A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

59 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Built a sand man today, got a bit sunburned. Stay warm up there people! 😎

5660997E-EAC9-4DF3-A530-4A769000E7CB.jpeg

27687929-B94F-46F5-811B-0A0E9E1DA7B2.jpeg

Tell me again about your beach time in south Florida in July and August!  Of course, you have a habit of fleeing to the cool Monterey coast for at least one full week in August...  🙂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Built a sand man today, got a bit sunburned. Stay warm up there people! 😎

5660997E-EAC9-4DF3-A530-4A769000E7CB.jpeg

Ed is this a self portrait or did someone just cover you with sand while you slept?

dave s 

ps Hope I can still get a ride in the great white. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Soooo, we woke up to 50 here in your old neck of the woods. It actually got to 58! I spent the day rolling on epoxy and laying fiberglass cloth on the Gar Wood. It’s now 20 out and going down to 9 tonight. Snowing now and we might actually have a white Xmas!
 I’m glad you were able to make a Sandy Claus even if you got a little burnt!

Give our best to P. and have a WONDERFUL Xmas!

• Like 1

Going swimming at the beach tomorrow morning……kind of a family tradition here for us, with the dog(s). Tropical Christmas is an interesting incongruity compared to the northern climate. Instead of complaining about snow and ice, it’s sand in the car and wet seats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Suppose to get up to 16 F here.  Without the windchill.  I think we are still single digits.  It was 50 yesterday.  Spent all day moving snow and slush around before it froze to a brick.  Then spent over an hour shaping the kids sledding trail I had piled the powder on the day before.   You have to work the snow when you can before it freezes.  If it all works out right,  should be a wild ride for them.

Have to go out and check the pond I built this fall and see how the ice looks and decide wether to try to flood it tomorrow to make a smooth surface.  We were already skating on it,  until the 14 inch snow storm last week that messed it all up. 

Got the snowmobile out and finally was able to pack all the wife's walking trails through the woods.  

Decided I might buy a vintage sled to do it so I can enjoy some kind of vintage motorized activity in the winter. 

I really like this one,  but it's a mutt.  

Close by and cheap enough,  but far from truly original. 

It's the only one of this vintage I have seen.  A few years later,  there are a few. 

Reminds me of something from Dr. Seuss. 

I want slow and steady for packing.  Heard these were great machines for that.

Nothing on the property is over a half mile from the shop,  so It's not like I have to worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. ;) 

275251765_7146316858772844_3916524896792163836_n.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Those old sleds are fun. My buddy had 10 plus snowmobiles.  We would start the day on the oldies staying fairy close to home. So much fun with the throttle pegged, tail out, and leaning to the inside.  The new ones are amazing but I had more fun on the oldies - lots of entertainment for little money and you only needed a couple acres.  Also better for exploring off trail since they were light. 

Jim

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

The big Tucker is only 30 G.  The small one is over 20G and still hasn't met reserve.  Plus the big one is less than 20 miles from here.   If I was serious and had room for a Machine that big,  it would be an easy choice.  That big one,  won't fit over most of my trails though. 

Exactly.  Which is why the little one will bring good money.  You can use it in more places.  Although it looks like it might need a wee bit of money dumped in to it.

• Like 1

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of telling people ""Yeah, I had the Tucker out for a run today". Sort of like thumbing one's nose at some snobs?

I never did manage to get one. But I always wanted a 1910ish Brush automobile. I wanted to arrive at certain horseless carriage tours, walk around a bit and then tell people I "had to go get the Brush off!" (Off the trailer.)

Edited by wayne sheldon
Clarify a thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Intriguing!   Why?

Ben

Anything that says Tucker screams piece of shxt to me.............just from working on them, you will despise them. (The car.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Anything that says Tucker screams piece of shxt to me.............just from working on them, you will despise them. (The car.)

LOL!

I surmise you are referring to the CAR. I have never seen one.  Pictures make them out to be Fugly..   Is the snocat from the same company?

Ben

Just now, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

LOL!

I surmise you are referring to the CAR. I have never seen one.  Pictures make them out to be Fugly..   Is the snocat from the same company?

Ben

No clue on the Sno-Cat..........working on a Tucker car is hard to describe. Its build quality is about half of a Sears go cart. Except the go car will actually run and get you somewhere with a half of chance of making it out of the driveway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

LOL!

Ben

Nope.  They are still making them:

https://sno-cat.com/

The snow cat is better looking,  actually works as it is intended and is made by a functional business.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I use to work on those Tucker Snow Cats at our local ski area. No relation to the car from what I remember. Track parts for the steel track models were discontinued around 30 years ago so good luck finding undercarriage parts. The bearings go bad often. There are 2 on each track section, inners and outer's all the way around. A bad bearing puts excessive wear on the pontoon track hardware. Knowing first hand what they are 20k to 30k is way too much for one in my opinion. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ed, Interesting perspective. My great friend the late Bill Hamlin of Ontario , Ca. had two Tuckers and would run them on the Ontario Speedway at near 100 mph.

I believe the first one he bought was when it was 3 years old ( because he couldn't find one to buy new) and Bill was an Engineer at Lockheed Aviation so knew a bit about cars and other things mechanically. The engine Tucker used powered many helicopters as well so seem to have proved their reliability.  Perhaps you found the rear mounted engine a bit difficult to maneuver to work on .

WEG

• Like 2

The seller on that Skidoo has gone silent.  I told him I would take it if he dug it out and made sure it ran. It's suppose to.  I have a cousin that saw it running this year.  Unfortunately the guy is a collector without enough storage and this one is out in the snowbank I guess.  I don't know if he doesn't want to mess with it,  or just is waiting to reply once he gets it out.  I was going to just buy it site unseen,  and have my Dad pick it up and pay for it.  I told him that upfront.   It's almost 2 hours from here,  but my Dad's truck is actually being worked on right now in the town the snowmobile is in,  so that would work out perfect.  

We'll see if that one doesn't pan out I'll find another.  They are uncommon but not terribly valuable.  Just have to shake the bushes a little. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do alot for my Dad as well.  I'll give him the money when he brings it down plus a couple hundred bucks extra and I told him to tie it in with a trip down here so he doesn't have to make a special trip.  He actually broke the plow on a rock on a cam road and it needs someone better than me to fix it right as it's a V plow.   

I did fix his 47 Ford when he had it down.  Wouldn't run when he brought it down.  Had it running well when it left and all new brakes. 

I'm always ordering and researching stuff for him.  Plus usually give him a load or two of firewood I cut down a year. 

Bought him a 49 Merc coupe exactly like he had when he was 17.  He used it a few years then gave it back when I bought the new house and needed an excavator so I could sell it and buy one.  I didn't ask for it,  he offered it.  

We have a good relationship.  

He will be 82 the end of next month.  Still works 40 hours + a week for the town driving plow truck in the winter plus care takes for a few camps.  He likes having a mission of something to haul. 

IMG_6002.JPG

• Like 7

Good for you to keep him rolling along. A relationship like that is something every kid should have but unfortunately many of us don't get that priviledge growing up. Then we just get to be grumpy old men.  Take good care of him, he sounds like a good guy.

dave s 

• Like 3

Just a funny story:  Perhaps 5 years ago, I was smacked in the head by a very nice gentleman (who I had known for years and he always has my permission to smack me) when I was rusty at "behind the wheel" of a Buick to not be able to figure out how to engage the starter. 

Sidenote:  I will still lean to what you have done with the White and the Buick over what happened to say that 30's Packard Coupe Roadster  pictured on this page -  I have restored far too many cars that while needing it we never drove prior to restoration to find them very short lived in the garage post restoration (to be blunt pretty much hated the way they drove) matched to life happens fast and there are always other fish to fry - rule of thumb with solid unrestored stuff is that if the project cannot be handled in a weekend then .... (ie. keep it together and upgrade over time).  I guess there is a thrill in trying to restore something, but I can take you on the endless garage tour of failed projects one after the next, day after day and week after week = so you want to recreate a wheel that took thousands of people to create in the first place.  Today's project was a new bezel for an ignition switch - you would think an easy project, but nooooooooooooooooo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When you think you have seen everything.........a 1934 Buick is driving around Palm Beach at night..........probably for the first time in seven decades. Fun run in the dark. It definitely needs new reflectors and halogen bulbs. I hate to make the change, but we are planning as using this as an every day car here.........

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

• Like 21

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Sidenote:  I will still lean to what you have done with the White and the Buick over what happened to say that 30's Packard Coupe Roadster  pictured on this page -  I have restored far too many cars that while needing it we never drove prior to restoration to find them very short lived in the garage post restoration (to be blunt pretty much hated the way they drove) matched to life happens fast and there are always other fish to fry - rule of thumb with solid unrestored stuff is that if the project cannot be handled in a weekend then .... (ie. keep it together and upgrade over time).  I guess there is a thrill in trying to restore something, but I can take you on the endless garage tour of failed projects one after the next, day after day and week after week = so you want to recreate a wheel that took thousands of people to create in the first place.  Today's project was a new bezel for an ignition switch - you would think an easy project, but nooooooooooooooooo.

That's why I just refresh stuff now.   That and that restoration tunnel only seems to get longer not shorter.  Even heavy refurbishing ,  with no paint work,  just tending to things that need it,  take far longer than one expects.  Remember most of these old cars were parked because something broke and they were going to fix it.  Often the first thing to break was right close to several other things that were about to break.  

• Like 4

I love it! I used to love night driving my antiques. There was a historic theater in South San Francisco that used to show early silent films most Friday nights. Several friends and I used to drive our antiques up there quite often, and then home in the wee hours of Saturday morning. We often spent an hour or two after the movie at Turk Murphy's "Earthquake McGoon's" club for some wonderful music and dancing!

A couple of the friends lived in Fremont and Hayward (East Bay). So we usually went across the Oakland Bay Bridge and had a late dinner at a 24 hour hamburger place in downtown Oakland! That place was amazingly good! We often arrived there at nearly 2:30 after chatting with Turk at closing time. 

For the friends and I living in San Jose, it was a nearly hundred mile round trip! More than half of it in the dark. So much fun! I really miss those days.

• Like 6

We still have more work to do, but we are getting the itch to start driving it. It will be at the AACA Miami national meet at the end of next month.

• Like 5