A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

11 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ed, Interesting perspective. My great friend the late Bill Hamlin of Ontario , Ca. had two Tuckers and would run them on the Ontario Speedway at near 100 mph.

I believe the first one he bought was when it was 3 years old ( because he couldn't find one to buy new) and Bill was an Engineer at Lockheed Aviation so knew a bit about cars and other things mechanically. The engine Tucker used powered many helicopters as well so seem to have proved their reliability.  Perhaps you found the rear mounted engine a bit difficult to maneuver to work on .

WEG

Walt……….I always try to be fair and reasonable. It’s difficult to truly communicate how poorly a Tucker is built. They are really nothing but a prototype………hand built and assembled. The welding on the frames are so poorly done it looks like I welded it after drinking a fifth of Crown. The engine was half assed modified from a helicopter air cooled unit. The transmissions are a mess. In the end, it was just a dream and the car would have never made it. The movie made the cars valuable……….I remember seeing them for little money in the 70’s. Didn’t want one then, and certainly don’t want it today. I know the people who have them are very into them………I rather drive my 15 Ford T.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ed, We will agree to disagree. I have not stated that the Tucker was a perfect car, yes its fame is fanned by legend? a movie etc. But the fact also can't be denied that my friend Bill Hamlin lapped the Ontario speedway in both his cars at close to 100 mph ( and not just one lap, sustained high speeds ) and they didn't fall to pieces , explode, fail to proceed etc. this was in the 1970s.

I totally agree you always try to be fair and reasonable . My comments will end with this as the conversation could go on Pro and Con forever. Do I absolutely love the Tucker? no, but I think it had proved itself of some worthiness at least by what Bill Hamlin could see his do and the one that Lester Schaefer had that I drove and one that is here on long island I have ridden in were/are perfectly fine.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Ed, We will agree to disagree. I have not stated that the Tucker was a perfect car, yes its fame is fanned by legend? a movie etc. But the fact also can't be denied that my friend Bill Hamlin lapped the Ontario speedway in both his cars at close to 100 mph ( and not just one lap, sustained high speeds ) and they didn't fall to pieces , explode, fail to proceed etc. this was in the 1970s.

I totally agree you always try to be fair and reasonable . My comments will end with this as the conversation could go on Pro and Con forever. Do I absolutely love the Tucker? no, but I think it had proved itself of some worthiness at least by what Bill Hamlin could see his do and the one that Lester Schaefer had that I drove and one that is here on long island I have ridden in were/are perfectly fine.

Walt,  did Bill have to do a bunch of re-engineering to make it work that well?   My parents were in California when they were filming the movie and a caravan stopped on the set.  My dad said that 75% of the cars they had did not run at all.

A.J. someplace here I have information that is in letters ( didn't have internet then for communication)  from Bill Hamlin. I don't think he re-engineered the Tuckers he had all that much but he must have done the valves etc as he was an engineer with access to all kinds of equipment so he could fine tune anything. He was a bit of a street rodder and that modifying efforts focused on an original 1934 Reo Flying Cloud coupe he had. The Franklin Olympic and Reo used the same car with an engine swap- Franklin installing a 6 cyl Airman engine in the Reo in the 1932-34 era  to create the Olympic series Franklin.  Bill had his Reo totally stock looking but rebuilt reworked a 32 Franklin engine to have triple carburetors ( flipped the intake manifold over) , plus a columbia overdrive. Stock wheels etc. He told me he used to put on an old jacket and hat and drive the Reo around and young guys in hot rods would pull up next to him and chuckle, then he would nod to them if they wanted to race, they laughed and did, well as they got neck and neck over 60 mph he would drop in the Columbia OD and just walk away from them and they couldn't believe it. Told me he often had to raise the hood to prove "it was just a lowly 6 cyl.in line air cooled engine". He had the last laugh often..........

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Buick is finally going down the road……..still more to do, but this is the first time on the open road with a plate on it. All other drives were around the block. Still not feeling 100 percent since my surgery……..and actually going backwards a bit in the last ten days. Should all be good soon………enjoy.

• Like 25

49 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Wow, that dash is really a work of art!  The car sounds great and really seems to drive well.  How does the rest of the interior look?

Looks like my face.........weathered, wrinkled, and past it's prime. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/15/2023 at 8:49 PM, edinmass said:

The Buick is finally going down the road……..still more to do, but this is the first time on the open road with a plate on it. All other drives were around the block. Still not feeling 100 percent since my surgery……..and actually going backwards a bit in the last ten days. Should all be good soon………enjoy. 

Congrats !

Sounds great - sometimes wish I had my 34-57 back

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

While Ed was away! Phil with the hands like “George the animal Steel” kept busy. Here are a few photos. Enjoy…..

D4BF708A-3928-41C7-B889-23EA44C1E80A.jpeg

26A357C0-BF81-42A4-ADCE-C9CC9AB38FB1.jpeg

F49CFBEF-0617-4D5F-9268-75F2DA8A0917.jpeg

1617A150-81B9-4141-A874-20E98A0D1A7B.jpeg

302701EA-DCE3-4666-8878-663E1246D085.jpeg

• Like 6

Ed, I think George deserves some of that Royal Crown you haven’t been consuming the last few weeks. By the way the picture of you at the convention looks like you have lost a few pounds! Keep it up young man, your knees will appreciate it!  
dave s 

• Like 2

Interesting……no one down here will deal with new friction material for me……so I went to McMaster Carr……..bought everything I needed for an overnight delivery for very reasonable money. Probably less than shipping them out and back, never mind the cost of repairs. So we should be on the road by Wednesday. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting……no one down here will deal with new friction material for me……so I went to McMaster Carr……..bought everything I needed for an overnight delivery for very reasonable money. Probably less than shipping them out and back, never mind the cost of repairs. So we should be on the road by Wednesday. 

It is getting the same way around here Ed. I have my own brake rivet machine and do use it. A buddy needed the linings put on the bands for an old Caterpillar D7 3T series. Cat would not do it for him. I did it. The asbestos scare has no one wanting to deal with this stuff. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’ve used them a lot! The CAD dimension page and specific information available particularly for special fasteners is fantastic! Great resource for many items in my opinion. Glad you could source your material and can get the Buick back together! 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’ve used them a lot! The CAD dimension page and specific information available particularly for special fasteners is fantastic! Great resource for many items in my opinion. Glad you could source your material and can get the Buick back together! 

I too appreciate their detailed drawings... it's saved me money and time over the years by eliminating wrong part purchases. They ship fast too, I usually get my order within 24 hours (as long as UPS does their job).

• Like 4

With traffic down here, and toss in almost no one actually stocks things anyway, they are a fantastic choice to save time and gas money. I also like the fact I am doing the friction myself....much better quality control and material choice. Too many times I have had outside suppliers change the friction material and end up with issues and have to do the job over. 

• Like 4

All I mostly know about Tucker is that Bev Ferreira found his in the basement of the Cliff House in San Francisco and that he allowed it’s use in the movie only if he drove it which he did and that after Bev passed I purchased from his estate sale a tiny crescent wrench, a super long screwdriver, a little SK socket set and a bound ‘early ‘60’s year of Road and Track. I hope some of you had the good fortune of knowing Bev.  

36A51BF4-84CD-4C3C-95F2-2D432651457C.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Shootey said:

All I mostly know about Tucker is that Bev Ferreira found his in the basement of the Cliff House in San Francisco and that he allowed it’s use in the movie only if he drove it which he did and that after Bev passed I purchased from his estate sale a tiny crescent wrench, a super long screwdriver, a little SK socket set and a bound ‘early ‘60’s year of Road and Track. I hope some of you had the good fortune of knowing Bev.  

36A51BF4-84CD-4C3C-95F2-2D432651457C.jpeg

I did indeed have the honor and privilege of knowing Bev--what a guy!  And I bought some of his National Service Data manuals at his estate sale.

• Like 1

As far as the friction, I spoke to local users of McMaster Carr products in the past, and I have driven their cars and found them to work fine. I will post the results here. Also, I am bonding the material, as well as using some rivets. I don't trust just the glue......I have seen it fail on a Duesenberg. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's very different from what you would typically receive for a modern, non-asbestos brake lining.  It's clearly a woven product and it actually has brass wire woven into the matrix.  I believe that's what you can see in Ed's close up photo; the yellow-ish interrupted lines.  I don't have anything to really compare it to on the same car but I can lock up the (rear only) brakes on the '25 Dodge.

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

I will post the results here. Also, I am bonding the material, as well as using some rivets.

This I will be waiting to see.  I had to reline one of the wheels on the 31 Pontiac.  I have the tools but not the knowledge and didn't trust myself to get it right without an instructor on hand.  In the end sent it out to a shop about 60 miles away.  Turn around time was less than 2 weeks and the $200 I considered fair as it included the return shipping.  I'd still like to know how to do it though.

Brakes are done...........fairly straight forward. About three hours and 100 dollars out of pocket. Shipping them out would have cost more both ways, and this way I had control over the parts and materials. Used Pliobond mt-35 glue and then heated it to 300 degrees for 35 minutes. Easy all around. McMaster Carr had everything. I'll probably do them myself from now on. 

First I heated the steel to 400 degrees for three hours to burn off all the oil and grease. 

Used a 3M buffer pad to clean the surface, then a brake rotor non directional finish cookie to make for a better bond. 

69828762544__2702BC91-0A2F-42C1-9FEE-F68A51876F71.jpeg

IMG_9111.jpeg

IMG_9112.jpeg

• Like 5