Missing cars still thought to exist.

BobinVirginia

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

" That old car? We had the junk man tow it away while you were in Korea. I thought you'd want a new car when you got home." A friend told me that one.

I had four lesser cars vaporize between 1967 and 1971.

Just too many people expecting some level of maturity in others. A real problem all my life.

I tell every wife and closest relative that I'm the junk man. I come and get it out of the way so you can get your daily driver in the garage where it has not been possible for the last 30 years. Sometimes it works. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hunted, and found after 17 years of looking. Offer made to purchase, and refused. Ended up selling for less than I offered. New York Auto Show car, 1932. Sold new in Connecticut………last seen in Hartford for sale $125 dollars in 1952. 

You can’t win them all……but you can try! There is more to the story…..someday.

F6E99929-C09B-4D5A-9571-BB84F1559A49.png

229C82F6-685C-46D2-A566-6ED5BC441E2A.png

Man that is one stylish piece of automotive art right there.

Is this the Silhouette?  Lots of custom show cars lost to history

image.png.bc025cae616b5f0e49b7aeedb633059c.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silhouette_(show_rod)

History[edit]

Silhouette was designed in collaboration with artist Don Varner.[2] Its all-original body made it Cushenbery's first full show car, rather than custom car.

Silhouette debuted at the 1963 Oakland Roadster Show and earned Cushenbery his first Master Builder Award.[1] It won first class in the "Tournament of Frame" at the show, which prize included a trip to Paris, France for Cushenbery and his wife.[3][4] Later the car toured as part of Ford's Custom Car Caravan.[5]

Silhouette was mistakenly sold to a bodyshop in North Hollywood, then later bought by a friend of Cushenbery's who planned to restore it. The partially disassembled car was on a trailer when the car and trailer together were stolen.[6][7]

In 2013 it was reported that the bubble top and some mechanical parts had been found, but the engine and the rest of the body remained missing.[8]

Features[edit]

Silhouette was built on a shortened 1956 Buick chassis. Cushenbery hand-hammered the body out of 20-gauge steel. In the style of some other show rods of the time, Cushenbery added a bubble canopy roof — front-hinged and supplied by Acry Plastics in this case.[9][10] The body was candy-painted with a mixture of black, red, and gold.[1]

Silhouette made extensive use of electric controls on the dash or hidden in the car's trim for things like raising and lowering the bubble top, opening the hood and trunk, starting the engine, turning on and off the lights, and running the blower fans.[11]

The tires were mounted on reversed Cadillac wheels.[1]

The car was originally powered by a Buick Nailhead V8 that was later fitted with Hilborn fuel injection.

By the time the car appeared in Ford's Custom Car Caravan, the Buick engine had been swapped out for a 427 cu in (7.0 L) Ford FE engine.[3][11][5]

Models and media[edit]

Silhouette appeared in the 1965 movie "Beach Ball".[3][12]

It was also in the opening and closing sequences of the 1968 television special "Wonderful World of Wheels", driven by narrator Lloyd Bridges.[13][14]

A 1/25 scale model of the car was issued, then revised and reissued twice more, by AMT.[15]

A 1/64 scale model of Silhouette was one of the original "Sweet 16" Hot Wheels cars issued.[16] A model of the car was also manufactured in 1/43 scale by Mebetoys, and sold in the US as part of their "Gran Toros" line, and in Italy as part of their "Serie Sputafuoco", or "Spitfire series".[17] Mebetoys was bought by Mattel in 1969.

Silhouette was mentioned in a magazine article written by Tom Wolfe titled "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby".[18]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rwchatham said:

Do you know if the restoration was ever started ?

Car is in a very prominante collection of cars. The owner shows every year at pebble, and is VERY competitive in any class he enters. You don't want to park next to one of his cars on the field............it WILL be 100 points. 

This one seems rather relevant today.... might be getting bombed today...

The Horch 855 Spezial

image.png.0818a87c98f524422ad709923469b4ad.png

The Horch brand was created by a renowned German automobile engineer, August Horch, who is also dubbed as the direct ancestor of Audi. One of its popular models, a Horch 885 Spezial, was the glory of Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych’s exclusive car collection.It is also a major rare collectible car that attracts a lot of diehard pre-war era car devotees. The 855 was sold between 1937 and 1940. It had a robust 5.0-liter straight-eight engine that was capable of cranking out 100 horsepower. After the 2014 Ukraine revolution, Viktor Yanukovych was ousted and had to flee the country. No one has seen this legendary Horch 855 since then.

Ok one more....

image.png.9d9011193d0affa72ba83c78de749c60.png

The 1935 supercharged variant known as SJ model was top-of-the-line Duesy that carried an eight-cylinder, 320-horsepower powerplant under the hood.

These figures were groundbreaking and unheard-of in the mid-30s. Duesenberg sold just 26 SJ models, and continued bettering it with later models and flooding the car market with more powerful cars. Most of them have been restored except just one SJ bearing chassis number 506 that went missing, and has remained so since the early 60s.

5 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Ok one more....

The 1935 supercharged variant known as SJ model was top-of-the-line Duesy that carried an eight-cylinder, 320-horsepower powerplant under the hood.

These figures were groundbreaking and unheard-of in the mid-30s. Duesenberg sold just 26 SJ models, and continued bettering it with later models and flooding the car market with more powerful cars. Most of them have been restored except just one SJ bearing chassis number 506 that went missing, and has remained so since the early 60s.

Wow!  An SJ with a roof rack?  I like the look...

6 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Ok one more....

That picture looks far more recent than the early '60s.

• Like 2

Could be brain fog on my part but I think I saw the car in the 1960s at a car show along the shore line in Connecticut and perhaps it was owned then by Tony Paschussi? this was over 50 years ago.

I chased this one from 1986 until 2014. The car had never been seen by anyone except the family that owned it from 1951 until I pulled it out of the garage. Fantastic long story, but it's not for today. This is the 1932 Pierce Arrow V-12 Sport Phaeton New York Auto Show car.......that was parked next to the 1932 Pierce coupe shown above. It's Pierce V-12 body number one. One of one for a V-12 in 1932, and the ONLY real V-12 Pierce phaeton in the world....all the others are how shaw we say........nameless. 

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Ok one more....

This car is not missing. The photo above shows its recent restoration, which was a crime. It was a 100% original car that did not need restoring.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Has anyone seen any pictures of the 1933 Cadillac V16 Aero Dynamic Coupe in the wild at the "Century of Progress" aka: 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair in the GM Building?

🥸

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is a factory SJ. Not the most attractive Rollston ever but one of 30 odd original supercharged cars.

Think of how spectacular it would be with, say, a 3-inch lower roofline. I don't think it's bad in profile even with the extra-tall greenhouse, but an SJ chassis demands something that makes jaws drop.

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Think of how spectacular it would be with, say, a 3-inch lower roofline. I don't think it's bad in profile even with the extra-tall greenhouse, but an SJ chassis demands something that makes jaws drop.

Almost any Voisin comes to mind with mention of a chopped roof on a '30's car.

Craig

The roof line would appear considerably lower if the car was all black, or black fenders, and  roof area with dark blue body ( 1972 Mercedes Benz midnight blue) In profile the edge of the running boards and the polished belt line can be a great accent to enhance the styling IF in appropriate colors and not to many colors. I love the roof rack.  And it "works " if it stays painted the black color and isn't plated!

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, Graham Man said:

How about Frank Lloyd Wright's 1929 Cord L29?

Story goes the car was never fixed, after the 1933 crash.  The fenders were pulled around so it would drive, (rumor was he did not have the money to repair it).  Supposedly it was sold to a farmer in Iowa, pushed into a barn and has not seen the light of day since...

November 13, 1933 Crash, he was known to drive extremely fast.

b.jpg.1e074c52ac7eb72df55974e80c1f5a8f.jpg

This picture is from 1938 you can see the spare tire is missing and the fender is still bent from the accident

1018510853_1939big.jpg.a1d701d3815a937660277428f3c54473.jpg

FLW had some nice cars. This supposedly him in Arizona.6D85232F-F2C0-43FB-8D1F-4E71C8E5C2E2.jpeg.81c68cfd08f1dc484c2681f8436e8516.jpeg

• Like 4

Overall, I am 100 % sure ,I know one thing ! 

The majoritiy of vintage collector  automoblies EVER! are owned by people who are not or ,never have,or had been , involved with any sort of club or association...

This contributes a great deal to "off the grid ,under the radar or off the map once known famous cars" that may or may not show up.

If they do,it's so many years later,it's taken as a completely new discovery,as all the old timers who knew of it before, are DEAD! 

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

2 hours ago, George K said:

FLW had some nice cars. This supposedly him in Arizona.6D85232F-F2C0-43FB-8D1F-4E71C8E5C2E2.jpeg.81c68cfd08f1dc484c2681f8436e8516.jpeg

Not only is that a very rare 1924-25 Packard Sport Model (precursor to the Speedsters with narrower and lower body built by Pullman), but it has a unique rear cowl that had to have been specially built for the car. The first "official" dual cowl phaeton appeared on Locomobiles in 1917. Packard didn't start offering them until around 1928. So, it'd be interesting to know more information about this car. It's also obviously painted something other than what the factory offered. The only color the Sport Model was built in was gray and black. Of course, FLW is famous for modifying his cars with special colors and body work.

• Like 3

Flivverking,

I agree completely.  They are sitting in garages everywhere for 1000's different reasons.  I see Graham-Paige cars surface all the time, to disappear just as quickly.  I am just grateful they are being saved, and sometimes I am lucky enough to get to see a picture.

Case in point...

image.png.a6e1d7c0592f3076d91f6cea2f4b1a59.png

That used to happen 4 or 5 times a year around here. But either they are going very deep , off the radar locally . Or they are leaving the area altogether.  

Very few seem to become a part of the local Antique car activity.

And the number of new surfacing , long term sleepers , really seems to have fallen off over the last few years. 

They are almost always worth more somewhere else, so most seem to end up somewhere else.

As often as not they don't even seem to be advertised locally. I see them on Bring a Trailer , or similar sites. Usually after they have sold.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Flivverking,

I agree completely.  They are sitting in garages everywhere for 1000's different reasons.  I see Graham-Paige cars surface all the time, to disappear just as quickly.  I am just grateful they are being saved, and sometimes I am lucky enough to get to see a picture.

Case in point...

image.png.a6e1d7c0592f3076d91f6cea2f4b1a59.png

Fred Simeon bought this one, and it can be seen anytime during museum hours.

https://simeonemuseum.org/collection/1964-shelby-cobra-daytona-coupe/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Fred Simeon bought this one, and it can be seen anytime during museum hours.

It was there last month.......

• Like 1

Flivverking said "Overall, I am 100 % sure ,I know one thing ! The majoritiy of vintage collector  automoblies EVERY , are owned by people who are not or ,never have,or had been , involved with any sort of club or association...' 

Really!!! I would ask you to provide some evidence to back this up, but that would require you knowing where all those "off the map" collector automobiles are, a tall order. Personally I am not aware of even one such collector car hoarder, (yes there are a number of billionaires who own very rare seldom seen cars, perhaps 1% of all collectible cars )but what do I know? I know the Schlumph brothers got away with this for 40-50 years gathering Bugattis, but even that hoard eventually was made known (now at a National Museum in France). 

Quite the contrary, I suggest 99% of collector cars are available to be seen with the right connections, if not at shows every 5-10 years, and displayed or presented by proud owners who are likely members of many clubs. Long time members of this forum likely can tell you where just about every important collectible car is, if they are not sworn to secrecy or otherwise respectful of owners privacy.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, modela28 said:

There was a 1930 L-29 Cord Convertible Sedan in Atlanta, GA for many years.  It was used to carry Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh to the World Premier of Gone with the Wind at Atlanta’s own Loew’s Grand Theater in 1940.

Guess he had two L-29’s. They claim this is his cabriolet. Favorite color 2074D653-1143-42E1-BA89-2A82D16F5188.jpeg.530cc0f681f54dda6dc16132acb269a2.jpeg9CEF788F-C70D-4A99-B3DB-1D9511F76E25.jpeg.4fde3df0678311232ae83629f368752d.jpeg

Perhaps not collector cars in general. But there are still quite a few cars that would be of collector interest that are currently owned by people with no connection to the hobby.

Over the decades many cars have fallen out of regular use , and just been left sitting in various spots. Hopefully a weather tight building , but often anything from an open car port to a plastic tarp in a back yard.

Eventually many of these do find their way  into car hobby ownership.

I have recovered several myself over the last 5 decades . And like many old car guys, always dream of finding another . I am choosy . It has to be the right car for my particular niche of collecting. And at a price I can manage. Directly related to price is location. The nearer to me the better, and it is a major, positive factor that it is on my side of the Canada - U.S. border. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As a guy who has hunted the worlds best game(read that as cars) , and bagged way more than my limit......only two very good cars I ever came across were totally unknown to any people in the hobby......and a few fantastic world class cars were way off the radar to the people on the globe.....but at least four or five people were sitting on the info.........and eventually over five or six decades both the Duesenbergs found their way into the hobby.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

The nearer to me the better, and it is a major, positive factor that it is on my side of the Canada - U.S. border. 

But the US~CDN dollar exchange is always a negative for us in Canada.

Craig

• Like 1