Recent Car Show Obervations

keithb7

Yesterday I made the trek to probably one of the largest car shows in my region. I did not take one of my vintage cars. It was about a 2.5 hr drive each way. I made a last minute decision to go, so I was not prepared for the trip in one of my 1938 cars. I respect that people are into different things. Muscle cars. Resto-mods. Hot-rods. Whatever. To each their own. I like to remember to live and let live. My post here today is a limited view, generalization about the automobiles I saw at the show. 

I will admit that I like old stock cars. Not necessarily original, but stock and maintained. A good old driver is pretty cool by me. My 23 year old son said recently " thats part of the charm of owning an old car. Experiencing how things were so many years ago". I have to agree with him.

I estimate there were 500-ish cars at the show. I went for a stroll basically. I walked past 95% of what I saw. I was in search of old stock cars. They were hard to find.  After some time looking I got a little excited to see a 51 or so Fargo pick up. When I got closer it had a V8.  I moved on looking for other examples. I can't honestly recall seeing more than a couple of  stock vehicles up to 1950 or so.  There were plenty with massive V8's and endless chrome. Manifold risers and blowers. Chopped. Dropped. Bagged. Rat-rods. They were all there in big numbers. Camaros, Trans-Ams, Corvettes, late 60's and early 70's Mopars galore. Dare I say Mustangs? I saw more there than on the TV series Yellowstone. I am sure there must have been a few more stock cars that I am not recalling right now. I must have been overwhelmed with all the bling and horsepower.

Based on what I saw, it seemed clear to me what is very popular. Stock old cars appear not at this period in time.  At least not at that show. I know there are lots of us still out there that appreciate and love our old stock cars. We are indeed a shrinking number. Chrome, HP and torque has always been popular since the earliest hot rods. I respect that.  It's culture carries on.  I suspect younger people are attracted to it. TV shows like Monkey Garage and like, certainly are appealing to a large upcoming generation.

I think my mind was enlightened a little after yesterdays stroll through the show.  It must be very difficult for Vintage Car clubs to keep up their memberships.  I do know that I should have made the trip in one my my '38 Mopars. To show them to the crowds. I calculate that I would have had a great chance to win a "Survivor"  award with my Plymouth.  Or maybe best stock car pre 1950 for my Chrysler. Maybe next year I will plan the trip. Folks need to see these old stock cars and how they were built. Let them see that they are still out there driving today without an LS swap.

Yes, perhaps I am stating the obvious. I’m just sharing my recent experience. I suspect many here can relate. 

I did enjoy this gasser on the portable dyno there. It sounded great. I believe the owner claimed it was a Pontiac. He pulled about 400 ft lbs of torque.

IMG_1908.jpg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I like totally bone stock barn fresh Restored cars are nice but you have to worry about them every time you park somewhere Me I like to drive my cars everywhere park anywhere and not have to worry about a bug landing on it. John 

3495F58D-69B2-4442-A0CE-A8B21682F681.jpeg

DEB91175-F113-4656-8795-1C4F0FC40D45.jpeg

• Like 3

You started off your post by saying that you did not drive one of your original cars. Is it possible that people that have multiple cars, modified and restored/original. Might choose to drive the car better suited for the drive, comfort of modern conveniences. And the one most likely to bring home the coveted plastic trophy. For a class win of best use of chrome. I would not read to far into what was at the show. As a reflection of the entire car scene. Yes the custom, street rod, hot rod side is bigger than the original side. But most of those people have multiple cars. Opening up a yearly AACA show to other cars. And having a strong presence of original and restored cars there will showcase your side. I have been to Hershey twice. Your judging show field is stunning.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My thoughts are that people may want the look of vintage but with the convenience of newer parts that are more generally available.  That idea is very obvious at auctions on TV where the “reso-mod” car gets run up in price because it has an LS engine, custom frame, air conditioning and so on.  All the parts are off the shelf and ready to go. No looking for months or years for parts.

When I had my 1937 Dodge pickup all my car buddies couldn’t understand why I was not making it into a street rod.  I wanted original and it was a slow process finding original parts but worth it to me.  As you said, we all have different ideas of what our ideal hobby vehicle should look like.  I like the kind that look original but occasionally give a nod to those who recreate vintage hot rods or custom cars.

• Like 3

I have all but quit going to car  shows because of this very reason. Virtually all the vehicles are either custom, hot rod , modified in some manner or are just so new as to be right  off the streets! Seems that there is no place for the antiques anymore!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 6

My survivor. You'll kind of see my perspective.

I've been through it. I rebuilt the engine, transmission, clutch, driveshaft, axles. Stock brakes. Foot starter. 6V. Positive ground.  Worm steering. Vacuum wipers. Electrical wiring renewed.  I drive it a lot. The only modern conveniences would be the cell-phone USB charger hidden inside the glove box, and a back-up 6V electric fuel pump. Used for ease of starting and address any possible vapor lock. Which I think I have 100% sorted out. Up here in Canada we have "marked" marine fuel. No ethanol. No road tax. Supreme grade. Same price as regular grade. Illegal to run in an on-Road driven car. Yet there are ways to sneak it in! Indeed I do. 😜

IMG_7089.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the post from the not mine section. This is the Cadillac I bought. Worked with the owner, walked him through the title process. And purchased the car. It was for sale, just like all the cars at that show. No one bought it, for all the reasons stated in this post. You can not be surprised that a person will look at what is the best way to go about getting it on the road. The car had a broken piston, and the wrist pin in the rod cut a slot in the cylinder wall. Block was toast, old worn out parts. What do you do?

971376F5-94B7-4140-9152-9FD5CB9E492C.jpeg

• Like 1

I may get flamed here a little but I understand the attraction of having an old car with modern power, comfort and drivability. Most would say it's the best of both worlds but to me to appreciate an antique car is not just to appreciate the aesthetics. I appreciate the way it drives, stops, shifts, and even smells. I appreciate the technology of the day.

We all know the limitations of many older vehicles regarding power, brakes, steering and the lack of the most appreciated option of all, air conditioning. How many of us actually avoid driving our old cars because of these limitations? I am not advocating upgrading our antique cars for more power, drivability and comfort, I'm just saying I understand it.

Edited by pkhammer
punctuation (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can relate to the original comments, with the exception that I like to look at all cars well into the 70's. I like mustangs, camaros and Trans Ams! But I still prefer a stock'sh version over modified. 

A few years ago I had a 1957 MB 190SL. It was a cool little car, good 10 footer version. It was fun to putt around town with but was far from being a power house. I am not into H/P but do like to know that if I am driving down the road I can at least get out of the way of something. I did not have that feeling driving the little 190. Unfortunately like a lot, some of lifes choices were more important than a 'toy' for pop to have in the garage, and off to auction it went (about 15 yrs too soon I will add 🙄). When the time came for me to get back into the car game I wanted something I would be comfortable with in modern traffic, add to that a car I had always wanted. Hence a 70's vintage fit the bill.  Although I have yet to make a long trip, I am pretty comfortable driving my car just about anywhere. So, there are many different reasons for the cars we own. Even if butchered, any old car is a good car IMO. BUT, I am still not with the camp of modern drivetrain, a/c, suspension etc. If I want that I will drive my wifes mustang. Original equipment is what makes an old car and old car.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jpage said:

I have all but quit going to car  shows because of this very reason. Virtually all the vehicles are either custom, hot rod , modified in some manner or are just so new as to be right  off the streets! Seems that there is no place for the antiques anymore!

Sorry, but that's really a self-fulfilling prophecy. If the people who own older unmodified cars don't take them to shows, there won't be any to see. No, you're probably not going to win a trophy. If that's why one is in this hobby, it's cheaper to just buy yourself trophies. Local shows are beauty contests anyway. The red Camaro convertible with a ton of chrome is going to win. Live with it. Take the car because you enjoy meeting people and sharing the old car experience with them. Chances are most of them have never seen a stock pre-war car in person.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

What I don't understand is somebody taking a perfectly good driving car and turning it into something that is a horrible road car. I have a friend that bought a beautiful '69 Camaro. It was a sweet driver with small block V8 power. He yanked the small block and in went a fire breathing 454 big block that was so souped up it required aviation fuel to run it. It idled at about 1000+ rpm and although it was amazingly fast it was barely road-worthy. This is the type of thing I hate to see and I totally don't understand.

I had a super nice '64 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop for a few years. Fun little car still running it's factory 260 2bbl and 4-speed.  I wish I had a dollar for everybody that looked at it and said, "boy, that car would make a great gasser!". Why are people so quick to take a perfectly good car and turn it into something like that?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

What I don't understand is somebody taking a perfectly good driving car and turning it into something that is a horrible road car. I have a friend that bought a beautiful '69 Camaro. It was a sweet driver with small block V8 power. He yanked the small block and in went a fire breathing 454 big block that was so souped up it required aviation fuel to run it. It idled at about 1000+ rpm and although it was amazingly fast it was barely road-worthy. This is the type of thing I hate to see and I totally don't understand.

I had a super nice '64 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop for a few years. Fun little car still running it's factory 260 2bbl and 4-speed.  I wish I had a dollar for everybody that looked at it and said, "boy, that car would make a great gasser!". Why are people so quick to take a perfectly good car and turn it into something like that?

There's a reason why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Oh I totally get the "it's their car and they can do whatever they want with it" sentiment. To each their own. They can no more understand how I can enjoy a stock Model A Ford anymore than I can understand their desire to own a chopped, tubbed, fire-breathing monster. Funny though how my buddy sold his highly modified '69 Camaro after a short while because "it was no longer fun to drive".

• Like 1

A couple weeks ago I went to a local"Car Show at the Cherolet Dealership.

I drove a stock 1934 Ford V8 with dual exhausts.   There were 110 cars registered with the oldset being a stock, unrestored survivor 1930 Model A

Coupe.   There was another Model A Coupe there too, all original except recently repainted fenders.   Other cas included a 2020 Dodge Durango Hellcat with 710 HP,  several 2020/2021 Corvettes and Mustangs with lots of aftermarket speed equipment, a 1961 Mack Truck Model B, restored.  A restored 1948 Jeep, a restored 66 Corvette, lots of muscle cars with after market wheels and so on.   I enjoyed seeing most of them and often had to explain what a flat head engine was, when I sat with my car.   People were all nice but I was out of place.   I enjoyed the day and think next year I'll take my unrestored/barn find 35 Ford Pickup with chickens in the back.  Pickup trucks seem to be popular too, here in the country.   The $5.00 lunch was good and I did enjoy the people with different interests.   However I did notice most of them were older than my 76 years.   September is the 50th Anniversay of my first 34 Ford and 49th year in AACA.   Still enjoy it as often as possible.  Yesterday we took my Restomod 35 Buick to a car show at a Chrysler dealer

in a town 40 miles away, in Georgia.   Stayed half an hour and headed for a good eatery 15 miles farther away.   Food, was great and we didn't even get rained on,  Saw gas for $4.15.9 a gallon.   Life is good.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

What a beautiful car 

That car was a mess when I got it. Very miss represented by the seller. Could not even fold down the top. Had to build convertible irons from pictures and chrome them. Came out nice. You would never know that I made some of those pieces.🤫

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jpage said:

I have all but quit going to car shows because of this very reason. Virtually all the vehicles are either custom, hot rod, modified in some manner or are just so new as to be right off the streets! Seems that there is no place for the antiques anymore!

Some observations from the heart of antique-car territory:

Ten to fifteen years ago, our local AACA region show would

get close to 300 cars--all antique and unmodified.  You could

see a 1905 Franklin, a 1913 Case, a 1918 Packard truck, a 1926 Nash

roadster, a 1926 Ajax, a 1933 Pierce all in one local show.  It was

a diverse and excellent event.

As the oldest pillars of our club passed on or became inactive,

the oldest cars--and some of the best cars--became fewer.

One member promoted admitting street rods, but that doesn't help.

The show now gets 100-125 cars--some still excellent but overall,

of a diminished quality.  Street rods are few, not really attracted;

but people with the best antiques may be kept away because of

the street rods also promoted in the ads.

My conclusion:  Don't dilute your purpose.  Better to have a smaller

grouping of your focus than a big conglomeration of everything.

Here's a picture of our excellent local show from 2010:

2010 Latimore show overall.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 11

I don't pretend to share an interest in everything and, as a result, it's been at least 3 years since I went to a car show and even then, I only went to see some friends. It's been 6 or 8 years since I went to a show and saw something I felt justified the trip. I don't have the time or the wherewithal to be traveling all over the country to "big name" events and I'll be damned if I pay $150 to get into a "concours" no matter how nice the cars on display are.

The fact is, by 1930 just about everything necessary to make a car go, and go comfortably, had been invented. "Styling", while it think it's an important part of the story, is not everything. A flashy body on a ho-hum chassis is not as interesting to me as a beautifully built machine with a big, square, limousine body. As a result, the local car shows have nothing to offer. But, this has always been part of the picture. Even 40 years ago, when a lot more pre-war cars showed up, there was a not-so-subtle pecking order of what was deemed desirable. I've always found myself on the outside...when pre-war cars were more commonly seen I had (heaven forfend) a completely unrestored "closed car." Now, when that sort of car would be widely touted as a "survivor", the pre-war cars have been effectively squeezed out. This has a great deal to do with the organization of local shows where the organizers are thinking about receipts. If you recruit 100 1960s and 70s cars at $25 a head, that's a lot more money than 30 pre war cars. That the earlier car enthusiasts no longer care or come is hardly noticed.

The early cars haven't gone away. does anyone think they have been junked because they no longer come to shows? Someone owns them and they are not all in their 80s and 90s. I'd be perfectly able to go to a show if there was one in driving range worth going to. As an example, one of my friends, a gentleman in his mid-50s, has a nice, unrestored 1920 Cadillac but none of the local shows appeal to him.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

...As an example, one of my friends, a gentleman in his mid-50s, has a nice, unrestored 1920 Cadillac but none of the local shows appeal to him.

I think you're right, J.V., and that may be part of the

reason for shows' decline:  If the show isn't good, or

is highly populated by street rods, the best cars don't

come out.  That's all the more reason for keeping our

shows to AACA standards, I think.

Another reason:  Do people think tours are appreciated

more than car shows these days?

Car people in general view original cars as harder to replace. That I think is another reason for the decline. The nicer a car is condition wise. Equals more time and money spent on it. That is a reason for a decline in quality showing up. If it is only original once. And your car wares it’s original paint. Seeing someone hovering above your engine bay with a snow cone in one hand. And a dripping buttered pretzel in the other, looking at your fender/running board as a place to sit. Might make anyone think twice about bringing an original car out for the masses to view as their right to touch for their $12.50 entrance fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that tours are for the participants...much like holding a show that isn't open to the public.

I feel a bit of a hypocrite here because I haven't the time or energy to get involved with running a car show and I'm not sure how one would go about it in any case. The fact is, virtually ALL of those great cars we saw 30 or 40 years ago are still out there. The last local show I went to that was worthwhile had two ALCOS, a Simplex, a brass Peerless and an H6B Hispano Suiza as well as a wonderfully preserved 1916 Vauxhall Royal Flying Corps tender. None of these came back the next year. I know the Vauxhall belongs to a collector that lives quite close to the venue...but he didn't come back.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Car people in general view original cars as harder to replace. That I think is another reason for the decline. The nicer a car is condition wise. Equals more time and money spent on it. That is a reason for a decline in quality showing up. If it is only original once. And your car wares it’s original paint. Seeing someone hovering above your engine bay with a snow cone in one hand. And a dripping buttered pretzel in the other, looking at your fender/running board as a place to sit. Might make anyone think twice about bringing an original car out for the masses to view as their right to touch for their $12.50 entrance fee.

I can't remember when that wasn't the case, except that cars in original condition were largely looked down on. I clearly remember the first time I saw a car with little stanchions under the wheels holding a rope so no one could approach it. Everyone I knew (except the owner) was offended by that. It was a Hudson and the owner claimed "1905" which was really a stretch since Hudson went into business in 1909.

The last brass car I saw at a local show was very nice...but it had been placed near the front of the show and the pop "music" playing through stupendous speakers was so loud you could barely think, much less carry on a conversation without shouting.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are some shining moments for the stock vintage car lover. Just a lot less. 

I saw these  cars below at a small local show last week.  I spent a good amount of time with the Model T owner. Asking lots of questions. I learned a ton about Model Ts that day. I’m grateful. I met a new Mopar contact. For me it was a worthwhile show to attend. 

I agree with the comments about who car show organizers are catering to. Once motivated  by money, you pretty-well know who they will be attracting. 

9F1BF61A-B48A-4BC0-B170-5448E0E5E7F2.jpeg.10de5fac855b21a45658676029b92ae7.jpeg
1926 Model T 

BA841DF2-0F09-4FBC-9D70-AD0ED9515357.jpeg.44b4ee8132f65ecaca79f211b57119fd.jpeg

1935 Dodge

22493A73-F0D1-4AB3-BCC2-8337D772476F.jpeg.fb25538f60b58e5608085480f34d80a2.jpeg
Ford Model A

• Like 1

Went to a local cruise in/car show this past week. The crowd sure got a lot older looking since Covid!  Lot's of resto mods for sure and late model cars with big wheels and wraps. Still a few nice oldies to check out.

My best smile of the night was when a mid 80's Porsche 928 owner left his hood up to show off the replacement LS Chevy engine! Sometimes the LS swap crowd isn't my thing but this was cool. I'm a former 1986.5 stock Porsche 928 S  owner, so I get the reason for the swap!

• Haha 1

California is a car guy's dream state, but there is little activity featuring early cars. I've been to the Petersen Museum many, many times, and it is the best I've been to. The Blackhawk Collection, the California Auto Museum in Sacramento, are pretty good and I've been to a few Concours. The Pebble Beach stuff is too expensive to attend. We had a good Friendship Day put on by the Mid Peninsula Antique Car Club, as well as Pacific Coast Dream Machines where you would find steam engines and tractors as well as a vintage fly in.  Covid put a dent in that activity. 

It took the passage of a lot of years before I began to appreciate old stock condition cars. I think that part of the decline of interest is that old cars have just gotten too expensive for a casual hobbyist. The older cars are not suitable for freeway driving and I don't think that most of the younger generation want to putter around at 40 mph. The oldest car that I drove consistently as my daily back in the late '70's was my 57 Cadillac. I personally can't imagine driving anything older than that.

It seems like the popular groups are '50's cruising machines, 60's -70's muscle cars, Hot Rods and Customs, Lowriders, late model Muscle, and Import Tuning. 

I don't doubt that those good old restored high end Classics are out there, but they must stay in the garage. That's really a shame.

• Like 1

I started a weekly cars and coffee every Sunday morning a few years ago to try to recruit new members to our local region AACA club.  I was one of the youngest at now 64 and frankly I could see that we could not remain viable if we didn't get some younger members.  After five years we have about 100 or more cars every nice Sunday and though I still try we have not been able to recruit one new member.  Frankly there is no reason to belong to a club, you can go out every night of the week to a cruise somewhere.  All my cars are 100% original, I have 4 show cars and 4 nice drivers, again all original.  Out of a normal day like this morning with 100 cars we may have had 10 cars that were not modified in some way.  Everything from Rat Rods to Restomods to classic hot rods even some race cars that should not be on the street.  There are countless reason for this change in what people want to own and why original cars are not in favor and all of them good as far as I am concerned, you should buy and own what you like and enjoy.  Probably the biggest reason for the proliferation of custom cars is the availability of "crate engines".  They are cheap by comparison to having an engine built, most have a warranty and there has developed a huge industry to support the installation.  Anyone can build a "Rod" today.  

I'll keep trying to recruit new people but I suspect that our region will be gone by the end of the year, sad.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

Frankly there is no reason to belong to a club, you can go out every night of the week to a cruise somewhere. 

When organizing activities, I try to think of things

that people wouldn't see unless they joined our club tour.

In just the last few years, we have:

---Visited Nicola Bulgari's collection of 200 cars in Pennsylvania,

seeing restoration work in progress;

---Met Jay Leno backstage for a half hour before a comedy show

and insightfully discussed cars;

---Visited friendly Irenee duPont, who holds an unacknowledged

world record of long-term car ownership (86 years and counting)

and lives on a 500-acre estate.

But we need to get our car show back to its former excellence!

Car club 2017 Summer Tour Granogue (14).JPG

Leno Show Shippensburg 2018 (3).JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Yesterday I made the trek to probably one of the largest car shows in my region. I did not take one of my vintage cars. It was about a 2.5 hr drive each way. I made a last minute decision to go, so I was not prepared for the trip in one of my 1938 cars. I respect that people are into different things. Muscle cars. Resto-mods. Hot-rods. Whatever. To each their own. I like to remember to live and let live. My post here today is a limited view, generalization about the automobiles I saw at the show. 

I will admit that I like old stock cars. Not necessarily original, but stock and maintained. A good old driver is pretty cool by me. My 23 year old son said recently " thats part of the charm of owning an old car. Experiencing how things were so many years ago". I have to agree with him.

I estimate there were 500-ish cars at the show. I went for a stroll basically. I walked past 95% of what I saw. I was in search of old stock cars. They were hard to find.  After some time looking I got a little excited to see a 51 or so Fargo pick up. When I got closer it had a V8.  I moved on looking for other examples. I can't honestly recall seeing more than a couple of  stock vehicles up to 1950 or so.  There were plenty with massive V8's and endless chrome. Manifold risers and blowers. Chopped. Dropped. Bagged. Rat-rods. They were all there in big numbers. Camaros, Trans-Ams, Corvettes, late 60's and early 70's Mopars galore. Dare I say Mustangs? I saw more there than on the TV series Yellowstone. I am sure there must have been a few more stock cars that I am not recalling right now. I must have been overwhelmed with all the bling and horsepower.

Based on what I saw, it seemed clear to me what is very popular. Stock old cars appear not at this period in time.  At least not at that show. I know there are lots of us still out there that appreciate and love our old stock cars. We are indeed a shrinking number. Chrome, HP and torque has always been popular since the earliest hot rods. I respect that.  It's culture carries on.  I suspect younger people are attracted to it. TV shows like Monkey Garage and like, certainly are appealing to a large upcoming generation.

I think my mind was enlightened a little after yesterdays stroll through the show.  It must be very difficult for Vintage Car clubs to keep up their memberships.  I do know that I should have made the trip in one my my '38 Mopars. To show them to the crowds. I calculate that I would have had a great chance to win a "Survivor"  award with my Plymouth.  Or maybe best stock car pre 1950 for my Chrysler. Maybe next year I will plan the trip. Folks need to see these old stock cars and how they were built. Let them see that they are still out there driving today without an LS swap.

Yes, perhaps I am stating the obvious. I’m just sharing my recent experience. I suspect many here can relate. 

I did enjoy this gasser on the portable dyno there. It sounded great. I believe the owner claimed it was a Pontiac. He pulled about 400 ft lbs of torque.

IMG_1908.jpg

What you got there is a 39 Pontiac. Now a lot of us Pontiac guys would tell the owner at a show "nice Chevy" And if you are going to modify a Pontiac, use a Pontiac engine.  There are a few guys in my town that have Gassers, Henry J's and Willys and a 55 Chev 150, all of them Chevy powered. It's interesting that they say they are going for that nostalgia look but when my dad and I were drag racing in the 50-60's we would see plenty of 392 Hemi's and 394 Oldsmobile engines in gassers.

Photo: Stone Woods & Cook Swindler II Bruce Larson Dragfest 2006 #22  (2).JPG | stone woods & cook album | VincePutt | Fotki.com, photo and video  sharing made easy.Built With Speedway Motors: Chris's 1941 Willys Gasser

That 39 Pontiac has a BBC;

image.jpeg.7fe68a959a9a67856ce1277ecc87c080.jpegimage.jpeg.4c8063aff53a3b9839e35c653f219f24.jpeg

Ah, much better a real Pontiac!

89508572.jpg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I'll ever enter another show; by far, the biggest reason is: I don't like sitting still that long. To me, cars were meant to drive, and that's where my pleasure comes from. I've been to a couple shows where I just parked my 70 year old "driver" in the spectator parking lot. It's different with less formal events, like the local steam & gas shows where the old car corral means convenient parking! But, having to be there half the day, sitting around in a hot parking lot, listening to loud rock, with the net benefit of maybe a couple good conversations? It's just not a good use of time for me.

Now, I look at the photo that John S posted and I think, "yeah, I'd drive 2 hours to see that!" And if there's room enough for my 30-footer, sure, I'd join in. Then, there is this: the last time I was tempted to enter a show I owned a bone-stock, plain-Jane 74 International pickup. There was a 73 Travelall in the show already. When I went to enter I was told 1) it would cost me $40 for the privilege even if I just wanted to stay a few hours 2) I couldn't come in, anyway, because the cutoff date was 1973. I drove around the corner, parked it in the spectator lot, and handed them five bucks at the gate.

This weekend someone contacted me seeking a stock car from the 30s, in running condition, for a documentary shoot. Aside from model A's, I couldn't think of anything that fit the bill among my circle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I'm not sure I'll ever enter another show; by far, the biggest reason is: I don't like sitting still that long. To me, cars were meant to drive, and that's where my pleasure comes from.

^^^THIS! I go to shows for the people. I don't enter judged classes. The most fun I've ever had with my car is driving it on Hot Rod Power Tour in 2019.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

A couple weeks ago I went to a local"Car Show at the Cherolet Dealership.

I drove a stock 1934 Ford V8 with dual exhausts.   There were 110 cars registered with the oldset being a stock, unrestored survivor 1930 Model A

Coupe.   There was another Model A Coupe there too, all original except recently repainted fenders.   Other cas included a 2020 Dodge Durango Hellcat with 710 HP,  several 2020/2021 Corvettes and Mustangs with lots of aftermarket speed equipment, a 1961 Mack Truck Model B, restored.  A restored 1948 Jeep, a restored 66 Corvette, lots of muscle cars with after market wheels and so on.   I enjoyed seeing most of them and often had to explain what a flat head engine was, when I sat with my car.   People were all nice but I was out of place.   I enjoyed the day and think next year I'll take my unrestored/barn find 35 Ford Pickup with chickens in the back.  Pickup trucks seem to be popular too, here in the country.   The $5.00 lunch was good and I did enjoy the people with different interests.   However I did notice most of them were older than my 76 years.   September is the 50th Anniversay of my first 34 Ford and 49th year in AACA.   Still enjoy it as often as possible.  Yesterday we took my Restomod 35 Buick to a car show at a Chrysler dealer

in a town 40 miles away, in Georgia.   Stayed half an hour and headed for a good eatery 15 miles farther away.   Food, was great and we didn't even get rained on,  Saw gas for $4.15.9 a gallon.   Life is good.

Paul remember to contact in a year to get your 50 year pin!

• Like 1

I too prefer a stock antique car and always have. I have really never been attracted to resto-mods, hotrods and customs for some reason. I understand why some people like them, but other than installing seatbelts for safety sake, I'm not a fan of turning old cars into something else. It could be because I have always been a student of history and appreciate antiques and the history behind them. 

We have Lead East coming up this summer here in northern NJ and I plan on going, but I know it's going to be something like 90% hotrods, gassers, resto-mods, freaky stuff and custom cars. Cars like that are fun to look at, but I'm not interested in owning one. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I have taken the 38 Studebaker to the local cars and coffee monthly get together a few times. When I do it seems more people come up to me especially with kids in tow to say “ my folks had one about….” or “kids when we were young grandpa had ….” 
I usually tell them they can sit in it or the kids can and I’ll use their phone to take a picture for them. It’s a daily driver not a show car. Sometimes there’s even a waiting line.
My suggestion is if you have a local C&C get a couple of your old car friends to dust off the antique car and go!  The response may just surprise you and possibly generate some interest in a younger person to get into the hobby. The unique look of the older stock (pre 60’s let’s say - no offense meant just my opinion) was probably a factor in many of us getting into the hobby, so share that as much as possible. Many of the people that stop, even just to look quickly, have walked by a number of muscle cars that look 95% the same. Why did they stop at my car? Simple it either brought back memories or was unique in what they were seeing. Get more antiques into local shows it will only help the AACA and the hobby.  
I just stepped down from the soap box, please don’t throw rotten tomatoes at me. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I have taken the 38 Studebaker... It’s a daily driver not a show car. 

Dave, that's great!  For someone to use a 1938 Studebaker

as his regular car every day is worth an article in some magazine. 

You surely know that car well--its strengths and its limitations.

Sometimes we hear that the oldest cars don't get to shows

because of modern traffic in their area.  Is yours suitable for

all kinds of traffic, or just local roads?  I agree that more antiques

should get out to car shows.