Weird neo-classical thing

Studemax

I have figured out it's a '79 Mercury Capri - not a Mustang. The rear bumper is from a 60's Mustang, and looks very out of place where the 5MPH bumper cover used to be. It's just bizarre.

I was offered the car, but the owner recently died and the family can't find the title. Deceased owner had a nice T-bucket, a Lambo, and a panhead Harley-Davidson stored in the same facility, and rents on all units are way overdue. I may be able to get this cheaply and flip it without much trouble if I can ID the darn thing. It's a head scratcher, for sure.

They wouldn't let me help start it and I'm sure they flooded it when the guy poured a cup of gas down the single throat carb. The T-bucket and Harley started right up. All of them had been in the storage unit for over 10 years. I live a mile away on the same busy street, and had never seen them out driving. Hope to find out more today.

This is one of the late 1970's/early 1980's spasm of neo-classic replicars which took its cue from the run up in prices of genuine 'classic' old cars.  These were designed and built to appeal to an aging, prosperous demographic that wanted the look of an 'old classic' without the inconvenience that can be part of genuine old car ownership.  These were built to display the owner's wealth to those not knowledgeable about old cars.  To put it plainly, they are the automotive equivalent of cubic zirconium.

Advice: before any offer or money changes hands, know what this replicar is and what the current market for such is.   Or, do yourself a favor, run away quickly!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just understand when you go to sell it someday,  as it will most likely grow old very quickly and not in a good way,  the line of people forming to buy it can be counted on one hand or most likely one finger and that may only be an uneducated flipper at that. 

Most real old car people really don't like these. I can honestly say I would take the stock capri hands down over this and I like neither. 

• Like 1

If Bowman and Schwartz had made it with caveman tools the aficionados would be drooling all over it.

That car can be sold easily to the over 60 crowd. Just make them believe they are stealing it from you. It works every time.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Studemax said:

I was offered the car, but the owner recently died and the family can't find the title.

And THIS is the real problem. First, every DMV in the country has a process for obtaining a replacement title. If the family can't be bothered with this, run, don't walk, away.

The family is taking the T-bucket and Harley back to Arizona (because they started). No word on the Lambo. Title for the neo classic thing is already in process, and I'm in no hurry to acquire it. A local YouTuber (guess which one?) is showing some interest.

1 hour ago, Studemax said:

The family is taking the T-bucket and Harley back to Arizona (because they started). No word on the Lambo. Title for the neo classic thing is already in process, and I'm in no hurry to acquire it. A local YouTuber (guess which one?) is showing some interest.

What is the deal with the Lamborghini? Year & model? 

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The white paint may be a good base coat for a candy apple tangerine top coat, maybe with just a bit of metal flake.

Don't forget to buy the new owner a full-length fur coat, a pair of platform shoes with goldfish in the heels, and a purple fedora with an egret plume.

That crest on the sidemount cover should indicate who did the conversion. Past that look at the car's VIN. My guess is it's a Ford VIN and titled as such. It MAY have a conversion manufacturer's plate somewhere.

But yeah, if the sellers are too lazy or uncooperative to apply for a clear reissue title, best to walk away quickly. 

More info, more pix. The key fob says '81 Mustang, and there was a small Mustang badge in the console. Chromed script on the glove box - Royale. Prop rod for the hatchback. Spare Mustang rear bumper painted white. Couldn't geta clear photo of the VIN. The Lambo turned out to be a kit car, it will go back to Arizona next trip. Seems there are multiple cars in this guy's hoard scattered around Doodah in storage units. There are no badges anywhere on the outside of the car other than American Racing on the fake sidemounts. The Firestones look nasty.

JCLSle2.jpg

WGj2B9L.jpg

drh90ZN.jpg

Edited by Studemax (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Don't forget to buy the new owner a full-length fur coat

Be a chick magnet like great Grandpa. From the days of impeccable taste and unerring youth.

Actually it was those flawless minded 70-80 year olds who bought the less expensive neo-classics. Just think about who was driving them in the '70s and '80s.

1920s mens fur coat Online Sale, UP TO 55% OFF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, 1937hd45 said:

This is no different than an interstate traffic collision, seeing that thing after falling off the top of a transporter would be a blessing. 

I'd tell you off, but Petey boy would get all riled up.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

These were designed and built to appeal to an aging, prosperous demographic that wanted the look of an 'old classic' without the inconvenience that can be part of genuine old car ownership.  These were built to display the owner's wealth to those not knowledgeable about old cars.  To put it plainly, they are the automotive equivalent of cubic zirconium.

Steve you have a way with words.  Best description for a "neoclassic" I have ever heard!! 👍😊😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I don't know anymore than I did before - but the car was sold about an hour ago. I helped load it on a trailer, and it's headed to Junction City to be transformed once the new owner does a deep dive on it. I made no money on the deal, simply connected a friend who needed to sell it - to a friend who was looking for a new project. Everybody happy!

My sister's first car was a 79 Mustang. What a terrible heap. Later Ford got the bugs out but all my experience with late 70s/early 80s Ford products was dismal. That said, I have a soft spot for the inline 6's from FoMoCo.

Someone could always grab a front clip and convert it back to how it began life. The basic car looks a lot better than most Fox bodies from that era.

I am glad to hear it found a buyer, and that you were able to play a part. A great feeling when it works.

The car has less than 10,000 miles on the odometer. Underneath it looked okay, but the differential was pretty nasty. Stainless exhaust system. Putting a new front clip on the car was mentioned. Should point out the wheelbase was lengthened to fit the fiberglass parts on it.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, 1937hd45 said:

This is no different than an interstate traffic collision, seeing that thing after falling off the top of a transporter would be a blessing. 

Got to be done Vegas style!

Park it in the lobby of one of those old worn out hotels on the Strip that's about to be imploded.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have always liked the neo-classic revival cars. The Exner father and son team kicked them off with a nudge from Ken Purdy. They haven't all been the height of design excellent and engineering but the concepts have held my interest.

One of my biggest regrets happened in 2005 when my finger was hovering over the Enter button to pull the trigger on this Stutz burn job for sale on Ebay. Do many times I wish I had bought it.

Read the seller's description: "Automotive Art for sale!!!!!! CAR OF THE STARS!!!!!!" You see? It isn't quite as bad as it looks.

Seven years later I bought my 1986 Buick Park avenue convertible conversion. I have had that for ten years now and have enjoyed many top down summer days with it. I just stay away from organized car events and cruise nights where there is no shortage of commentators. Sort of like Disney characters. Staying way has worked out just fine.

Peter Pan, Dumbo preceded by advisory graphics warning racist content on  Disney+ | SYFY WIRE

011.JPG.de3d0958a0131d4eca9f01b8756cd8bd.JPG

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have always liked the neo-classic revival cars. The Exner father and son team kicked them off with a nudge from Ken Purdy. They haven't all been the height of design excellent and engineering but the concepts have held my interest.

Exner designed a few 'revialist' cars, starting in the 1960's, including Stutz, Duesenberg, Mercer, and Packard, and Bugatti.  Some did make it 'one-off' status back then, including Duesenberg, Bugatti, and Mercer (with the American Copper Institute's funding).  The Stutz was the only one of his that made it to series production, based on Pontiac Grand Prix's and Bonnevilles:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/55299-orphan-of-the-day-08-24-1966-duesenberg-1980-stutz-iv-porte

Arguably, the longest running, and most successfull neoclassic is the Excalibur designed by Brooks Stevens.  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/18019-studebaker-ss?17549-Studebaker-SS=&highlight=Excalibur

Craig