A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

Phil with “the hands like George the animal steel” and are out working on a Saturday. As usual. I got a text. And we now we own a new car………. Let the adventure begin……. And  David C eat your heart out! 😎

this is the car we are sorting. And we’re sitting at the bar. We get a text message. And we own a new car. More to follow. 

4C84F38C-5922-4A72-ADDD-40C0FF5F8368.jpeg

4AF07C96-AE31-4400-ACA1-402411CF1483.jpeg

C96E752A-604C-4077-9EDB-36ABAFFEFD80.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

That’s not the car we bought. It’s a side job. We bought another all original unmolested car that’s been sitting since 1952. And the saga continues………

• Like 4

This is in real time, just like the 1917 white. In the next few hours we will drive over in the Cadillac and Phil will get to see the new car he just bought with me. 

• Like 3

Sheesh, ya just gotta keep running into the great deals, don't you!  Oh well....can't wait to see what you are dragging out into the sunshine this time.....

Didn't you know you're not supposed to buy a car when you're drinking, or at night, and REALLY don't buy if you're drinking AT night.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Haha 6

Funny how old cars attract other old cars. I find the same thing with my other hobby, old firearms. You get a random call from someone saying they hear you're into old cars (or firearms) and that grandpa died and left these (items) to them. You just have to check it (them) out and one thing leads to another.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

Funny how old cars attract other old cars. I find the same thing with my other hobby, old firearms. You get a random call from someone saying they hear you're into old cars (or firearms) and that grandpa died and left these (items) to them. You just have to check it (them) out and one thing leads to another.

Reminds me of the story of the fellow several towns over with a Garbage Company, when someone passed on the wife would meet him on pickup day with a collection to get rid of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately there will be a bit of a delay. I won’t be able to pick up the car for about two weeks. It’s another one of those cars I had no intention of ever owning. The current plan is to roll it out at the AACA show in Miami in January. I think we will end up taking three cars.  We’ll know more as time gets closer. Now I gotta go out and buy a bunch of books. This one is outside my field of expertise. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You said that about my Plymouth too. ;) 

It was……….

11 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Hey Ed we haven't had a guess the new car thread in a while.  I think it's time for a new one. 

Sitting since 52 and I'll bet you have it on the road faster than my Plymouth. 

Yup…….Phil and I will pound it out. It’s crazy busy here, and lots of shows in the pipeline. Pebble. San Morino, visiting shops in LA area, and a few tours tossed in. No rest for the poor…….

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, We both like Pre War cars, just wondering if you ever bought a Post War car that was too cheap not to buy and flip. 

Bob 

Not since the early 80’s…….and I only did it to get into my first pre war cars……..had a bunch of neat stuff that the muscle car guys would flip over. Ford’s, Chevy’s, Pontiac’s, Chryslers, no AMC’s. Also hundreds of motorcycles and some boats. I have been buying antique motorcycles lately…………and they are post war, but all over 50 years old.

• Like 2

This one is more for Phil, than myself. 

it’s an open car

8 pistons

tire size - not sure - guess it’s a large 16 inch

chassis length……no clue……mid size car, small for me.

decade of manufacture? 30’s

For me, it passes the test of being very drivable. Modern highway speed capable.

To torture you……….wire wheels, dual side mounts with covers……….

• Thanks 1

We all know somebody like Ed who is well known locally as the wizard of old cars.   People refer other people to him and is seems to us like he's alwatys getting a super deal dumped in his lap.   He's a full time antique auto guy and the rest of us are just hobbiests by comparison.   These guys have done this game full time and I think it's great that the deals seem to find them.  Their reputation is earned by years of hard work and fine cars associated with them.

15 years ago I stopped at the shop of a guy like that, which I'd been friends with for 30 years.  HIs speciality was 1932 Fords.   He told me that his mailman had just been there and told him there was a 32 Ford Roadster in a yard sale not far away.    WE talked about it and he thought that sounds to fishy to be true and asked me if I wanted to check it out.  "Nobody find a 32 Roadster like that"

I went and he was riight, it was not a 1932 Ford Roadster, it was a non running 1980 Shay Replicar of a 1929 Ford Roadster.  $3500 cash and haul!.   I bougth it, detailed it and bought a $50.00 Computer Control Module.   It was pretty, but not the car for me.   Sold it for $8500 and was glad it was gone..   Stuff like that does not happen often enough.

1421283861_ShayF.jpg.6ccccdf88c0340284fff4139306339dd.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Paul…….it’s not about the deal. It’s about the car. I don’t want or need more cars……I have enough cars. I’m interested in rare, unusual, above average performance, and most importantly…….unmolested vehicles. Cars that have not been serviced by modern hack tractor mechanics are straight forward to recommission and sort. No missing parts, all correct hardware, correct fit and finish. On this new one I’m fairly certain that you could count all the known similar survivors on two hands, and probably one. Toss in its “the year” and “the best body style” and it justified our time and effort. When finished it will be kept at Phil’s house. It’s the perfect car for him and the grandkids. It’s good enough for preservation at Amelia or Pebble and would probably make the cut if applied. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, prewarnut said:

Auburn 851?

Fishing in the right waters…….just the wrong fish!

I know the car Ed acquired, my lips are sealed, but a fun acquisition for sure.

1932 Ford roadster (not the car Ed bought, it's something different).  I was set up on the White Field at Hershey decades ago, a guy came driving by with an unrestored 1932 Ford roadster, chicken poop, dust, and all.  Shoe polish on side $2500.  I got there as quickly as I could, but I was  second in line….and missed it.  It seriously sold at that.

Always follow up.  If told of a car, yes, it may turn out to be a bust, but I’ve bough interesting cars following slim leads…

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Paul…….it’s not about the deal. It’s about the car. I don’t want or need more cars……I have enough cars. I’m interested in rare, unusual, above average performance, and most importantly…….unmolested vehicles. Cars that have not been serviced by modern hack tractor mechanics are straight forward to recommission and sort. No missing parts, all correct hardware, correct fit and finish. On this new one I’m fairly certain that you could count all the known similar survivors on two hands, and probably one. Toss in its “the year” and “the best body style” and it justified our time and effort. When finished it will be kept at Phil’s house. It’s the perfect car for him and the grandkids. It’s good enough for preservation at Amelia or Pebble and would probably make the cut if applied. 

My latest project is sorting out all the various problems on a mid 1980's GMC tow truck. One owner unit and all the basic mechanicals are decent. { a working truck so the owner took it to a professional shop for work on the main components }  But loads of haywire fixes on all the small stuff. Usefull thing to have around,  a basic mobile crane as much as anything.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Early thirties Chrysler or Cadillac eight?

I don’t do Cadillac’s anymore for myself…….been there, done that. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I was speaking of the opportunities that come available  I 'm sure you turn down more stuff than most of us look at.   It's because of your     

notoriety!.   Enjoy it, you worked hard for it.   This White is on it's way to Florida, another unmolested original.DSC00199.JPG.a4754e8831d9c8c67a48412127acd090.JPG

• Like 5

Cool truck…….I keep getting offered White trucks…….and I have kept my self control……so far! 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

@edinmass

How do I get a job helping you sort out cars? 😂🤣

A few cases of Crown Royal will allow you to attend the “Edgar the Duce” college of automobile sorting. One case per credit. 120 credits required to graduate…….after all we are accredited! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3