Jump to content

Missing cars still thought to exist.


BobinVirginia
 Share

Recommended Posts

Corvair people still like to believe #6000 of 1969 production is around somewhere. GM is silent on it. That is the very last Corvair built. #5998 and #5999 are around.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1951 Studebaker Commander business coupe.  1958 Studebaker President Broadmoor station wagon.

 

Factory records show one of each were produced, but neither have surfaced yet.

 

There was also a prototype six cylinder van made for Westinghouse for their evaluation and testing.  Again, it has not been discovered as of yet.

 

Craig

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim Morrisons 67 GT500, known as the blue lady remains MIA after Morrison thoroughly beat the hell out of it in SoCal. Most consider it gone forever, but you just never know... 

 

Tucker #42 is still the only Tucker that remains unaccounted for, there are legendary stories of it discovered by a police officer along the banks of the Mississippi outside of Memphis, and it disappeared not long after. There are lots of versions of that story about, different legends, but ultimatley that is the only one MIA. Keep you eyes peeled! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim Morrisons 67 GT500, known as the blue lady remains MIA after Morrison thoroughly beat the hell out of it in SoCal. Most consider it gone forever, but you just never know... 

 

Tucker #42 is still the only Tucker that remains unaccounted for, there are legendary stories of it discovered by a police officer along the banks of the Mississippi outside of Memphis, and it disappeared not long after. There are lots of versions of that story about, different legends, but ultimatley that is the only one MIA. Keep you eyes peeled! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About 40 years ago it was rumored that there was an Edwardian Rolls Royce in Newport RI, still in the hands of the family of the original owner. A good friend of mine, sadly gone now, followed up on this to the point of going to the house (mansion or estate would be a more appropriate term) and asking if he could see it. Jack was a soft-spoken gentleman — not in the slightest the pushy type and whoever he spoke to admitted that they did indeed have such a car...and took him to the carriage house to see it. He told me it was a 1912 or 1913 ghost...rebodied in the early to mid 20s, probably by Brewster, as a touring car. It was clean, up on jacks and completely untouched since it had been stored away. If it hadn't been run in years, the family chauffeur turned the engine over regularly and dusted it off. The family was wealthy when the car was new and was still wealthy...they had no interest in selling it and didn't care to be bothered by aggressive collectors. The fact is, money was the least of their worries so what could you offer them for it? Does the car still exist?...there is no reason to think it doesn't. Has an early ghost with a later touring body surfaced in the area since then? I've been out of the RR loop too long to know but I certainly haven't heard of it if it has.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also understand they may have finally found the missing DB5 used in Goldfinger, stolen out of a Florida warehouse in the late 90s. Word is it has finally been tracked to the midde east, and recovery efforts are supposedly underway. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

There was also a prototype six cylinder van made for Westinghouse for their evaluation and testing.  Again, it has not been discovered as of yet.

You talking about this?

 

image-placeholder-title.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

About 40 years ago it was rumored that there was an Edwardian Rolls Royce in Newport RI, still in the hands of the family of the original owner. A good friend of mine, sadly gone now, followed up on this to the point of going to the house (mansion or estate would be a more appropriate term) and asking if he could see it. Jack was a soft-spoken gentleman — not in the slightest the pushy type and whoever he spoke to admitted that they did indeed have such a car...and took him to the carriage house to see it. He told me it was a 1912 or 1913 ghost...rebodied in the early to mid 20s, probably by Brewster, as a touring car. It was clean, up on jacks and completely untouched since it had been stored away. If it hadn't been run in years, the family chauffeur turned the engine over regularly and dusted it off. The family was wealthy when the car was new and was still wealthy...they had no interest in selling it and didn't care to be bothered by aggressive collectors. The fact is, money was the least of their worries so what could you offer them for it? Does the car still exist?...there is no reason to think it doesn't. Has an early ghost with a later touring body surfaced in the area since then? I've been out of the RR loop too long to know but I certainly haven't heard of it if it has.

 

 


The car still exists, in a very private collection along the east coast. I can’t remember if the body was Holbrook or Judkins. It’s very sexy.........and parked next to a bunch of cars that can only be described as “pre war world class”.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


The “recently” missing 1933 Packard Twelve Individual Custom Dietrich Sport Phaeton that disappeared in the mid 50’s has supposedly recently turned up.........and if one is to believe who was very quietly talking about it.....and consider what is in his garage..........I place the odds of it turning up sometime at better than even odds. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Then there is the Cadillac V-16 Aerodynamic Coupe from the 1934 Worlds Fair went missing in 1971 and absolutely nothing has been seen, heard, and no rumors of it anywhere that I know about. I chased it down to the best of my meager abilities...........and got bupkis..........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

J242 exists and has been in the same family for 60 years, but unseen to the public in decades.  I think a couple of forum members have seen it in the last few years.

 

1935 Model J Duesenberg

 

It's disassembled, although the pile still resembles a car. The engine was in the late Dale Adams' shop, I don't know what happened to it after he passed.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have posted the picture. It was part of the collection at Mace Motors in Canton, NY. My daughter went to St. Lawrence University and I stopped the old dealership the first day. Old Mr. Mace and I hit it off. I used to stop in every trip. He liked having some stop who knew what the cars were. Once I was there with my wife and he had to leave. "Just lock up when you leave" was all he said.

 

The Darrin comment is only half joking. I have seen some late 1930s or early 1940s picture on two similar cars, perhaps this one, that mentioned Darrin getting into a couple of Cords. I can see him doing that.

 

During the time my daughter was in school I was thinking more about a repop Auburn Speedster he had. The Cord had a bit too much fluff in the execution for me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have posted the picture. It was part of the collection at Mace Motors in Canton, NY. My daughter went to St. Lawrence University and I stopped the old dealership the first day. Old Mr. Mace and I hit it off. I used to stop in every trip. He liked having some stop who knew what the cars were. Once I was there with my wife and he had to leave. "Just lock up when you leave" was all he said.

 

The Darrin comment is only half joking. I have seen some late 1930s or early 1940s picture on two similar cars, perhaps this one, that mentioned Darrin getting into a couple of Cords. I can see him doing that.

 

During the time my daughter was in school I was thinking more about a repop Auburn Speedster he had. The Cord had a bit too much fluff in the execution for me.

Now I remember,   he had some Duesenberg II's in that building including a rare phaeton I think?

 

The Cord has the Darrin "dip"  but Dutch loathed ornamentation so he would hide the Landau bars inside the tops on the convertibles.   In this case it is added ornamentation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

THANK YOU ALL! This a great topic, so nice to see all the photos of lost cars. I tracked a car I got a ride in back in 1974 for over forty years, hoping to find it and Vintage Race it. It turned up in the Mark Smith collection. I really don't think he knew what he had until a few months before I called. Fortunately for the car and history he gifted it to the Revs Institute. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the story of a missing (or, more correctly, misidentified) car that was eventually found.  I've mentioned this before...I'd encourage anyone who likes history to subscribe to Mark Felton's channel. I'm not really a WW2 buff, but his presentations seem to be pretty well documented and very engaging.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...