Classic car theft foiled because crooks couldn't figure out how to drive it

Crusty Trucker

Around 110 BT21s were built in the late 1960s.

Manual transmissions have become something of a theft deterrent in recent years, as many younger people do not know how to use them, but how about getting the car started in the first place?

That seems to have been the challenge for a thief or thieves who tried to steal a rare race car near Melbourne, Australia, last week.

The Brabham BT21 was one of about 110 that were built in the late 1960s for use in Formula 3 and other racing series around the world.

The open-wheel single-seater was at a home in the suburb of Toorak, where it was being stored ahead of its entry in the Phillip Island Classic car racing event.

According to the Victoria Police, it was stolen during the overnight hours of March 9, but found by police abandoned on a nearby street early in the morning. Apparently, whoever tried to get away with it didn't know the starting procedure, which isn't as simple as turning a key.Like many competition cars, the BT21 has separate switches for the battery, fuel pump and ignition, and they must be engaged in a particular order to get it to work."I don’t think they knew how to turn on all the switches to be able to start it properly," owner Peter Williams told ABC Radio Melbourne on Friday morning.Police said the clutch for its five-speed manual transmission was also damaged, making the car inoperable and in need of repairs. Police released a photo of the car and are asking for tips, but there are so far no suspects or witnesses to the crime.

• Haha 1

This article is making its rounds on the forum circuit faster than that car can make a lap. I think there is more to it than what is posted. That car is way too special for someone to be 'foiled' by not knowing how to start it, or even a manual trans. A toyota would be much easier and more profitable to the average thug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

This article is making its rounds on the forum circuit faster than that car can make a lap. I think there is more to it than what is posted. That car is way too special for someone to be 'foiled' by not knowing how to start it, or even a manual trans. A toyota would be much easier and more profitable to the average thug. 

that is my opinion also. I have been told that not too much worry about a super car stolen because it would be hard to sell. Parts are another thing. other opinions?

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

Watch the Saturday Night Live skit "The Heist" on you tube.Very funny,I don't know how to post it here.

Is this the one?

I can't watch SNL lately because of all the politics. Nice to see them do something in the non biased comedy realm finally.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My wife can drive a standard shift. She says the first time, maybe only time, she heard her father swear was when he taught her.

When we were dating I got her a '66 Chevy pick up (she was a Hippy). I taught her how to slip the clutch while stopped on an incline. She went home and told her father about this great thing I knew how to do and she wanted to teach him.

Best best thing about standard is being able to pronounce it. If you can you can pronounce Bernard the way my mother did. A complicated linguistic for most.

True, and the three on the tree does not have it on the knob!

23 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

True, and the three on the tree does not have it on the knob!

Three on the tree...

Now that's a statement that will truly mess with anyone who is green to manuals. Can you imagine the look on any young persons face as they skim over this thread by accident?

"Wait, why is he talking about trees?"

Image result for confused teenager gif

• Haha 2

On 3/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Most young people can't back up in a old VW Beetle, even of they can go forward.    This story is another reason not to have your shift pattern on your shift knob.  

Image result for old VW Beetle shift pattern image even when they see it they don't understand the down-over and around bit.

Oh, and what to do about that third pedal.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:58 AM, joe_padavano said:

One of these articles makes the rounds on the interwebs about every month. Dog bites man.

antitheft.png

Boomers mistaking generations again. Millennials are the ones who still know how to drive a stick got their license on their 16th birthday and are driving many clubs today, Gen Z’ers are the ones who don’t have a license until age 27 because they are afraid to drive and don’t know what PRNDL is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkV said:

Boomers mistaking generations again. Millennials are the ones who still know how to drive a stick got their license on their 16th birthday and are driving many clubs today, Gen Z’ers are the ones who don’t have a license until age 27 because they are afraid to drive and don’t know what PRNDL is. 

Pretty much, I'm a millenium and all of my mates got manual licenses when learning to drive which for some millenniums was actually quite some time ago now

I knew a truck driver. One day his assignment was to take the new guy out and show him the ropes. Guy gets in the truck, looks around for a few minutes then asks where the shifter was. Buddy answered, its the big stick coming out of the floor. This guy had gone through driver school and got a license and had no idea how to drive a manual!

I belong to the Arcane Auto Society. Everyone has an odd car (I have a '51 Simca 8 Sport) one of the members has two Toyota Sport 800.

About a year ago someone broke into the place he keeps them and tried to steel them. One didn't quite leave the building and the other one was recovered several blocks away. I don't think the thieves had any idea what they were.

Toyota Sports 800 Driven! The Supra's Grandpappy Was a Hoot

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MarkV said:

Let's forget about gear shifts and not even knowing how to drive. Some of these older z adults are still in diapers and have never left home. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Just one question, if your heart doctor can’t drive a standard transmission car, will you change doctors because they are not smart enough to know how to do it?  This entire idea on placing human worth and capability on the ability to drive a car with a clutch is ridiculous.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Just one question, if your heart doctor can’t drive a standard transmission car, will you change doctors because they are not smart enough to know how to do it?  This entire idea on placing human worth and capability on the ability to drive a car with a clutch is ridiculous.

Like a lot of threads, this one has some truth, some myths and some "personal opinion" posts.I am and old fart that has been around cars FOREVER, and there are some I can't drive.  Ford Mod T? Nope. 

But guys need to feel superior!  😝

Ben

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TerryB said:

If the person is still living at home, can't drive a car, can't drive a stick shift, mow the lawn, etc. The person wouldn't be my heart doctor.

• Haha 1

There was a fellow who told a story he swore was true. He was cutting his lawn in a very exclusive neighborhood when a lady stopped driving a big expensive new Cadillac convertible and asked him a question. She commented him on doing such a nice job on the landscaping and asked if he would come and do her lawn also. Then she asked how much he charged. He told her he would be happy to come to her place and “the lady of this house lets me sleep with her” for his work. The lady took off. The guys name is Lee Travino the pro golfer. It was his house. So you never know maybe a hood surgeon likes cutting grass to relax. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

Let's raise the bar a little: You're not a real driver unless you can float the gears with your pre-synchromesh transmission...

... Of course, I am not a real driver as I can't do it, and I have been afraid to try to learn with my cars.

Phil