Recent Car Show Obervations

keithb7

14 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I have taken the 38 Studebaker to the local cars and coffee monthly get together a few times. When I do it seems more people come up to me especially with kids in tow to say “ my folks had one about….” or “kids when we were young grandpa had ….” 
I usually tell them they can sit in it or the kids can and I’ll use their phone to take a picture for them. It’s a daily driver not a show car. Sometimes there’s even a waiting line.
My suggestion is if you have a local C&C get a couple of your old car friends to dust off the antique car and go!  The response may just surprise you and possibly generate some interest in a younger person to get into the hobby. The unique look of the older stock (pre 60’s let’s say - no offense meant just my opinion) was probably a factor in many of us getting into the hobby, so share that as much as possible. Many of the people that stop, even just to look quickly, have walked by a number of muscle cars that look 95% the same. Why did they stop at my car? Simple it either brought back memories or was unique in what they were seeing. Get more antiques into local shows it will only help the AACA and the hobby.  
I just stepped down from the soap box, please don’t throw rotten tomatoes at me. 
dave s 

I do the same thing with my 1940 Chevy at our monthly local C&C. The car always gets a lot of looks and I always do my best to answer their questions. Usually only 1-2 pre WWII cars show up. Like you, I always offer to let people look, touch and sit in the car and take pictures, especially the kids and more senior folks. 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

John, I’ve taken the 38 on four or five 4-500 mile trips. I try to avoid interstates but it will run at 60 all day long and do 70-75 if needed but that does stress it after a while. I did run a number of laps on the indy track. Hagerty had a show that allowed us to run the track afterwards. My 38 and about 50 muscle and high end sports cars. I waited to be the last car in line. They had a lead and trail car for safety. First lap at 60, then 75 then I don’t know as I maxed out. Did 17 laps and on the last one a Porsche 911 was sitting in the middle of turn 4 the rest of them were coming down the back stretch. I moved to the inside to pass the Porsche when the driver stuck his hand out the window and waved bye bye. I think he was going into turn 1 when I finished turn 4. So now I was at the head of the line. Never got lapped and got an award for being the only driver that never lifted. LOL.
So yes, it can run at reasonable speeds if I have to go on an interstate but again I try to avoid them. It’s 84 years old 9 more than I am to the day according to the build sheet so I’m sure it’s going to outlast me. I just hope the next owner has as much fun with it as I have. 
dave s 

edit note - if it blows up I’ll have something to work on again. It was fun the first time so I can enjoy it again if necessary. It is a good strong engine so I don’t think I have to worry too much. Besides I’ve met Ed and he helps everyone that needs it. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here in CT, which is a realtively small state there are plenty of shows that more or less focus on unmodified cars.

Klingberg, general show but prewar always gets preferential location.  Essentially a casual concours for prewar cars.

Belltown, they use a cut off that may be rolling, not sure.  Modifieds get parking across from the main field, are not judged and represent 10% of the show.

Lime Rock Fall Festival, show day is another casual concours, and specialty parking by marque.  Really VSCCA focused but some great cars of all types tend to show up.

Fall Fairfield AACA, HCCA meet, well managed 

A host of marque specific meets as well which is also a venue not covered in thus thread.

Open house type events, Dragone's recent Iron Range meet a good example of that.

We tend to just pass on shows where unmodifieds are a small minority and things like cruise nights.  No judgement, but just not that interested.

For something different, went to a truck meet over the weekend.  Dad loves the big iron.  Even found a couple goodies in the swap! 

The right events are there but you may have to turn over some stones...

20220626_080626.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Where I am, in the San Francisco East bay area, there seems to be a lot of old cars but not a lot of old car shows -- of any kind.   I get why there are a lot of old cars:  It's a great climate to drive an old car 12 months out of the year, and there's no salt on the roads so no rust.    But I'm not sure why there aren't that many shows.  Maybe it's just too packed around here, with every square inch filled up with something, so the driving isn't easy and it's hard to find a place with a lot of parking for shows?   I don't know. 

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The Old Car Festival, the weekend after Labour Day, at Greenfield Village in Dearborn attracts 800 pre 1933 vehicles.  They   do not accept modified ones except for a few period correct speedsters or race cars. and a person must apply and be accepted.  Pick your show where you would fit in the best and because it is a festival, there is open driving and car games.

Regards, Gary

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

How many years old were the cars you walked past while looking for old cars?

Chopped. Blown. Chromed out. Fleck paint. Tubbed rear ends.  Pick any year you like. From 1938 to 1988. Too many years to accurately say. 

I’m pretty sure my post was clear.  I was was interested in stock vehicles.  Not just old cars.

To each their own. Not my thing. No malice intended. 

• Like 4

There is a small local cruise night only a couple of miles from my home. It's the typical mixed bag of restomods, baggers,and newer stuff that you'd see in any Walmart parking lot. The reporter for the Dorchester Signpost is usually there. I was amused to see my "survivor" '40 Packard coupe featured in the latest edition. It must have left some of the noise and rumble set with their noses out of joint. The old Packard impresses people with it's understated class and whisper-quiet engine. To me, those are the signs of a quality build.

Proceeds from the show (it's a whopping $5 entry fee) go to support MS research. I can certainly back that.

Austin pickup.JPG

A & W show 2 2022-05-24.JPG

1946 Lincoln Continental convert..JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 4

One of the places I really like to go is a cruise in which is about a 45 minute drive. Located at a crab house rest. Once a month but was cancelled yesterday much to my disappointment. Its a good ride, Im friends with the organizer so I get to see my 'bud', no fee and good food! What more could you ask for on a Sunday afternoon drive. Big show coming up this weekend I will probably wait until 7 am sat to decide if im going or not.

What are the other 1,936 makes 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Yes. I am spoiled with two stock 1938 Mopars. 

• Like 1

We in the Vintage Touring Association of Alberta have several car shows with pre-1932 original cars only, however, it is only when we stop to eat. Otherwise we are cruising the countryside at 30 or 40 mph.

IMG_2189.jpg

• Like 10

21 hours ago, SC38dls said:

John, I’ve taken the 38 on four or five 4-500 mile trips. I try to avoid interstates but it will run at 60 all day long and do 70-75 if needed but that does stress it after a while.
So yes, it can run at reasonable speeds if I have to go on an interstate but again I try to avoid them. It’s 84 years old 9 more than I am to the day according to the build sheet so I’m sure it’s going to outlast me. I just hope the next owner has as much fun with it as I have. 

Your '38 was built two years before the PA Turnpike was opened in 1940 with a 70 mph speed limit.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4Hud said:

We in the Vintage Touring Association of Alberta have several car shows with pre-1932 original cars only, however, it is only when we stop to eat. Otherwise we are cruising the countryside at 30 or 40 mph.

IMG_2189.jpg

Now that looks like fun!

• Like 1

Car shows are boring and mostly filled with tri five chevies and mustangs. The cars that interest me typically aren’t at these shows:

Pre War

1940s

Luxury Cars like Imperial

mid-late 70s cars

80s cars

These cars are harder to restore for various reasons and typically are not worth as much as the more common stuff. Also it is a boomer controlled market for classic cars still. 

I haven’t been to a car show in many many years except ones run by the clubs I’m a member of. And even those are rare and far between. 

28 minutes ago, MarkV said:

Car shows are boring and mostly filled with tri five chevies and mustangs. The cars that interest me typically aren’t at these shows:

Pre War

1940s

Luxury Cars like Imperial

mid-late 70s cars

80s cars

Wes, you should visit the annual Hershey show.

I don't know where you're located, but you'll find

the diversity you seek.

Our local show has had a smaller sampling of such

diverse excellence, but not as much in recent years.

Here are a few interesting examples from our 2010

local show--a 1905 Franklin (next to a Nash-Healey

convertible), two Packard trucks (1918 in the foreground),

and a 1926 Nash roadster:

1905 Franklin.JPG

1918 Packard USArmy truck.JPG

1926 Nash roadster.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On June 5th the local ( western long island ) AACA Greater NY Region had its annual car show at Old Westbury Gardens. Perfect location as it has a early 20th century mansion and grounds that can be viewed. It had been years since I attended with or without a car - the past several due to recovery from surgery. A former student picked me up in his 1968 Pontiac Tempest and it was a really nice day/event. I am not into awards,judging etc but this club is and I can appreciate that as a possible attraction to some car owners. There was about a 70% post WWII era attendance the rest pre war. Nice mix, from "very unrestored" to trailer queen quality. GREAT TIME. When I did bring a car in the past I never had it judged - as mentioned I avoid awards , There were some street rods but very few , maybe 3 or 4 . Good to be out and about again. And thanks to the GNYR for all their effort to be the host.

• Like 5

I could type fifty pages……But I shall restrain myself.

Last week the Pierce national meet in California had 40 cars and three days of touring. It was both hot and cool. Flat and very hilly. Slow and fast roads. The majority of cars were PRE 1929…….unusual for a PAS meet. We usually see more post 1929 8’s & 12’s. It was a great change up. Also, there were no major problems with any of the cars on the tours…….all minor things not worth mentioning.  Yes, you can drive stock cars reliability……like Tom & AJ running the great race last week in a stock small 1939 Packard……and they didn’t have any problems either. Fact is the new generation of car collectors think you have to modify it to use it……nothing could be further from the truth. Yes…..it’s work to make early cars reliable……..once you get there, they are EASY to maintain. There is no mystery to it………it just needs to be explained to the new generations.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Fact is the new generation of car collectors think you have to modify it to use it……nothing could be further from the truth. Yes…..it’s work to make early cars reliable……..once you get there, they are EASY to maintain. There is no mystery to it………it just needs to be explained to the new generations.

Ed yes but that is also a convenient excuse.  A lot of these hot rod guys are older than we are, they must know a sorted car will perform at least as well as when new.  Prewar cars are rarely driven for long periods on unpaved road and often get hyper maintenance.  I think a lot of folks have ahh, different taste..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

you can drive stock cars reliability

THAT is the TRUTH. Get the car well sorted the first time around and then it is general maintenance for decades . I drove a 1931 Franklin for decades thousands of miles ( usually the trip every year took 3 1/2 plus hours in 80 degree heat one way to even get to the start of the week long event) in the early 1970s as a break from teaching over the Easter holiday week I drove my 1941 Packard 120 woody wagon from long island to Valley Falls , Rhode Island to visit Bill's junk yard for something to do/see. it rained most of the way and the doors swelled up!  Cars can be used , they were when they were new.

• Like 5

On 6/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, keithb7 said:

Yesterday I made the trek to probably one of the largest car shows in my region. I did not take one of my vintage cars. It was about a 2.5 hr drive each way. I made a last minute decision to go, so I was not prepared for the trip in one of my 1938 cars. I respect that people are into different things. Muscle cars. Resto-mods. Hot-rods. Whatever. To each their own. I like to remember to live and let live. My post here today is a limited view, generalization about the automobiles I saw at the show. 

I will admit that I like old stock cars. Not necessarily original, but stock and maintained. A good old driver is pretty cool by me. My 23 year old son said recently " thats part of the charm of owning an old car. Experiencing how things were so many years ago". I have to agree with him.

I estimate there were 500-ish cars at the show. I went for a stroll basically. I walked past 95% of what I saw. I was in search of old stock cars. They were hard to find.  After some time looking I got a little excited to see a 51 or so Fargo pick up. When I got closer it had a V8.  I moved on looking for other examples. I can't honestly recall seeing more than a couple of  stock vehicles up to 1950 or so.  There were plenty with massive V8's and endless chrome. Manifold risers and blowers. Chopped. Dropped. Bagged. Rat-rods. They were all there in big numbers. Camaros, Trans-Ams, Corvettes, late 60's and early 70's Mopars galore. Dare I say Mustangs? I saw more there than on the TV series Yellowstone. I am sure there must have been a few more stock cars that I am not recalling right now. I must have been overwhelmed with all the bling and horsepower.

Based on what I saw, it seemed clear to me what is very popular. Stock old cars appear not at this period in time.  At least not at that show. I know there are lots of us still out there that appreciate and love our old stock cars. We are indeed a shrinking number. Chrome, HP and torque has always been popular since the earliest hot rods. I respect that.  It's culture carries on.  I suspect younger people are attracted to it. TV shows like Monkey Garage and like, certainly are appealing to a large upcoming generation.

I think my mind was enlightened a little after yesterdays stroll through the show.  It must be very difficult for Vintage Car clubs to keep up their memberships.  I do know that I should have made the trip in one my my '38 Mopars. To show them to the crowds. I calculate that I would have had a great chance to win a "Survivor"  award with my Plymouth.  Or maybe best stock car pre 1950 for my Chrysler. Maybe next year I will plan the trip. Folks need to see these old stock cars and how they were built. Let them see that they are still out there driving today without an LS swap.

Yes, perhaps I am stating the obvious. I’m just sharing my recent experience. I suspect many here can relate. 

I did enjoy this gasser on the portable dyno there. It sounded great. I believe the owner claimed it was a Pontiac. He pulled about 400 ft lbs of torque.

IMG_1908.jpg

Keith,

I note that you call Western Canada home-can I inquire where? It's a pretty big place. Friends from BC usually travel south of the boarder for their car fix, unless there is a designated marque event scheduled for north of the boarder. If you had headed south of the boarder last weekend you would have been able to see what one of our large events looks like, the Greenwood cars show in Seattle. There must have been close to 1000 cars, more then half of which were unmodified. 

I agree that the PNW is a Mecca for the unmodified car. Because of the climate our cars just last longer here then most places. The tendency to maintain as original is regional. It's based on the number of good survivor cars being available and the climate that makes for pleasant touring without the need for air conditioning.  

On 6/26/2022 at 5:03 PM, Rivguy said:

California is a car guy's dream state, but there is little activity featuring early cars. I've been to the Petersen Museum many, many times, and it is the best I've been to. The Blackhawk Collection, the California Auto Museum in Sacramento, are pretty good and I've been to a few Concours. The Pebble Beach stuff is too expensive to attend. We had a good Friendship Day put on by the Mid Peninsula Antique Car Club, as well as Pacific Coast Dream Machines where you would find steam engines and tractors as well as a vintage fly in. 

I agree totally. I'm a historic racing fan and have been to Monterey almost every year since the vintage races started in '76, and although I also like classics and have visited many museums, I've never been to Pebble. It's ALWAYS been too expensive: $425 per person this year! Used to be you could see a lot on Thursday when the "Tour" would stop in Carmel for lunch but that hasn't happened since Covid. The movie "American Graffiti" was filmed in my town and they have a big car show to commemorate it every year. I took an unrestored '25 Chevy this year...almost no one was interested. 

I made that mistake about Pebble Beach for years, too expensive and a jacket and tie were required dress, then my oldest daughter bought two tickets as a Fathers Day gift and we went for three other years. Everyone has $900.00 worth of junk in and around the house to sell and come up with ticket money. This fall is 52 years in a row for me at Hershey, but I think of Car Week, Carmel and Pebble Beach every day of the year, if you like cars, get there. 

• Like 1

Took the '25 Buick to the local cruise show tonight. Although it stuck out like a sore thumb, it didn't generate much interest (as expected). Still, it was nice to let it stretch it's wheels for the first time in ages.

As to the new stuff, no thanks. To quote our old friend Hughie "They depreciate faster than a saucer of cream left out in the sun" !

A & W cruise 2022-06-28.JPG

1925 Buick at A & W cruise 2022-06-28.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 7

My wife is not into cars but she went with me a couple of weeks ago to a 'cruise night'. There was a couple of dozen cars, I parked walked around a bit only to realize everyone had their own cliques. Stayed for a bout 5 minutes then moved on down the road and went to dinner. It was nice to get the car out and blow the dust out of the exhaust though.

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

An interesting thread. As a 60 year old who has shown 55-57 Chevys and 67-69 Camaros for about 40 years almost all of them were bone stock and the two I currently own are totally stock.

While I've only been an AACA member a few years I'm concerned about the West Coast scene. My local chapter, with very nice people, has an average age of 80. They have a monthly meeting and a tour period. The shows here in Nor Cal cater to the street rods with Goodguys headquarters here.

Lately, cars & coffee events have blossomed. Just had one at Laguna Seca with 1200 cars !

AACA, has to rethink their mission or they will not survive in the West I think. Gotta have restored, unrestored, modified, and custom classes at the show. Also, a display only / cars & coffee type class too. In addition, I don't think local chapters want to step up as they think/perceive that National won't help and that they will "drain" their treasury if they host the Western Nationals. (This is what I hear when I ask at events up and down the west in the past few years when I find an aaca member)

I really liked the 2022 Western show, but was so completely disappointed that there were fewer than 100 total cars, which for the most part were excellent quality I might add.

How do we get the Western chapters to get "fired up" to host a Western show every year? I was flabbergasted that there was no announcement at the 2022 Western awards dinner about the time and location of the 2023 event. I'm pretty sure at this point there won't be one and I'm not too confident about a 2024 show.

I'm really disappointed that the Western chapters each just do their own thing and have basically given up on the National AACA.

Sorry to vent but it's how I feel.

Can you give me some hope for an annual Western National show?

Thanks,

Brian