Broke newbie just starting out

HeavyRoller

Hi all. Just joined this forum. My name is Nate. I've been staring at old cars on Craigslist for years (used to be mostly 2nd gen Camaros but now anything before 1981 interests me) and decided that I would really like a vintage 4 wheeled headache to drive and wrench on instead of a reliable modern car. I live in Longmont Co and ever year there is one magical cruise night where vintage car owners from all over Colorado show up to cruise and show their rides. As a vintage bicycle enthusiast I enjoy cruise night on 2 wheels. One day I will have a classic car of my to cruise. There is a great car scene in my area and I should really make some friends/acquaintances around here to help get me started and possibly point me towards a good starter car once I have some funds saved up. I'm not incredibly picky yet.... But I'm sure I will narrow my interests in time. It didn't take long with old bicycles to figure out what I was really into. Anyway glad to have joined the forum. 

20210725_012852.jpg

20210731_171009.jpg

20210905_104308.jpg

Edited by HeavyRoller (see edit history)
  • Like 7

If you get an older car you will need a place to keep it - ie a proper garage that isn't damp and is waterproof. It will also give you a place to keep in good order the work and time you put into it. That is something else you need to consider and look for.

Welcome to the forums, read all you an here a lot of sage advice.  Join AACA , the magazine is worth the cost of the dues alone!

• Like 5

Unfortunately I don't have a spot in the garage. The car would be exposed to the Colorado elements. I could probably get a covered parking spot but no garage space. Perhaps something cheaper (4-6k) with some "patina" until I can get a garage space.   I would feel absolutely terrible if my bicycle fell into someone's car. Hasn't happened yet but I will park with sufficient space from now on. I'd rather ding up my prewar bike than someone else's car. If I were to get an old truck it would probably be a 50s or 60s stepside (chevy or Ford) but I'm leaning more towards a car. Something with a V8, manual trans, RWD. Don't necessarily need crazy power. Can't afford the used tire bills or speeding tickets 🙂   but that could change as my interest changes. 

Edited by HeavyRoller (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Colorado still has treasure to give up

tucked away in the cities and mountains.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and enjoy the images of your bike(s) showcased with the vehicles.

I don’t remember seeing that particular perspective before - but it is fitting as the automobile evolved from the bicycle - as did the airplane …. 🤔

Jim

• Like 2

Nate, you have an interesting hobby ahead of you!

One tip, to make your money go farther:  Buy an

old car that isn't popular.  As in any market, some

varieties become popular and are therefore priced

much higher:  Muscle cars, convertibles, etc.

For example, a 1970 Oldsmobile 88 2-door hardtop,

or a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado (came in 2-door versions only)

is typically valued much less than a 1970 Chevrolet Camaro.

Also, beware of asking prices that are far more than

a car is worth.  Many dealers, and some optimistic private

parties, may ask double a car's worth--and double what

they just paid!

I agree with others that a proper garage is needed.

Your car may have "patina" (wear and tear), but it will

get much more "patina" (deterioration) if left exposed.

Your pride and joy will gradually decline, as will its value.

The decline will be fast if the car is driven in wintertime salt.

If you live in small towns or rural areas, garages may be

found for $50 a month.  And if your antique car is used

for hobby purposes--not as regular transportation--

your insurance may be only $100 a year.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

HeavyRoller, only touble with the pic's is that each one has a car dominating the background thereby taking away the enjoyment of solely looking at your bicycle!😉

I've got PLENTY of pictures of just my bicycles. I just figured the others were more suitable since this is an "antique" automobile forum. The blue one, my nicest bike, is a 37 Dayton (huffy). The brown (actually heavy pitted rust) one is a 36 Firestone Fleetwood (Huffman ie Huffy). The red one is a 36 Rollfast fastback. And I have an 07 Harley nightster for when I want to go FAST. 

20210504_172120.jpg

20210610_180240.jpg

20210911_224327.jpg

20210911_224408.jpg

20210911_223442.jpg

• Like 6

Is that a '37 Lincoln-Zephyr in the second picture?

If you had unlimited interest in the Bike-Car Connection....you could study all the bicycle companies that evolved into hydrocarbon voiturettes, the term folks used to separate the gasoline cars from the more common steam and electric ones 120 years ago. The first gasoline car was an 1870s invention by Austrian Siegfried Marcus, but steam and electric propulsion were popular in the horseless carriage era, too. There were also a lot of bicycle racers who got into car racing and car building(Tom Cooper, Barney Oldfield, Fred & August Duesenberg, Louis Chevrolet

Off the top of my head, these bicycle makers also built cars:

1. Winton
  2. Pope
  3. Pierce
  4. Peerless
  5. Rambler
  6. Columbia
  7. Peugeot
  8. Bugatti

1904 Pierce Chainless Drive...Pierce Bicycle image.jpeg.8853f3842e9e7a57a3202e2885ec7d7c.jpeg...Columbia BicycleLOT #115 - 1895 Winton Pneumatic Safety | Bicicletas.

1895 Winton Pneumatic Safety Bicycle

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You need to find a garage to rent as my friend John S states. Where do you keep your bicycles and motorcycle if you don't have a garage?

I also agree that the use of any car in wet and winter months when there is salt on the road is going to see your car disappear, and all of us loose something that has survived 50 + years.

This is by no means a criticism nor to discourage you, just reality. Have respect for the car you buy that it is still here because a lot of people over the decades took the time to make sure it existed under somewhat acceptable conditions.

I wish you well in your search .

Walt

• Like 4

I like your old bike.

I restored a 50'S Columba and put new tires on it a few years ago and would drive it on the city streets until I was constantly passed at 50 MPH only a few feet away.

I hung it in my garage as a decoration until they built a bike path near me.

I cut it down and had a nice ride until the front tire blew out.

I put it in my truck and the next day the rear tire blew up just sitting there!

So much for my riding, until a friend gave me a brand new mountain bike that he didn't like. As soon as I get it all adjusted I will try again. (PS, i am 81. and have 12 antique cars.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, I like the bike in your last picture the best!  I wouldn’t need to work as hard on it to get where I was going. 

Remember this hobby is about having fun. Buy the best car you can so you don’t get overwhelmed by the work and cost. It’s better to wait a while to do that. 
dave s 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!  Interesting collection of two-wheelers you are enjoying.  Among the good advice rendered so far is to keep an open mind when it comes to makes, models and decades acceptable for potential purchase.  Those less frequently pursued can provide great enjoyment value for modest investment.  Of course, once you purchase one, you will have to answer multiple questions about what it is and even what company built it.  All part of the fun.

I recommend you frequent the "Not Mine For Sale" section of the Auto and Parts for sale as a number of us repost collector car advertised on other on-line sited which might represent good values for those seeking a car $10K or less, some far less.  Some early 1960's compacts, many 1940's-early 1950's six cylinder Mopars pop-up that might be your best bet.  Same period four door Chevrolets and Pontiacs have good survival rates in decent condition for reasonable money.  Same is true of 1960's full-size Mercurys.  You'll see the pattern once you've reviewed a number of ads.

Anyway,  Again Welcome and please keep us apprised of your search, absolutely ask advice on any and all you are considering.  We'll do our best to give you good advice to perhaps avoid the pitfalls.   Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Welcome aboard!  Interesting collection of two-wheelers you are enjoying.  Among the good advice rendered so far is to keep an open mind when it comes to makes, models and decades acceptable for potential purchase.  Those less frequently pursued can provide great enjoyment value for modest investment.  Of course, once you purchase one, you will have to answer multiple questions about what it is and even what company built it.  All part of the fun.

I recommend you frequent the "Not Mine For Sale" section of the Auto and Parts for sale as a number of us repost collector car advertised on other on-line sited which might represent good values for those seeking a car $10K or less, some far less.  Some early 1960's compacts, many 1940's-early 1950's six cylinder Mopars pop-up that might be your best bet.  Same period four door Chevrolets and Pontiacs have good survival rates in decent condition for reasonable money.  Same is true of 1960's full-size Mercurys.  You'll see the pattern once you've reviewed a number of ads.

Anyway,  Again Welcome and please keep us apprised of your search, absolutely ask advice on any and all you are considering.  We'll do our best to give you good advice to perhaps avoid the pitfalls.   Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. I am just fine with something less sought after. So long as I can find parts for it. I'll for sure keep ya'll updated. 

• Like 3

When I buy a car, I never buy somebody's "restoration.

Mainly because you never know where he has skimped over or hid damage until you start to drive it for 6 months or so.

I think it is best to buy a car that shows the damage that needs to be repaired, that way you will know your limitations of skill and money that you have to invest in to it. 👍

Many "show" cars are only built to look pretty, not run real well.  🥵

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding "never buying somebody's restoration" I can appreciate and understand the comment, but if you belong to a car club - especially a one make club ( ie Pierce Arrow Society, Franklin Club ) due to the number of survivors , cars if "restored" ( partially or totally) most likely are well known among the members and have a track record of use, owners, reliability, etc. so I can not agree that any restored car is a unknown entity and should not be considered. Ask to see receipts for work done, note who did it etc.

• Like 4

Join the local antique car club, they'll enjoy your bikes too.   The club is where you'll refine your seach amd learn enough to be a informed buyer.

Might even find a car there.   Like most of of us, there are members with cars like you could be interested in, tucked away awaiting you discovery.

Recently I saw a 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, looked great asking $12,000.  Probably sell for $10,000.   One onlooker said "a flat head 6 with no power".    May be true but it ws good enough to survive for  70 years.

Enjoy the hobby for awhile while you re-define your seach for a garage and a old car.

Welcome, enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

I have a good friend that loves old cars. He however is drawn to 50s and 60s four door Fords, Mercurys and Edsels. Every time he finds a good deal on a solid one he scrapes together some cash which is usually under $2k and brings it home. Over the years he has amassed a large pole barn full of cars and keeps buying more. My point is this man makes a fairly meager living yet finds some really cool cars to drive! A solid mid-sixties four door can be found at extremely reasonable prices. Check craigslist and local want ads and trade papers. Join a club and get to know local car enthusiasts. It won't take long for you to find something you will be able to afford and enjoy.

Good luck! The search is half the fun!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, Walt G said:

If you get an older car you will need a place to keep it - ie a proper garage that isn't damp and is waterproof. It will also give you a place to keep in good order the work and time you put into it. That is something else you need to consider and look for.

Welcome to the forums, read all you an here a lot of sage advice.  Join AACA , the magazine is worth the cost of the dues alone!

Good advice 

• Like 2

I once went to a fellows place on the east side of Cleveland to see some bikes he had for sale. He had one Pierce, one Peerless, and one Winton, all from the 1890-1900 period. I remember the Peerless was $5,000, so this isn't a budget pursuit by any means....but these were exceptional examples. I had no idea there was such a thing as a Winton bicycle, made by one of the most important American pioneer carmakers.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, Roger Walling said:

When I buy a car, I never buy somebody's "restoration.

Mainly because you never know where he has skimped over or hid damage until you start to drive it for 6 months or so.

I think it is best to buy a car that shows the damage that needs to be repaired, that way you will know your limitations of skill and money that you have to invest in to it. 👍

Many "show" cars are only built to look pretty, not run real well.  🥵

How True …

I tell women that I show the damage 

that needs to be repaired - they have 

to decide if I am worth the investment 

of their limited skill and money … 🤔

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Love the old bicycles! A great way to get into vintage transportation. I certainly hope that your bikes are getting appreciated at the gatherings you attend, as they deserve to be appreciated as culturally significant vehicles.

For people looking to get into cool old cars on a budget, my three standard responses have been: Corvairs, VW beetles and early fifties flathead six Mopars. To be fair, though, I don't know if that still applies. I've seen Corvairs and VW's going up in price a bit lately. There are probably many other options I haven't though of. Since you're on two wheels, I love seeing old '70's Japanese motorcucles, too. They have a great vibe. The first place I'd go if looking seriously for cars would be the "not mine" for sale forum on this site. A couple of the guys put a lot of effort in searching out and posting old cars that are affordable or good values.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum. Youth and enthusiasm can overcome a lot of obstacles. You have to decide what era of car you are interested in, a 50's car will seem much more vintage than a 60's model. But if you are planning to use the car as daily transportation, the newer will be better. There are lots of cars from the 70's that are pretty cool and interesting. You also want something with plentiful and affordable parts support. I have a project which has been stalled for years because certain critical parts have not been available. The parts are now available but very expensive. Buy something that is already running and in current use, no need to make things too hard on your first project. To those naysayers that tell you that you are not in the proper position to mess with old cars, I answer; when is the time perfect in our lives for anything? Good luck on your journey.

Welcome, Heavy Roller. This is indeed a wonderful hobby. 

There are SO MANY affordable models to choose from, and MOST of us have had to "work our way up" from lesser cars to better cars throughout our lives. For example, if you found a 4-door Olds, Buick, or Pontiac sedan from the 60's or 70's in really good original condition, you could polish and detail it, and get lots of enjoyment from it at a very reasonable cost. Then one day, SOMEONE will ask if you would be willing to sell it. If you're lucky, you might get all your investment back...or even gain a little. Hopefully by then your finances will have improved (especially if your family has been enjoying the older car and will support further investments in the hobby). Then you have a better chance of "upgrading" to that convertible or 2 door hardtop you've always admired. 

And I'll repeat the advice that many of the very-wise and experienced car hobbyists on this forum have already said: Join AACA and some local car clubs right away. It's an excellent decision for a beginning car hobbyist.  

• 3 weeks later...