Another American Original is Gone.......

edinmass

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/09/29/george-frayne-aka-rock-star-commander-cody-dead-77/5921636001/

A fun guy from upstate New York. I play his songs often at the bar......to piss off the millennials!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A few factoids about the song Hot Rod Lincoln.

The original was released in 1955 by Charlie Ryan. In the original, the Hot Rod Lincoln actually had a Lincoln V12 ("... it's got TWELVE cylinders and uses them all...").

The second version that charted was released by Johnny Bond in 1960. He's the one who demoted the V12 to a V8.

The Commander Cody version was the most popular (number nine on the charts in 1972).

Hot Rod Lincoln is actually a sequel to the song Hot Rod Race by Arkie Shibley from 1950. That song ends:

When it flew by us, I turned the other way.
The guy in Mercury had nothing to say,
For it was a kid, in a hopped-up Model A.

Of course that Model A is the Hot Rod Lincoln.

• Like 3

You are right Joe. That is a lost bit of music history that very few are aware of today or even back in 1971 when Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen released this version.

I seem to recall an Old Cars Weekly article about an Lincoln H-Series V-12 powered 1930 Ford Model A coupe that was the inspiration for the Hot Rod Lincoln.   The photos showed it was fitted with Ford V8 wire wheels and other early hot rod modification.  Does anyone else recall that article?

RIP Commander Cody. 

54 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I seem to recall an Old Cars Weekly article about an Lincoln H-Series V-12 powered 1930 Ford Model A coupe that was the inspiration for the Hot Rod Lincoln.   The photos showed it was fitted with Ford V8 wire wheels and other early hot rod modification.  Does anyone else recall that article?

RIP Commander Cody. 

Allegedly Charlie Ryan himself built the original V12 Hot Rod Lincoln, though the stories differ in the details.

Hot-rod-lincoln.jpg

https://www.precisiontune.com/charlie-ryans-self-built-hot-rod-lincoln-inspired-the-song/

https://lmtribune.com/a_and_e/that-hot-rod-lincoln/article_30ca8687-372b-5e16-954d-27c9b2252071.html

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/music/in-search-of-the-true-hot-rod-lincoln/

RIP George Frayne, I had at least one of their albums in my collection.  But youre a bit late to the party Ed. He passed away last month! Although this is the first I have heard of it. I was at a car show a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy wearing his Commander Cody concert shirt. I thought to myself 'It has been a few years since I have thought of that band'. I now know why he was wearing it.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/09/29/george-frayne-aka-rock-star-commander-cody-dead-77/5921636001/

A fun guy from upstate New York. I play his songs often at the bar......to piss off the millennial!

Get the generations correct! Gen Z are the sensitive ones not us! We didn’t grow up with participation trophies 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MetroPetro said:

Sorry to hear, used to party with them a lot ! Great musicians , always a good time at the shows (and after parties). First selfie on my phone is me and George backstage. George was a trip, I will miss him . Lots of great memories though.

RIP George.

I don't know if you can call him a great musician, he did have a hit, but great? I don't know about. That is pretty rare air to be called great in that game

I was heartbroken to hear of his passing on the radio. Hot Rod Lincoln is a classic, I listened over and over until I could recite it by heart. Had a buddy in high school that got a kick out of me sing it on demand. Also loved his version of "Smoke smoke smoke"... "Tell St Peter at the golden gate that you just hate to make him wait but you've just gotta have another cigarette!"

• Haha 1

I really liked those "talking" songs from the early 70's (because I couldn't/can't sing very well, I suppose.) I memorized Uneasy Rider and all the CW McCall bread commercials when I was in junior high, but Hot Rod Lincoln was my favorite. I loved the free wheeling, irreverent style of country-ish bands like the ones Commander Cody and Dr. Hook fronted. Many condolences to Commander's family and loved ones.

Here's the first talking song I remember from the radio. it was from a few years earlier, and pretty controversial, as I recall. I don't think my mom liked me memorizing this one 😄:

You guys are going completely “Dr. Demento”.

I saw The Hot Rod Lincoln in a little car museum in Eastern Washington State around 15 years ago. The frame was sawed off rather crudely to fit the Model A body on top, but I don’t know how else they could have done it. It was cool to see it.

Edited by Steve9 (see edit history)

They are leaving us at a frightening pace..........like many of my closest car friends, who are almost all one or two generations ahead of me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George K said:

Too Much Fun. My all time favorite.RIP.

How about the "Down to seeds and stems again Blues"?

I saw CC several times in my life time and am not ashamed to admit I don't remember all of them very well.

There's a whole lot of things I ain't never done, But I ain't never had "to much fun".

Thank you George.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, joe_padavano said:

A few factoids about the song Hot Rod Lincoln.

The original was released in 1955 by Charlie Ryan. In the original, the Hot Rod Lincoln actually had a Lincoln V12 ("... it's got TWELVE cylinders and uses them all...").

The second version that charted was released by Johnny Bond in 1960. He's the one who demoted the V12 to a V8.

The Commander Cody version was the most popular (number nine on the charts in 1972).

Hot Rod Lincoln is actually a sequel to the song Hot Rod Race by Arkie Shibley from 1950. That song ends:

When it flew by us, I turned the other way.
The guy in Mercury had nothing to say,
For it was a kid, in a hopped-up Model A.

Of course that Model A is the Hot Rod Lincoln.

Arkie Shibley also recorded FOUR sequels to "Hot Rod Race":

"Hot Rod Race #2" - Arkie bemoans the post-race condition of his Ford

"Arkie Meets The Judge (Hot Rod Race #3)" - Arkie is jailed for street racing

"The Guy In The Mercury (Hot Rod Race #4)" - from the viewpoint of Arkie's competitor

"The Kid In The Model A (hot Rod Race #5)" - from the viewpoint of the kid

• Thanks 1

I'm lost in the ozone again.....👍

Yep, all of our greats are going away fast. 

Most of their songs make great garage music.

• Like 1

Very sad news. I have been a fan since the early 1980s, when most kids my age would have had no idea who Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen were, and would have thought the music uncool if they did. I have seen Bill Kirchen live several times, he is amazing. Here is a pic I took of Kirchen and the Commander himself in 2016. He looked ill back then already, but he still put on an amazing show and graciously signed my copy of Lost In The Ozone. I am listening to it right now. 

Commander Cody 2016.jpg

Edited by Big Beat (see edit history)
  • Like 3