Another Model A trip adventure starts soon

gwells

Back in Oct-Nov 2014, I purchased a 1930 Tudor in Oregon and drove it back home to Atlanta. That trip was blogged and chronicled in several places, including an article in a summer 2015 issue of the 'Antique Automobile.'

The trip was so much fun that I kept looking to do something similar again and now I will be doing so. Found a very nice 1930 Coupe on Hemmings Marketplace last week and made the deal. The car is in Connecticut and yes, I'm driving it home, this time without a chase car as this vehicle is in much better condition than was the Tudor. Rebuilt Model B engine with full-pressure oiling, FSI electronic ignition, the Lincoln drum hydraulic brake conversion, recent tires and tubes, recent correct upholstery in the cabin and rumble seat, a trunk rack, and a stone guard, plus a number of spares. The seller runs a vintage race car service and restoration shop he founded in 1978, and he assures me this car is mechanically sound and will be well-serviced before we depart.

Another fun part of the adverture is that I will be able to get directly to pick up the car almost entirely by Amtrak, at a substantial savings over flying (which I detest these days). In my retirement I help to run a 35-acre train museum in the Atlanta area, so this is right in my wheelhouse. Looks like a close friend who lives near the seller may ride along and fly back home afterwards.

The planned route is to avoid I-95 entirely, to stop off in Hershey to see the AACA Museum and the new AACA national headquarters and library, and then to make as much of the southward trip as we can via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Figuring on about four-five days travel time, depending on how much we sightsee and dawdle.

As before, I'll be posting a daily trip blog, most likely on Facebook and perhaps on my hobby website, too. And I hope to dabble with video this trip, something I didn't do at all in 2014. Likely won't try to learn to edit video on the trip so that will be posted after I'm back home

Hope some of you here will be interested enough to follow along and if anyone spots me on the road or in Hershey, do try to say hello.

coupe.2.jpg

• Like 24

Motor on and keep us posted. Don't know how you'll get everything in a coupe but at least it's not a cross country journey.

Beautiful car and should get lots of thumbs up along the way. Be safe.

Terry

A possible route: Pick up U.S. 6 west in CT, south on U.S. 11 to U.S. 15 and then to Hershey. Maybe back on U.S. 11 south if you want the Skyline Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway. Not quick but pleasant scenery. 

• Like 1

Terry,

Yeah, you're right about storage being tight.

Seller has reinstalled the trunk rack (a nice wood-trimmed unit, see picture) that comes with the car and I'm planning to strap a big Rubbermaid container on it in lieu of a proper trunk. It'll look ugly (like me!), but I can deal with that.

Ford Model A (2).jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for posting. That is a handsome coupe. I envy you the purchase of the car and the planned trip.

I second Gary Ashe's suggestion of traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a highway ideally suited for pre-war cars - lots of views, lots of places to stop, and modest speeds. The altitude varies, but sometimes reaches around 5,000 feet, with plenty of elevations in the 2,500-4,000 feet range, especially in the North Carolina part. If the car starts running funny, you may need to lean out the carburetor a little. 

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received my MARC roster and my Rand McNally large format atlas today.

Getting really excited about my trip, which will start in a couple of days.

My good friend from NY, who will be riding with me from the start, has to leave after a day or so to attend his son's wedding in the Dominican Republic. He and his wife have to fly out on July 4, so he will be dropped off at the airport in Harrisburg after we visit Hershey. Which means I will be traveling solo on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If any of you are in the area, please reach out, as I would love to meet up for a visit or a meal.

My biggest concern now is lodging along the Blue Ridge, as most of it is stupidly expensive. Getting too old to camp and it would be hard to bring along on Amtrak the stuff it need to do that. Hopefully, Priceline will point me to cheaper lodging off the Parkway...

As promised, I will post links here to my daily trip blog so you can follow along on this old guy's crazy Model A adventure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gwells said:

My biggest concern now is lodging along the Blue Ridge, as most of it is stupidly expensive. Getting too old to camp and it would be hard to bring along on Amtrak the stuff it need to do that. Hopefully, Priceline will point me to cheaper lodging off the Parkway...

My son works for the NPS in Shenandoah, he mentioned to me earlier in the spring that most of the lodging was booked. He say's he see's a lot of antique cars' touring through park. They are renovating the gas station at Great Meadow, and it was not open a few weeks ago when I visited him.     

• Like 1

Please keep your itinerary posted. We are not far from the southern end of Shenandoah National Park where the Blue Ridge Parkway begins. Waynesboro, VA, is just a short drive off the parkway there and has many dining and lodging options. There are a couple of cheap motels near the BRP at Fancy Gap near the southern end of VA as well. Don't expect anything fancy at Fancy Gap! Ask me how I know. 😜

Once you get into North Carolina there are great options at Boone, Little Switzerland, Asheville, Maggie Valley and Cherokee but inexpensive will be hard to find in those areas. I used to travel the BRP a lot on motorcycle. I'd think in a Model A, three days to travel the 469 mile length would be comfortable. With stops you'll only average about 25 mph.

• Like 1

Will do, regarding the itinerary. I'll be basically making it up as I go along, as I have until July 6 to be back in Norcross.

Right now, the plan is to stay in Stormville, NY, with my friend Mike on Monday night and to head for Hershey early Tuesday. Probably stay in the vicinity of Hershey Tuesday evening, as I have to drop Mike off at the airport in Harrisburg no later than mid-afternoon on Wednesday. Then I'll head for either Skyline Drive or the BRP by the most convenient route and grab a hotel where I can.

After that, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 4

On 6/14/2023 at 8:07 PM, Terry Bond said:

Beautiful car and should get lots of thumbs up along the way.

My, 24' Dodge is legally registered but has bogus 25' plates on it.  Town, County or State, the only attention the cops have ever given is a high five or thumbs up.

Happy motoring.

11 hours ago, gwells said:

Right now, the plan is to stay in Stormville, NY, with my friend Mike on Monday night

Beautiful car ! Your in my neck of the woods ( Wappingers Falls, NY - about 15-20mins from Stormville ) if you need anything at all, just holler....I'm doing renovation work on the house, so I'll be around !

Anyway, have a safe trip !

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just arrived back home at 8:05 pm Monday evening, in the middle of a cataclysmic electrical thunderstorm, which has probably cancelled the local fireworks show.

Episode 5 will be posted on Facebook in the morning.

1 hour ago, gwells said:

Because a lot of folks don't do Facebook, I'm going to post my daily trip reports to this thread, with pictures.

I am one of those people who don't do Facebook so I really appreciate you cross posting here.

Sounds like a reasonably successful adventure. Well, except for the bumper and passenger side damage.

I really enjoyed "riding along" by reading this.

• Like 10

As another who never used Facebook, I appreciate you posting here. I very much enjoy this type of adventure when folks like you are gracious enough to take the time to share them with us and this was no exception! Very well written! I'm glad the damage to the car wasn't excessive as I'm sure it could've been much worse. 

Thanks again for sharing! 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

As another who never used Facebook

And yet another who doesn't use facebook. When I have my face in a book it is looking at a printed page . Great to read this and I will echo the others comments about thanks for doing this and hope your repairs that need to be done go smoothly and with no trauma. Hope to say hello in person at Hershey.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, JohnS25 said:

Good news is Model A parts are cheap and plentiful.

Absolutely!

Without the superior parts availability for these cars, and the network of nearly 16,000 Model A car club members, angels really, more than willing to help fellow enthusiasts when they have problems, I likely would not be brave enough to attempt such a journey.

Ordered a bunch of parts today from Bert's Model A Store in Colorado to replace the those lost in the fender-bender and to fix the broken driver's door look so I can drive the silly thing again.

• Like 3

Wow, that was quite an adventure. Kudos to you for undertaking it and keeping a good attitude. I'm not wired for that kind of risk and relying on the kindness of strangers, but it certainly worked out well. 

It still doesn't change my mind that it's always smartest to ship a car home rather than drive it. If someone had bought that car from me, at the first sign of trouble they'd be on the phone yelling at me, demanding that I come personally fix it, pay for a hotel, give them a refund on the car, and pay to ship it to their home--or worse. My hat is off to you for not making the problems you faced into the seller's problems. Not many guys handle it so well.

Great writing, too. Very enjoyable to read. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 7

Thank you for posting here, from another that doesn't do facebook!

The minor issues, pains in the you know wheres, and damaged fenders will soon be the tales you tell on tour and club meeting bull sessions!

All in all, the sort of adventure I hope to be able to do again!

• Like 4

Great adventures, both of them! 

I drove a dubiously cared for '60 Ford truck home 300+ miles once. My road trip adventure itch hasn't come back since!

I admire your "can do" spirit and appreciate your sharing. This type of thing is very engrossing! 

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ply33 said:

I am one of those people who don't do Facebook so I really appreciate you cross posting here.

Sounds like a reasonably successful adventure. Well, except for the bumper and passenger side damage.

I really enjoyed "riding along" by reading this.

I'll second that