Paint and upholstery colors that just KILL the look of a 1930's Classic

1937hd45

Matt Harwood said "What the hell is this thing?"

21125717_1147233765377251_7319614424628370978_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=lIwx9AzNyekAX9DRMLz&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT-sIYN4V838s9G_XJLzBqBIMJdFhh6LhSEwkkZ5L2VDyA&oe=62091F9C

These are unidentified "event" cars used by  Mr. Babul Lotlikar in his business in Sagoa, Goa, India. I am sure he would be happy to give you a closer look the next time you are in India.

Lotlikar's Vintage Cars & Wedding Events

india 4.jpg

india 3.jpg

india.jpg

india 5.jpg

11102967_613313235435976_2588776772425181896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=q_gy5tcF5sQAX_TnsSS&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT8EOiWP06xEpfJGH-WEX_Mp1-1RU1LiG_l1hQRS1wzY2A&oe=6207DD0D

Edited by f.f.jones
Added info (see edit history)

I got sick of looking at the grey primer with all the dirty marks from me crawling over it, and the elderly 2nd owner told me it was  pale "greeny" colour of which I did find traces.

So I found a Dulux Birch Green in a semi gloss rattle can.

Here is the result of my $40 paint job. Everyone so far has told me the colour is perfect for the car.

IMG_20220111_151409.jpg

• 1 year later...

In the 1920s Buick was very specific as to what model got what color. I balked at repainting my 1925 Buick Standard that was painted a red/maroon metallic probably in the late 1960s. I had an old can of Lucite lacquer for 1965 GM color that seemed to match. It was almost faded to a pink when I first bought it. I did rub out the now badly cracked finish to get a better maroon color.

1925BUICKRIGHTSIDE.jpg.ce92e08d011b0dd8bc2252b2c5764556.jpgI thought I could live with it since I needed to find a correct top for it. It was to be a driver anyway. When I had to get the engine rebuilt and had the front clip off the car I thought I would get back to some original color. Brewster Green.The cost of materials shocked me and having the radiator shell replated in nickel and cost slowed me down. Changing color is not the cheap, easy fix it was back in the 1960s-70s when I painted/did body work for a living. This is as far as I have gotten.

DSC01024.jpg.fe494b9aeac1beb9e0f76fe0e8c0e88a.jpgThe incorrect 21" wheels were done in a Dark Hunter green Rustoleum. I have already done a set of 22" wheels in the correct Brewster green and have them striped.

I will get to the change out hopefully this spring. I prefer to be able to drive my cars while I can. I hope to get another section done when I can save up for the paint and materials. Not content with dealing with this car, I bought another 1925 Buick but a Master. It was close by and the family accepted my token offer. Originally a late 1924 build all black car. The later 1925 build color was to be Cobalt Blue. The previous owner resurected the car spanning 1963-1980. His son said they did paint the body a much darker blue. Then after several years he changed it to a much lighter blue.

DSCF5685.JPG.aeed86f7a73ac0c586917804a518aaa0.JPGAs was the custom at the time he also stripped the wheel spokes and varnished them also painted the rims with white house paint and 600 X 22" white walls. He also had a 1927 Chevrolet orchard truck that was the traditional Forest Green color. The son said at about the same time he repainted it a Lime Green.

DSCF5635.JPG.85189fb4e2c17869e398442022ef9e05.JPG

So far my efforts to go to a Cobalt Blue have only extended to the rear wheels.

DSC01142.jpg.8db93d06f037ff2075585a046edbf0ec.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/14/2021 at 2:42 PM, John Bloom said:

A big full classic painted white.......other than a few exceptions is the hobby’s version of the Scarlet Letter. 

maybe done passive aggressively to create a car that “no one will love but me” ensuring that the car is impossible to move in the future when your wife says “get that thing out of here”.

I kinda like my big white full classic. It was painted 65 years ago, before I was born so I didn't choose the color. Yet, I'm not inclined to repaint it. But I have thought about what color I would do if I did repaint. So many great options, and it very likely not be white again. Originally it was black.  But I'll never, ever give up the wide whitewalls.

Colors, style, whitewalls, all a matter of individual preference.

right side 1929 Duesenberg Murphy CC.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Hemi Joel said:

I kinda like my big white full classic. It was painted 65 years ago, before I was born so I didn't choose the color. Yet, I'm not inclined to repaint it. But I have thought about what color I would do if I did repaint. So many great options, and it very likely not be white again. Originally it was black.  But I'll never, ever give up the wide whitewalls.

Joel, blackwalls and a black top would make everyone forget about other colors.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hemi Joel said:

Joel, that car is just fabulous.  I would enjoy it as is, but as you say, if you are inclined to repaint it, I would explore all my options and would take it in a different direction....... a darker direction. It would look great to be black again.

Another thing I’ve learned through the years is a color scheme that I don’t particularly care for in a photograph, might give me a completely different impression when it is seen in person.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

With a Duesenberg J convertible coupe,  I would people should be too blown away by the car to care one iota about what color it happens to be.  And any 65-year old paint job is perfect.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

Hi Joel, the car looks great with the wide whites, I would not change a thing, Alen

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Oh Mathew, what are we going to do with you....

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Regardless, that picture may as well have been a Black & White photograph.  

All one sees aside from black & white are some muddy browns and a little red bullseye.  Reminds me of how much I hate winter!!

Craig

11 hours ago, V16 said:

Hi Joel, the car looks great with the wide whites, I would not change a thing, Alen

Have I been spelling your name wrong forever?   Since I have tremendous respect for your taste (it is identical to mine) I'll lay off the tires.    The paint is fine,  not worth the 150K it would cost to paint it.  Plus that just starts a process that you will regret.

• Like 1

I like the black tires on the restored car, but the white brake drums (hell.... the whole white chassis) ruin it.

I agree with Al, in my opinion the chrome wheels dictate black tires. If the wheels were painted in a dark color, white sidewalls are fine.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.35.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.35.21 AM.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Have I been spelling your name wrong forever?   Since I have tremendous respect for your taste (it is identical to mine) I'll lay off the tires.    The paint is fine,  not worth the 150K it would cost to paint it.  Plus that just starts a process that you will regret.

Around Illinois we call Allen "Mr. Allen", but since everyone is always confused on how to spell his first name and now that he threw a different variant into the mix I guess we should now start calling him "Mr. A".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I like the black tires on the restored car, but the white brake drums (hell.... the whole white chassis) ruin it.

I agree with Al, in my opinion the chrome wheels dictate black tires. If the wheels were painted in a dark color, white sidewalls are fine.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.35.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.35.21 AM.png

I seen the bottom white car during it's most recent restoration. In person the colors work. If memory services me right, the bottom car was originally white and owned by an actress and has an early J number. The above pictures show an excellent contrast on what a disappearing top does to the ascetics of a car.  I would be happy to have either car sitting in the garage and I would still be seen cheesing driving a white duesy.

4 hours ago, Tph479 said:

I seen the bottom white car during it's most recent restoration. In person the colors work. If memory services me right, the bottom car was originally white and owned by an actress and has an early J number. The above pictures show an excellent contrast on what a disappearing top does to the ascetics of a car.  I would be happy to have either car sitting in the garage and I would still be seen cheesing driving a white duesy.

Someday I will learn how to type and then read my text before hitting enter!  Allen

• Like 1

What a magnificent machine! As I look at the car I'm struck by it's presence. This car in this condition and color combination has developed a personality and following that goes back three generations. IMHO to change that identity now would be a real stretch at this point. Some people, like me, would mourn it's passing.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:18 PM, Tph479 said:

Was that the "Mae West" car?

Here's my '35 Packard convertible sedan.  Is this color scheme ok with you all or do I need to have it repainted?  Do not know if it is an original Packard color and would love to hear from anyone who knows.

Glen

IMG_2184b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Was that the "Mae West" car?

No, the white car with the white undercarriage is J108, sold new to Mrs. Harry Robinson (J.W. Robinson's department store) of Los Angeles. It is a very early, one off car with front hinged doors, more rake to the windshield, a nearly vertical rear curtain, and a peaked deck lid. You can see the car in action in the movie "The Gay Divorcee".    

https://youtu.be/PTAG2e7d6pM?feature=shared&t=1344

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

You should have seen the colors of my 1912 Model T when I bought it.  Off white body, black fenders and white vinyl upholstery.

That was White? It was so off color I thought it was Gray. 🙃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

You should have seen the colors of my 1912 Model T when I bought it.  Off white body, black fenders and white vinyl upholstery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 'cream' or ivory color was offered on Model T's before Henry came out with his 'available only in black' mandate in 1914.

Craig

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

That was White? It was so off color I thought it was Gray. 🙃

What ever color it was, it was ugly.

47 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 'cream' or ivory color was offered on Model T's before Henry came out with his 'available only in black' mandate in 1914.

Craig

Not this one. I believe that it was painted that color with white vinyl upholstery in the 60's.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:39 AM, 8E45E said:

Craig

Automotive history is filled with exceptions to the rule!

The general rule is, that in America for the first several decades of the automobile, light "colors" including off-whites, were not common, or popular. Yet, Buick built their "White Streak" series of cars around 1910, which were rather popular for a few years. Whether that popularity was in part due to or entirely in spite of the whiteness of the cars is subject to debate.

Numerous low production automobiles over those decades offered a model or two in a near white. Most are rarely if ever seen. Expensive special order custom cars were sometimes ordered in white or very light colors. I have read of a brass era Pierce Arrow, and a couple Rolls Royces.

And, YES! Even Henry's infamously "black" model T Ford came from the factory in a very light (almost white!) gray! With a few other special exceptions, in one body style only, for a bit over one year only, the 1909 runabout's standard color was light gray.

Black Fords started with the assembly line.  Prior to this, the bodies were dried on a 'drying rack', but with the assembly line the only color that would dry fast enough was 'Japan Black'

John

'

• Like 1