Locations of Forum Contributors

In reference to a previous post concerning the AACA Member Story Ptoject, it seems a little strange that members would volunteer personal experiences and information who won't even list their location (city and/or state) on forum posts, even some with rather anonymous "handles". Quotes like "in my neck of the woods", "around here", "in my town" are much more common than "in the Hartford area...", or Palm Beach, or San Francisco, or even New England, the Deep South, or Out West. 

Even a general location attached to a member's handle would benefit others who may be able to offer assistance, understand a local or regional problem, or  suggest a vendor or service, etc.

If someone were looking for a specific service but did not reference a location (which happens often), why should I bother to respond not knowing if he is in Anchorage, Agusta or Austria?

Many other forums require posters to list a location as a prerequsite to posting. I presume those wishing to retain their privacy could lie and post misinformation, but others looking for helpful replies might be better served by indicating a general or more specific location. 

QUESTION TO MODERATORS OR MEMBERS: Why aren't locations required here? What are the reasons so many are reluctant to even indicate a regional location, much less anything more specific?        Feedback?

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Even a general location attached to a member's handle would benefit others who may be able to offer assistance, understand a local or regional problem, or  suggest a vendor or service, etc.

Agreed!  Locations would be very helpful for many

discussions.  When someone writes, "Gas is $1.99 a 

gallon here," or "We just had 12 inches of snow,"

where is HERE?

More users had their locations labeled, but a software change

maybe 3 to 5 years ago unintentionally deleted them.

Many locations were never re-entered by the users.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

QUESTION TO MODERATORS OR MEMBERS: Why aren't locations required here? What are the reasons so many are reluctant to even indicate a regional location, much less anything more specific?   

How exactly would moderators even police or confirm it?

…not gonna happen. 

Ironic the question comes from someone with an anonymous name and location. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
43 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

How exactly would moderators even police or confirm it?

…not gonna happen. 

I

What's to police or confirm??  Just like a poster's name...who's to say your are Mr. Jones or Sly Smith?? If you say you are in Wyoming, so be it.

35 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ironic the question comes from someone with an anonymous name and location. 

Hey, I'm just as paranoid as everyone else. If they can't find me, they cant get me!!   ...or my old cars!

50 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

What do you consider to be The Great North West?

Oregon, Washington, Montana, British Columbia and parts of Alberta !

Where the buffalo roam and it is not cloudy all day.

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
1 hour ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Hey, I'm just as paranoid as everyone else. If they can't find me, they cant get me!!   ...or my old cars!

I think you just answered the "why" for a lot of hobbyists.

I have been in the hobby a long time. Known a lot of serious and major collectors over the years. A few names I mention from time to time. My dad went to college with Jack Passey's brother in the 1950s, and knew Jack very well. When I was showing serious interest in antique automobiles at an early age, we went to visit with Jack at his place. Jack has been gone for a few years now, and was well known by a lot of high end collectors and hundreds of other hobbyists. The fact that I knew him, doesn't mean much to anybody but me. I have fond memories of wandering freely among his collection. I had permission to open hoods, doors, sit in any car I wanted to. But I never did unless Jack was driving. He trusted me. He also introduced me to other major collectors over the years. That also made me feel good.

I have met, known, and been trusted by numerous other major collectors. I KNOW some of the reasons they do not wish to share their real names, locations, specifics of cars they own? And I ain't tellin'!

Know that there are some good reasons. Accept that. And be glad some of those people are sharing here even if you don't know it.

• Thanks 1

I dont think its relavent for people to have their location listed. Its the nature of a world wide forum, same as using a 'call name'. If someone wants to thats fine.  But do we need another level of administration? If I am posting something that is location related I try to say at least a general area of where something is. If someone really has an interest of specifics they can use a PM.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

What are the reasons so many are reluctant to even indicate a regional location, much less anything more specific?  Feedback?

I doubt that much of it has to do with reluctance,

Mr. Trucker.  When the software deleted all entries

about location, and I pointed it out on one thread, the

typical reply was that people hadn't noticed.

• Like 1

People are funny about that sort of thing...they think by not putting that information out there themselves that they are somehow private or untraceable. 

That's not actually true, considering that the companies you deal with on a daily basis do everything on computer these days...from the grocery store where you get your food all the way to the IRS.  Everything is connected, anyone can be found if someone wanted to enough. 

The fact that you're using a computer or smart phone to access a message board means you can be tracked to exact location you're posting from using the ip address. 

The thing is...nobody really cares enough to do the work required to track you down. There are much easier targets to try and scam, the kind who believes everything they read and that the email telling them they are locked out of some account and they better put their SSN in and send Amazon gift cards to correct it is a real message from the company, those are who they go after. Because people do fall for it all the time. And they send them out to everybody hoping that one will bite. I get on average 8 to 9 emails a day telling me that I've been locked out of my account at some place I don't even have an account with. 

Not putting your name or location doesn't do anything other than make you feel better. 

With that said, I don't give out my home address on the Internet freely. It's not that I have anything to hide, and there are some people who have it and have looked it up, I just am anti social and don't like being near people, or talking to people, haha. (I much prefer the written word such as forums) I have my PO Box publicly posted on several hobby forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Location is not relevant when answering a question like "How much oil do I put in a 1922 Whatsit". If it becomes relevant I will toss in some information. For example I live in Canada, and if I answer a question concerning a model that was made in Canada or sold here I will include that information if they differ from cars sold elsewhere. Will even give my home province (Ontario) and town ( Cobourg) if they seem important.

I wish others would do the same. Even if you have already given out the information, several times, do not expect everyone to remember fine details of the hundreds of posters who frequent the site. If asking a question please give model, make and year of car if this is relevant or your own location if it comes into it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Location is not relevant when answering a question like "How much oil do I put in a 1922 Whatsit". If it becomes relevant I will toss in some information.

I absolutely agree. For probably 90% +/- of posts location is entirely irrelevant. Having said that, when I was in a discussion with a member with a car like mine that was having trouble overheating, I shared my general location (out west—too vague?-OK, the state that looks like a dog’s back leg😉) to compare ambient temps. That made location relevant. Call me paranoid, but with so many scammers, spammers, and assorted ne’er-do-wells, I don’t give out anymore information than is absolutely necessary.

Agree that it doesn’t matter.

I put published my name, town and state in my profile.  Why?  If someone wants my car it would be easy to find:  1-All AACA meets have the owners name, city and town on the windshield cards for everyone to note, or 2-of course Google, or 3-someone could easily follow any of us home or to your motel after a meet or, so on.  Nothing is totally secure.

Looking through my Army days things a few years ago I started laughing when picking up my old “2” sets of dog tags.  Sharon asked what’s so funny?  Reminded her how everyone is constantly told to hold your social security number in extreme secrecy.  In the mid-1960’s our serial numbers were re-issued with our social security numbers by the Dept. of Defense and stamped clearly on the new dog tag.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
2 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Looking through my Army days things a few years ago I started laughing when picking up my old “2” sets of dog tags.  Sharon asked what’s so funny?  Reminded her how everyone is constantly told to hold your social security number in extreme secrecy.  In the mid-1960’s our serial numbers were re-issued with our social security numbers by the Dept. of Defense.

In the 70's, my student ID at the Univ of Mich had my social security # as my student ID.

Different world, different time.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Agree that it doesn’t matter.

I put published my name, town and state in my profile.  Why?  If someone wants my car it would be easy to find:  1-All AACA meets have the owners name, city and town on the windshield cards for everyone to note, or 2-of course Google, or 3-someone could easily follow any of us home or to your motel after a meet or, so on.  Nothing is totally secure.

Looking through my Army days things a few years ago I started laughing when picking up my old “2” sets of dog tags.  Sharon asked what’s so funny?  Reminded her how everyone is constantly told to hold your social security number in extreme secrecy.  In the mid-1960’s our serial numbers were re-issued with our social security numbers by the Dept. of Defense and stamped clearly on the new dog tag.

And your SSN had to be on the face of your checks to have them accepted at the commissary or PX--in those pre-internet days.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Grimy said:

And your SSN had to be on the face of your checks to have them accepted at the commissary or PX--in those pre-internet days.

I'm old enough to remember before SSNs on checks, we entered our service number (in the Army, prefixes RA, US & O) which wasn't so bad because they could be tracked down only by people within the system; when SSNs became the norm I knew it wasn't going to end well...

23 minutes ago, Grimy said:

I'm old enough to remember before SSNs on checks, we entered our service number (in the Army, prefixes RA, US & O) which wasn't so bad because they could be tracked down only by people within the system; when SSNs became the norm I knew it wasn't going to end well...

No problem with that.  Where I was most of the time Charlie had no access to banks or a PX.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

My opinion, If you have to ask then you probably have not been here.

And the general consensus around here is that you should probably stay where you are now.

• Haha 1

RA= regular army (guys that joined)

NG= national guard (doing their basic or advanced training)

US= drafted for two years minimum ( guys thought about heading to Canada ) 

When it was time to head to the mess hall (place they served what was supposed to be food) the Sargent would dismiss in the above order so we draftees always had to stand in line longer. You then had to call out your service number US5481….. in order to enter the mess hall. We had a guy that had a stutter and the Sargent would always make him go first just so it would take longer for us to get in. The guy was pretty smart and eventually figured out if he sang it he didn’t stutter at all.
Things changed after the draft ended as the drill Sargents must have gone nuts trying to figure out who to jump on the most. 
dave s  

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

think my Southside Virginia location is in my sig line, but I don't think it shows up using mobile devices. Doesn't on mine anyway.

A quick google or wikipedia search shows you what part of Virginia is considered Southside. I'm on the outskirts, being right on the VA/NC state line. Literally. I can throw a baseball into NC from my back yard (or used to could anyway).

15 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

57 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

For me that's the Pilbara-Kimberley region in the state of Western Australia. (never been)

Naturally Western Australia is the Great Northwest.

After all, "WA" is an abbreviation for Western Australia

as much as the postal code for the state of Washington!

And Canadians might regard the Great Northwest as

the broad, wide-ranging Northwest Territories...

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Preceded by "Hey! Watch this."

Still laughing while I type.

Has to have the proper modifier: "HOLD MAH BEAH!" 

Unfortunately that stereotype is all too accurate. When you hear a Southerner say that, usually results in a trip to ER.

Not that I know anything about that...

One would think the powers could figure things out better? WA is the postal code for our state of Washington, as well as world wide shorthand for Western Australia? (I have seen that before in forum discussions with our Australian friends.) My state of California's postal code is "CA", however CA is also commonly used to denote Canada.

Our states of Oregon and Washington consider themselves to be the PNW or Pacific North West. Some people include Idaho in that also. Perhaps the "Great North West" includes Montana or even Wyoming? 

Regardless, such things are always relative. If one were in Mexico City? San Diego would be way up North.

4 hours ago, SC38dls said:

We had a guy that had a stutter and the Sargent would always make him go first just so it would take longer for us to get in. The guy was pretty smart and eventually figured out if he sang it he didn’t stutter at all.

Among my many wonderful memories of my life. The antique automobile hobby has allowed me to meet many incredible people. Both major hobbyists and collectors, as well as a few important people in other fields. One of the wonderful people I was blessed to know, was Jazz Great Turk Murphy. For those not familiar with him, he was part owner of a club in San Francisco during the 1950s well into the 1970s. His band played his particular style of Jazz (similar to Dixieland, however he preferred it not be called that!). His numerous recordings were mostly on LPs in the 1950s and into the 1970s, however many of them are still available today on CDs.

I met him through a mutual antique automobile friend, and for the rest of his life, he would call me by name, and we would often chat during breaks at his club

It doesn't appear to be widely known, but Turk had a stutter. It was quite apparent during conversation, but no trace of it when he was singing! He said that that was one of the things that pushed him into professional music. He enjoyed performing, and playing the music! And he especially liked being able to get the words out without the stutter.

Because of knowing Turk, I did some reading on the subject. It is quite common for stutterers to not stutter while singing. There are a few theories on why this? Regardless, Singing is often part of the therapy for those that stutter.

Sorry for the drift.

Back to subject at hand.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Being from Canada I had to laugh when I heard a man from Louisiana refer to some relatives from "up north in Alabama". I guess it's not very funny but it struck me so at the time.

Around here, anything above the Mason-Dixon line is consider to be "up north". Many people around here consider anything above the Tennessee/Kentucky state line to be "up north". I guess it just depends on your perspective. 

Well, When the west seems to begin at the Mississippi River (according to our relatively brief history).

And your wagon train was headed to Oregon. And BC, Or and WA are bordered on the west by the Pacific Ocean.

And these are also north a bit from the "jumping off point" of St Lewis. Which by the way for some reason is referred to as out west. (But if you are here, we think that is silly.)

And its a great place to live.

Its the Great Pacific Northwest.