Missing cars still thought to exist.

BobinVirginia

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

if the car still exists it would be very difficult to hide unless absolutely no one was allowed to see it........and the owner would have to be able to not tell a single person about it..

"The car is in the front of the barn and I piled the wood from a couple of trees for splitting. It is too hard to go in the back way and get through the stuff. As soon as I get the wood moved I will open the front door for you." Quote from the summer of 2005. The wood ain't moved yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Kingsley said:

The Silhouette was stolen out of a parking lot at a motel the night before a car show in the mid 60s and was never seen again. The car was completely hand formed. Image is a screenshot of my Hot Wheels examples. 

Screenshot_20220314-161118.png

I used to get it, and the Beatnik Bandit mixed up because both had bubble tops.  As well, both the Sihouette and Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit were first issue 1967 Hot Wheels releases.

Craig

• Like 2

How about Frank Lloyd Wright's 1929 Cord L29?

Story goes the car was never fixed, after the 1933 crash.  The fenders were pulled around so it would drive, (rumor was he did not have the money to repair it).  Supposedly it was sold to a farmer in Iowa, pushed into a barn and has not seen the light of day since...

November 13, 1933 Crash, he was known to drive extremely fast.

b.jpg.1e074c52ac7eb72df55974e80c1f5a8f.jpg

This picture is from 1938 you can see the spare tire is missing and the fender is still bent from the accident

1018510853_1939big.jpg.a1d701d3815a937660277428f3c54473.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I could only find a 1933 but don’t know what differences to look for?

The picture above is the one and only 1933. It had the 4 tier bumpers.

The production 1934 Aero's had the Bi-Plane bumpers like the production 1934 LaSalle's and Cadillacs.

After 1934 the bumpers where flat one piece bumpers as on the 1935 Cad/LaS.

The 1933 Radiator shell looked more like a standard 1933 Cadillac.

The production Aero Dynamic Coupe (1934-37) radiator shell after the 1933 prototype looked like the 1934 LaSalle radiator shell. Tall and Narrow.

Observation: You can see how the 1934 Chrysler Airflow fast back coupe stole some design features. The bumpers and the fast back design.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

The picture above is the one and only 1933. It had the 4 tier bumpers.

The production 1934 Aero's had the Bi-Plane bumpers like the production 1934 LaSalle's and Cadillacs.

After 1934 the bumpers where flat one piece bumpers as on the 1935 Cad/LaS.

The 1933 Radiator shell looked more like a standard 1933 Cadillac.

The production Aero Dynamic Coupe (1934-37) radiator shell after the 1933 prototype looked like the 1934 LaSalle radiator shell. Tall and Narrow.

Observation: You can see how the 1934 Chrysler Airflow fast back coupe stole some design features. The bumpers and the fast back design.

That’s what I was trying to figure out. I knew the body difference between the coupe and aero but, I didn’t know what made the 34 Fair car unique. I searched photos but didn’t know what details to look for. Of course all photo descriptions are accurate on image searches! 😂😂 In broad terms I knew the body type but not details of that specific car. Thank you for sharing that knowledge! 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

Moving a little more modern, this seldom-seen little '72 AMC Gremlin prototype, known as the GremBin still exists... I was in its presence a few weeks ago. Neat little three-seater with a cool story to tell...   

grembin.png

• Like 2

That's what I like about this fourm, so much information comes together here. From the charts I see that there were 8 of the Aerodynamic Coupes made so Mr. Hoffmann was correct, his was not the only one. I do not recall it having the airplane style bumpers but, just being a kid interested in cars, I was more interested in what was under the hood, the dash panel and the overall shape. Never thought of keeping pictures or making note of the name or number on the horn button.

• Like 2

This is hiding in central Michigan and was half done twenty years ago..........sixty years in the same family. It’s on my list to own some day..........and I have managed to land every car I really was gunning for except one.....

Sorry......just did the math, it was 31 years ago........shit, I’m old!

64F3EA3A-E59F-40BA-8B85-923A6DEA91CC.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, BobinVirginia said:

That’s what I was trying to figure out. I knew the body difference between the coupe and aero but, I didn’t know what made the 34 Fair car unique. I searched photos but didn’t know what details to look for. Of course all photo descriptions are accurate on image searches! 😂😂 In broad terms I knew the body type but not details of that specific car. Thank you for sharing that knowledge! 

The "Century of Progress Chicago Worlds Fair" One off 1933 Cadillac Aero Dynamic Coupe was shown at the 1933 year of the Fair. 

The Fair was extended the following year (summer till fall) of 1934. I don't know if the 1933 Aero Coupe was shown at the 1934 Century of Progress plus 1 year of 1934 or not??

• Thanks 1

Here is the Caddy everyone is looking for.......call me if you find it, I’ll make it worth your time.

0BCF69AE-0AB5-4D8E-9DD6-354AB6143E79.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JCHansen1 said:

Moving a little more modern, this seldom-seen little '72 AMC Gremlin prototype, known as the GremBin still exists... I was in its presence a few weeks ago. Neat little three-seater with a cool story to tell...   

grembin.png

It’s like having a flaming case of herpes.......don’t tell anyone you have it! 😏

Actually I like it...........”the car, not the herpes!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Difficult to believe such a magnificent, gorgeous automobile could simply disappear:

'32 Lincoln KB Convertible Coupe by Brunn.jpg

You never know. Some wife or offspring pissed at the old mans junk and sent it to the scrap yard. Stupid stuff happens. 

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

This is hiding in central Michigan and was half done twenty years ago..........sixty years in the same family. It’s on my list to own some day..........and I have managed to land every car I really was gunning for except one.....

Depending your mood could both front and back seats be accessed with the door opening either way?

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

It’s a really cool car.......and the door looks like a Diebold bank vault door..........you can turn both handles when you push a button, and the entire door just pops off the car........all five hundred pounds of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The L29 Speedster is one that just baffles me. No reports of changing ownership and not reported stolen? How does a car that high profile just vanish? What theories have any of you heard? 
I understand the 34 Aero Cadillac changed hands a few times and could’ve been lost. I’m hoping both these cars still exist in private ownership hidden away so the owners won’t be bothered. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, alsancle said:

This hasn't been seen since before WWII.  So I'm "hoping" it still exists.

Cadillac-Voll-Ruhrbeck-V16-Small.jpg

It was likely captured as a spoils-of-war like the Prym family's Mercedes Benz was.  I bet the current owner is very tight-lipped about it now, if that is the case as the Prym family successfully had theirs returned to them:   https://forums.aaca.org/topic/280538-1935-mercedes-500k-stolen-by-american-service-man-returned-to-owners-family/   The heirs of this car's former owner could demand it returned to them, should it surface.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Which one were you unsuccessful at procuring?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Any details about that car you can share? 

Yes,  I paid 150 buck for that photo, so that is the highest res scan I'll post so people aren't finding it on facebook and emailing it to me as a "discovery".

It is a V16 Cadillac with Voll & Ruhrbeck coachwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Yes,  I paid 150 buck for that photo, so that is the highest res scan I'll post so people aren't finding it on facebook and emailing it to me as a "discovery".

It is a V16 Cadillac with Voll & Ruhrbeck coachwork.

I don’t blame you a bit. Beautiful car. 
I gave up on fakebook many years ago. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

You never know. Some wife or offspring pissed at the old mans junk and sent it to the scrap yard. Stupid stuff happens. 

" That old car? We had the junk man tow it away while you were in Korea. I thought you'd want a new car when you got home." A friend told me that one.

I had four lesser cars vaporize between 1967 and 1971.

Just too many people expecting some level of maturity in others. A real problem all my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just remembered finding an unknown car! A coworker told me his mother in law had a Rolls Royce, so I went to look at it. NOT FOR SALE, it was given to the late father in law by the owner he had been chauffeur for. In a one car garage, covered in old lawn chairs and household crap, cats from the cat lady had free access to it. I managed to lift the hood and get the ID numbers. Called Dave Domidion and asked if he could find out what it was. It was not in the Rolls Royce registry, a missing car! It was the New York City dealership demonstrator, a 1931 Derby or Ascot. Garage was right in the center of Stamford, Ct. just down the street from the headquarters of the WWF wrestling headquarters, and a half mile or less from I95. 

Bob 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just remembered finding an unknown car! A coworker told me his mother in law had a Rolls Royce, so I went to look at it. NOT FOR SALE, it was given to the late father in law by the owner he had been chauffeur for. In a one car garage, covered in old lawn chairs and household crap, cats from the cat lady had free access to it. I managed to lift the hood and get the ID numbers. Called Dave Domidion and asked if he could find out what it was. It was not in the Rolls Royce registry, a missing car! It was the New York City dealership demonstrator, a 1931 Derby or Ascot. Garage was right in the center of Stamford, Ct. just down the street from the headquarters of the WWF wrestling headquarters, and a half mile or less from I95. 

Bob 

Bob, that’s right down the street from a 1912 Pierce that was parked in 1940. Still sitting in the same spot in the garage. Same family since new. Money won’t buy the car……..they have too much of it. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fargoguy said:

Which one were you unsuccessful at procuring?

Hunted, and found after 17 years of looking. Offer made to purchase, and refused. Ended up selling for less than I offered. New York Auto Show car, 1932. Sold new in Connecticut………last seen in Hartford for sale $125 dollars in 1952. 

You can’t win them all……but you can try! There is more to the story…..someday.

F6E99929-C09B-4D5A-9571-BB84F1559A49.png

229C82F6-685C-46D2-A566-6ED5BC441E2A.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hunted, and found after 17 years of looking. Offer made to purchase, and refused. Ended up selling for less than I offered. New York Auto Show car, 1932. Sold new in Connecticut………last seen in Hartford for sale $125 dollars in 1952. 

You can’t win them all……but you can try! There is more to the story…..someday.

F6E99929-C09B-4D5A-9571-BB84F1559A49.png

229C82F6-685C-46D2-A566-6ED5BC441E2A.png

Ed do  you  happen to know what it sold for when worldwide had it ? 

58 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

Ed do  you  happen to know what it sold for when worldwide had it ? 

Joe Bortz advertised it for a while, put it on eBay and I think finally sold it to Rob Meyers.   He sold it at Hershey for 148,500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Graham Man said:

How about Frank Lloyd Wright's 1929 Cord L29?

Story goes the car was never fixed, after the 1933 crash.  The fenders were pulled around so it would drive, (rumor was he did not have the money to repair it).  Supposedly it was sold to a farmer in Iowa, pushed into a barn and has not seen the light of day since...

November 13, 1933 Crash, he was known to drive extremely fast.

b.jpg.1e074c52ac7eb72df55974e80c1f5a8f.jpg

This picture is from 1938 you can see the spare tire is missing and the fender is still bent from the accident

1018510853_1939big.jpg.a1d701d3815a937660277428f3c54473.jpg

There was a 1930 L-29 Cord Convertible Sedan in Atlanta, GA for many years.  It was used to carry Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh to the World Premier of Gone with the Wind at Atlanta’s own Loew’s Grand Theater in 1940.

• Like 2