A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

Edinmass said "So a rough estimate is that about 7% of all CCCA Full Classics are here in FL." With 6.5% of the countries population, they have only their fair share. It raises the question "Is there a state with a significantly higher share than their population would warrant?" I'm guessing states with a lot of wealthy folks would tend to have high numbers, California, Texas, New York, but their large population numbers might lower their relative share. Since so many CCCA Full Classics surviving are soft tops, I'm also guessing warmer climates might be a factor. Someone with access to the CCCA roster should be able to give us an answer shortly! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Matt

Send me a check…….I have the best one in the world in my back pocket. Full blown custom, with fantastic provenance. The best Airflow in the world. Can’t discuss it in the open. I’ll make you a deal. This is a serious offer if you want the best one……….

I appreciate it, Ed, but you know I have this Lincoln engine to finish...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

We have a friend on the forum here with the Chicago Auto Show car.  I'm sure you might be able to make a deal.

Actually it's a LeBaron Show Car from the 1934 Worlds Fair.........it was up on the stage with The Car of the Dome, The Duesenberg Arlington or "20 Grand", The Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe, and of course...the most important one.......The Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow. Documented provenance with build sheet comes with the car. Anyone interested in it can contact me with particulars. The car hasn't been seen in decades, and is quite a wonderful thing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Actually it's a LeBaron Show Car from the 1934 Worlds Fair.........it was up on the stage with The Car of the Dome, The Duesenberg Arlington or "20 Grand", The Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe, and of course...the most important one.......The Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow. Documented provenance with build sheet comes with the car. Anyone interested in it can contact me with particulars. The car hasn't been seen in decades, and is quite a wonderful thing. 

I was close.  The 34 World's fair was in Chicago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was close.  The 34 World's fair was in Chicago.

Yes, close. Very cool car with fantastic provenance. If I didn't have too many cars, I would want it for my own garage. Big engine, factory overdrive, custom body, auto show car........sounds like what you collect AJ......😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, close. Very cool car with fantastic provenance. If I didn't have too many cars, I would want it for my own garage. Big engine, factory overdrive, custom body, auto show car........sounds like what you collect AJ......😀

Don't start...

Missed this thread somehow but great for Phil.

Perfect combination of a well supported marque yet really great year and body style.  

On CCCA concentration, I had heard PA is an area that yielded a lot of Full Classics because the local economy was better than most of the country during the depression and best years for these cars.  That, along with the rural nature where space was less of an issue and hobby interest fairly strong was a good combination.

I wonder what % of Classics are in the roster though.

• Like 1

Phil has started to "dig in" on the 34 Buick............... he got scared when he crawled underneath it............more to come on that with photos............will update it tonight. Never fear....all will be well. We should know the engine condition by tomorrow afternoon. Ed

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I wonder what % of Classics are in the roster though.

I think the cars on the roster are an important thing, and interesting to give trends and a rough idea. But I don’t think it comes even close to revealing accurate data. I know several people with large impressive collections who do not provide the individual cars into the roster. They have various reasons for doing so.

I doubt even 50%  are in the roster. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Edinmass said "So a rough estimate is that about 7% of all CCCA Full Classics are here in FL." With 6.5% of the countries population, they have only their fair share. It raises the question "Is there a state with a significantly higher share than their population would warrant?" I'm guessing states with a lot of wealthy folks would tend to have high numbers, California, Texas, New York, but their large population numbers might lower their relative share. Since so many CCCA Full Classics surviving are soft tops, I'm also guessing warmer climates might be a factor. Someone with access to the CCCA roster should be able to give us an answer shortly! 

That's a really interesting question.  I don't know if the CCCA roster captures this, but I would guess that the number of CCCA cars in each state is skewed by a few large collections, too.  If some (very lucky) person has 50 CCCA cars and moves from one state to another, they could change the share for their state. 

• Like 1

I had a great friend in Baton Rouge, 1980s, when I was living in Louisiana. The late B.B. Crump, and he had a beautiful building full of all the good Classics…Ruston, Cord, Stutz, Duesenberg, Packard, Pierce, even a Stearns Knight gas/electric car. He had about 50 cars, when ALL the rest of Louisiana MAYBE had 50 or 60 more classics (at the time I owned 6 Pierce-Arrows, half the Pierces in the state).  So, to the point, yes, for poor states, one collector can skew numbers!

As an aside, my wife and I really miss B.B. and his wife, Miriam.  They were great souls, avid collectors, and the best friends one could ever hope to have. From Hershey to Las Vegas and points between, we had a lot of fun traveling with them.

Friendships such as that are what make the old car hobby so great.  Heck, I’m even glad to be friends with Ed!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, trimacar said:

As an aside, my wife and I really miss B.B. and his wife, Miriam.  They were great souls, avid collectors, and the best friends one could ever hope to have. From Hershey to Las Vegas and points between, we had a lot of fun traveling with them.

Friendships such as that are what make the old car hobby so great.  Heck, I’m even glad to be friends with Ed!!

So true !

B. B. was a true gentleman, and Miriam was indeed a gracious and a lady in the truest sense. Their home, as well as the office/collection were exceptional.

That huge car with the engine driving the generator which in-turn powered the electric motor was amazing.

The Locke-bodied Chrysler roadster amazed me with the side entrance to the rumble seat, and auctioned the '52 Studebaker convertible was one my wife even tried to win.

Speaking of collections in Baton Rouge, Estelle and John Copes come to mind, as well, along with their expertise in AACA judging. I was in process of buying their 1924 Buick Model 55 Touring when his collection succumbed to fire.

Speaking of the hobby and friends, David Coco and his family are, and since the 1970s, have been a major part for us, sharing weddings, birthdays, Ides of March jam sessions, and other family functions  almost any excuse to get to visit, eat, and enjoy!

Marty, back at you,the circumstance under which we met had a sad outcome (a divorce) but our friendship is of high value and then some!

I will say Marty has left his mark, every time I walk down our driveway, I see the mark on the asphalt his truck transmission left, blew up right here at our house!  Convoluted from  there,think he used my Suburban to tow his trailer home, came back with my Suburban on a trailer to pickup his truck!

That was the Stearns/Knight I believe, a sleeve valve engine driving a generator. Only one extant I believe, still out there, a greenish paint job back then…

A Crump story.  One time my wife and I were visiting them in Baton Rouge.  He’d just bought a Weymann fabric bodied car, maybe Rolls?  He’d just unloaded it, bought at auction in the day there were no auction results, we had yet to learn what “on line” meant.  He looked at me and said I got a great buy on this car, you’d never guess what I paid for it.  I blurted “thirty two thousand five hundred”.  He stopped and looked at me, how the heck did you know that, that’s EXACTLY what I paid!  I just smiled….it was a wild ass guess…

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, edinmass said:

Wait to you look at the Buick in person.

I agree with you Ed.  The front end, side mounts and hood side panels are more attractive on the Buick as compared to the Pontiac.

• Like 1

Forgot to take photos. Pulled plugs, added ATF, looked around under hood for the first time actually paying attention. Wizard Control……..distributor has vacuum advance, pulled the valve cover, put a bore scope down each hole. Everything looked great. Put a flywheel spanner on the ring gear and gave it a pull, engine turned. We are going to pull the clutch tomorrow if things work out. Splash pans all in place. Radiator looks good. Car has a new exhaust system installed back just before it was off the road……it’s perfect. Still has the sticker on the muffler from the early 50’s. No bad news….YET. Tires are terrible…..they only hold air for ten minutes. Will drop the pan soon. A few curve balls, but it will all work out. More tomorrow.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I could be wrong…….sure looks like a 1932 Cadillac automatic clutch…….I know Buick called it Wizard  Control…..sure is a bunch of vacuum lines under the hood……. The vacuum advance in 1934 surprise me. 

7 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

That reminds me a little of when I first got my 1935 Packard, and I was talking to the shop owner who had worked on it to get it running again.  I told him it would be great to meet up with other youngish collectors, in their 30s and 40s, who had cars like a senior Packard and who drove them a lot.  I figured we could share useful notes, build camaraderie, etc..  He looked at me like I was daft, and replied, as best I can recall:  "Do you think there are a lot of you? Well, there aren't."    (It turned out that there are some, but true, not all that many....)

I can confirm that you are one of a kind! 😇

• Haha 1

It’s just extra weight to balance the car better. Trash it like Matt said and trash the black square box that two cables hook too. Connect the cables together by dumping these two items you will save over 100 lbs giving you better gas mileage and just as good balance. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Does anybody have an idea where this goes?

849830EE-95C1-4BE6-BFA7-97B3F5CD06BB.png

This doesn't even belong on a car. It should be tied to one end of a long chain and the other end tied to a loop thing at the pointy end of a boat.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, edinmass said:

Ed:

Is this the 1934 Chrysler Custom Imperial Airflow Eight Series CW by LeBaron that was Major Edward Bowes' personal car?

Steve

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

I could be wrong…….sure looks like a 1932 Cadillac automatic clutch…….I know Buick called it Wizard  Control…..sure is a bunch of vacuum lines under the hood……. The vacuum advance in 1934 surprise me. 

My understanding is that Buick used the term "Wizard Control" only for 1932, and in 1933 it was called the "power clutch" by Buick, and then disappeared in 1934.

1934 Buicks had vacuum lines, but I think they were for the brake boost, but still, very cool technological engineering efforts.

Phil and his wife are fortunate, even if you gents find major issues, this car is SWEET!

What a lovely blue color...

I really hope you are enjoying this Ed, I imagine its probably quite a fun adventure to see the bottom end of the engine, and the rear, and to sit back and admire such a fine style.

I wish you and Phil the best, may he and you both enjoy the future drives and rides...

• Like 4

Ok……sorry for the delay. It’s been crazy busy here and I’m leaving for Pebble tomorrow. Phil has had time to dig deep into the Buick. To be honest……it was kicking his(our) ass for a while. Took a few days sleeping on it to figure things out and get ahead of it. Basically the engine was gummed up. The oil turned to glue. We were having a hard time turning the engine and couldn’t understand why it was actually binding. We came up with a game plan…….and everything turned out well. We removed the oil filter set up, and pushed three quarts of ATF through the upper oil gallery that goes to the cam and overhead valves. We then pushed three more quarts through the lower end oil gallery. That did the trick. It freed up the engine considerably. We had already oiled the rings, but only slightly. Finally we flooded them…….and presto. Spins fine now. We were very concerned early on. Now we will do the evapo rust block flush at temperature………probably three days or more. The added heat should break down and soften the oil that turned to glue. Had to chisel of the coolant hose between the oil cooler and water pump…..literally chisel it off…….I think it was the factory hose. Oil cooler has your typical rust flakes………and over all everything is going much better. We plan on doing a compression test in a few days. Also, the clutch p, transmission, and torque tube and rear wind will get installed after we clean everything up. The trans will be flushed several times before it’s reinstalled. The only things missing were the fuel tank….it was lost when the last owner passed away after he left it somewhere to get cleaned. I have sourced a good mascot with matching patina, a usable horn trumpet, and a replacement tail light. The ashtray with Sue’s moms butts will stay where they are……..they have been there since before I was born…….here are a few photos. If Phil send more photos to me while I’m on the road, I will keep posting the progress.

3C816C1D-0164-46B9-B9B6-7D601108285B.jpeg

8E9E209B-D13D-432E-AAA0-607559AC9844.jpeg

0EF52614-8EE2-41F2-A847-37B9E9972627.jpeg

90F45CC7-2963-4846-9BC3-34CB8C6E82B5.jpeg

8A813999-A96A-49A3-A0E0-6F2D5D13E2AB.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:50 AM, edinmass said:

Does anybody have an idea where this goes?

849830EE-95C1-4BE6-BFA7-97B3F5CD06BB.png

That is that same transmission top that I needed for the Oldsmobile I've been working on. I see yours has been broken and welded also. If needed I can look up the part number for you Ed. They do interchange between Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac between 1932 to 1937-1938 on some models. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hi, Ed!  What is "broken(?)" in this photo?  Does some type of "Fernco" link these two parts together?

3C816C1D-0164-46B9-B9B6-7D601108285B.jpeg

What is this below?  Oil cooler?

90F45CC7-2963-4846-9BC3-34CB8C6E82B5.jpeg

Inquiring minds want to know...  Thanks!  Greg

4 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Paul, nice looking car. If that’s your shop it looks as if you like the color of your cars to be red and only red! 
dave s 

Guy, since deceased, in our Packard club loved red too. He joked, I think/hope, that he had a 44 gallon (50 US gallons) drum of red paint that he used on all his cars, also on a motorscooter he was restoring.

GW3.JPG

GW1.JPG

GW2.JPG

GW4.jpg

• Like 1

829948608_TurnoftheCentury.jpg.33cb36912b0277e2cff37761826e9995.jpg

19 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Paul, nice looking car. If that’s your shop it looks as if you like the color of your cars to be red and only red! 
dave s 

Dave S,  

Not my shop,   My last red car was my 1915 T Touring, 40 years ago.    Henry Ford wrote to his dealers in 1915 telling them to paint Fords any

color the customer wanted, just sell them a car.   Suggested price was $15.00 to paint a Model T.   It was a $440.00 car and I figured if i could

afford that,  I could afford another $15.00.    In those days (1970's & 80's) antique car shows were all black T's & A's, except the really early ones

and mine.

19 hours ago, SC38dls said:

dave s 

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a photo (see edit history)