A text message while out sorting a car….and another car adventure begins….

edinmass

Those are slight impressions from the clamps. I have brass rivets, but Phil says just run the glue. I was suspicious at first…….with a home done bonding job, but after curing it in the oven, I’m certain I have done a better job with more care than any outside supplier. Like any process, the first time is a learning curve. I had figured it out by the end. Hardest part was keeping it clean from excess glue. I have 85 percent of a can of glue that is unused. Any AACA member may have it for shipping cost……it’s 60 bucks a can, and has a shelf life of six months. I don’t need the rest, and it’s a shame to let it go to waste. The bonding glue was great. I will probably use it in the future for other projects. I have 100 percent faith in its ability to hold. I did some quick investigating on coefficient of friction on the materials, and I’m certain I made the best choice. We will be driving it to lunch today, and new we will actually have safe brakes……maybe a few high speed runs this afternoon. More to come. Crazy busy here with Boca, Amelia, truck & trailer, three total restorations in progress, and the odd toy or two. Seems like it’s 80 hours a week in the shop the last two months……..I must admit, I’m tired. 

UPDATE: There will be a slight delay in the road test...........like two weeks, don't ask why. SHIT!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Robert Street said:

Ed how did you enjoy Fong's Garden over on Dixie Highway!

Robert (DelRay Beach)

I was pulling out of Lenora’s Kitchen. I don’t do “metric”. That’s a flat rate mechanics way of saying Chinese food. 😏

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MikeC5 said:

Nice job!  When those linings need to be replaced, do they have to be mechanically removed or can the assembly be heated to release the glue?

Heat....900 degrees.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

When I was a teenager it was considered redneck and mindless to work on cars. I’d challenge many educated folks to try lining brake shoes. Nothing but mindless tractor mechanics obviously 

I resemble that remark... 😜 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

When I was a teenager it was considered redneck and mindless to work on cars. I’d challenge many educated folks to try lining brake shoes. Nothing but mindless tractor mechanics obviously 

I am fairly well educated (Ph.D.) but love getting my hands dirty.  I admit that many of my colleagues simply don't get it. Honestly,  I  like that they don't get it. More cars for me. 

• Like 3

On 2/18/2023 at 8:43 AM, edinmass said:

UPDATE: There will be a slight delay in the road test...........like two weeks, don't ask why. SHIT!

Didn't you mention something about needing bearings Ed? Most likely new seals also.

19 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Didn't you mention something about needing bearings Ed? Most likely new seals also.

An embarrassing mistake, and with Boca and Amelia there is no time to recover until they after the shows. There is no one to blame except “Phil”!  🥸

To be fair, it was both our fault…………ok, 95 percent Phil’s fault. But I agreed with his diagnosis. Sad part is all we needed to do was look in the shop manual. Interestingly 99 percent of what I service doesn’t have them, so I didn’t look. The lining material is too thick. We actually measured it with a vernier, and didn’t realize the original material had slid and bunched up on the end, giving an incorrect reading. New material is on the way, but there won’t be time for a while. The good news is the bind was fantastic. So it’s just a small delay and 50 bucks worth of materials wasted. Fifty years and still running the learning curve. Bearings and felts were ok. Want to start driving this thing instead of working on it. We are very close. Let a friend take it for a spin without the rear brakes. He was impressed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

An embarrassing mistake, and with Boca and Amelia there is no time to recover until they after the shows. There is no one to blame except “Phil”!  🥸

To be fair, it was both our fault…………ok, 95 percent Phil’s fault. But I agreed with his diagnosis. Sad part is all we needed to do was look in the shop manual. Interestingly 99 percent of what I service doesn’t have them, so I didn’t look. The lining material is too thick. We actually measured it with a vernier, and didn’t realize the original material had slid and bunched up on the end, giving an incorrect reading. New material is on the way, but there won’t be time for a while. The good news is the bind was fantastic. So it’s just a small delay and 50 bucks worth of materials wasted. Fifty years and still running the learning curve. Bearings and felts were ok. Want to start driving this thing instead of working on it. We are very close. Let a friend take it for a spin without the rear brakes. He was impressed.

That Homer Simpson moment. Daahoooo. 🙃

10 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Guess I was/am a mindless redneck and PROUD to be so.

Ben

• Like 2

Ed, kind of like the Jimmy Buffet song - 

it’s nobody’s fault 

it’s could be my fault 

it’s my own damn fault 

wasting away in margaritaville 

It’s biker week at Daytona and soon in key west. I think you should add them to your schedule just to fill it out! 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ericmac said:

I am fairly well educated (Ph.D.) but love getting my hands dirty.  I admit that many of my colleagues simply don't get it. Honestly,  I  like that they don't get it. More cars for me. 

Same here.   I get all of the car questions about new cars.   I have no clue about them.  

19 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Ed, could you consider arcing the shoes the old fashioned way it get clearance to the drums?

Someone somewhere must still have one of those machines.

Possible, but almost all the equipment has vanished, and no shop in the world wants OSHA seeing it. It would be hard to get them perfect, so I will just reline them. No big deal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Today Phil decided to rebuild the carb. We have about 20 miles on it BEFORE we pulled it apart......it was 10 times worse than expected. Car ran decent with the choke partly out......who would have thought?

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9857.jpeg

• Like 6

It's been crazy here, and finally got Phil to put a few hours on it. I actually consider it a car now. We have the ability to use it without worry that it will start or stop. The carb was the last big item on the list.......it will be done tomorrow, as Phil is pushing hard. Never have enough hours in the day........it actually ran ok, and the carb only leaked for the first ten minutes of start up. Go figure.

• Like 2

I have seen worse. Not sure I have ever driven worse?

I did see a 1930ish Chevrolet driven without a carburetor once! They crimped off the end of the fuel line, and aimed it into the updraft intake manifold! No throttle, no choke, no speed adjustment. They tweaked the crimped end to a high idle, and chugged along at about 20 mph in high gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I did see a 1930ish Chevrolet driven without a carburetor once! They crimped off the end of the fuel line, and aimed it into the updraft intake manifold! No throttle, no choke, no speed adjustment. They tweaked the crimped end to a high idle, and chugged along at about 20 mph in high gear.

This was possibly an improved version of the Marvel??? ;)

Jon

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Early fuel injection?

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phil got it all back together, runs great. Good performance all around.........one must marvel at it all........🤩

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

In the last photo, what is the float made of?  Or, supposed to be made of?

Looks like something dug up by the Time Team on the BBC in England from an early Iron Age settlement. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AURktman said:

Looks like something dug up by the Time Team on the BBC in England from an early Iron Age settlement. 

It's a goat turd from the Iron Age dug up near York, by Phil.......of Time Team.

It's also known as cork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Phil got it all back together, runs great. Good performance all around.........one must marvel at it all........🤩

I've cleaned a lot of those Marvels on old farm tractors. Most old farmers have two speeds. Idle and Goooo like the devil. 👺  

• Like 1

So, it’s time to name the Buick. All our cars have names……..two choices:

A - Turd

B -Cork

Let’s have a show of hands……… I vote Turd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, edinmass said:

A - Turd

B -Cork

It's a Corker for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What can one say about a man who is generous, gifted, hard working, and constantly bestowes gifts upon the members here? Our beloved distinguished leader Steve Moskowitz is simply just too good to me. Thanks Steve for another T shirt. I will wear it with pride............

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 3.00.44 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

A - Turd

B -Cork

Ed it can’t be a turd because you can still polish it. No polishing a turd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think it is too neat to be called a "turd". Although a longtime best friend is well known for giving cars similar names. One of his cars was forever known as "the sh!t box". A car I had many years ago was named the "black bomb" by him because it was old faded black and had a disintegrating interior.

Hmm. The Black bomb?

• Like 1