Paying a Bridge toll for a pre war Car. I think we need a petition.

Dandy Dave

Wondering if anyone else has run into this? I went to a show with my 1915 Buick just across the Rip VanWinkle bridge and forgot to put an EZPass transmitter in it before I left. Upon crossing the bridge I figgured I'll have them take care of it with my EZpass Account. So the bill comes, $2.00 bucks. I try to log on my EZ pass account. It would not take my user name and password. Had to get off and back on the last seveal days to to get it resolved. Any way, I finnaly get in. I want to put the plate number on my account so it will be taken care of if this happens again. Comes back that it will not except any vehicles older than 1941. WTF??? I say we should start a petition to discontinue the fees on our pre war cars if they do not want to reconize them in the system. In my case, A car that is 108 years old has paid enough tolls and should be free if not reconized by the powers to be. Where to start?

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Dandy Dave changed the title to Paying a Bridge toll for a pre war Car. I think we need a petition.

Come on Dave, how long have you been living in New York, you should know that some things just don't make sense in NY. When I tried to put my '32 Ford on Easy Pass I called and asked why they would not accept it. Ready for this? I was told that "there aren't that many old cars around, so it wouldn't make sense to include them". I asked what difference that made, as a plate is a plate and a toll is a toll, so why did the year matter. The agent replied "that's the way it is" and hung up on me! It's like year of manufacture plates in NY. They will not accept them if they are restored. My friend however has the rustiest, unreadable YOM plate on his car and that was accepted. One thing in his favor is that the plate is unreadable by the cameras and he has never paid a toll in over 10 years. Some things just don't make sense so we live with them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's odd. Here in MD I entered the YOM tag on my 54. When the toll readers register a toll on the YOM tag it is associated to the historic tag registered to the 54 and charged to my account.  The actual year of the car makes no  difference. NY needs to address this. 

• Like 1

Dave, do you honestly think that the powers that be here in NY would let a fee or tax go unpaid?            John

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

This was on the HAMB just the other day. 

3 9 6.jpg

Bob...ever wonder if that "Minchinbury Champagne" advertising sign in the upper left had anything to do with the wreck?

• Like 1

I just spent six months, countless hours and spent more money than the billing for two trips across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, to finally straighten out a Good To Go snafu. It was another vintage car with a 1935 Washington plate. Two trips were billed to me for my 1937 car and plate. I finally had to send them photos of both front and back of my car with the plates affixed. Than I had to call to find out what the status was on my open account. Even then I received no apology or satisfying explanation for what happened, nor any assurance that it wouldn't happen again.  

Just to make it clear as I understand Good To Go in the state of Washington it is not a govt agency but rather a contracted private entity. I'm not trying to let the WSDOT off the hook, since they let the contract and should be responsible for whomever operates the system, however I found the WSDOT contacts to be helpful and sympathetic. GTG on the other hand I found to be obtuse, intractable, even when I spelled out exactly what had happened. 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand all and angst and wasted time over $2! If a car is using the public road and there is a toll, why should they be exempt, no matter the age of said car? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

That's odd. Here in MD I entered the YOM tag on my 54. When the toll readers register a toll on the YOM tag it is associated to the historic tag registered to the 54 and charged to my account.  The actual year of the car makes no  difference. NY needs to address this. 

I just spent an hour at the ezpass in Maryland, last friday getting things organized. They do require you to list the vehicle, colour, model, year and tag no. But no vin. I have 2 transponders that are interchangable and good for 4 vehicles including my motorcycle. I did not register my 77 (although way beyond the realm of this thread).

I will add, when one travels through the toll without being registered they will track you down by tag no., I would imagine year of car makes no diff. at that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

I'm from the government and I am here to help you.

All of our toll roads are run by the private sector, and I kid you not that it was rumoured that up until the late 2000’s the billing was run daily via an excel spreadsheet with macros 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

Dave, do you honestly think that the powers that be here in NY would let a fee or tax go unpaid?            John

Just a way to wake them up. I should take this all the way to Washington DC. with the fife and drum band and a line of pre war cars. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

I don't understand all and angst and wasted time over $2! If a car is using the public road and there is a toll, why should they be exempt, no matter the age of said car? 

If they want their two bucks, reconize my already established EZ Pass account and make it work so it is eazy like it is designed to be. The time I had to waste trying to resolve their policy is time I could have been doing other stuff I would have rather been doing. So I am the one being punished why? Reconize the plate and car like every other automobile, or fore go it. Understand that it is not about the money, but the waste of my valuable time. Got it now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

With all the fuel and road taxes we all pay, there should be no toll roads or toll bridges anywhere.  All the old toll bridges in this country should have been paid off years ago!  

When the Bridge I went over was built, It was said that in 10 or 15 years there would have been enough tolls collected that the funds would have been enough to mantained the bridge for the rest of its useful life and that there would be no more tolls. That was said in 1935. 

• Like 1

What gets me is the toll roads are always beat to pieces. Once it's paid off, at least use the toll revenue to fix and maintain the road.

Otherwise it's just a (literal) shakedown scheme- both for your wallet and your poor old vehicle that's getting lost in the potholes...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

and forgot to put an EZPass transmitter in it before I left.

I saw an ad on TV. It's stuff that actually comes from jellyfish.

They burrow into your brain and make you acutely attentive.

Does a sperm always reach an egg? - Quora

• Haha 1

Over 55 should get the senior discount.

I rarely have to use a toll road. But to visit my sister in Gig harbor I have to pay that Narrows bridge toll.

I remember when the new side was not there, and before that the toll booth was.

Must've been the late 50s or early 60s when they closed the original tool booths.

These days I will take the drive down thru Shelton and hook back onto I5 at Olympia.

It's a nice leisurely drive and avoids the toll.

• Like 2

I remember the movie “It’s a mad mad world” had a seen with the toll booth for 25 cents.  
I can’t get the scene to download. 

Cars are chasing each other first one goes thru booth at 60 mph and the attendant holds his hand out and the quartet is in it next car right behind the first and there are two quarters in his hand, same thing happens with third car the fourth car speeds thru leaves a dollar and the quarters are gone.

Long time since a quarter toll

dave s 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

I remember the movie “It’s a mad mad world” had a seen with the toll booth for 25 cents.  
I can’t get the scene to download. 

Cars are chasing each other first one goes thru booth at 60 mph and the attendant holds his hand out and the quartet is in it next car right behind the first and there are two quarters in his hand, same thing happens with third car the fourth car speeds thru leaves a dollar and the quarters are gone.

Long time since a quarter toll

dave s 

Great movie!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

When the Bridge I went over was built, It was said that in 10 or 15 years there would have been enough tolls collected that the funds would have been enough to mantained the bridge for the rest of its useful life and that there would be no more tolls. That was said in 1935. 

We had one bridge that was a toll road that converted early than expected to a public road because it collected so much 

Nowadays we only seem to get toll roads and then for the privilege of using the new road they extend the toll roads by another 10 years...

The upkeep on our toll roads is very good though (presumably so they can keep extending the deed)

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Shaw said:

Jack,

These days, fuel to avoid the toll may cost more than the bridge toll.

Might be, but I love that drive along the sound.

The hassle of that stretch of I-5 has to be considered as well. (Tacoma to Olympia)

I have to admit it's been a few years since I was up there. Probably all condos by now. LOL

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I try to avoid that area too..., but there are few viable alternatives.

Go across the Narrows Bridge to Purdy go left and head for Shelton.

Probably not worth it if you aren't already in the Gig Harbor area.

The sister has a Gig Harbor address but lives out past Purdy several miles.

Elgin-Clifton Road.

I spent alot of time out that way when I was a kid. We had a cabin on the Minter Lagoon. Good memories of the 50s 60s.

We ate alot of oysters and butter clams. All I had to do was go pick them up.

• Like 1

The tolls received by the travellers on I95 through Maryland are only spent on that road. It was built using bonds, once the bonds were paid the money now collected is used to keep the road maintained. The good of it is that 95 through MD is probably the best stretch of that road until you hit FLA. I live in the furtherest north part of the state. My county is on the eastern side of the bay, Susquehanna river. There are toll bridges at 2 of the 3 crossings into our county. One has to pay to get into and out of my county! Hit the toll coming into it, then once you hit DE you have to pay again.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, JACK M said:

Go across the Narrows Bridge to Purdy go left and head for Shelton.

Probably not worth it if you aren't already in the Gig Harbor area.

The sister has a Gig Harbor address but lives out past Purdy several miles.

Elgin-Clifton Road.

I spent alot of time out that way when I was a kid. We had a cabin on the Minter Lagoon. Good memories of the 50s 60s.

We ate alot of oysters and butter clams. All I had to do was go pick them up.

I was out there in Shelton in April. Met this fellow at the Diner in town. Dandy Dave! 

IMG_4153.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Florida has a toll road where they charge by the axle.   We were driving or GMC Motor Home.   It has 6 tires on the ground but the rear suspentiion

is a Bogie (axle) arrangement where the Bogie splits the weight between the front rear wheel and the rear rear wheel.   Florida see's three tires on each site and says it has 3 axles.   Total weight is 12,000 pounds.  We tow a 66 VW Beetle, weighting less than 1800 pounds.   The State see's 3 wheels on the side of the GMC and 2 in the VW and charges us for 5 axles, the same as a 18 wheeler at 45 tons.   our total weoght is less than 7 tons.

If we stopped and unhookrd the VW and drove 2 vehicles, the total tolls woud be a lot less money.   Solution: avoid Florida toll roads.

Fighting the State is a fools errand.

Scan.jpg.0a0454f8386ccc9bf9e79dca0a210243.jpg

• Thanks 1

i have EZ Pass here, both my 1929 & 1930 plates are registered no issues.

have to pay a toll to cross the water (tunnels) around here, plenty of water here on the coast

Never had an issue forgot my transponder several times on way to outing or just a trip to get lunch. get charged the normal tunnel rate based on peak/non-peak hours. 

Paul, MD tolls charge by the axle as well. A car is single axle. Front turning wheels do not count. I used to have a dump truck and pulling a 2 axle trailer through the toll was something like $25. I dont know the rate now but its not cheap for the big boys out there.

We also have a HOV lane that is built in the median. Not quite as long as the one in northern VA but same principle. They have a display board at the beginning and the toll rate changes during the day.

• Like 1