Winter fun!

victorialynn2

YES! I grew up in Reading, PA, near the airport, my Dad had a Crosley that he converted into a convertible sports type car, tied a rope to the rear bumper and towed myself and my older brother on one of our sleds around the neighborhood usually at night and of course in the snow; that was in the mid 50's. Wow did this bring back some good memories.

• Like 5

Also, winter of 1969 into '70 while in college, Millersville State near Lancaster, PA, four of us put the top down on my TR3, piled in and drove around in the snow, at night taking turns hanging onto the rear bumperettes sliding along on just shoes which worked fine until going over a manhole cover where the snow had not quite stuck yet, so I'd have to stop and go back and get whoever lost grip, (no alcohol involved, yeah right.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

All we had was a Farmall Cub tractor...at least we were (barely) moving. 😕

Fast forward to 70s teenage years... we did have a big hill over toward Milton village! Built tire fires at the top and bottom and rode everything from real sleds to old cafeteria trays! Yeah, even some now-valuable Co-Cola button signs and car hoods...🙄

One girl had a Flexible Flyer and by the 3d night the snow had turned mostly to ice, which meant even a FF couldn't be steered. Down the hill Lillian went, squalling blue murder when she realized she couldn't  steer. She and that Flyer went right thru the fire at the bottom and on across the tarmac road, and she bailed off just before the sled went under the guardrail and into the river bottom. 

Took us half an hour to retrieve it.

There's a McMansion on top of our sled hill now.

• Like 2

In the late '60s I lived just west of Minneapolis.  One Saturday morning after a snowstorm, Tom Reese called and said to bring the wife and kids, all bundled up.  "We'll have a T-boggan party!"  He lived at the western end of Lake Minnetonka and had found a set of original tires chains for his 1913 Model T.  We went out there, he drove his T out on the ice and tied a toboggan to the rear axle, and away we went.  Temperature -20F.  LOTS of blankets!  A couple of guys came up next to us on a snowmobile -  fairly new contraption at the time - looked us over, pulled flasks out from under their heavy clothes, took healthy swigs, shook their heads in disbelief, and roared away.  Fun times!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Did you do this back in the day? Seems crazy now, but we did some crazy stuff growing up. 🤣

CA0F0EE2-7EC8-4D6E-9F13-A5517160E459.jpeg

I grew up in The Bronx and only thought that stuff happened on TV or in the movies. , there was winter fun but nothing like that

f9adabeb9676614dd2359a6b281095d9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We lived in the western suburbs of Chicago and Palos Hills had a toboggan hill in the forest preserve that was about 200 feet high. I think there were six wooden shoots. We had a eight man sled and each one of us were 200 -225 lbs and weight meant speed. About a third of the way down we jumped out of the guide rails flipping over. Eight guys sliding down the hill in a giant snow cloud. The rangers stopped the other runs. Called the ambulance to be at the bottom of the hill as they thought we would be killed by the time we hit the bottom. We all slid out of the shoot laughing like fools. They kicked us out of the forest preserve. 
dave s 

• Like 4

Some friends of mine, convinced his father to use his 1964 Chevy and pull us on a T-boggan in the snow late one night, his mother wanted to be first, then the rest of us loaded on as we went through our neighbor hood, car was going a little to fast and he slowed down suddenly and it was starting to go under car, his mother put her legs up to rear bumper to keep it from going under rear of car and broke her leg, that was then end of this  for us, we lived just south of Chicago.

• Like 1

We had a big steep sledding hill located behind a school in our northern Michigan area.  My city relatives would annually visit our extended local family over New Year's Day, and we cousins would spend the day sledding, tobogganing and skiing down that hill.  Cross country skiing consisted of being pulled over the snow covered fields by my uncle's Ford tractor. That created a lot of cherished memories.  For those kids old enough to have licenses, the family cars were taken on the local frozen lakes for a bit of impromptu racing and drifting.

We did some strange things when I was a kid.

Along the Mississippi there was a truck garage that had a bunch of cracked windshields, these made the fastest  toboggans for about 3 runs before they sagged to much in the middle.

On the St.Croix River in the still water with a couple of feet of ice using my father's  60 Dodge wagon we pulled a sled with a 50 ft rope. The spinning car would really get the sled moving.

My father was ice fishing at the time, watching.

• Like 1

Growing up and being a teenager in the 80s in New Hampshire brings back great memories. I had a buddy with a 72 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd truck that was known as the "cow truck", anyway a pile of us got together one night during a snowstorm and went to an Ames dept. store, purchased 2 plastic sleds and some rope, hooked up the sleds to the cow truck in the parking lot and started heading back home (20 miles or so), with a few inches of snow on the road and taking turns riding in the sleds was a blast. We made it a few miles from home and decided to hit some gravel roads, that's when the sleds wore through the plastic bottoms in a short distance and the guys on the sleds at the time got soaked. Sure was a blast and may even had some beer involved.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1932 plymouth pb sedan said:

Growing up and being a teenager in the 80s in New Hampshire brings back great memories. I had a buddy with a 72 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd truck that was known as the "cow truck", anyway a pile of us got together one night during a snowstorm and went to an Ames dept. store, purchased 2 plastic sleds and some rope, hooked up the sleds to the cow truck in the parking lot and started heading back home (20 miles or so), with a few inches of snow on the road and taking turns riding in the sleds was a blast. We made it a few miles from home and decided to hit some gravel roads, that's when the sleds wore through the plastic bottoms in a short distance and the guys on the sleds at the time got soaked. Sure was a blast and may even had some beer involved.

I grew up in NH also and was a teen in the 70’s & 80’s. I remember Ames in Manchester. Wasn’t that on S Willow? 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If we had had snow I’m sure we would have done something similar. Instead after big rain my brothers and I settled for towing each other on a surfboard up and down between the Flooded rows of bananas that were growing on our farm. The tow vehicle was a Honda three wheeler not exactly safe itself. I guess I would have been 9-10 at the time this was the late 80’s. It was great fun and surprisingly  I can’t remember any Injuries 

• Like 1

Back around ‘70, a friend would drive his VW big out onto Lake George in NY near our summer house. He’d start off rear slow and work his way up to 30 or 40 mph then turn the wheel and slam the breaks making us go into a spin. On occasion, we’d have a sled tied to the rear bumper and that person would get sling shotted further pulling the car around. 

• Like 2

I lived in a farm house with 12 other guys in Normal IL when I was at IL State. 
We used to take my vw convertible, put the top down and fill the top with snowballs. Then we would go over to the quad at night and there was just enough space between a couple buildings for it to make it to the main quad. We would drive all over throwing snowballs at anyone walking thru the quad. The cops chased us once but they were on foot because their patrol car couldn’t fit. We never did get caught and we did it five or six times. Great fun, good beer, crazy times but that’s what college was all about. 
dave s 

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

I lived in a farm house with 12 other guys in Normal IL when I was at IL State. 
We used to take my vw convertible, put the top down and fill the top with snowballs. Then we would go over to the quad at night and there was just enough space between a couple buildings for it to make it to the main quad. We would drive all over throwing snowballs at anyone walking thru the quad. The cops chased us once but they were on foot because their patrol car couldn’t fit. We never did get caught and we did it five or six times. Great fun, good beer, crazy times but that’s what college was all about. 
dave s 

Yes,

College is a Fountain of Knowledge,

Where students go to Drink !

• Haha 3