Interest changes at car shows

Buick35

Time to buy a Mustang.  My Mother ordered one when they were announced to the public back in 1963.  Ford Motor Company sent her a small dash plaque with her name on it because of the long wait time.  White, blue interior and 6 cylinders. She eventually moved on and bought a Tempest.  I'm in the market for one now.

• Like 2

We know what you mean, Mr. Buick, but every

show is different.  When brass-era cars convene

on the streets of a small town, I've seen people

come out in large numbers.

AACA members on the forum may worship

a Duesenberg, or admire a big-money Ferrari;

whereas the average man or woman might just as

much like to see a Ford Pinto, a Chevrolet Citation,

an Olds Cutlass like he used to have!

No one can make general conclusions about the 

hobby from just a few data points.  My thoughts:

enjoy what you have, share your fun with friends and

neighbors, and you'll do your part to help the hobby. 

• Like 14

Every show brings different interests.  Some shows are loaded with hot rods, chrome engines, million dollar paint jobs but the the original 54 DeSoto wins people's choice.  Some shows the 54 DeSoto ignored.  If one person enjoys talking with you about your car it was worth attending. 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Today my '35 Lincoln won this:

2023-08-2613_56_39.jpg.c131df8212b084654d26e3904471b6c0.jpg

At a show full of this:

2023-08-2611_46_10.jpg.7ca5dcfcc98b75b5f044cd8aeda2f2c2.jpg

2023-08-2611_46_26.jpg.4528ea7121c70990b7b4a5a5b1c4dfb1.jpg

That is an award to be proud of 🤩. Personally, I would have gone with the T bucket. 

Seriously, I often meet the nicest people at the little local shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While prewar cars are my main interest, I gotta say the first generation Mustangs have had a following and presence at shows from the mid 70s.  I recall seeing them at shows as early as 76, 77 at least.  

The car in this post is one I recomended in Jake's post on potentially involving a young family friend in a restoration project.  An early Mustang is a car I have always had on my list but never really pursued.

Of course I agree times are changing but that doesn't mean interests change for a lot of us here.

• Like 3

I've got a cruise-in buddy that owns a 64 and a half Mustang convertible with the 260ci V8 and a generator. It was manufactured during the 3rd week of April, 1965.

• Like 1

Went to a show yesterday with my Grandson at Chesapeake City MD, with the 23 Dodge Brothers. Out of about 500 cars maybe 25 pre-war cars (not street rods) in attendance. The Dodge did generate a lot of conversation with people that stopped by and asked questions about the car and were happy to see something that old and not a brand-new Corvette! While we were walking around the show we passed a T-Bucket and the owner was telling a person that it was almost a hundred years old! Even my grandson who is 10 years old had a chuckle on that one. 

• Like 6

I don't think it is unusual at all for someone to gravitate to the cars that were around during their youth.  That seems natural to me and 'widening the aperture' to include earlier cars usually happens later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ch1929 said:

Went to a show yesterday with my Grandson at Chesapeake City MD, with the 23 Dodge Brothers. Out of about 500 cars maybe 25 pre-war cars (not street rods) in attendance. The Dodge did generate a lot of conversation with people that stopped by and asked questions about the car and were happy to see something that old and not a brand-new Corvette! While we were walking around the show we passed a T-Bucket and the owner was telling a person that it was almost a hundred years old! Even my grandson who is 10 years old had a chuckle on that one. 

Im in north Cecil co., I have been to that show about 3 times. It definitely has a good crowd (one of the reasons I dont go). I was thinking about going down because it was a nice day but decided against it. Glad you had people talking about your car.

There is a 'cruise night' in Elkton, I used to go often but havent been there since covid. They do give out trophies, the last time I was there a ford coupe ala American Graffiti won best in show. I know the car pretty well, its a fibreglass body. When they painted, they did not even sand out the seams from the mold. Its pretty bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch1929 said:

It's a good show. Many different cars to see. My 54 Buick got picked on year.  Was not expecting it at all. 

3 hours ago, dship said:

I've got a cruise-in buddy that owns a 64 and a half Mustang convertible with the 260ci V8 and a generator. It was manufactured during the 3rd week of April, 1965.

Yes, that’s a really early Mustang!

I always get a kick out of “64-1/2”, as there’s no such animal.  It’s titled a 1965, and it’s a very early 1965 Mustang.  No state ever titled a car with a half year.

Still good bragging rights.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I went to our local town car show last week, saw very early mustang convertible w/260 v8. Stopped and talked with owner who seemed happy that I appreciated his original car. So when you see something you like make sure to tell the owner. You may make their day! 😎

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, LARRYCAROL said:

So when you see something you like make sure to tell the owner. You may make their day! 😎

Larry

I have been preaching to people to say "thank you" for decades. Nearly everyone knows who and where to complain to but never ever take the time to say thank you to those who are just doing their job, or have something that is really nice that they are proud of. That is just very sad to see as the current way of life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

To Walt G,

The owner of this 1932 Cadillac V12 is also from 1932.

A few years ago the car did had a fuel pump problem.

To keep a long story short, i did the repair on this very nice Cadillac.

The smile on his face was telling me everything.

71f2d8c4-e3b0-48b2-9143-778c841b1f80.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

While prewar cars are my main interest, I gotta say the first generation Mustangs have had a following and presence at shows from the mid 70s.  I recall seeing them at shows as early as 76, 77 at least.  

The car in this post is one I recomended in Jake's post on potentially involving a young family friend in a restoration project.  An early Mustang is a car I have always had on my list but never really pursued.

Of course I agree times are changing but that doesn't mean interests change for a lot of us here.

Same view here. I've also always been an early Mustang fan; they're very attractive cars.  I had a friend in high school (late 80s) who had one, red 66 with a 289, that I lusted over.  And as @Steve_Mack_CT says, they had a long-established following even by then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I always get a kick out of “64-1/2”, as there’s no such animal.  It’s titled a 1965, and it’s a very early 1965 Mustang.  No state ever titled a car with a half year.

Here's one For Sale with all the paperwork at Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown Pa.

64 Mustang.jpg

64 must.jpg

• Like 1

Moments of kindness are often remembered when the possible doom and gloom of everyday life can get to be overwhelming no matter how hard one tries to cope with it. We will think of a few words, gestures, smiles, or unsolicited 'random acts kindness' and that is what we hope we see more of and others can as well.  Smiles come naturally and usually without thought but reflect our whole being the way things should be.

It is why some of us collect objects, cars etc. even if they need endless amounts of time to return them to the condition when they were new. Just a glance at them reassures us that despite all the age and time that is past, that one thing is still here and still sends a great message when we view it. You can't put a price on that......................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I took my 1907 1-lung Cadillac to a cars&coffee today.  The oldest car there by at least half a century.  One fellow asked lots of questions, so I took him for a ride.  He said:  "Now I know why you drive this - it's FUN!"  When we got back, another attendee, who had brought a neighbor in his Corvette, asked if I'd take the neighbor for a ride, and he had a blast, too.  On my ride home, somebody followed me about the last 5 miles to my driveway, and approached me as I was going into the house.  I showed him the car, and then my other cars, and then took him for a ride.  Made his whole week.  It's all good!

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Made his whole week.  It's all good!

this is what life is about. why I like old cars, "they are best when viewed in motion" making people smile of all ages and gender.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

Here's one For Sale with all the paperwork at Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown Pa.

64 Mustang.jpg

64 must.jpg

Great dealer paperwork, but what does the title state?  That’s the question…..

They admit in the Mall writeup about the car there’s no such thing as a 1964 Mustang.

Note that the VIN shows it as a 1965 also….

D508899F-0EB4-470B-88ED-2DB9F84ECEEE.png

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Great dealer paperwork, but what does the title state?  That’s the question…..

They admit in the Mall writeup about the car there’s no such thing as a 1964 Mustang.

Note that the VIN shows it as a 1965 also….

D508899F-0EB4-470B-88ED-2DB9F84ECEEE.png

They advertised it at 64 1/2 with paperwork but title says it all.  Ford came out so late in 64 and just called it a 65 while build date was early 64.  Thanks for checking that out.

13 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

They advertised it at 64 1/2 with paperwork but title says it all.  Ford came out so late in 64 and just called it a 65 while build date was early 64.  Thanks for checking that out.

No problem, I’ve owned about 40 1965-66 Mustangs, and one 1967! 1967 a much better driver.  

I’ve had sixes and eights, and sixes with factory four speeds, a couple with eight track players, a couple of K cars, one a convertible with automatic transmission (yes, they did put some automatics behind the HiPo engine), mostly open or fastback as coupes used to be parts cars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trimacar said:

I agree, no such animal, just very early '65.

IMG_44011.JPG.8d534d8324c664d6306f9f7b312168af.JPGRemember a 65 Mustang is now a 57 year old car.   My first 34 ford was only 38 when I bought it.

It's also hard to believe how old I am now.  Our Mustang was 5 when we bought it.

• Like 2

In 2020 I went with my son to the Hanmer Car Show - about an hour and half drive away. Hanmer is a small town up in the foothills known for its hot springs. A friend of his drove this 1976 first generation Honda Civic (1976 being the first year of local assembly - the earlier ones were imported built up). There were several hundred cars there, mostly run-of-the-mill American and Australian models, some performance oriented and many not. In the time I was sitting in the car next to it (a relatively rare NZ-assembled Mitsubishi Sigma SE - since sold) the Honda received most of the attention, for nostalgia reasons, I heard things like "My Mum had one of those" etc. The average show goer tends to walk past most of the cars and say little, if anything at all.

76 HX8206 Civic Hanmer 20 Chris Akkerman photo (2).jpg

76 HX8206 Civic Hanmer 20 ccap.jpg

• Like 4

Each year the local Historical Society holds a hobby fair; folks set up tables with various collectibles and such. Some years I set up myself but I didn't make time this go around. I spent about an hour walking around and chatting with folks. The conversations I had will stick with me for months, maybe years. I could tell some of those folks were starving for someone to talk to; hopefully I made them feel appreciated. What might be interesting is that most of those I spoke with have hobbies that don't really interest me that much, but I was able to learn some things that made me just a bit more intelligent and well-rounded. I won't soon forget the woman who collects antique purses (if she's who I think she is, her husband passed away not long ago.) The salt/pepper shaker collector, the milk bottle collector, the knitter...I'm a little better now because I spent some time on a Saturday afternoon getting to know them. I tried to thank each of them for coming out.

In about 1998 I went to visit a dear friend down in Virginia. On my way home I stopped for gas around metro DC. At the next pump was a guy with a mid-sixties SAAB. We only chatted for those few minutes. I gave him some encouraging words. I have no desire to own one of those cars, but I've not forgotten that meeting. At the last car show I attended, hardly anyone took the time to talk to me. Participants could vote for their favorite car. I gave #1 to the guy with the Avanti. He was the only one who took the time to really chat with me about his car. It's now burned in my mind. I like Studebakers, but I don't feet a need to ever own that model. It was worth giving up those few hours, not to see his car, but to have that conversation. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, dship said:

Despite generally accepted recognition,

Ford offered them as 1965, in that technically there was no real '64 and a half - just sayin'.

I know a lot of folks use that terminology, but ....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Despite generally accepted recognition,

Ford offered them as 1965, in that technically there was no real '64 and a half - just sayin'.

I know a lot of folks use that terminology, but ....

I agree, no true 64 1/2, just early 65.  But they came with a generator, not an alternator.  And for a V8 they came with a 260ci, not a 289ci.

• Thanks 1

I was pleased to see fairly robust interest in the unusual this evening at a local cruise-in that we sponsor. Melanie's pink wagon always attracts a lot of attention, but the Cord also drew its fair share of admirers (duh). It was Mopar night and there were a lot of great muscle cars, but I think these two cars drew as much attention as any of the Hemis. The feedback was entirely positive and we had a lot of good conversations with people who didn't know that, say, the Cord can run all day at 70 MPH or how its shifter works, or that the wagon has power windows and a power seat, and that Melanie drives it daily. I think most car guys are interested in all kinds of hardware, but maybe the general public simply gravitates towards what they know, which is Mustangs. 

2023-08-2918_35.41-1.jpg.ce7beda048505b290f8d4ee8edb1c677.jpg 2023-08-2918_31_55.jpg.c3687c8e9d40821c5545c378a90505cc.jpg

That said, there were quite a few guys who were able to walk past this display and not even seem to notice it. That struck me as odd. How can you miss a Cord convertible and a bright pink station wagon? How can you not want to get a closer look? That was kind of weird.

• Like 8