A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

I'm thinking Stutz, Graham, Marmon, Gardner..something really off the beaten trail. It would have to be something good to get into Amelia or Pebble. Ed's not a convertible sedan guy so that's out (probably), thus I'm going to hazzard a wild guess, a Stutz Blackhawk phaeton or roadster.

Yes, my clues stink by design……..ok……..it is NOT a CCCA eligible car………..a new first for me. It’s been well over thirty years since I bought a car that wasn’t a Classic by definition. And as mentioned…..I don’t  do convertible sedans. 

On 7/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, edinmass said:

This one is more for Phil, than myself. 

it’s an open car

8 pistons

tire size - not sure - guess it’s a large 16 inch

chassis length……no clue……mid size car, small for me.

decade of manufacture? 30’s

For me, it passes the test of being very drivable. Modern highway speed capable.

To torture you……….wire wheels, dual side mounts with covers……….

Please ignore my guesses. I missed all these clues.   Excited for you. 

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Excited for you. 

This one is for my trusty helper Phil……….

• Like 4

On 7/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, edinmass said:

Phil with “the hands like George the animal steel” and are out working on a Saturday. As usual. I got a text. And we now we own a new car………. Let the adventure begin……. And  David C eat your heart out! 😎

this is the car we are sorting. And we’re sitting at the bar. We get a text message. And we own a new car. More to follow. 

4C84F38C-5922-4A72-ADDD-40C0FF5F8368.jpeg

4AF07C96-AE31-4400-ACA1-402411CF1483.jpeg

C96E752A-604C-4077-9EDB-36ABAFFEFD80.jpeg

So, you’re sorting out a car at a bar? Seems like you were sorting out your attitude level!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

This one is for my trusty helper Phil……….

Phil is a good guy and he deserves a cool car.  Especially having to deal with you every day.   Although you are a good guy for helping get this.    I hope this doesn't interfere with any work on my car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

AJ....The work on the "old car" is finished. As a matter of fact, Phil says he is gonna miss it when it leaves. 

Ed, your low-res image of the car you're sorting appears to show a 1940 Cad 75 convertible coupe with a 1939 finer-barred grille.  Taillights and fender-mounted lamps are 1940.  In the interests of criticism accuracy, please tell us whether the grille is 1939 or 1940.

• Like 2

George……I have no clue. It’s too new for me to know. It’s a 1940 Series 75 Conv Coupe, and a old CCCA senior that was a decent car till a tractor mechanic got his hands on it. Phil and I have since sorted it out, and it is now running great. The photo was low res as I don’t have permission to post photos……..I will get a front end shot and PM it to you……..as it will be back in a few weeks when the fuel sender arrives. Ed.

PS-Modern is the 1960's.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George……I have no clue. It’s too me for me to know. It’s a 1940 Series 75 Conv Coupe, and a old CCCA senior that was a decent car till a tractor mechanic got his hands on it. Phil and I have since sorted it out, and it is now running great. The photo was low res as I don’t have permission to post photos……..I will get a front end shot and PM it to you……..as it will be back in a few weeks when the fuel sender arrives. Ed.

26.5 gallon tank, IIRC

• Like 1

No to the Chrysler and Hudson above. 

The good news, Phil’s wife gave them Ok for him to have a car…….of course, she complained about it being after the fact. I never have this problem……….having never been married, so I don’t need permission……although my significant other of 25 years often gives me hand signals every time I tell her we have some new garage additions. 

I will be scarce for about ten days with family stuff hitting the fan…….so I will be around, but quieter than usual. We should have photos and video of the car coming out of its hiding place on the 28th or 29th. 

• Like 3

I'm going to take a couple more guesses. How about an open Peerless Master 8 Roadster? It's not a Classic but a heck of a car with Lycoming power. Or...how about an Essex convertible coupe? Hmm...was a Roosevelt an 8? Methinks so. Hope family stuff calms down for you Ed.

Well.... It can't be that Pierce Arrow with that Studebaker manifold with the backward firing order.... Poor old Fred
God rest his soul. Is it a Dobble steam car? Now that has class.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, trimacar said:

Well, in the case of my other thread, a deposit has been placed and an agreement has been made, but final transfer of money and cars has not been made.

If I told what the cars were, the collection could be easily identified and tracked by some people if they so desired, and could possibly talk the owner out of selling to us.  Don't think that would happen knowing the players, but.....

Think that can't happen?  It happened to me when I was living in New Orleans.  Had a friend with a car, I'd driven it and liked it.  Called him one day and said I'd like to make a deal on the car, we agreed to a price.  I told him I'd head over and give him a deposit.  "Oh, no" he said, "we're friends and I know you're good for it, no deposit required".  Meanwhile, I mention the deal to a couple of other people, excited to have the car coming to me.  Next thing you know, one of those guys had gone to the owner, offered him more for car, and the owner cut me out of the deal.  With friends like that, who needs enemas ........

The lesson here is quit bragging. Happened to me once, when I was a teenager. Lost a car I dearly wanted because I didn't keep my mouth shut. Then in my 30's I told a so called friend about a Corvette I was going to buy in the morning, he told a" flipper" that night who screwed me out of it.

Lesson is NEVER EVER tell anyone about a car deal until it's in your hands and paid for. Then wait a week to show it.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2022 at 11:31 AM, Terry Harper said:

I doubt it but maybe Ed has thrown in with them... 

The Vintage Garden Tractor Co - Is it a car? Is it a tractor? The 1938  Minneapolis-Moline UDLX Comfortractor looks like a car as a result of its  exterior but it's actually

I like it! 👍👍👍

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, trimacar said:

Well, in the case of my other thread, a deposit has been placed and an agreement has been made, but final transfer of money and cars has not been made.

If I told what the cars were, the collection could be easily identified and tracked by some people if they so desired, and could possibly talk the owner out of selling to us.  Don't think that would happen knowing the players, but.....

Think that can't happen?  It happened to me when I was living in New Orleans.  Had a friend with a car, I'd driven it and liked it.  Called him one day and said I'd like to make a deal on the car, we agreed to a price.  I told him I'd head over and give him a deposit.  "Oh, no" he said, "we're friends and I know you're good for it, no deposit required".  Meanwhile, I mention the deal to a couple of other people, excited to have the car coming to me.  Next thing you know, one of those guys had gone to the owner, offered him more for car, and the owner cut me out of the deal.  With friends like that, who needs enemas ........

Me too, and I'm still bitter and I do not trust the local HCCA members.  I am in the running to buy a special car presently and I keep it to myself.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Who maintains it...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaNhaR3Cyxh2sdACHCERs

...a tractor mechanic?  :huh:

This Tractor is a Minneapolis Moline UDLX. These were build from 1938 thu 1941. Quite rare and command top dollar today in the tractor market. These were used by the mail service in Canada when the snow was deep. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go…….pulling the car out today……and last night at 7PM got a call from someone who’s car I fixed as a favor last year. He said I need to sell my car……..I said, I don’t buy modern cars……….well, we are now picking up two cars today! More to come…….both will be in Phil’s garage tonight. 👍

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Did Phil (with the hands …..) ever get the Studebaker pickup you both were looking at? Just wondering. 
dave s 

No, tried..........it was gone before Phil could pull the trigger........read that as get an Ok from the Boss............so we resolved that now so he no longer need permission to buy a toy....or two. She can no longer stand me.........and as of this morning she is not talking to Phil. I'm certain after fifty years, she will get past it. Especially tomorrow morning when they drive the 60's car to breakfast. It's a good car Phil and I sorted for the original owner last year. Interestingly enough, it was only 9 driveways  down from my new place I moved to three months ago. And a famous owner from new to boot........not when he bought it in high school but today. Some people here have read his books, as he is a New York Times best selling auther and New York Times film critic. He is often seen on Turner Classic Movies. 

• Haha 1

That’s great for Phil, I’m sure you are right about his better half coming around. Mine of 52 years does the same thing and I just go out to the garage until she calms down. A new old car should make her very happy. 

• Like 2

So Phil’s wife really wants to kill him……..he went from no toys to two cars in a week. Last month we were worried about her reaction…….she has come full circle. Phil has ended up with both cars…….but I will continue to post about it here. As AJ said earlier in this thread…..this car was posted here well over a year ago. Took forever for them to get a title, then family issues caused a further delay. Several people here were asking about it on and off. In the end, back in late June they had decided to auction it in bring a trailer with no reserve and let it fly…………a coupe of weeks ago further issues caused them to call me and say it needed to go now……so I brought Phil over to see it and he fell in love at first sight. Took several weeks to smooth things out with his wife of fifty years…..and he got the ok to pull the trigger. Below is a photo of Phil and the daughter of the second owner……..she has never seen the car move from the garage in all her 54 years……….turned out the rear end U bolts were removed when they pulled the gas tank a decade ago.(Tank went missing.) So we had to do some assembly before we could pull it out. The plan is to clean it up and make it run like the 17 White. If the motor is bad it will be beyond Phil’s ability to deal with it and it will go down the road. I expect it will be fine. So over the next few months sit back and watch it go from sitting since 1952(Inspection sticker is still on the windshield.) and see how it runs and drives………..here is Phil, the second owners daughter, and her husband. The car seeing the sunshine first time in almost 70 years. It pushed easy……and two of the tires went flat in less than half an hour……..

69599F54-7E3D-48C5-9D82-83EB2320EB35.jpeg

74CA8010-42C3-46E8-92E1-EF636E337BEE.jpeg

1D6C2DD1-CA86-49BD-8363-701130047D8E.jpeg

FBDAE768-6C3D-499B-B50A-E4876892BAAE.jpeg

• Like 18

Car was sold new in Hartford Connecticut and the original owner sold to her father in 1950. He drove it to Florida in the summer of 52 and parked it. The daughter was concerned someone would hot rod it as all the locals wanted to toss in a 350 Chevy. She knows Phil will respect it…….and now she will have a chance to drive if when it runs……so she is glad Phil ended up with it.

• Like 6

I tried to give a decent clue but nobody caught it.  We had quite the thread going on this car.   A great example of someone that comes on here looking for help and provides as much info as possible and listens and responds.  As opposed to 90% that make one or two posts and disappear and expect an encyclopedia from us while providing next to nothing themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw,  it is really great that Phil was able to get this car.   The guy has been working his ass off his whole life on other people's stuff and it is awesome he can have something this cool for himself.  As long as he doesn't spend too much time on it when he should be helping me.  :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Yes……Phil has been helping me get cars ready for Pebble for years…….and his only old car was a 20 year old GMC he drives every day. The 68 Mustang went directly to his house since it’s a runner…(It’s now his wife’s toy.)……and it made me Pull my White out of his garage where it was stored since I bought it. Good news is now my White thread will fire back up now that the car is in my garage where I can work on it. I expect Phil will get on the Buick after Pebble.   Here is a shot of the White, Stearns-Knight, and Buick. In the end, it all worked out……….the Buick isn’t a CCCA Classic or a HCCA car………and it was a bit out of my area……..a fantastic car, but not exactly what I have been buying for myself the last forty years. It’s off to a good home……..

9D22E4FA-4028-4BAC-829F-1574D3167489.jpeg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

Is that Buick a '34 or a '35?  What series is it?  It sure is a sharp-looking car!

1934 Buick Series 56C………..”small platform on the mid size” Buick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to take credit for introducing Ed to the awesomeness that is Buick after a ride in the '41 Limited a few weeks ago...

That's going to be a great car. Perfect proportions and enough power to be competent.

• Like 2