Missing cars still thought to exist.

BobinVirginia

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The car still exists, in a very private collection along the east coast. I can’t remember if the body was Holbrook or Judkins. It’s very sexy.........and parked next to a bunch of cars that can only be described as “pre war world class”.

Edinmass, you’re the first person I thought of when I saw this topic. Too bad some of these cars never see the light of day, or are seen in public.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, E-116-YH said:

I have been involved with 1928 to 1932 Dodge Brothers automobiles since 1974 and I have not yet seen or heard of a 1932 Dodge DK-8 convertible sedan. According to "The Dodge Story" Dodge manufactured 88 of these beautiful automobiles.

This should be an interesting thread.

Studebaker also made a handful of convertible sedans in both Commander and President models in 1938 & 1939, with very low production numbers for both years.  A couple of 1938's survive, but so far, no 1939 Studebaker convertible sedans have been accounted for.  Another Studebaker where there are no survivors are the 1937 Suburban station wagons from 1937-39, with the wood bodies by U.S. Body & Forging.

Craig

• Like 1

Dunno if it's legendary or thought to exist, but 1931 Model A Ford Traveler's Wagon:

oo1931FordATravelersWagon.jpg

oo1931FordATravelersWgn2.jpg

An offshoot of the Station Wagon and Special Delivery, it included folding bed and wash pan, storage chest, and water tank under the roof (the fill spout can be seen on the exterior pic.  Unlike the Station Wagon, it had locking doors and roll-up windows in the front doors.  The side and rear windows had fixed screens with curtains on the inside.  Less than a dozen produced - the legend is they went to South American explorers but who knows?  There are a few reproductions but no known original survivors.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 5

This car came up on the Chicago area Craigslist a few years ago. Son selling a father's car. It had a Buick chassis but could be rebodied with a large car body. Price was $10,000. I really wanted it but got no reply from a few inquiries to the seller. Missing as far as I know and someone must have kept it existing. Anyone know of its existence?

I would still be interested.

00U0U_67p2QHeJBa1_1200x900.jpg.b96a914df6197a26b6d7a1af6b39f0d7.jpg

00808_5rQ0lxsvDDc_1200x900.jpg.6f45672ce8c8ff72793b26b1353397e8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

James Dean's Porsche has been rumored to be around for years.

Four-Speed Gearbox From James Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder Is For Sale

A transaxle that is reputed to be from Deans Porsche was recently sold on BAT, for $382k. If it's not the real thing, then someone made a terrible mistake. If I remember the stroy correctly, I believe the transaxle, as well as some other parts, were seperated from the wreck before Barris wound up with it, and what Barris had is still supposedly missing. Lost on a train, if I recall the story everyone tells...

Edited by JCHansen1 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Ed

Am interested in your comment about the Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe. Back in the early 1950's, a fellow by the name of Hoffmann bought some acreage next to ours. He worked at the LA Times and on weekends would drive his only car, a 1934 Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe, down to Fallbrook with his wife to spend  the weekends. He claimed that it was the Worlds fair car and said you could tell the difference between it and a production car by the rear quarter windows (I don't remember if the fair car had a division in the glass which would allow half of the glass to open, or if it was the other way around. He also claimed that it was titled as a 1933). 

I remember one weekend when he arrived, I went over to check the Cadillac (normal procedure as I always did when I saw it comming up the road) and noticed that the beautiful banjo steering wheel had been  replaced with an ugly plain one. When I asked what had happen, he told how one day while at work, someone tried to steal the wheel. They could not get it off but managed to destroy it in the process, and the only wheel he could find that would fit was the plain one. Everytime I saw Mr. Hoffmann, I would tell him how much I liked his car and wanted to buy it. The answer was always the same, sure, "I'll keep it for you and you can buy it when you get your drivers license". We moved in 1954 and it would have been 1956 or 57 with drivers license and money in pocket fron after school and summer jobs I made contact again to check up on the Cadillac. "Oh, I had no idea you were interested in it" was the reply when asked. "Sold it about a year ago, don't remember who I sold it to but I think it went to Canada". I have not seen or heard of it until your comment. Where was it in 1971? Also, did Cadillac make more than one of this body style or was Mr. Hoffmann confused and his was the only one?  

• Like 1

I have no clue if it is the same car.........that said, there is scholarship on the actual show car and a few semi customs done at the same time from what I understand. The supposed real show car was last seen in the Detroit area owned by a gentleman who’s last name was obviously Polish. There seems to be agreement that it was there in 1971 and disappeared............I have never pursued or made inquiries as to the story from old timers......and can only comment on discussions that I have been involved with over the years on V-16 Cadillac cars. I suspect the rumor is based in truth..........and I think that if the car still exists it would be very difficult to hide unless absolutely no one was allowed to see it........and the owner would have to be able to not tell a single person about it.........so the odds are slim it survives. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, alsancle said:

Our own John Mereness thought he saw this car twenty years ago in pieces.   This may still be somewhere to be found.

1931 Reo Royale Victoria Custom Convertible, Factory Photo.jpg

What car is that? There’s a lot I don’t know about prewar era cars. Thanks for all of your great pics and cars of interest! 

14 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Dunno if it's legendary or thought to exist, but 1931 Model A Ford Traveler's Wagon:

An offshoot of the Station Wagon and Special Delivery, it included folding bed and wash pan, storage chest, and water tank under the roof (the fill spout can be seen on the exterior pic.  Unlike the Station Wagon, it had locking doors and roll-up windows in the front doors.  The side and rear windows had fixed screens with curtains on the inside.  Less than a dozen produced - the legend is they went to South American explorers but who knows?  There are a few reproductions but no known original survivors.

Very cool! I changed my opening statement to interesting rather than legendary. I should’ve clarified that the cars can be legendary to the individual not necessarily to the car hobby at large. Thanks for sharing and I’m enjoying every vehicle story that’s been added! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

So supposedly they had the chassis with the # on it.  Similar to Jay Leno with his coupe.   It is a good view.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

The one you have all seen before is The Stutz Schumacher Special,  there were a number of articles written in the 90s wondering where it went.  

SchumacherMotorMagazine1935_web.jpg

I saw this in Ed and Johns shop this past summer. I can take you right to it. 😁 Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JamesR said:

Here's the story of a missing (or, more correctly, misidentified) car that was eventually found.  I've mentioned this before...I'd encourage anyone who likes history to subscribe to Mark Felton's channel. I'm not really a WW2 buff, but his presentations seem to be pretty well documented and very engaging.

I remember seeing one of these cars in the mid to late 1970's in a carnie side show at the Rhinebeck Fair. Cost 50 cents or a Buck to see it. It had broken windows like this and was claimed to be Hitlers car. Who knows? Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

What about the Eldo concept car?

EldoConcept.jpg

I wonder if Joe Bortz has some info on it.  It could have ended up in Warhoops yard like some of the other GM concept cars he rescued did.

Craig

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I can't open the photos and the reposting ones later will not allow me to copy. Some time in the late 1960's I found the cowl inner rear fenders and the drivers door window regulator for one of these OR the more common Station Wagon deliveries. I sold the regulator to a fellow with a real factory bodied one, think he said there were six known to exist. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I remember seeing one of these cars in the mid to late 1970's in a carnie side show at the Rhinebeck Fair. Cost 50 cents or a Buck to see it. It had broken windows like this and was claimed to be Hitlers car. Who knows? Dandy Dave!

Me Too! It showed up in Richmond, VA in a carnie type event. Early 70s IIRC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I can't open the photos and the reposting ones later will not allow me to copy. Some time in the late 1960's I found the cowl inner rear fenders and the drivers door window regulator for one of these OR the more common Station Wagon deliveries. I sold the regulator to a fellow with a real factory bodied one, think he said there were six known to exist. 

Try here for pix: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

The Traveler's Wagon is basically the Special Delivery with added camping equipment.  There are a few original Special Deliveries, six sounds about right. 

oo1929FordASpecialDelivery.jpg

(Despite the caption on the above pic, both were 1931 only)

Everything I've seen says there are a few reproduction Traveler's Wagons but no originals.  But who knows?  Both share the cowl with the Station Wagon but it has curtains rather than roll-up windows.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’m learning a lot today. What car is this?

It was a one-off 1932 Lincoln Twelve KB convertible coupe by Brunn for a Mrs. Hornbeck of Rochester, NY.    What contributes to the design magnificence are the full-length, over-the-cowl hood, integrated hood upper surfaces sweeping past the windshield to form the upper surface development.  The concealed top panel tapering into the tail panel in harmony with the rear fenders.    A centered wind-split accents the rear deck surface.  Details such as the gracefully curved hood side panel sweeping in the coach sills, displayed freely by the dismissed side-mounts, a jaunty rear-mounted spare enforcing the sporty aura.  Further, the rear fender-running-board integration in harmonious reflection of the front intersection, clean, polished wheel-disk covers to complete the overall theme.  Nothing extraneous, a designer's design. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1