Should I? 34 Chevrolet - buy it?

Porsche 68

I’ve been after this 34 Chevy for about 20 years now I’m in a position to buy it          It belongs to a friend of mine he has had it since he was 17 he’s 77 now everything is either NOS or rebuilt all chrome is done completely rebuilt drivetrain the only thing not done is interior and top. He’s got way more into than his asking. The body is almost perfect tiny dings no rust whatsoever and wood is excellent 

IMG_0174.jpeg

• Like 2

Absolutely !

Grab It !

Finish it !

Drive it !

Show it !

Take your friend for as many drives as his health will allow - for as long as you both can !

Or else tell me how to get it - and an 81 year old guy has no business buying more cars (LOL) !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Take your friend for as many drives as his health will allow - for as long as you both can !

This is what I have always believed in and still do. People love the cars for all sorts of reasons - its pretty, the investment factor, awards, trophies, the history, bragging rights or what they were made for - they have wheels they need to be driven.

All the time I have owned an old car ( started in 1963) one of the greatest pleasures is to see the smile on someones face when you drive by and wave hello - something they don't expect, and you know for that few seconds you have made them happy. Yes, I am a sentimentalist.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

WOW! Thanks for the quick replies! Yeah I know it’s a no brainer !  I know it’s not going anywhere I just have to find space for the 34 coupe As far as NOS stuff goes the front fenders exhaust trunk rack dash gauges and another garage full of nos  The body is almost perfect small dents almost ready for paint I have to do more research I am not reallocating familiar with these cars 

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0176.jpeg

• Like 3

It's been owned by the same guy for 60 years, the drivetrain is done, the car is rust free, the wood is solid, it has tons of NOS parts and the top goes down.

What more could you want?

As Marty said, get it roadworthy and take your friend for many, many rides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great looking car and personal connection.  I have a friend with an all original 34 Chevy just like that he claims it is his favorite car despite a collection that includes CCCA cars and a C2 vette.  If you get it happy to connect you both.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Should I? 34 Chevrolet - buy it?

You’re asking this crowd whether you should get the car or not? Have you seen some of the garages and backyards/ lower 40s? I asked my friends what they thought about my buying a ‘40 Packard basket case, their reply ( in unison) “ its not here yet?” They’re car hoarders! I don’t call myself one yet, I only have 6 projects!

• Haha 3

Just called the guy with the car sold the car to a guy who hemmed and hawed 2 years ago about buying it ☹️☹️☹️☹️ O well I guess now the search continues for something else to buy.  Sorry to get everyone excited. John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Harley said:

After you buy the car.  Join up with the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA).  They are a great club with a good website and you should be able to find all the help you will need with the car.😊

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women and not Car Fenders"

Mid 30's cars without skirts are all plain Janes.

22 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

I’ve been after this 34 Chevy for about 20 years now I’m in a position to buy it.

You answered your own question.  What are you waiting for?

Ah, sorry you missed it.  That one was not going to last...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

I once was sitting on the running board of a '26 Stude big six that was being offered at a good price trying to figure out where to put it. I had not yet committed to purchase it but did want it. A friend of the seller walked into the garage and asked "what's up"? And to the responce that the seller was offering his car for sale, the very next words I heard were, "I'll buy it"! 

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

Like I posted before the car was sold last week to someone I know he will treat the car right. John 

Well you have learned a valuable lesson.... When opportunity knocks, don't tell the  whole world  about it and assume the car will be there when you get ready. Get your money and go buy it. A wise man once told me " If you tell all your business, it wouldnt be long you wouldnt have any"  (MY DAD) This as a no brainer as long as the price wasn't  higher that a giraffes  nuts...

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, Porsche 68 said:

WOW! Thanks for the quick replies! Yeah I know it’s a no brainer !  I know it’s not going anywhere I just have to find space for the 34 coupe As far as NOS stuff goes the front fenders exhaust trunk rack dash gauges and another garage full of nos  The body is almost perfect small dents almost ready for paint I have to do more research I am not reallocating familiar with these cars 

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0176.jpeg