Flea Market

su8pack1

17 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Im with you Sir. I dont like a lot of rules, but I stick to them so I can participate. True, its difficult for a volunteer to pull up a mini bike rider and force them to knock it off. At 74 I cant “ roll” like I once did. Ive got enough sense to leave the disrespectful alone. Rental Security cant pull of authority. How about employing off duty local police? Pay gor the security bill by raising the entry fee $5 an entrant to the car show? Heck, food vendors get away with charging $14.00 for italian sausage on a roll. Assess each entrant another $5. to keep restricted adult electric transport off the grounds. The local police know how to handle the rule breakers. If not we will call Clint Eastwood in to straighten the young punks out.

All jokes aside, a pal of mine has a golf cart. Lord lnows how many bicycles I have at home. The bikes and the golf cart stayed home. I see people breaking the rules and I dont say a word for fear of starting something that would spoil our fun. HOWEVER! The rule breakers will keep it up until someone stops them. Lets get the rule breakers stopped.

Bob B

Lutherville MD

I mean no disrespect to Law enforcement but the very last thing needed is Barney Fife handing out tickets. That would be opening Pandoras box.  People just need to be decent people.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Turbinator said:

The rule breakers will keep it up until someone stops them. Lets get the rule breakers stopped.

I totally agree, time to decide on the action to take, how and with enough time now to address the situation. This will be very difficult to handle If you tell people they are wrong, they most likely already know they are but getting caught makes them defensive because that is their attitude. Self centered to all extents. they do not see that what they are doing is "that bad" and thus can be overlooked.

32 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I mean no disrespect to Law enforcement but the very last thing needed is Barney Fife handing out tickets. That would be opening Pandoras box.  People just need to be decent people.

Youll get no argument from me regarding people showing consideration for others. The Barney Fife character fits the rental cop security folks. Hopefully the constabulary have been trained to handle the rule breakers with utmost diplomacy. Im thinking once the rule breaker gets stopped and warned theyll not continue breaking the rule.

my second guess is just give the person on the bike a wide berth. We dont want any trouble.

Your observation has merit.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Trust me, the region does care.  It is a major liability for them and national too.  Put yourself in the place of a senior citizen approaching a younger person to ask them to get off their bike or other device.  While I have no issue in doing so many of the volunteers just do not want to get into fights.  It is a tough deal but discussions will take place soon about this issue and many others.

I have stopped folks only to get an apology and then see them up on their bikes after they leave me.  Golf carts are a whole other issue which is much more difficult to control.  This year a new vendor for scooters showed up which did not help things.  He will not be allowed back.  Snuck in.

I have been on the other end of the volunteers' "reminders" not to take the bike or moped thru the flea market.  They have always done so courteously, but often they made the speech as I was already off the bike or moped and in the process of locking it to the fence or gate.  

I wish all visitors would simply obey the rules. 

The PA anouncements about cars parked in someone else's space might be better if the offending cars were simply destroyed with a public dispaly of the power of C4, or some other military-grade explosive. Of course I jest--but you must admit, it would be quite entertaining AND the problem would go away.

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

that bad" and thus can be overlooked.

Walt, at one time I was a recreational cyclist and TriAthlete. I knew of a gent that walking at one of the bike training areas and was hit by a cyclist. The walker was killed. Unusual, but it is the truth.

My temper is such that I walk away cursing a person who shows no consideration for others safety.

Truly, I dont know the solution, I really do not.

Thank you perspective and I our leaders will figure it out.

Bob B 

2 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

EXACTLY!! Then the "adult" in my mind takes over and I don't do SOME of the things I think would be good to do,....some of them

Dont laugh, but that is one reason I do not own a 1911, or any other. No black jack or knuckle accessories.

• Like 1

Folks near me used a swap meet space to park and did not sell any parts. They just could not walk very far at a time and needed a space to walk for awhile and then rest for awhile. They did not want to ride in a handicap cart and just enjoyed walking as much as they could and then come back and rest. Maybe Hershey could set up a part of the show field such as the area across the creek on the back side of the orange show field for folks like him. Charge them a little less than the cost of a swap meet space to encourage them to park there and it will save them some money and will eliminate some of the spaces just used to parking. I think doing something like this will be a win win for everyone and Hershey Region will have more spaces used to generate more income.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 42cady said:

Folks near me used a swap meet space to park and did not sell any parts. They just could not walk very far at a time and needed a space to walk for awhile and then rest for awhile. They did not want to ride in a handicap cart and just enjoyed walking as much as they could and then come back and rest. Maybe Hershey could set up a part of the show field such as the area across the creek on the back side of the orange show field for folks like him. Charge them a little less than the cost of a swap meet space to encourage them to park there and it will save them some money and will eliminate some of the spaces just used to parking. I think doing something like this will be a win win for everyone and Hershey Region will have more spaces used to generate more income.

If the folks can't walk well or far, a parking space off the beaten path at one end of the swap really doesn't help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 7:58 AM, TAKerry said:

On 10/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, joe_padavano said:

Agreed, but unfortunately that ship sailed a while ago.

... in all walks of society, it seems. The "norm" today is that it's all about "me" ... or "what's in it for me?". In my opinion, and I'm no doctor or psychologist, but the "me" mentality is completely responsible for the epidemic of depression today. If you're depressed and can't figure out why, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEBODY! The saying that "it's more rewarding to give than to receive" has been completely forgotten by today's society. 

Sorry for getting up on a soap box, and kind of derailing the conversation, but I believe the "me" mentality is why people ignore the rules we're discussing.

• Like 6