rules, but I stick to them so I can participate. True, its difficult for a volunteer to pull up a mini bike rider and force them to knock it off. At 74 I cant “ roll” like I once did. Ive got enough sense to leave the disrespectful alone. Rental Security cant pull of authority. How about employing off duty local police? Pay gor the security bill by raising the entry fee $5 an entrant to the car show? Heck, food vendors get away with charging $14.00 for italian sausage on a roll. Assess each entrant another $5. to keep restricted adult electric transport off the grounds. The local police know how to handle the rule breakers. If not we will call Clint Eastwood in to straighten the young punks out.

All jokes aside, a pal of mine has a golf cart. Lord lnows how many bicycles I have at home. The bikes and the golf cart stayed home. I see people breaking the rules and I dont say a word for fear of starting something that would spoil our fun. HOWEVER! The rule breakers will keep it up until someone stops them. Lets get the rule breakers stopped.

Bob B

Lutherville MD

• Like 2