1963 Chevrolet Impala Z-11, $1,000,000.00 (Woodinville, Washington) not mine

Featured on Hemmings Auctions:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/impala/2632276.html

• Seller’s Description:

1963 Chevrolet Impala Z-11 For Sale In Woodinville, Washington 98072

If you are someone who appreciates classic authenticity laced with powerful performance than you owe it to yourself to check out this 1963 Chevrolet Impala Z-11! It is the rarest of the 50 Z-11s that were ever built, with only 15 original Z-11's that are known to exist.

Sander's car is (1 of 1 in body color and interior), the most original of all Z-11s, retaining all its original factory body, trim, interior, and original engine parts, with completed and restored factory restoration value (#1) rated over 990 points. This car is both legally and technically by far, the most successful of ALL factory stock drag race cars in 1963.

The most significant rarity of the Z-11s, including the 24 pieces of aluminum body panels with aluminum motor parts, the sintered metallic brakes shoes with vented backing plates, and the Ram-Air Cowl Induction air cleaner is the super rare Z-11 motor structure, of which only 50 Z-11 motors were ever built. These 50 Z-11 motors are by far the very lowest engine production ever built for factory race cars.  

More text and pictures on Hemmings ad...

93510775.jpg

93510782.jpg

93510783.jpg

93510803.jpg

93510771.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Yawn. 

Different strokes for different folks.

Here's another '63, but it's not for sale...and probably more original.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/a-new-409-proved-key-to-getting-an-original-owner-special-order-1963-chevrolet-bel-air-back-on-the-road/ar-AA13T033?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

A new 409 proved key to getting an original-owner, special-order 1963 Chevrolet Bel Air back on the road

Color closeup of the carburetors in a dual-quad 409, nestled in a 1963 Chevrolet Bel Air.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Here's another '63, but it's not for sale...and probably more original.

I don't believe any of the full-sized '63 GM B-bodies had a body-colored firewall.  They should be black like on the brown car in the other article.

Is that an original dealer invoice in the advertisement?  Or a reproduction?

This is a very very cool car,  but I've never been a huge fan of paying for cars that are 20x more expensive because of an engine option.    I love the engine,  just not the price.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

GREAT BIG difference between this car and the million dollar Z11 besides the Z11 price.

My point was that it’s not worth it - especially when the seller has to tell you why you should fork over $1,000,000.   

Whoever buys it is getting a Monet, a Rembrandt. That sort of purchase.   It’s a car!  Drive it, enjoy the visceral feeling you get.  

And you can do that for a heck of a lot less than $1,000,000.  

Can you tell I hate the “1 of” culture?!

• Like 3

A lightweight race car.  Okay, fine for someone

who likes that segment of the hobby.  But the

only thing sustaining a high price is some people's

fascination with that segment.  There's no INHERENT

value to such a thing.

Some interesting collectibles are totally overlooked,

and sell for garage-sale prices.  Some collectibles 

establish a following with solid values.  Occasionally,

some segment of the market is so breathlessly adored

that the cost becomes preposterous.

Oh!  Beanie Babies!  Let's spend thousands of dollars

on cute little plush stuffed animals! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IMHO the light weights are collectible the same as someone who collects any other type of dust collector. They were manufactured to promote sales of the company whichever that might be ( Chevrolet, Ford Plymouth etc.), not to be driven on the street and enjoyed. So if you buy it, you might as well put it under glass to preserve it. No fun factor for me, but my wallet isn't that thick to be able to afford this, but if it was this would not interest me. 

I don’t want to lose any forum friends.  I appreciate everyone’s perspective.   I know I used to follow with interest the race cars from Pontiac and to a lesser extent Ford but I never thought someone would be as audacious as to ask $1,000,000.   Let’s see if there is a buyer out there.  

On August 28th of this year someone paid $12.8 million dollars for a Mickey Mantle baseball card.  So is there a market for what appears to be a well documented race car, probably.  It just excludes most of us who frequent this forum.

I like old race cars. I missed this one’s era, but spent time at the drag strip in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s.

I love the history of this one and the restoration is beautiful. I understand why some people would pay big money for it. I’d love to see it up close but I wouldn’t own it. I have no use for something I can’t drive frequently. 

That said, rarely was an actual race car in this condition. Maybe before the very first race. I would rather see it like it would have been in real life, say midway through the season. With rubber on the rear fenders and other signs of actually performing. But what’s cool about this hobby is there are many tastes and ways to express one’s likes. 

4 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Can’t that be said for any segment of the hobby? 

Definitely, George.  But the greater the excess--

overly highly priced or unappreciated and low-priced--

the more it's worth noting.

We can see how 1930's Classics were worth little

in the Depression and afterward.  Old station wagons

were used as vendors' work vehicles at swap meets.

Muscle cars were used cars and then became highly

favored.  The value isn't inherent.  It's based on what

is SEEN as desirable.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, drhach said:

What I find sad is that there's someone somewhere who has a million dollars to spare and it isn't me; not that I'd spend it on that car if I did. 

Even if I won the lottery, this national lottery that got over $1 Billion, this is not a car I am interested in because the owner-seller likely has "maybe" $200,000 in it and is being greedy asking $1,000,000.   Keep in mind that is just my opinion and why I would not be buying this car. 

I personally don't see any car I would spend $1,000,000 on but I follow the old car news, Chasing Classic Cars, and the auction results and there are clearly cars deserving well in excess of $1,000,000.  

There are also a lot of very nice, cool cars for $20,000, less or more add $10,000 in increments and a guy could have several cars in a collection and not get to $500,000.  

Some of the Deemer cars have sold in recent years I believe. What sort of prices did they fetch ?

P.S. , just found the recent sale for the Roadster. $1.4 million.  Your one million would have been seriously short of securing a purchase.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, Twisted Shifter said:

Not a Z11. No comparison. En

On 11/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, Jim Skelly said:

I don't believe any of the full-sized '63 GM B-bodies had a body-colored firewall.  They should be black like on the brown car in the other article.

2016-09-12 16_40_27-Mopar flathead 6 motors- whats to be expected _ The H.A.M.B..jpg

2022-11-25 19_32_57-.jpg

2022-11-25 19_35_34-Lets talk about 348 409 stuff-1958 to 1965 - Chevrolet - Antique Automobile Club.jpg

2022-11-25 19_38_15-.jpg

• Like 3

This is an original 1964 Bel Air never painted, at least under the hood. An Oshawa Ontario Canada built car. Fawn Beige metallic paint exterior and firewall. Pretty much went down the line with zero options like so many Canadian built cars!

nov25cars 266.jpg

On 11/11/2022 at 7:42 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Even if I won the lottery, this national lottery that got over $1 Billion, this is not a car I am interested in because the owner-seller likely has "maybe" $200,000 in it and is being greedy asking $1,000,000.   Keep in mind that is just my opinion and why I would not be buying this car. 

I personally don't see any car I would spend $1,000,000 on but I follow the old car news, Chasing Classic Cars, and the auction results and there are clearly cars deserving well in excess of $1,000,000.  

There are also a lot of very nice, cool cars for $20,000, less or more add $10,000 in increments and a guy could have several cars in a collection and not get to $500,000.  

Probably has more than that into it.  My friend had a chance to buy it for $275k in 2008/09 from a previous owner, and it sold soon after he passed on the purchase. It isn't a $1m car, but might find a buyer for half of that or so.  

On 11/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

A lightweight race car.  Okay, fine for someone

who likes that segment of the hobby.  But the

only thing sustaining a high price is some people's

fascination with that segment.  There's no INHERENT

value to such a thing.

Some interesting collectibles are totally overlooked,

and sell for garage-sale prices.  Some collectibles 

establish a following with solid values.  Occasionally,

some segment of the market is so breathlessly adored

that the cost becomes preposterous.

Oh!  Beanie Babies!  Let's spend thousands of dollars

on cute little plush stuffed animals! 

BEANIE BABIES… Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch….

4 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The first car you picture with Jay is a '59 - not a '63.  Not sure what cars you have posted in photos two and three.  The fourth picture is a '62 - not a '63.  What I stated was, "I don't believe any of the full-sized '63 GM B-bodies had a body-colored firewall. 

5 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The first car you picture with Jay is a '59 - not a '63.  Not sure what cars you have posted in photos two and three.  The fourth picture is a '62 - not a '63.  What I stated was, "I don't believe any of the full-sized '63 GM B-bodies had a body-colored firewall. 

1st 59-348-

2nd 62 409-409

3rd 1960 348

4th 1962 409?

I posted these cars to show firewall colors. I have owed about 25 Chevy from 58 to 65. Half had black firewalls and the other half were the body color. It may be that different plants did things differently. The 57 Z11s were built in Flint Mi and some were black firewall and the others white.

1963-Chevrolet-Z11-427-CID.jpg

1963-Chevy-427-Mystery-Engine-Johnson.jpg

12240131_1658320657759201_7259487548723094494_n.jpg

On 11/26/2022 at 6:09 AM, Jim Skelly said:

One of my 63s that i restored in 76 had a white firewall. The car was white from the factory. I did a color change. I painted the firewall black and the body Cadillac blue.

1963 Chev (2).jpg

IMG_20200108_112557.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

thanks!

I had thought starting with the '63 model year, that all GM "B" bodies had a black firewall, but wasn't sure; our '63 LeSabre and grandpa's '63 Wildcat were bought new, built in Flint, and had black firewalls; I wondered if there were differences depending on which plant a car was built at

15 minutes ago, Uptowndodge said:

If I bought it I would lift it front and rear put wire wheels on it chrome everything tint the windows and a killer sound system playing Low Rider as I smoke the tires in you neighborhood around 3:00 in the morning after I leave the bar. Dream car for real…

I think you visit my neighborhood on Saturday nights.....  🙂

That is an interesting and rare car. It is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. The seller has a certain amount tied up in it, I'm sure that they would love a bidding war among buyers. In my eyes it isn't anything that I would want to own, I've never been interested in drag racing. There are a lot of very rich people today that can pay any price for anything that they desire. Therefore we hear about stratospheric prices paid for collectible items. It doesn't add anything of value to the hobby.

• Like 1